Monotype Teambuilding Competition V2 Cycle 16 - Infernape + Fletchinder [Voting Stage]

Status
Not open for further replies.
(approved by scpinion, stole basically everything from Lax, banner by Zarif

Hello and welcome to the Monotype edition of the Teambuilding Competition! The goal of this project is to observe and better understand how experienced Mono players go about building their teams around a particular core. It's also a great way to improve and refine your own teambuilding skills, or just simply learn how others do it! Anyone is free to participate and I encourage as much discussion as possible; however, I'd like to point out that you do not have to post a team to contribute to this thread. Feedback is allowed and actually preferred in this thread, so if you have comments or concerns about someone's team, don't be afraid to post it! The process is as follows:

Each round, I will choose a core of two Pokemon from a specific Type (or only one Pokemon sometimes). It is then up to you to build a team around it, designing sets, teammates, roles, and everything in between. Identifying weaknesses, strategies, and so forth are key parts of teambuilding and I'm quite interested to see how that carries through in this thread. I also hope to emphasize a lot of creativity with this as well—new gems and underrated Pokemon and cores are popping up all the time, and hopefully this thread can bring about a lot of new discoveries about the metagame! At the beginning of the Voting Period, there will be a poll in the monotype room on PS! to decide the type for next week. There will be 2-3 options usually. I'll make a post announcing that when it goes up, and it will last around 6 hours. After the submission period is over (which will be after a week) I will announce the voting period, where you will get 3 days to vote on what you think is the best team. By the end of the voting period, the votes will be tallied and team with the most votes will be archived in the Hall of Fame I will be posting below, and the process will start again with a new core. This idea is like the CC (Core Challenges) Program except it lets anyone share their team!

Some rules I'm expecting people to follow:

• Make the post presentable. Fancy cute sprites are encouraged! (Think about size though)
  • Make sure you have a paragraph describing how your team functions and how it supports the core. If I wanted to look at a pastebin of some mediocre team, I would go to the RMT forum and hunt for the locked threads made by users with such pristine names like Pikachu77.
  • Don't insult users if their teams aren't up to standard, feel free to question why people are running certain things or suggest changes that will make the team better. In fact, I highly encourage discussion but don't be rude about it. Basically, just don't be a jackass. Use hide tags when posting your team. Don't be that douchebag that makes everyone scroll down for an extra 5 seconds. If you don't put spoiler boxes, either fix it or I won't feature the team in the voting process.
  • Be creative! While there'll be no restrictions this time around, try to explore uncommon Pokemon if circumstances allow it. Channel your inner hipster.
  • You are allowed to edit your teams with testing and / or feedback from other people (i.e. you realize it sucks or gets 6-0ed by something), however be sure to make note of these edits in the original post. Once the voting period begins however, you cannot edit your teams anymore.
  • No banners. They are annoying and clog the thread.
Happy building, everyone!

Last edited:
I'll vote fluxx and Arectaris :) (sucks I can only have 2 votes for this one xD)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6ti
This week's winner is... Confluxx! Congrats man, you made a pretty cool team. s/o yo Dece1t and Zukushiku for second and third place, respectively.
Confluxx: 9
Arectaris: 2
Zukushiku: 6
Dece1t: 7
Rimz: 2

This week's core will be grass type, featuring...

Abomasnow, and...

Cradily!

Abomasnow can run a variety of sets, such as offensive mega or choice scarf, and cradily is generally a special wall/hazard setter.​
Have fun building, and good luck to all participants!
Building Deadline: 5/21
Voting Deadline: 5/24
Poll Date: 5/17

Last edited:

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Ice Shard / Rockslide

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 112 HP / 144 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Recover

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpA / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

These have been some great cores! Keep up the awesome work 6TI!

Abomasnow
I thought immediately that I could use it scarfed, considering it can spam perfect accuracy STAB Blizzards on 2 types that grass tends to struggle with, Flying and Dragon. Giga Drain is the secondary STAB that can be used to to heal a little bit of HP (especially if used against a mon 4x weak to grass). Energy Ball can also be an option if you prefer more power. Focus Blast is for coverage vs Steel mons that can easily switch into it. Ice Shard is for emergency priority, so its able to hit mons like Scarf Salamence, Scarf Landorus-t, ect. With scarf, its able to hit a speed stat of 360, which is enough to outpace max base 110s.

Cradily
, the 2nd part of the core, makes a great general fire switch in (which Aboma is 4x weak to). I decided to opt for the offensive Curse set, so I have a relatively reliable answer to Bug (if I can manage to get it boosted). The attack EVs ensure a 2KO vs Physically Defensive Mega Venusaur at +6 (this is more of a last resort emergency type senario, but it puts my troubles to rest when I'm against an opposing Mega Venusaur). The rest is kinda self explanatory, Rock Slidges the main STAB, Earthquake is for general ground coverage.
Mega Venusaur
acts as the team's Physical Tank, and it's my check to Mega Scizor, thanks to HP Fire. The EVs give it a bit more of a buff in Special Attack, bringing that up to max base 90 (306), with defense getting to about max base 110 (350). The rest of it is more self explanatory if anything.

