Monotype Viability Rankings V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
To prove this, take another C Rank Dark Pokemon, Umbreon. It is completely outclassed in every single way by Mandibuzz, and as Mega Absol is completely outclassed by every other mega, it should stay in C Rank.
Umbreon has a niche as a wish passer/heal beller for dark. Mandibuzz can do neither of those things.

That aside, it's not a good idea to use mega absol anyway. It's been stated before but literally all the megas are better options, even mega ttar. Stay in C

Speaking of mega ttar, Clearly basically sums up the point. Chople berry/Leftovers ttar > mega tyranitar outside of hyper offensive dark teams, where it has a niche. Drops to B

As for volcarona, it does help in the psychic (and maybe water if it's using giga drain) matchup, but that's really all I can think of. It's 4x weak to rock and its defensive typing doesn't offer much to fire. Even though it's neutral to ground, the most common ground move is EQ, and volcarona has a pathetic defense. Drops to B

e: i dont know enough abt the others to have a decent opinion

- easily revenged killed and needs a turn of set up to be able to put some kind of offensive pressure on the other side. It's also outclassed by the other dark mega's. Stays C
- what Clearly said. A -> B
- I definitely agree with this. While Meloetta isn't bad on Psychic, it's really outclassed by a lot of other SpDef Pokemon and doesn't really check anything relevant(say, volcarona or charizard). The specs set is also outclassed by other wallbreakers like Hoopa-U and Mega Gardevoir. I wasn't too sure about this because meloetta isn't terrible, I couldn't compare it to other A rank Pokemon like Latios and Jirachi. A -> B
- It's a really nice set up sweeper and a great wincon vs Psychic. I really don't know much about the type but imo should Stay A

(Dark) C--->B: Disagree, it really has nothing going for it because it is such a frail mon that i dont even think glass cannon should be a name because its hardly even a cannon. And everything kilgrave said.
(Dark) A--->B: Agree, Clearly made all the points you possibly could. To me it only seems like it has a niche of being different than the standard, if you really want to beat types like Dragon, Psychic, and Flying, you might as well run Weavile or ice fang/beam Sharpedo. Fire was never a big issue anyway.
(Ghost) D--->C: Agree, it's ability paired with great defenses stops mega lopunny, it's access to hazards and as well as TR is great.
(Psychic) A--->B: Agree, really offers nothing now that hoopa is back.
(Fire) A--->B: Indifferent, although it has the niche of being one of the very few setup sweepers, along with the bad set of infernape and the rare SD fletch, it's bulky set paired with QD can be very hard to beat. But the types it beats, Grass, Ground, Dark, Psychic, Water, they all also get beat by mega char y with sun boosted fire blast and solarbeam.

Last edited:

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
(Dark|C->B) - Mega Absol is definitely the least viable one of Dark's 4 Mega Evolutions and it's with good reason too. Mega Sharpedo and Mega Tyranitar outclass it in every way. Both are better sweepers than Mega Absol. Mega Houndoom's extra bulk allows it to set up Nasty Plot far easier than Mega Absol setting up a Swords Dance. The only thing that Mega Absol has over the other 4 is Fairy-type coverage. But even then, due to its poor bulk, it can't do much against most Fighting-types as they will all tank a Play Rough and KO it back. Disagree.
(Dark|A->B) - As I stated, Mega Tyranitar is one of the better Dark-type sweepers. It's excellent defensive stats and decent Speed prove that. Most teams will struggle to stop Mega Tyranitar if it gets one Dragon Dance up. It also has a plethora of coverage moves in Ice Beam, Superpower, Earthquake, Ice Punch and good support moves in Thunder Wave and Stealth Rock. Definitely deserves its spot in A rank. Disagree.
(Ghost|D->C) - Cofagrigus is more of a support Pokemon for Ghost-type teams. It provides excellent team support in Trick Room, Toxic Spikes, and Will-O-Wisp. It has decent defensive stats to back it up as well. Cofagrigus can even run an offensive Trick Room set with Hex. Ghost-types in general seem to be shifting to a more defensive approach and Cofagrigus looks to be a very worthy member for every Ghost team. Support this for sure.
(Psychic|A->B) - Due to the addition of Hoopa-U, the usage of Meloetta really started to drop. Meloetta is mostly used as a Ghost-type check in Psychic teams as well as a specially defensive offensive Pokemon. But Hoopa-U just outclasses Meloetta in every way. Hoopa-U is a much more reliable answer to Ghost teams. It too, can take Special hits. Although Meloetta has access to a lot better coverage moves, Hoopa-U can be used to fix holes in a Psychic team, something Meloetta can't do. Support this.
(Fire|A->B) - Volcarona is one of the premier Fire-type set up sweepers. It is an excellent Psychic-type check and Water-type check. It can easily turn a game around for the user. But unfortunately, Volcarona still faces the dreadful 50% damage taken from Stealth Rock. This heavily cripples its ability to sweep. But even then, just being able to check two of the more popular types with relative ease is fantastic for any type. It's ability to dismantle teams really stamps its position as A rank. Disagree.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
(Dark) - Absol, both regular form and mega, is outclassed by the other 3 regular and mega forms, with the exception of normal Houndoom. It's moveset and typing hold it back from having fair, if any potential in non-neutral or advantaged match-ups. Its frailty makes it almost impossible for it to fulfill its main role as a Dark team's set-up sweeper in most match-ups as well. The only things it has going for it is the strongest statistical Sucker Punch and Magic Bounce covering status issues. In reality, those two assets really only make a difference in already favorable match-ups in Psychic, Ghost and even Steel, as well as the occasional mirror. Against Disadvantaged match-ups, Mega Absol is practically unusable other than through chip damage, last-ditch effort Sucker Punchs, or as fodder. Stays C
(Dark) - This is possibly one of the most difficult Pokemon as of now, in my opinion, to really get a feel for in only discussion. Frankly, we could come up with any scenario focused on what kind of match-up it's in, what spread it's using, why another mega option could have been more or less valuable in a given situation, but you really need to just see how it does. The reason this is such difficult discussion topic, however, is because you almost never see it used, whether on ladder, in tournaments, or elsewhere. Because of this, the mass consensus as of late is that regular Ttar's role as a support for Dark team's is so good, that people don't want to change up the set or try its Mega. As Eien said, this is basically people clinging to the Sablenite era and not opting to find more, or even better options for their teams. "Why use Tyranitarite when the standard is the TWave/Rocks Support set?" People don't realize that Mega Ttar can 1) do well as a Mega support Pokemon, 2) be a good DD sweeper and trounce the opponent, or 3) utilize parts of both. It has good physical and special coverage options and can prove to be a nightmare to handle if you aren't able to prevent it from setting up. Not to mention dual-weather setting can come in very handy, especially in a meta dominated by SS teams. With this in mind alone, I would have to say that Mega Ttar should stay as A rank. Now for a little theorizing. Something that I haven't seen before, but I plan to try out and can even be pretty decent, if not viable, would be a Dual-Mega Dark team with Ttar and Sharpedo. It gives various options in multiple match-ups without losing much at all. For one, Ttar could work out as chople berry bait if you're utilizing Mega Sharpedo, and on the flip side, you have a set-up sweeper, or even access to a weather check to the ever-present SS teams, that can catch users way off guard. Stays A
(Ghost) - Reminiscent of little of what I mentioned for Doublade last discussion, but Cofagrigus can definitely play a decent role on Ghost teams. Ability break, status, hazards, Trick-Room, etc. can all help Ghost immensely and prove to be fairly useful. D -> C
(Psychic) - Meloetta is more of a wasted slot for Psychic teams since the implementation and increase in usage of Hoopa-U. That and with Ghost teams far and few, there's no apparent need for its immunity. Hoopa-U is simply a better option as it and Meloetta play decently similar rolls. The difference being, Hoopa-U hits harder, can take special hits pretty well, completely annihilates Ghost, and is such a massive Mixed threat it that you can't pass up on it. Like Zarif said, teams need to be built around using Meloetta; Hoopa-U covers up any holes in your team. A -> B
(Fire) - Volcarona allows Fire to compete with some of the best types in the current meta and QD gives speed option coverage besides forced scarf sets. Even though its x4 weakness to rocks can hold it back, it is an important Pokemon for the type and can really be too good to pass up on. Stays A

E: I agree with Eien on Mega Houndoom. It isn't as important to use as Mega Sharpedo and Mega Tyranitar has better options and damage output. Houndoom's limited moveset as well really holds it back in many match-ups.

Last edited:
I noticed a lot of people disagree with the Volcarona nom, I wanna touch up on that real quick. I'd say it would be A ranked, if it didn't have that hindering SR weakness, because of that often times it can be more of a liability if anything. Not to mention, while it has a good amount of bulk, it can't do very much until it does manage to get a QD boost. I also don't see it fitting into many teams these days. Don't get me wrong it is good, I don't see it as quintessential to have on a fire team. That's why I support the nomination for it being b ranked.

(Dark) Absol is definitely Dark's worst mega, I personally don't see a reason to use it. Houndoom outclasses the special (or mixed) set imo and Sharpedo outclasses the physical set. It should stay in the depths of C rank.

(Dark) Mega Tyranitar runs only 1 set better than regular TTar: DDance. However, DDance is arguably one of the lesser TTar sets in terms of viability as then you need to find a different defensive partner for Mandibuzz and find a different SR user. 2 things that are crucial to Dark. When a mega's only viable set makes it difficult to teambuild, that is not an A-Rank mon. Move to B.

(Ghost) Cofag has a nice niche of being Ghost's only TSpikes user. In addition, it has a couple of decent sets. There's the TRPlot set, giving Ghost a bulky special mon which can do a lot of damage. There's the previously stated TSpikes set, which can also be used as a back-up physical switchin to keep Blade healthy. A mon with a viable niche like Cofag shouldn't be down in D. Move to C.

(Psychic) Meloetta isn't really useful on Psychic teams anymore due to HoopaU being allowed again. Everything Meloetta can do, Hoopa does better. Simple as that. Move to B.

