is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Monotype Winter Premier.png

banner by Zarif
Week 2
Rules
Replays
Monotype OMs Mega Thread
This week's Monothreat type is Ground!

Paniola Phiones (2) vs. Tormented Torkoals (6)

USUM: Paleo vs. Attribute
USUM: dodmen vs. Leru
USUM: -Tsunami- vs. Arifeen
LC: HT vs. qwily
Ubers: Garay oak vs. MiyoKa
AAA: trash vs. Megazard
STABmons: ggggd vs. Quantum Tesseract
Monothreat: Nat vs. Moosical

Canalave City Chorizos (6) vs. Victorious Victinis (2)

USUM: Sabella vs. Vid
USUM: Lotus Wincon vs. Its Hatch
USUM: Christo vs. Croven
LC: BOUFF vs. Nineage
Ubers: Star vs. double switches
AAA: 1 True Lycan vs. Level 56
STABmons: King Billu vs. Twix
Monothreat: EricSaysHi vs. SirSkit

Alcoholic Alakazams (5) vs. Lavender Lycanrocs (3)

USUM: Pearl vs. Clearly
USUM: Chras vs. terrors
USUM: rnbs vs. Zukushiku
LC: obii vs. Jyph
Ubers: Thimo vs. Anttya
AAA: Nightwingg95 vs. Seager
STABmons: KratosMana vs. Tyke
Monothreat: rozes vs. KevinELF

Dethroning Decidueyes (3) vs. Railgun Raikous (5)

USUM: Eien vs. Pak
USUM: Bushtush vs. Jase Duken
USUM: pork chop man vs. Waszap
LC: Kingler12345 vs. iRKD
Ubers: Catalystic vs. iLlama
AAA: Laxpras vs. Yaksok
STABmons: Betathunder vs. Sae
Monothreat: Mael vs. Misaka Mikoto
Deadline to play is 12/17 11:59 PM EST.

Last edited:
I scheduled with opponent, Anttya, for today, Friday 15th of December 2017, however the opponent never replied with a set time (do note that Discord is being used instead of Smogon, because of the maitenance at the time)
1513372198727.png
Today I tried to initiate contact after I was done with all my stuff, the time being 4 PM GMT+1. Currently, it is 10 PM GMT+1 and I don't have too much time left today.
1513372213627.png
As shown in the first screenshot, I stated that the 16th won't work for me, and Anttya stated that the 17th won't work for her. We agreed on the 15th, but without a time, due to the messages being sent with hours inbetween. I did try to contact the team captain on Pokemon Showdown, but he either didn't see, or even though I am not assuming so, ignored my message.
1513372227227.png
This took place around 30 minutes ago. However my time left today is about 30 minutes or so, which isn't a lot. Therefor I am calling activity.

I scheduled with opponent, Anttya, for today, Friday 15th of December 2017, however the opponent never replied with a set time (do note that Discord is being used instead of Smogon, because of the maitenance at the time) Today I tried to initiate contact after I was done with all my stuff, the time being 4 PM GMT+1. Currently, it is 10 PM GMT+1 and I don't have too much time left today.
As shown in the first screenshot, I stated that the 16th won't work for me, and Anttya stated that the 17th won't work for her. We agreed on the 15th, but without a time, due to the messages being sent with hours inbetween. I did try to contact the team captain on Pokemon Showdown, but he either didn't see, or even though I am not assuming so, ignored my message.
This took place around 30 minutes ago. However my time left today is about 30 minutes or so, which isn't a lot. Therefor I am calling activity.
I've been busy all day and you never told me when you were leaving so I went off of "free whenever after." Honestly if we were to place blame, it'd be the both of us for not stating a specific time in the beginning, not just my manager and I.

I'm making this post to show that I fully support thimo in this issue. I think he has done everything by the rules; hence there is nothing he can be blamed for.

I'd like to address a few points Anttya brought up in her post to explain my standpoint.
I've been busy all day and you never told me when you were leaving so I went off of "free whenever after." Honestly if we were to place blame, it'd be the both of us for not stating a specific time in the beginning, not just my manager and I.
In this post Anttya states that she went off of "free whenever after", because thimo didn't specify when he was leaving. Moreover, she states that she has been busy all day. To me this all comes across as a very serious misunderstanding that has due to poor communication by Anttya lead to this entire situation.