Ferrothorn
I decided to make Special Defensive, given 1. its Physical Defense is already satisfactory w/o many EVs, 2. I needed a reliable ice switchin and Kyurem-B check. Gyro Ball is the general STAB, since its so slow it'll do a fair amount of damage. Leech Seed is for passive recovery, along with Leftovers, since it lacks a reliable recovery attack. Thunder Wave is to slow down threats, and make a lot of them way easier to deal with (plus its seldom seen anymore, so it can often come off as a surprise when used).

Virizion
may often seem inferior to Breloom, but lately I've been using it a lot when teambuilding for Grass, its so different and it sucks that not a lot of people know how good it actually is. Granted I do lose out on Spore and Priority, but, I have a nice fast mon (which I was lacking outside of Abomasnow), so it fit my needs well. Close Combat is my fighting STAB, which is what you'll probably be using the most. Leaf Blade is a secondary, and Stone Edge is nice Rock Coverage, which is very nice for checking Mega Charizard Y and Zapdos. Swords Dance is able to boost its mediocre attack to much more threatening levels, so, Steel, Normal, and other bulkier types are in for a nightmare.

Celebi
was the last mon I decided on, and I chose it for a couple reasons. I was lacking a solid Poison Check, and I could pull off hazard stack since it can learn Stealth Rock (and Ferrothorn can keep Thunderwave). The speed EVs is enough to outspeed Jolly Bisharp, but I highly doubt it can live a Sucker Punch from an LO or boosted one. Dazzling Gleam gives me a half decent check to Mega Sableye and Dark mons in general. However, if you really don't care about that, Giga Drain or Energy Ball is optional. Earth Power is again, for much needed Ground coverage.

To be updated...

Last edited:
Alright, let's try this:

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Rock Slide
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Cradily @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rock Slide
- Recover

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- Encore

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Pretty much my main consideration when building this. Mega-Venusaur adds a lot to every Grass team, thanks to its bulk and resistances granted by its typing and its ability, Thick Fat. It forms a great defensive core with Ferrothorn, as well as checking immediate threats like Scizor, Heracross, and Victini. This uses a standard physically defensive spread, with 20 EVs in speed to outspeed Max Speed Adamant Azumarill.

Another must on the team, Ferrothorn compliments Mega-Venusaur nicely with a resistance to Psychic moves and a neutrality to Flying. Its amazing defensive stats and typing allows it to effectively stall several threats with Leech Seed, which is further increased with Protect. It is also the best Spikes setter avaliable for Grass teams, allowing it to stack hazards. I run a specially defensive spread on this so it takes on threats like Latios (lacking HP Fire) and Kyurem-Black easier, as well as other specially based Flying and Ice moves.

Cradily is a really nice addition for this team, and it performs a great role of a special wall, thanks to its decent bulk, typing and access to Recover. It has lots of opportunities to set Stealth Rock, with Toxic helping to wear down defensive teams or other threats it can't touch with Rock Slide. It also acts as a really important check to the likes of Mega-Pidgeot, Mega-Charizard-Y, Chandelure, Hydreigon, etc, which are somewhat difficult threats to handle otherwise.

Whimsicott adds tons of support which are extremely helpful for nearly every playstyle you should run on Grass teams. Prankster + Stun Spore and Encore allows it to effectively cripple setup sweepers and fast offensive threats. It is also checks Dragon, Dark and Fighting types reliably, most notably Mega-Sableye, Mandibuzz, Mega-Medicham/Gallade, and Garchomp with its secondary Fairy type and Moonblast.

Fantastic wallbreaker and access to Spore. Makes Steel, Dark, Normal, and Ice matchups easier. It also has some sort of priority, allowing it to revenge kill a wide-variety of threats.

Abomasnow helps checking Flying type mons with Blizzard and Ice Shard. I use Scarf so I can outspeed said threats and take down problems like Gliscor and Landorus, as well as being able to OHKO Char-Y with Rock slide.

Last edited:

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.

Venusaur-Mega (M) @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 96 Def / 144 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Spore
- Swords Dance

Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rock Slide
- Recover

Serperior (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Spikes

Abomasnow (M) @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Mega Venusaur is definitely the best mega on Grass so I decided to use that. It's a bulky variant with Earthquake and 20 EVs in Attack to OHKO Heatran after rocks. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are it's two STAB moves and Synthesis for recovery.

