Most Underated Pokemon in 4th Gen

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wouldn't say he's underrated; I think that most people know how good he can be.
You'd be surprised; many players say he's just outright bad. I think it's just a social dogma pertaining to how horribly misused and ineffective he is with bottom-ladder players.

The problem I've always had with Scarftar is that Weavile is just plain faster and stronger. Granted, Weavile doesn't get that awesome physical or special bulk associated with it (though his ability to take a special attack or two is surprisingly decent), but Scarftar has similar problems with Scizor (Pursuit gives him a free U-turn!!!) and is less of a team player considering the Sandstorm summoning makes fast and frail LO attackers like Infernape much less viable for a teamslot.

I recognize some of the discrepancies between Weavile and top OUs regarding defensive capabilities, sweeping ability, and Stealth Rock, but I don't subscribe to the popular mindset that he's along the ranks of Electivire. Electivire competes (not to mention loses) against other mixed sweepers who don't rely on a predicted boost and are much harder to wall, while nothing can really stake claim to Weavile's niche.

Weavile is interesting. I wouldn't say he's underrated; I think that most people know how good he can be. Its just that, in most cases, Tyranitar is a better choice. I've used Weavile a couple of times but I never found Scizor to be a problem because he becomes incredibly easy to predict and threaten with a Heatran, Magnezone, etc etc. Weavile is easily the best Pursuit-trapper in the game as well.
Yeah, the worst thing about Weavile was Scizor which came in and would just spam U-Turn. Stay in and die (and not do a lot to Scizor) or switch out and lose initiative. Weavile was basically a liability if the opponent had a Scizor.

Weavile is a bit underrated in that people don't actually get why you'd use it. Weavile is not meant to be a sweeper, and generally those that think "lol weavile is shit" think it can't sweep anything. Yeah, it can't, but that's not why you use it. You use it to deal with stuff that give your team trouble.

Say you want to set up a late game Infernape sweep. What do you want rid of? Dragonite? Starmie? Gengar? Hm, if only there was one Pokemon that could deal with all them fairly comfortably ...

Why would it need a Dragon type move? With Tinted Lens, it had unresisted dual STABs (and seriously, Tinted Lens Specs Yanmega raped everything not called Blissey or Heatran).

well hp dragon could be used. ive used it to takedown flygon before. and yanmega in gravity is AMAZING mine came in on rocks and had a life orb. turn one protect to get the speed boost. hypnosis turn two (with gravity in effect it wont miss) then spam hp ground or airslash. he 6-0 at team once. but that was all luck

SJCrew

Yeah, the worst thing about Weavile was Scizor which came in and would just spam U-Turn. Stay in and die (and not do a lot to Scizor) or switch out and lose initiative. Weavile was basically a liability if the opponent had a Scizor.
I hope you're saying this as a Weavile player because this looks like the same copy-paste argument I read every time it comes up in a discussion. Scizor only gets in for free if SR isn't up and it's switching in on a move that isn't Low Kick or Pursuit. Pursuit usually entails you losing a Pokemon and Low Kick puts you in 2HKO range where you'd have to predict the U-turn or Bullet Punch. Magnezone is a pretty good Weavile partner too, so I'd think very carefully about that Bullet Punch.

I hope you're saying this as a Weavile player because this looks like the same copy-paste argument I read every time it comes up in a discussion. Scizor only gets in for free if SR isn't up and it's switching in on a move that isn't Low Kick or Pursuit. Pursuit usually entails you losing a Pokemon and Low Kick puts you in 2HKO range where you'd have to predict the U-turn or Bullet Punch.
I've used Weavile before, but I generally agree with others that say it. I used Weavile on a fairly successful team designed for an Infernape sweep, so I generally have SR up in some way. Yeah, Scizor can't switch in again and again (except for the rare Roost sets), but its the same with lots of bulky Pokemon.

Scizor is one of the best Weavile counters along with Forretress. Bulky and can switch in on everything but Low Kick (and even that isn't a 2HKO to your standard CB Scizor)

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rapid Spin says hi. If only Yanmega had a decent Dragon-type move it would wreak havoc.
I lol'd
dude you have seriously got to stop posting dumb stuff.
Specs Tinted Lens Bug Buzz v. Forretress: 95.8% - 112.7%
Specs Tinted Lens Bug Buzz v. Zapdos: 64.2% - 75.5%
Specs Tinted Lens Air Slash v. Heatran: 61% - 71.8%
Specs Tinted Lens Bug Buzz v. Skarmory: 74.9% - 88.3%

hurrrrrr.

Uxie is a quite bulky Pokemon with fantastic supporting moves.
Ludicolo shits on FWG cores.

^
Specs Tinted Lens Bug Buzz v. 252 HP / 252 SpDef+ Forretress: 62.1% - 73.2%
Specs Tinted Lens Bug Buzz v. 252 HP Skarmory: 44.9% - 53%

Some of your calcs are off. 1) No one uses physically defensive Forry. 2) I think you meant Air Slash on that Skarm calc.

I wouldn't really say Ludicolo "shits on FWG cores" since both Heatran and Shaymin can beat Ludicolo with the right set not to mention that Ludicolo gets stopped cold by Bulky DDance Gyara

SJCrew

1) No one uses physically defensive Forry.
Careful, my research says otherwise.

July 2010 said:
| Forretress | Nature | Relaxed | 50.9 |
| Forretress | Nature | Careful | 22.2 |
August 2010 said:
| Forretress | Nature | Relaxed | 46.9 |
| Forretress | Nature | Careful | 19.4 |
Specially defensive is probably better in the current metagame because of Draco Meteor spam, but physically defensive was still the dominant set in Gen 4's heyday.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
explain please, i don't get how ludicolo can beat bulky dd gyara/chestorest kingdra, lo shaymin, and sdef toxic tran by itself, which is a very potent fwg core
oh im sorry, i meant uu
is this an OU topic?....

<Unlike last time you can talk about the uu, nu, and uber metagames.>

ludicolo beats the majority of UU cores. surf ib grass knot.

Lopunny.

Yes, Lopunny! Lopunny is such a fun Pokemon to use, yes it is outclassed by a lot when using Trick, but in its own way it also goes one better than all of them! Klutz.

This Hybrid set shows how effective Loppuny actually is..

Lopunny @ Flame Orb / Choice Scarf
Klutz Timid
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Substitute
~ Encore
~ Baton Pass
~ Switcheroo

Smogon's own Hybrid set, and tbh the most effective set I've seen on any Lopunny I've used! UU gives it the trouble of faster Leads working on it's lower Defences, or just Taunting.. But if you get a Non-Ambipom/Zam lead, you have a chance of making this work, and tbh it works mid-game for breaking what could be effective sweeps.

Cradily is very underrated. It's ability Suction Cups it won't get Roar'd out or Whirlwind allowing it to set up with Curse. Plus, if you place it on a sandstorm team, it's Sp Def is off the charts and with it having access to recover, it'll just Toxic stall your opponent.

Cradily is very underrated. It's ability Suction Cups it won't get Roar'd out or Whirlwind allowing it to set up with Curse. Plus, if you place it on a sandstorm team, it's Sp Def is off the charts and with it having access to recover, it'll just Toxic stall your opponent.
Seconding this. I once got my whole OU-team stalled by a Stockpile Cradily. That thing just didn't die.

Same thing happened to me by a Lapras. Guess I'm just a bad player then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)