As we all can read in their scheduling attempts Anttya first asks what time thimo wants to battle. thimo responds by saying that he has school until 3:15 pm gmt+1, but is free to play whenever after. This gives anttya plenty of room to specify which time after 3:15 pm gmt+1 she prefers to battle. Usually this is when the conversation keeps on going: Anttya specifies a time and they come to an agreement. However, Anttya decides not to return a message to thimo. Instead she makes the assumption that "free whenever after" means that thimo is active all day between 3:15 pmg gmt+1 and 'whenever' to complete their battle. After thimo notices that he isn't getting a reply from Anttya, there is really nothing he can do but to wait as long as possible on the scheduled day and pray Anttya shows up.

To me the assumption Anttya made is fundamentally flawed. You can't expect someone to be online from 3:15 pm gmt+1 to whatever time you decide to show up without informing them on your activity that day. In the first place, this is because people have to sleep: do you really think an opponent would stay awake just to get your match done because u failed to specify a time? If a lycanroc answers this question with a yes, some self-reflection might be neccessary.

This brings me to the second point. In the next quote Anttya states that she has been busy all day. This is used as a reason to possibly explain as to
why the PM wasn't answered. If you have no time at all during the day or the 2 previous days to answer a simple PM, it might be possible that
you aren't the only one with a somewhat busy schedule. This schedule might not allow your opponent to wait for more than 6 hours.

I hope this argument has made clear why has made why I think my player in thimo is not to blame in this situation: anttyas communication however was. There is still one small detail in Anttyas post i would like to adress: the role of their manager Zarif and why he is also to blame. In the following hastebin: https://hastebin.com/punivekuta.sql, one can read a discord conversation between me and Zarif.

In this hastebin, Zarif starts out by calling out and attacking my player thimo as a cheater. This kind of hostality isn't something I would name
sportmanship. Moreover, it also undermines the host's position who allowed him to play: Zarif instigates that thimo gets ghosted in mwp. This claim with proof would create the impression that the host is not capable. Zarif's attempt at spreading rumours could potentially also be very damaging to thimos reputation.

The goal of these insults were to find out when his player in Anttya was scheduled to play her ubers game. The fact that he asked this question and
his comment on the fact that anttya only said sometime on the 15th shows that Zarif isn't making sure that his players are indeed scheduling properly. I was nice enough to point this out to him in the hope he would get the hint and make sure anttya answers thimo. Unfortunately this hasn't made a difference.

In short, in my opinion, Anttyas lack of communication and Zarifs lack of involvement has caused this entire situation. Since 6 hours of my players
valuable time has been wasted and there is no sign that a game can be scheduled for the following 2 days: i have to unfortunately decide to call activity.

Last edited:
I'm making this post to show that I fully support thimo in this issue. I think he has done everything by the rules; hence there is nothing he can be blamed for.

I'd like to address a few points Anttya brought up in her post to explain my standpoint.

In this post Anttya states that she went off of "free whenever after", because thimo didn't specify when he was leaving. Moreover, she states that she has been busy all day. To me this all comes across as a very serious misunderstanding that has due to poor communication by Anttya lead to this entire situation.

As we all can read in their scheduling attempts Anttya first asks what time thimo wants to battle. thimo responds by saying that he has school until 3:15 pm gmt+1, but is free to play whenever after. This gives anttya plenty of room to specify which time after 3:15 pm gmt+1 she prefers to battle. Usually this is when the conversation keeps on going: Anttya specifies a time and they come to an agreement. However, Anttya decides not to return a message to thimo. Instead she makes the assumption that "free whenever after" means that thimo is active all day between 3:15 pmg gmt+1 and 'whenever' to complete their battle. After thimo notices that he isn't getting a reply from Anttya, there is really nothing he can do but to wait as long as possible on the scheduled day and pray Anttya shows up.

To me the assumption Anttya made is fundamentally flawed. You can't expect someone to be online from 3:15 pm gmt+1 to whatever time you decide to show up without informing them on your activity that day. In the first place, this is because people have to sleep: do you really think an opponent would stay awake just to get your match done because u failed to specify a time? If a lycanroc answers this question with a yes, some self-reflection might be neccessary.

This brings me to the second point. In the next quote Anttya states that she has been busy all day. This is used as a reason to possibly explain as to
why the PM wasn't answered. If you have no time at all during the day or the 2 previous days to answer a simple PM, it might be possible that
you aren't the only one with a somewhat busy schedule. This schedule might not allow your opponent to wait for more than 6 hours.