(Fire) Has the niche of being Fire's only real set-up sweeper. It is also a great answer to Psychic teams. Then you look at everything else Volcarona has, and realise, why am I not using Zard Y instead to do these jobs. Dance to B.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
New rules are being added to improve the quality of the VR. Please do not break these rules at the risk of your post being deleted and or infracted.
New Rules
-Talk about the Pokemon in the current ORAS Metagame not in a past metagame.
-Do not make "one liner posts" I agree with this or what that person said. (Please use the like button if you agree)
Discussion #8 Change(s)

(Dark) Stays C
(Dark) A--->B- Quick explanation the opportunity cost for using Mega Tyranitar is very high compared to Mega Sharpedo or even Mega Houndoom. Mega Tyranitar forces you to either run Krookodile or Focus Sash Bisharp as Stealth Rockers, which are sub-optimal
(Ghost) D--->C
(Psychic) A--->B
(Fire) A--->B
Discussion #9
(Psychic) B--->C
(Water) B--->A (Very Controversial only reason why this is being put up for discussion is because of the recent popularity of Swift Swim)
(Normal) C--->B
(Normal) D--->C
(Steel) C--->B
(Dark) A--->B
(Grass) Unranked--->D

(Psychic) - Alakazam is a really underrated revenge killer with a sash on. It can handle threats like bisharp and doublade if they've set up already, and its very easy to preserve it's sash thanks to Magic Guard. Its Life Orb set is heavily outclassed by wallbreakers such as Hoopa-U, but it has a great offensive movepool along with certain support moves like Thunder Wave, and is a really good revenge killer. I really can't see it among other C rank Pokemon like Uxie and Cresselia. Stays B
(Water) - I wasn't sure about this at first. Swift Swim is a really popular archetype but taking a look at the other A mons, they fit into a variety of playstyles. For example, Pokemon like Manaphy, Empoleon and Lanturn fit well on balance teams as well as stall teams, Mega Sharpedo, Manaphy, Starmie and maybe even Empoleon can fit on both balanced and rain teams. I wouldn't bump up a Pokemon that's only viable on a single archetype. Stays B
(Normal) - I definitely support this. While Hyper Offensive Normal isn't a really great archetype, Smeargle is the one Pokemon that keeps it viable. It for sure doesn't belong any where higher, but it fits well in B. C ->B
(Normal) - Staravia has its niche in being able to take up the role of a Defogger, allowing Staraptor to run more offensive sets, like Choice Scarf. However, it is outclassed by Staraptor and Porygon2 in the role of being a Defensive wall. While it does have a niche, it's too small to bump it up. Stays D.

Last edited:

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
(Psychic|B->C) - Unlike most Psychic-types, Alakazam is actually a glass cannon. However, its incredibly high Speed and great Special Attack make up for its lackluster bulk. Alakazam utilizes a Focus Sash/Life Orb set in the meta. It provides decent coverage in Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast but that's about it really. Alakazam doesn't have any other role in Psychic (other than a "memey" Encore set). There really isn't any reason to use this over Pokemon such as Latios, Meloetta, and Gardevoir, who actually bring something to the table; the former being able to run Defog and better coverage, the middle being a great Ghost check, the latter being a great Dark check. Support.
(Water|B->A) - As already stated, the usage of Swift Swim Water is starting to rise again. Politoed being the staple of every Swift Swim Water due to its fantastic ability, Drizzle. Being able to set up Rain and then switch out immediately once hit through Eject Button is crucial for Swift Swim abusers such as Kingdra and Mega Swampert. Even other Water-type teams like having a Drizzle Pokemon to boost their attacks. Support.
(Normal|C->B) - Being one of the two premier Stealth Rock users in Normal, Smeargle is a must on every Hyper Offensive Normal teams. It provides a wide array of entry hazard support for Normal-type teams, while also spreading sleep status. Support.
(Normal|D->C) - Staravia's only niche is a physically defensive Eviolite set. It provides Defog support and has Intimidate to threaten physically offensive Pokemon. But other than this, physically defensive Staraptor and Porygon2 outclass it heavily. Both being better physically defensive Pokemon for Normal. Strongly disagree with this.
(Steel|C->B) - While Cobalion isn't hardly as common as the other Pokemon on the list, it can serve a number of roles for Steel-type teams. It usually runs a special attacking set or a Swords Dance physical set. Unfortunately, it has poor offensive stats even with a Life Orb to really threaten other Pokemon. It doesn't provide anything special either other than Fighting STAB for Steel teams. I'd be fine either way for this.