Next up is Breloom. I decided to use the good 'ol Poison Heal set. It helps a ton vs Dark and beats Mandibuzz 1v1 if it's not carrying Brave Bird. It's also a secondary check to Mega Sableye. The speed EVs are for min speed Rotom and base 55s. The rest of the EVs go to HP for more longevity since it is a Poison Heal set.

Cradily is a specially defensive wall that carries rocks and supports the team with Toxic. I considered Earthquake at first because this does switch into Heatran pretty easily but Tran is often on a balloon and Rock Slide hits both Fire and Flying types so I went with that. No explanation needed for Recover since it's pretty obvious why it's there and what it does.

Serperior is the main special attacker of the team. Leaf Storm is a very powerful STAB attack and thanks to Contrary it boosts Serperior's SpA by 2. Dragon Pulse is for Dragon types that Grass often struggles with and HP Fire is for Steel types that resist the other two moves. You often see Substitute on a Serp that's holding Leftovers, usually combined with Glare or Leech Seed. With Substitute and Life Orb you might say Serperior is gonna get worn out pretty fast. However I didn't feel like I needed a 4th attacking move on Serperior and since it often forces switches and pressures the opponent with Contrary Substitute is a great move for gaining momentum when forcing out a Pokemon, especially if your opponent switches into something that's been weakened wanting to sack it, then you can kill it off with Leaf Storm and up at +2 behind a sub.

Ferrothorn is the physically defensive Pokemon on the team. It has a lot more SpD EVs than Def EVs but that's because Ferrothorn's Defense is really high already and it's a Bold nature. It's good for hazard stacking since it carries Spikes combined with Cradily's Stealth Rock. Gyro Ball is there because it's a Grass team and I don't really need Power Whip, plus I don't like my Ferrothorn being walled by Dragon types. Leech Seed+Protect is there for wearing down the opponent and additional recovery.

The final Pokemon on the team and the second one in this core is Abomasnow. I chose a scarf set because it helps out vs Flying and Dragon since you're pretty free to spam Blizzard in hail. It's actually a mixed set with Rock Slide for Mega Charizard Y and Earthquake for Heatran. Didn't really need Grass STAB on this, I decided to go with Focus Blast instead as it hits Steel types harder than Earthquake since it's SpA is harder and it also hits Normal types, especially bulky ones like Porygon2.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Cradily @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Spikes

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
Unlike everyone else who took the Choice Scarf approach I decided to take the Life Orb wallbreaker approach to break flying teams with ease. Blizzard is main powerful STAB. Giga Drain is secondary STAB and also helps Abomasnow gain HP. Earthquake is way to hit fire and steel types such as Heatran hard. Ice Shard is priority for threats such as Lando-I.
On cradily I went with specially defensive Stealth Rocker. Not much explanation to be said. Rock Slide is a way to hit Charizard-Y and Volcorna. Recover is a way to gain HP. Toxic is a way to stall out walls.
Mega Venusaur is self explanatory like Cradily was. Giga Drain is main STAB and is very good with Sludge Bomb. Synthesis is a reliable way of recovery. Hidden Power Fire is for Scizors that can be hard for this team to handle.
Ferrothorn is there to tank hits and be a nuisance to my opponent. Leech Seed is used so I can recover HP on non grass types. Portect is used to gain more Leech Seed/Leftovers Recovery. Gyro Ball is main STAB and hit fairy and ice types very hard. Spikes are there to make the normal matchup a bit easier to win by wearing down opposing teams.
I then decided to go with Serperior because of its speed and it being very good on Grass Teams. Leaf Storm is main way to boost special attack which can become overwhelming after some boosts. Dragon Pulse is to hit dragon types. Hidden Power Fire is used to take out Scizors and Skarmorys. Glare is the last move which is used to paralyze faster threats.
Breelom is main physical attacker. Spore is used to put foes to sleep. Bullet Seed is main STAB and hits very hard. Mach Punch is used for priority to check certain threats such as Weavile. Rock Tomb is used for Flying and Fire Types which can be threatening to this team.

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA /
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Cradily @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Spore

Mega - Abomasnow: Like others have said haveing access to ice moves will help with threats like Flying and Dragon which are a problem to grass. Blizzard hits all flying and dragon mons hard while hp fire can hurt mons that threaten grass like Sczior.

Cradily Pairs well with Abomasnow Since It can take Strong Fire hits that aboma cant since it's ×4 Weakness. I decided to use Earthquake over toxic beacuse it counters heatran which is a threat to all grass teams anyway.

Leavanny: Here's where this team gets weird, Leavanny is probably not the greatest Choice on any grass team but I think Webs offense Could be fun for this team aswell as having Swords Dance and koff for utility.