I hope this argument has made clear why has made why I think my player in thimo is not to blame in this situation: anttyas communication however was. There is still one small detail in Anttyas post i would like to adress: the role of their manager Zarif and why he is also to blame. In the following hastebin: https://hastebin.com/punivekuta.sql, one can read a discord conversation between me and Zarif.

In this hastebin, Zarif starts out by calling out and attacking my player thimo as a cheater. This kind of hostality isn't something I would name
sportmanship. Moreover, it also undermines the host's position who allowed him to play: Zarif instigates that thimo gets ghosted in mwp. This claim with proof would create the impression that the host is not capable. Zarif's attempt at spreading rumours could potentially also be very damaging to thimos reputation.

The goal of these insults were to find out when his player in Anttya was scheduled to play her ubers game. The fact that he asked this question and
his comment on the fact that anttya only said sometime on the 15th shows that Zarif isn't making sure that his players are indeed scheduling properly. I was nice enough to point this out to him in the hope he would get the hint and make sure anttya answers thimo. Unfortunately this hasn't made a difference.

In short, in my opinion, Anttyas lack of communication and Zarifs lack of involvement has caused this entire situation. Since 6 hours of my players
valuable time has been wasted and there is no sign that a game can be scheduled for the following 2 days: i have to unfortunately decide to call activity.
zarif.jpg

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
There will be no activity. You will get this match played.

sportmanship. Moreover, it also undermines the host's position who allowed him to play: Zarif instigates that thimo gets ghosted in mwp.
This claim with proof would create the impression that the host is not capable. Zarif's attempt at spreading rumours could potentially also be very damaging to thimos reputation.

I don't think it's entirely poor communication when one of the 2 parties says "or whenever after" especially when they note that "but during my school time it's likely early morning for you anyways so doubt it's gonna matter whether I go or not." So basically, we'll probably have to do after and thimo said "whenever after" those times.

"After thimo notices that he isn't getting a reply from Anttya, there is really nothing he can do but to wait as long as possible on the scheduled day and pray Anttya shows up." No, do you know what he can do? If he doesn't get a response pretty shortly, since Ant should know her schedule, is say "what time whenever after 3:15 GMT+1 works for you?" Communication is a two way street. Thimo could have followed up again.

What does the last part have to do with anything? This is about two people playing a game. Please don't insinuate what somebody else thinks of my reputation, as that's hardly relevant to the situation at hand.

Quite frankly, I see one side (Anttya and Zarif) going off a fairly vague communication and I do not see much followup. Yes, Anttya was not there within that 6 hour period but she was there "whenever after" (around 10:40 PM Thimo's time) and Thimo was not there. On the other side, I see needlessly vague communication and no followup to make sure things are clear.

Thimo and Anttya will either get this match played in the next two days, subs will be made to get it played, or I will call this a dead match, because quite frankly, this has been handled poorly on both sides.

As a side note, have some sportsmanship, I don't think it's too damn hard. Keep your opinions of what you think about others, or what you think others think about others (perhaps a host) to yourself.

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright since Omega's already made his post about the activity decision, I'm not gonna go into that. Just gonna reply to the second part of that huge wall of text, which I refuse to even call a "post".

Okay so yes I did say those things about your player but everyone in the discord can tell those were a joke and just said to make our week interesting (which is something I seriously regret right now). The fact that you actually took those out of context joke logs and tried to make me look bad with it is ridiculous.

I actually want to elaborate on how dumb and completely redundant the first part of your wall of text is, I checked back on your hastebin and I couldn't find anything of me saying your player is getting ghosted in MWP. You see how insane this is now? This man actually tried to use this to not only insult me but also the host of the tournament Omega-Xis. If you have something to say about how this tournament is being hosted, say it with your own mouth. Do not use out of context discord logs as a way to put words in my mouth.

Now about the second part of your huge wall of text, I completely agree that I did not do a good job handling the situation with Anttya scheduling. She should have specified a time and I agree on that. However, this is on your player and you too. I looked back on the discord images your player posted and your player did not try to specify a certain time either. Now is this on me and Anttya as well? Last time I checked I was not managing the Alakazams. Maybe next time when you're calling another manager out for their player not specifying a certain time, you're gonna think about telling your own player to specify a time as well since you're clearly calling me out on my lack of involvement when you didn't tell your player to specify a time either.