iLlama

(Psychic) - There are a multitude of characteristics that define Alakazam, especially in this meta. Alakazam's Magic Guard paired with Life Orb or Focus Sash allows it to hit hard or help its team in a pinch, it utilizes its great natural speed and special attack to eliminate cover major threats, and it has decent coverage options in Dazzling Gleam, Encore, Energy Ball, Focus Blast, Taunt, etc. However, the most defining factor when discussing Alakazam is how frail of a Pokemon it is. It is horribly susceptible to Priority, which appears on most teams nowadays. Although Magic Guard/Sash can be a helpful asset in difficult matchups or even for HO teams, it is simply outclassed by options in Gardevoir, Hoopa-U, Lati@s, Meloetta and even Starmie. Beyond limiting overall team options, its lack of a secondary typing, hazard removal, decent bulk or even good revenge killing capabilities makes it into a less than viable option. B -> C
(Water) - The overall popularity of Swift Swim teams as of late, including Politoed's rank as third in Water Usage, is enough in my eyes to move it up. Although there is no access to Damp Rock, Politoed's natural bulk paired with Eject Button into Kingdra, Seismitoad, etc. makes for a deadly weather abusing combo. Plus, Politoed's moveset options in Encore, Toxic, Perish Song, etc. alone are invaluable both for setting weather and for controlling the pace of the match. Just as weather has defined tiers throughout the generations, Rain teams have become a brutal, defining aspect of Monotype once again, with Politoed leading the charge. B -> A
(Normal) - Options for Hazards, Sleep, other Status and anything else that could be needed not only allow for HO Normal to be a viable team composition, but also provides practically any option that a Normal team could need. When utilized effectively, Smeargle can give any Normal team an edge. C -> B
(Normal) - Staravia, as an eviolite user and defensive wall is outclassed by Porygon2. As an intimidate Pokemon, Defensive Pivot, and Defogger it is outclassed by Staraptor. Although it may have a decent niche on some Normal teams, mainly defensive, it is nothing more than a less viable, extremely matchup dependent Pokemon for Normal teams. Stays D
(Steel) - Giving steel access to a set-up Fighting STAB Pokemon is more interesting than useful. Cobalion's natural bulk and relatively diverse moveset can be helpful, but that is where its viability ends. However, with no access to priority other than quick attack and a low beginning attack stat, Lucario can do the same role as Set-Up sweeper better both Physically and Specially. Cobalion is a very situational Pokemon that steel doesn't need to be successful in this meta. Stays C

Last edited:
I'm gonna make this short and sweet since I'm on a bit of a time crunch.

Alakazam I feel should stat at B. It sits at a great speed tier, and thanks to Focus Sash and Magic Guard, it has a pretty cool niche of being a reliable revenge killer. On top of that it has decent coverage and utility options.

Politoed I disagree with rising to A. Outside of setting rain it's generally useless and only works on SS teams. That should stay at B.

Smeargle I also disagree for the same reason as Politoed, it only works on HO Normal teams. Besides that it's generally useless and there's no need to use it.

Staravia kind of a similar situation as Blissey, only less bulky in turn than Staraptor if I remember right, not as fast, and not nearly as strong. D rank.

Cobalion I'm on the fence personally. It does provide extremely handy Fighting STAB, and it sits at a great speed tier, with the ability to check some of Steels deadliest threats, such as Char Y, unboosted Volcarona, Landorus-I, and Garchomp with Stone Edge + HP Ice. Not to mention with Volt Switch it's a nice Offensive Pivot. Know what, I do think it's B ranked, I support the rise there.

Psychic (B)
Fantastic speed tier and a great special attack stat. Combine that with its ability, Focus Sash, and its wide movepool and you can make Alakazam check whatever threat you desperate need to clear out. Worst comes to worst and your opponent has managed to set up on you? No worries because Sash Zam can dish out at least one hit against a faster Pokemon; two if that Pokemon is slower and doesn't have priority. In the case of Volcarona where you may not have the moves to KO it, you can at least paralyze it with Thunder Wave and another Pokemon can finish the job.
Water (B -> A)
Yeah, this is one controversial Pokemon. As brought up by Izaya, all the other A ranked mons can work in multiple playstyles whereas Politoed only works in Swift Swim. This is undeniable, but what sets it apart from all the other A ranked mons is that Politoed is MANDATORY to an ENTIRE archetype. This Pokemon alone is why Swift Swim is successful as an archetype in the first place - until someone shows me a lot of ORAS replays where an SS Water team manually sets up rain with Rain Dance only.
Normal (C)
While I am an avid fan of HO Normal, making full use of webs and banded Reckless Staraptor, HO Normal isn't too viable an archetype to begin with to merit a rise in the ranking. It does however nicely fulfill its niche as a supporter with access to ALL support moves from the C rank. If HO Normal were more viable, I'd be more easily swayed for it to jump to B rank.
Normal (D)
Staravia is simply outclassed by both Porygon2 and Staraptor as already mentioned above. The niche role that Staravia does perform is standing in as a discount bulky Staraptor so that Staraptor is free to use a choiced item, either band or scarf. This however is already taken into account with its current ranking of D.
Steel (B / C)
This is iffy for me. Mixed LO allows Cobalion to deal with many Pokemon that threaten Steel teams. A moveset of Stone Edge, Close Combat/Focus Blast, HP Ice, Volt Switch allows it to check Charizard-Y, Volcarona @ +0 and HP Ground, Hydreigon, Landorus-I, and Garchomp while having good bulk despite offensive investment and functioning as a pivot. It can fit in both balance and offense, which can merit its promotion to B. At the same time, this is too much specialization... Making C the more obvious choice. Like Zarif, I don't mind. I'm undecided in the end myself.

