Monotype Matchmaking Week 13 - Terrakion (Fighting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...

Approved by scpinion
idea from nv
Banner by Disbelief

All Pokemon are unable to function effectively without their checks and counters gone, which is where their teammates come in. These partners are capable of dismantling multiple Pokemon proving a threat to their teammates, providing invaluable support and thus are often seen as the heart of the team.
This project aims to brainstorm various ideal and effective partners to various Pokemon in a single type that may range from metagame defining Pokemon to more underrated threats.

Procedure

Every week, I will nominate a Pokemon for discussion of potential partners and submissions. If the Pokemon happens to be dual typed, I will specify what type I am looking for from the partners. For example, if I nominate Keldeo, I will specify that week that I am looking for good Water or Fighting partners that pair well with it. In that week, you will have the chance to submit any good partners for that chosen Pokemon, and after the course of the week I will put it to a vote for the best partner(s) for that chosen Pokemon and put it into the archive. People that manage to get into the archive multiple times with good submissions will be let into the Hall of Fame.

Rules

1. Stick with things high up on the viability rankings. Pokemon such as Mienshao and Vaporeon which are considered very niche should not be nominated at all.
2. Reservations are perfectly welcome. However, in your reservation post you must state when you will be able to get your reservation done. This time frame must be no longer than 12 hours. After this time has expired, other users can take your reservation and do it for themselves. If you do not state a time frame your reservation expires in exactly two hours.
3. Don't theorymon. Post Pokemon that you have experience with, or have seen it have quite some use, don't pull Pokemon out of thin air that you think will work well. Have some experience first please.
4. Explain how and why the Pokemon you chose works well. For example, offensive synergy in terms of wearing down each other's checks and counters or defensive synergy in terms of checking threats to the specified type.
5. Be nice to others with your posts and only post meaningful things. One-liners clutter up the thread, as do random memes.
6. Calcs are nice, but not compulsory.
7. Enjoy :)
8. ONE PARTNER PER POST PLEASE!!!

Last edited:

Seo.

Week 1

Landorus-I
Type: Flying

Build Deadline: May 26
Voting Deadline: May 29

Feel free to pm me ideas for week 2

Last edited:

I think Landorus-I and Mega-Charizard-Y is a great offensive core. These two monsters support each other by taking down other's walls. Landorus-I has a major weakness to Ice types, but with the support of Charizard's powerful fire attacks they have a big problem in their way. The fact that Mega Charizard Y has Drought helps both Charizard and Landorus deal with water types.

If Charizard can't handle specific rock types, Landorus can usually take it on with a powerful Earth Power.

Usually if Landorus can't take on, Charizard can handle it, visa versa. Though, special walls that aren't weak to Fire, Flying, Grass, Ground and some other types (Dragon, Fighting, Poison) can handle this core if it has reliable recovery.

Last edited:

Seo.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute/Taunt

Landorus is weak to Ice and Water, which Gyarados resists, where as Gyarados is weak to electric and rock where Landorus resists. This offensive core works really well together and corresponds with each others threats easily. The only threat to this core is Kyurem Black, which flying in general basically has a problem with.

Last edited:
Well, I'm going to bring up one of favorite pokemons overall, Articuno
Articuno's STAB combo of Freeze-dry and Hurricane helps it deal with Grass, Bug, Flying, Ice and Water types who either resist Lando's Earth Power or hit it super effectivelly, like Mamoswine, Starmie, Mega Venusaur and Gastrodon.
It's also actually bulky enough to switch-in on an ice or water move (preferencially special) and it has access to toxic and roost to better deal with walls like mandibuzz, porygon 2, jellicent and zapdos

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry
- Toxic
- Roost

some calcs
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 181-214 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 24.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 87-103 (22.7 - 26.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Articuno Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 240-283 (66.4 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 120-142 (31.3 - 37%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 246-290 (64 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 336-396 (78.8 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Articuno Hurricane vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 270-320 (75.2 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Starmie: 234-276 (90.3 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Double Edge

This mon doesn't cover any of lando-I weakness but it provides good Physical Pairing with special lando-I this wall breaking dou can be devastating to alot of types that can be annoying to Flying such as normal and rock.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch

I see Dragonite as an amazing partner for Landorus-I, due to the fact that they are both 2 of Flying's best wallbreakers. Landorus hits incredibly hard on the special side of the spectrum, firing STAB Sheer Force LO Earth Powers, and can provide unique Psychic/Poison Coverage (which can be used to ease the Fairy matchup a bit, and be able to threaten Poison and Fighting). Focus Blast is also commonly used for Fighting Coverage (especially vs Steel and Normal). Dragnet on the other hand is one out of a very very small pool of mons on Flying that can provide priority, in its case in the form of Extreme Speed. Banded STAB Outrage is gonna put dents into anything that doesn't resist it. Superpower is for additional Fighting Coverage, and Fire Punch is commonly used it hit Skarmory.

Thundurus (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Wild Charge

Banded Thundy can handle some of the problems Lando has, like with skarmory, mew, basically a lot of special walls that Lando has trouble breaking such as chansey, as well as outspeeding some things like keldeo and base 110's, like Gengar.
252 Atk Choice Band Thundurus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 292-344 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Thundurus Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 272-324 (69 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Thundurus Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 476-562 (74.1 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Thundurus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cradily: 370-436 (98.4 - 115.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Seo.

Reminder that u have until May 26 to finish your cores! anyone can join

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot

Lando - I's wallbreaking powers are fierce, but it's Speed Tier leaves much to be desired in this meta where scarves are prevalent, and can only carry so many moves to cover all 18 types. Thundurus remedies this with its usage of Prankster T-Wave and its excellent Speed, statusing threats such as Kyu - B, Scarftini and Terrakion, and taking out what Lando fails to do with its moves; for example, Keldeo. Thundy takes the cake in Flying's many mons to support Lando - I with both crippling effects and much needed coverage to break down numerous teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)