Now I want to bring something else up about your player and his shaky scheduling since this isn't the first time this has happened in this tour even.
Back in week 1, your player and his opponent were having difficulty fixing a time and when the manager of your player's opponent asked you to do something about it, you told him he has a lot to learn. Now maybe its time for you and your player to learn something since he is again, in the middle of another scheduling issue.

You called me out on my lack of sportsmanship, which is something I agree on now. If I do decide to be dumb enough to say stuff like this again, I have to make sure whatever I say, I only say to people who I trust not to take stuff out of context and use them to attack me with. However, back to lack of sportsmanship, can you tell me how on YOUR part this is good sportsmanship? Is using out of context joke logs to add some interest in our week and then attack me AND the host with good sportsmanship? Thank you, though, this has taught me to stop trusting people with jokes in our clique now.

You know, before this week even started, a certain player advised me to make sure my players give your players no leeway while scheduling because they knew you'd pull something like this. Congratulations, though, you have succeeded in ruining this tournament for fun by posting out of context joke logs in a wall of text, which was completely unnecessary. Also, since you love to point out other people's flaws in their arguments, I want everyone to properly read what you really said in your wall of text, as it makes no sense at all. Next time if you're gonna use a wall of text to cover up your flawed arguments and out of context logs, please try to make the wall of text big enough to the point where no one cares about reading it.

Since Anttya has cleared her schedule on sunday and thimo is available on sunday, the game can be played now. I'm happy that this is the case, cause that's what we have all joined this tournament for. However, to me it seems that people have drawn wrong conclusions in regards to my earlier post and intentions, so I would like that address that.

There will be no activity. You will get this match played.

I don't think it's entirely poor communication when one of the 2 parties says "or whenever after" especially when they note that "but during my school time it's likely early morning for you anyways so doubt it's gonna matter whether I go or not." So basically, we'll probably have to do after and thimo said "whenever after" those times.

"After thimo notices that he isn't getting a reply from Anttya, there is really nothing he can do but to wait as long as possible on the scheduled day and pray Anttya shows up." No, do you know what he can do? If he doesn't get a response pretty shortly, since Ant should know her schedule, is say "what time whenever after 3:15 GMT+1 works for you?" Communication is a two way street. Thimo could have followed up again.

What does the last part have to do with anything? This is about two people playing a game. Please don't insinuate what somebody else thinks of my reputation, as that's hardly relevant to the situation at hand.

Quite frankly, I see one side (Anttya and Zarif) going off a fairly vague communication and I do not see much followup. Yes, Anttya was not there within that 6 hour period but she was there "whenever after" (around 10:40 PM Thimo's time) and Thimo was not there. On the other side, I see needlessly vague communication and no followup to make sure things are clear.

Thimo and Anttya will either get this match played in the next two days, subs will be made to get it played, or I will call this a dead match, because quite frankly, this has been handled poorly on both sides.

As a side note, have some sportsmanship, I don't think it's too damn hard. Keep your opinions of what you think about others, or what you think others think about others (perhaps a host) to yourself.

I don't think thimo's communication has been poor or vague. The comment 'free whenever after' points at that the fact that he doesn't have to go back to school after 3.15 pm gmt+1. It doesn't mean that he is available to play pokemon from 3.15 pm gmt+1 to whenever. This gives Anttya a window so that she is able to propose a time. Thimo was waiting for this response and he didn't think that another message would help Anttya answer, since this is a very standard scheduling procedure. He isn't used to a situation where this assumption is made. He also has done everything that is recommended by the tournament scheduling helpguide. I thought this was clear, but I should have taken this into account in my first post. Since this issue has been resolved; to me it's not a big deal anymore and not worth further discussing.

I also have the idea that you think I attacked you in any way, which is not true at all. This is why I will try to explain what I meant in my earlier post. Apparently the hastebin doesn't contain the following log anymore: Zarif - Yesterday at 16:34 does acacia ghost him in mwp too. Try to follow my logic here. What if this turned out to be true? I know I would be responsible, but I take the risk. Since I know for a fact that thimo is innocent. However I'm not the only one who is responsible. You made a judgment call and allowed him to play in the tournament, for which I'm very grateful.