Last edited:
One suggestion i'd like to make

Unranked -> D (Bug) - I've been trying this guy lately with a Swords Dance pass set, and its natural bulk + Eviolite lets it pull a few sets pretty well. The SD pass works well, with some support from Armaldo (because rocks really cripple it), easing sweeps for the likes of Scizor, Mega-Pinsir and Mega-Heracross. It also has some cool special bulk if fully invested, adding some bulk on the side that Bug usually doesn't have outside of Bulkarona, while also giving a good Flying-Stab in Aerial Ace while sitting in a neat speed tier in case you don't want to run Mega-Pinsir. I know this mon has some big flaws and is outclassed by the majority of the mons above it (C and up, because i think it sits well with the D-rank ones tbh), but i'd say D-rank fits it pretty well especially for the few niches it has.

Last edited:
Alakazam : Outspeeds a lot of poke, and Sash Alakazam should be able to KO most pokemon given the high special attack. Can run Dazzling Gleam and Energy Ball to act as Dragon and Water check. However, it is pretty useful to set up as well. T-wave + Sash + Magic Bounce + Taunt prevents SR/spikes, and also slows down fast sweepers with T-wave. Is pretty fragile, but it has is niche, and I don't see it falling further below. (Stays B)

Politoed: All the hype about rain teams is just a fad, I feel. Once people start moving away from swift swim, politoed will be pretty worthless. Since it provides nothing much apart from bulk, I don't see it comparing to A pokemon, such as Swampert, Ice Beam/Mega Pedo, and Volcanion, since each of them provide checks to a weakness. It has a niche to set up rain dance, but a lot of other B rated mons can do that as well. (Stays B)

Smeargle: This is probably the only change I strongly agree with. It is viable for Hyper Offense teams, but it can also be used for coverage. It's extremely diverse movepool allows you to use it to cover any type you are missing. For example, having a smeargle with dark pulse adds coverage for ghost types, while having immunity to ghost moves. Apart from this, smeargle, much like I said for Alakazam, can act as your opening pokemon, given that it learns so many great moves. Sash+Smeargle with Dark Void/sticky web, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes could be the perfect set up. Similarly, Toxic + King's Shield + Cotton Guard + Aromatherapy/Heal Bell/Recover fits perfectly into a stall team. I don't see Smeargle as an A, mainly due to Moody Clause, but it still deserves a B (C--> B)

Staravia: I really wonder why Staravia is being considered. There are much better bulky mons, and you'd be better off with Porygon2 or Staraptor. ArkenCiel did mention that it can stand in for a staraptor allowing the staraptor to be scarfed, but I really don't see the point in that either. Mega Pidgeot is common on any team that doesn't use mega lopunny (believe me, I've seen quite a few). If you choose to use a Staravia and Staraptor as well alongside the Mega Pidgeot, on a normal team, you leave yourself quite open to attack electric/rock/ice teams, and just building counters for these three types it self takes up valuable slots. Personally, I feel Staravia should stay where it is. (Stays D)

Cobalion: I feel Cobalion should stay at C. Moves like Volt Switch and STAB Close Combat provide some checks on a steel team, but there are better pokemon to that. Magnezone is common on steel teams, and having a magnezone which receives STAB on electric is probably a better check for Charizard/other flying types. Similarly, Doublade is pretty common too, and sacred sword is just as useful as CC, mainly because it can repeatedly be used accurately. Heatran and excadrill are a given on steel teams too, and I feel that stone edge/ancient power fits in better there. Since it does nothing for steel mono in this meta, I don't see a reason to take it to B. (Stays C)

One suggestion i'd like to make

Unranked -> D (Bug) -
I've been trying this guy lately with a Swords Dance pass set, and its natural bulk + Eviolite lets it pull a few sets pretty well. The SD pass works well, with some support from Armaldo (because rocks really cripple it), easing sweeps for the likes of Scizor, Mega-Pinsir and Mega-Heracross. It also has some cool special bulk if fully invested, adding some bulk on the side that Bug usually doesn't have outside of Bulkarona, while also giving a good Flying-Stab in Aerial Ace while sitting in a neat speed tier in case you don't want to run Mega-Pinsir. I know this mon has some big flaws and is outclassed by the majority of the mons above it (C and up, because i think it sits well with the D-rank ones tbh), but i'd say D-rank fits it pretty well especially for the few niches it has.
Now, I realize this isn't up for discussion, but I would suggest that
should get a C instead. It should be added to discussions next week to know everyone's opinion, but I feel that Eviolite + SD + Aerial Ace Scyther is pretty useful on a bug. Even more given that it learns U-turn and can switch out when required.

iLlama

should get a C instead. It should be added to discussions next week to know everyone's opinion, but I feel that Eviolite + SD + Aerial Ace Scyther is pretty useful on a bug. Even more given that it learns U-turn and can switch out when required.
Scyther definitely should not have C Rank. It's an incredibly niche mon that doesn't offer much to the type other than another mon that is x4 weak to rocks.