Gourgeist: I Noticed that the core has a huge fighting weakness so I added a mon that is immune to it Gourgeist has accsess to willo and leech so it can work well as a Wall to "replace" Ferrothorn.

Whimsicott: As I Said before my team has a huge fighting weakness So i thought whats a mon that could clean or KO most mons on fighting so I added Whimsicott With LO if can atleast 2ko most mons on fighting Baring Cobalion I also chose Psychic over Encore beacuse my team also had nothing For poison

Breloom Covers Ice and steel offensively For the most part with priority and access to Spore and sd makeing it a great sweeper for grass.

Last edited:

Spruce (Abomasnow) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Shiny: Yes
Naive Nature
- Frost Breath
- Energy Ball
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Ball

Chao (Celebi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Earth Power
- Trick

Leafy Greens (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Barbara (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Thigh Highs (Virizion) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Dis Bitch Cray! (Cradily) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Abomasnow: Scarfed, Timid Abomasnow peaks at 360 speed which actually isn't too bad and because of how entirely unexpected it is, it can be easy to take down some serious threats. I decided on Frost Breath to help take down Flying of course, but also to hit Mega Sableye hard without worrying about the calm mind boosts. Energy Ball for stab because it hits harder and I didn't find much reason for Abomasnow to need to regain HP. Scarfed Rock Slide can come in handy against Char Y, Volcarona, and just fire teams in general, and Shadow Ball is there because fuck Psychic. No seriously, fuck psychic. If scarfed victini hits a v-create, then abomasnow can come in and revenge kill with Shadow Ball. Because who would switch out V-Create Victini against an Abomasnow? He can also be used to take out threats like Mega Pinsir, annoying little bitches like Gliscor, and Dragon Types.
Soundproof is just there b/c this is a grass team and we don't want hail damage + no damage from bug buzz or hyper voice.

Celebi: Scarfed Celebi is also great to have. It can now speed match scarftini and scarfrachi, and gauruntee'd outspeed on hoopa-u to knock out with u-turn. plus u-turn pivot is always nice. Earth Power is of course to hit steel types, fire types, poison types, and Heatran (duh), but because Skarm is a thing I ended up deciding on running Trick as well since that can be useful against many set up 'mons, and is incredibly unexpected on Celebi. Psychic stab is great for fighting teams, considering the weakness this team has, and Poison teams too. Finally, Natural Cure can come in hand to sponge status ailments.

M-Venusaur: Can't have a decent grass team with out the beloved Venu. Typical offensive set here. Max HP is plenty bulk as is, and I've always found it more useful to be able to hit back just as hard. I stand by running Giga Drain on Venu. He can put in the most work and spend the most time on the field than any other grass type, so having the grass stab to handle the water, rock, and ground types allows the other 'mons to spread themselves out more and cover other things. Sludge Bomb is also necessary for Fairy considering how haxy they can be. Not having stab super effective hits can be an issue. 20 in speed just to be sure to outspeed that satan bird's bulky variant. HP Fire to round off his moveset and have answers to Scizor, Skarmory, and Opposing Ferrothorns.

Ferrothorn: Once again, gotta have this 'mon. Ferrothorn's Rocky/Barbs puts in too much work. He walls so many flying, ice, bug, poison, steel, and psychic threats. max defence because Cradily and Venu can make up for what ferrothorn lacks and to be sure to make full use of the Rocky/Barb damage. The moveset is pretty standard with spikes for extra hazard damage so the offensive 'mons have an easier time one-shotting, leech seed for longevity, and gyro ball for damage. I decided on Thunder Wave though, because the common fire type switch-ins can easily be screwed over by paralysis so that something else can come in and wall/counter them better.

Virizion: It hurts to not have Breloom, but Virizion is pretty damn good too. It's speed tier is much better and it becomes a lot easier to take out certain threats without having to rely on sash. Sure I'm losing Mach Punch and Spore, but it makes up for that with its speed and can still hit even harder after a swords dance. Decided to run Lum berry to prevent burn and paralysis, but mainly the burns from Mega Sableye. Frost Breath Abomasnow helps, but it may not alway be enough so to have a second answer really helps. Leaf Blade offers a physical grass stab offensive, Close Combat for stab Fighting and necessary for Chansey, and Stone Edge because you can never have enough Rock offensive on a Grass team.

Cradily: Typical Cradily set. We all know how bulky it is and how well it can toxic stall. I find it easier to take on assholes like Mega Pidgeot with toxic than it is w/ just plain rock slide or even with curse. Especially nice that Earthquake isn't needed here since we have Earth Power on Celebi. Setting rocks w/ Cradily is the easiest way to take on Fire, and Storm Drain because we ain't setting up. Cradily doesn't typically want to be stuck in battle against things like Skarmory anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)