If Zarif's comment would turn out to be true it would basically mean that you allow cheaters to play in the tournament. I'm not trying to implicate anyones opinion on this, but I'm sure I wouldn't be too happy as a host if it turned out to be true. Critisism from some angle, not Zarif in particular or me in particular would possibly follow. I made this point to show Zarif that whatever is saying it might cause more damage to other people than you would think at first glance. If you feel like I'm protecting something that I shouldn't, maybe you're right, apologies for that.

Alright since Omega's already made his post about the activity decision, I'm not gonna go into that. Just gonna reply to the second part of that huge wall of text, which I refuse to even call a "post".

Okay so yes I did say those things about your player but everyone in the discord can tell those were a joke and just said to make our week interesting (which is something I seriously regret right now). The fact that you actually took those out of context joke logs and tried to make me look bad with it is ridiculous.

I actually want to elaborate on how dumb and completely redundant the first part of your wall of text is, I checked back on your hastebin and I couldn't find anything of me saying your player is getting ghosted in MWP. You see how insane this is now? This man actually tried to use this to not only insult me but also the host of the tournament Omega-Xis. If you have something to say about how this tournament is being hosted, say it with your own mouth. Do not use out of context discord logs as a way to put words in my mouth.

Now about the second part of your huge wall of text, I completely agree that I did not do a good job handling the situation with Anttya scheduling. She should have specified a time and I agree on that. However, this is on your player and you too. I looked back on the discord images your player posted and your player did not try to specify a certain time either. Now is this on me and Anttya as well? Last time I checked I was not managing the Alakazams. Maybe next time when you're calling another manager out for their player not specifying a certain time, you're gonna think about telling your own player to specify a time as well since you're clearly calling me out on my lack of involvement when you didn't tell your player to specify a time either.

Now I want to bring something else up about your player and his shaky scheduling since this isn't the first time this has happened in this tour even.
Back in week 1, your player and his opponent were having difficulty fixing a time and when the manager of your player's opponent asked you to do something about it, you told him he has a lot to learn. Now maybe its time for you and your player to learn something since he is again, in the middle of another scheduling issue.

You called me out on my lack of sportsmanship, which is something I agree on now. If I do decide to be dumb enough to say stuff like this again, I have to make sure whatever I say, I only say to people who I trust not to take stuff out of context and use them to attack me with. However, back to lack of sportsmanship, can you tell me how on YOUR part this is good sportsmanship? Is using out of context joke logs to add some interest in our week and then attack me AND the host with good sportsmanship? Thank you, though, this has taught me to stop trusting people with jokes in our clique now.

You know, before this week even started, a certain player advised me to make sure my players give your players no leeway while scheduling because they knew you'd pull something like this. Congratulations, though, you have succeeded in ruining this tournament for fun by posting out of context joke logs in a wall of text, which was completely unnecessary. Also, since you love to point out other people's flaws in their arguments, I want everyone to properly read what you really said in your wall of text, as it makes no sense at all. Next time if you're gonna use a wall of text to cover up your flawed arguments and out of context logs, please try to make the wall of text big enough to the point where no one cares about reading it.
First of all it's funny how you refer as my post as a wall of text, while my post literally has only 8 more words than yours does. In my opinion
these logs are not taken out of context whatsoever. Anttya claims that not only her and her manager are to blame for this. This is why I decided
to comment. If your name wouldn't have been posted, I wouldn't have.

Another reason as to why I decided to include this in my post is because thimo has been followed around and harassed by the infamous stag group. My priority is to look out for my player and to do everything I can to make sure another witchhunt like that one also doesn't take place in this community. I want him to feel at home instead of getting driven away by people who think it's funny to make jokes about his reputation. This whole situation has nothing to do with sportmanship.

Regarding your comments on my own managing responsibilities: I have talked this over with thimo on thursday and we decided to wait for
6 hours on friday for Anttya in the hope we get a PM or she shows up. Thimo has done everything he had to get the game scheduled, all that was left to do was wait. Logs are, unfortunately, in Dutch, so no one will be able to read them.

It was never my intention to upset you or Omega-Xis in any way and I think my post really doesn't do this. Apologies if so though. You are right that even though I might have reason to do it, it might have crossed the line as well. If you can follow my logic as to why I believe the logs aren't out of context and relevant, I hope my intentions are more clear: I'm just trying to protect my player who has done everything by the rules and doesn't deserve to be offended like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)