Scyther definitely should not have C Rank. It's an incredibly niche mon that doesn't offer much to the type other than another mon that is x4 weak to rocks.
it's better than Butterfree and definitely Vespiquen (lol). But yeah, definitely not C, it's not as good as Durant or Vivillon for example.
Alakazam : Outspeeds a lot of poke, and Sash Alakazam should be able to KO most pokemon given the high special attack. Can run Dazzling Gleam and Energy Ball to act as Dragon and Water check. However, it is pretty useful to set up as well. T-wave + Sash + Magic Bounce + Taunt prevents SR/spikes, and also slows down fast sweepers with T-wave. Is pretty fragile, but it has is niche, and I don't see it falling further below. (Stays B)

Politoed: All the hype about rain teams is just a fad, I feel. Once people start moving away from swift swim, politoed will be pretty worthless. Since it provides nothing much apart from bulk, I don't see it comparing to A pokemon, such as Swampert, Ice Beam/Mega Pedo, and Volcanion, since each of them provide checks to a weakness. It has a niche to set up rain dance, but a lot of other B rated mons can do that as well. (Stays B)

Smeargle: This is probably the only change I strongly agree with. It is viable for Hyper Offense teams, but it can also be used for coverage. It's extremely diverse movepool allows you to use it to cover any type you are missing. For example, having a smeargle with dark pulse adds coverage for ghost types, while having immunity to ghost moves. Apart from this, smeargle, much like I said for Alakazam, can act as your opening pokemon, given that it learns so many great moves. Sash+Smeargle with Dark Void/sticky web, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes could be the perfect set up. Similarly, Toxic + King's Shield + Cotton Guard + Aromatherapy/Heal Bell/Recover fits perfectly into a stall team. I don't see Smeargle as an A, mainly due to Moody Clause, but it still deserves a B (C--> B)

Staravia: I really wonder why Staravia is being considered. There are much better bulky mons, and you'd be better off with Porygon2 or Staraptor. ArkenCiel did mention that it can stand in for a staraptor allowing the staraptor to be scarfed, but I really don't see the point in that either. Mega Pidgeot is common on any team that doesn't use mega lopunny (believe me, I've seen quite a few). If you choose to use a Staravia and Staraptor as well alongside the Mega Pidgeot, on a normal team, you leave yourself quite open to attack electric/rock/ice teams, and just building counters for these three types it self takes up valuable slots. Personally, I feel Staravia should stay where it is. (Stays D)

Cobalion: I feel Cobalion should stay at C. Moves like Volt Switch and STAB Close Combat provide some checks on a steel team, but there are better pokemon to that. Magnezone is common on steel teams, and having a magnezone which receives STAB on electric is probably a better check for Charizard/other flying types. Similarly, Doublade is pretty common too, and sacred sword is just as useful as CC, mainly because it can repeatedly be used accurately. Heatran and excadrill are a given on steel teams too, and I feel that stone edge/ancient power fits in better there. Since it does nothing for steel mono in this meta, I don't see a reason to take it to B. (Stays C)

I definitely disagree with everything you said in there. Ok, how to begin...
1) First off, Alakazam doesnt have access to Magic Bounce and isnt that much of a type counter like you said. It's more of a sweep stopper and emergency check to the type's top threats. (although i agree with the B rank)
2) No other mon can set up rain like Politoed, period. It makes a playstyle viable and definitely deserves A rank (especially considering it's the more dominant playstyle right now for water). I don't wanna get into the Armaldo thing, but it's similar rankwise, but instead of a type, it makes a dominant playstyle viable (A rank)
3) Smeargle on the other way around does make a playstyle viable, but not really a great one. And smeargle isnt checking weaknesses or stalling anything becaue it has pitful offensive and defensive stats. It only has a very predictable lead set which can be easily played around (C rank)
4) Staravia is sitting exactly where it needs to be in D rank, it has a little niche of freeing Staraptor but despite that it just adds to the Knock off weakness and i overall a worse defensive option than its evolution. Adding Staravia to your team wont make you need to add Rock/Ice/Electric checks, Chansey and Porygon2 already wall a big part of the meta and most of those types threats, with the exception of the Knock Off spreaders, strong Wallbreakers and Fighting Types, like Weavile, Thundurus, Kyurem-B and Terrakion. (D)
5) Cobalion adds a lot more than you said, being able to run an offensive set and a support set pretty well. Being able to revenge kill the likes of Charizard-Y and Landorus is definitely amazing for a Steel team. (Support B, but this is the toughest one to decide)

(Ghost) D -> B
this is an absolute injustice to mega banette (maybe slight exaggeration) but mega banette doesn't deserve to be in the same rank as misdreavus. idk if this is a holdover from msab or if just nobody is paying attention to ghost at this point, but mega banette is a fairly good physical attacker on a type with mostly special attackers, and actually has fairly good utility that the other phys attackers on ghost don't have. it's not really any waste of a team slot and has a fairly usable moveset to pair with its ability, so i really wouldn't say it's nearly as impossibly niche that a d rank would suggest

at least move it from a different rank from misdreavus, i've never seen a misdreavus in my life o k

iLlama

(Ghost) D -> B
this is an absolute injustice to mega banette (maybe slight exaggeration) but mega banette doesn't deserve to be in the same rank as misdreavus. idk if this is a holdover from msab or if just nobody is paying attention to ghost at this point, but mega banette is a fairly good physical attacker on a type with mostly special attackers, and actually has fairly good utility that the other phys attackers on ghost don't have. it's not really any waste of a team slot and has a fairly usable moveset to pair with its ability, so i really wouldn't say it's nearly as impossibly niche that a d rank would suggest

at least move it from a different rank from misdreavus, i've never seen a misdreavus in my life o k
I'd be ok with moving Mega Banette from D -> C, but as of now, the best Ghost build uses no mega. It can work for some teams, but the best way for it to be used is as priority abuse and to widdle down your opponent, which Sableye does much more reliably. Although it has a pretty good attack stat, its single typing, low speed, lack of bulk, and limited damage output can hold Ghost teams back and turn it into a widdle/fodder Pokemon.

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Psychic (B to C) - Alazakam use to work as a check to threats to the Psychic Monotype like Mega Sharpedo and Mega Gyarados with having Magic Guard+ Focus Sash it could easily cripple their ability to sweep through moves like Energy Ball, Dazzling Gleam and Thunder Wave. But recently and much more successful pokemon such as Slowbro holding the Colbur Berry have become a much more used and overall effective Pokemon on the team. C

Water (B to A) - Politoed is a staple to Swift Swim water which has recently risen in usage. This allows Swift Swim teams to abuse Politoed as it sets rain upon switch so sweepers like Kingdra, Ludicolo, Swampert-Mega, and Seimsitoad and easier time to sweep or set hazards verse the opposing team. But politoed can't find any usage on many other viable water archetypes such as Balance and Stall. B

Normal (C to B) - Smeargle finds itself on Hyper Offensive Normal builds as it can set webs and rocks while putting the opponent to sleep with moves such as Dark Void and Spore. This allows HO normal to usually move first and deal as much damage as possibly to break through the opponents team before it can attack. However Smeargle is only really viable on HO Normal builds which are outclassed by the common bulky offensive normal builds. C

Normal (D to C) - This is pokemon really serves one purpose to act like a bulky staraptor so normal teams can abuse offensive staraptor. But this pokemon is still very niche on Normal and not worth using as others have access to defog such as Pidgeot. D

Steel (C to B) - Cobalion can act as a more offensive pokemon on Steel type teams as it has access to much better leads such as Skarmory. This pokemon on Steel can check threats woth a mixed set with access to Volt Switch, HP Ice, Close Combat, Stone or can support steel with Thunder Wave. But pokemon like Magnezone better use HP Ice and Volt Switch on steel and steel has access to other methods of speed control such as Tailwind Skarnory and the abundance of priority attacks it has. Although its access to Stone Edge can be niche verse certain Pokemon like Charizard Y and Volcarona. Also Doublade has access to fighting type coverage and has access to a fighting immunity which is very nice for steel monotypes to have and is overall outclassed in the roles it can play on steel. C

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discussion #9 Change(s)
(Psychic B--->C)
(Water) Will be discussed in week 10
(Normal) Stays C
(Normal) Stays D
(Steel) Stays C
Discussion #10
(Poison) B--->C
(Flying) C--->B
(Fire) A--->B
(Ground) D--->C
(Fighting) C--->D
Bonus
(Water) B--->A
Majority of these changes are cleaning out the really bad D Ranks from last thread so D Rank actually means something
Couple new organzational things will be done to VR so watch out for that soon as well
Special Shoutout to TheThorn for making the majority of this list
(Normal) D--->Unranked
(Normal) D--->Unranked
(Normal) D--->Unranked
(Flying) D--->Unranked
(Ground) D--->Unranked
(Rock) D--->Unranked
(Rock) D--->Unranked
(Rock) D--->Unranked
(Bug) D---->Unranked
(Rock) D---->Unranked
(Ghost) D--->C

Why did alakazam moved to c if most people said it should stay b? .-.
And kecleon isnt really that bad. Protean is a good enough of a niche for it to stay D rank

Last edited:

iLlama

(Poison) - Golbat's only real purpose on Poison is as a bulky Eviolite Utility Pokemon and Defogger. This makes it a very niche Pokemon that limits a type that can't afford to lose team options. However, in the Hazard Control department it is outclassed by Crobat, Skuntank, and Tentacruel. Crobat can do a better overall job utility wise thanks to its high speed tier and doesn't limit your team's options as much. Tentacruel and Skuntank both provide better coverage respectively, Tenta utilizing Scald and Knock Off and Skuntank having Trapping, Priority, and Fire options. B -> C
(Flying) - Although Mega Pidgeot has its strength in STAB No Guard Hurricanes and high speed, its extremely limited and predictable moveset does not give any noticeable benefits to Flying teams. It is not worth giving up a Mega for asMega Gyarados and Mega Charizard both far outclass Mega Pidgeot and simply provide much better team options in Fire and Water/Dark STAB. Regarding its use a Hurricane spammer, Tornadus-T and Togekiss both provide great, if not better Flying STAB options, so the need for a Mega Pidgeot really is not necessary. Stays C
(Fire) - Since the introduction of Volcanion, all relevant Fire builds have moved away from using Darmanitan as its only great use came as a Choice Pokemon, predominantly Scarf. It has a predictable moveset, and does not fill any glaring holes in Fire teams that other Pokemon cannot fill. Don't be mistaken, Darmanitan is still a very dangerous Pokemon if used optimally, however Fire has better options for teambuilding and access to better team compositions. A -> B
Discussion #9 Change(s)
(Ground) D--->C
(Ground) - Quagsire is currently listed as C Rank.
(Fighting) - I would simply link my Scrafty RMT here and leave it at that, but I suppose I can explain my thoughts more in-depth. Just to make this clear, Scrafty is a decent option for Fighting teams, at best. Many of the options that Scrafty would cover for Fighting teams, Heracross already handles, and almost always, more effectively. The x4 weakness to Fairy and low base Speed and Attack stats really do not help, as well. With that said, it is Pokemon that can work, and work well. Giving Fighting access to a relatively bulky, Status Absorbing, Set-Up sweeper, especially in the ORAS metagame, is a bit scary. It can provide great support against types that either Heracross is ineffective against or that would be much more even/close of a match-up, such as Flying, Dragon, and even some Psychic Builds. Paired with Breloom's Spore, it can be a major threat late game and to teambuilds ill-equipped to handle Set-Up sweepers. Stays C
(Water) - There is not anything to touch on that has not already been stated regarding Politoed. It not only makes one of the most dangerous teambuilds viable, but it also lead SS Water to defining the meta for months. Meta-defining SS does not exist without Politoed. B -> A

Extra(s):

(Fighting) - Is outclassed by Scrafty as a Dark/Fighting Pokemon and doesn't provide any necessary support to Fighting teams. It's Dark coverage is handled by Scrafty and Heracross. Toxicroak fills the option of Gunk Shot as well. C -> D
(Electric) - As of now, there is absolutely no reason for Electric teams to run Thundurus-T over Thundurus. As a Special Attacker, either of the Mega options provide better coverage options and support. Also, losing access to Prankster, Mixed Coverage and a 111 Base Speed Stat is too crippling for Electric to afford. C -> D

Discussion #9 Change(s)
(Psychic B--->C)
(Water) Will be discussed in week 10
(Normal) Stays C
(Normal) Stays D
(Steel) Stays C
Discussion #10
(Poison) B--->C
(Flying) C--->B
(Fire) A--->B
(Ground) D--->C
(Fighting) C--->D
Bonus
(Water) B--->A
Majority of these changes are cleaning out the really bad D Ranks from last thread so D Rank actually means something
Couple new organzational things will be done to VR so watch out for that soon as well
Special Shoutout to TheThorn for making the majority of this list
(Normal) D--->Unranked
(Normal) D--->Unranked
(Normal) D--->Unranked
(Flying) D--->Unranked
(Ground) D--->Unranked
(Rock) D--->Unranked
(Rock) D--->Unranked
(Rock) D--->Unranked
(Bug) D---->Unranked
(Rock) D---->Unranked
(Ghost) D--->C
Golbat
, agree. While bulky, Crobat does outclass it in a sense as a Utility mon most because of higher attack and much much better speed tier.

Pidgeot
, disgree. There is very little reason to use it when you have something like Togekiss that can essentially do what it does but much better. It's not B rank viability, not in the slightest. It's hindering movepool doesn't do it any favors either.

Darmanitan
, disagree. While yea, it is slightly slower than Victini, it is stronger than it thanks to its high 145 base Attack and Sheer Force. Under the sun there's very little that can wall it effectively, and while it does experience Flare Blitz recoil, it doesn't get hindered to switch out after the effects of V-Create. That I feel should stay A.

Quagsire
, agreed. It can either act as a Water Absorber, or run Unaware to help against Boosting Sweepers of all kinds. Not to mention, it does have a niche of being a viable Encore user. C rank I think is fitting.

Scrafty
, I'm truthfully not sure. It is nice as a win con against Psychic, being immune to the type, but the fact that is is considerably slow does hurt it, and despite bulky stats, it doesn't have very good defensive typing. It can often be a bit of a momentum drainer, which in a sense counteracts Fighting's Hyper Offensive playstyle. I'm gonna abstain from that one.

Politoed
, again, disagree. Like in the sense that Smeargle only really works for Ho Normal Teams, Politoed only works with Swift Swim teams. While it is the only legal Drizzle setter, other than that it's very underwhelming as a Pokemon. That alone should warrant B rank in my opinion.

Extra(s):

(Fighting) - Is outclassed by Scrafty as a Dark/Fighting Pokemon and doesn't provide any necessary support to Fighting teams. It's Dark coverage is handled by Scrafty and Heracross. Toxicroak fills the option of Gunk Shot as well. C -> D
(Electric) - As of now, there is absolutely no reason for Electric teams to run Thundurus-T over Thundurus. As a Special Attacker, either of the Mega options provide better coverage options and support. Also, losing access to Prankster, Mixed Coverage and a 111 Base Speed Stat is too crippling for Electric to afford. C -> D
I personally don't agree with either of these. Pangoro, while not quite as bulky and doesn't rely on set up options, is a lot more powerful than Scrafty, not to mention a better general ability in Iron Fist to boost its punching attacks. It also, unlike Scrafty, is able to learn EQ for additional coverage, and, like I pointed out a second ago, doesn't even need to rely on boosting attacks to power it up, it starts out immediately strong. That's definitely C rank, absolutely.

Thundurus-T, while yes it is not quite as fast, and it does lose on on Prankster, it is still usable on Electric teams thanks to its base 145 Special Attack stat. It's slightly more pwoerful than Thundurus-I, and allows it to function a lot better as a Choice Specs wallbreaker, or even a set up sweeper with Agility. I can see why its C rank there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)