Mother Russiart

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
What happened to this? :o

Honestly I forgot about it too lol. I've had this avi for over 3 months (my favourite one yet apparently ;D) so I think it's about time for a change I think. I'd quite like the Sneasel in avi size that I requested a while ago. IDM if you don't get the others done right now though! ^_^

Kill me. I decided I would pick up the tablet again after a long long hiatus from drawing and whatnot. Feel free to readjust the size for proper avi dimensions if you need to.

Acklow

Shameless bump because I just finished working on this:

With bland background:

With a rough background:

I figured I may as well throw together some more Pokemon artwork, since this is a Pokemon website and all...

Also, I'm always open to requests, as if I haven't said that a million times on this page. :o

Last edited:

Acklow

Been a while since I've done any work. I got a set of brushes and a variety of paints/pastels for Christmas so I have been experimenting with water color.

2DAA90C1-0A4D-47E2-A419-FC97C459DD27.jpeg
983907DC-637E-49A0-8A28-81FF2A90F29E.jpeg

I also noticed most of my stuff got deleted off of push, so I'm going to try to relink the stuff I have through my deviant art...

Acklow

Alright, I know I had prior requests, but it's been a long time since then and so I am going to ignore prior requests that I haven't done up until this point. So in the stead of doing the aforementioned requests, I am opening up this thread for requests. I will not be using my tablet this time around, as I want to practice traditional styles of paint/artwork. I will however, if necessary, touch up work via photoshop. My reason for all this is mostly because I'm too lazy to pull out my tablet from storage and it's more fun to use real paints anyways...

Also I will only be doing one piece a week so if you do have requests, please understand that it will be on first come-first serve basis only because I have other priorities (as if people will be making requests lolllll). Last thing to mention is all broken links in the OP have been fixed, but I'm too lazy to go through posts in this thread just to update posts I've made, so if you want to find the relevant piece, it's all in the OP.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to request some shan shui, seems like it might be a good fit for you based on your experience with landscapes.

Acklow

I'd like to request some shan shui, seems like it might be a good fit for you based on your experience with landscapes.
Sounds tough but I'll see what I can do. I love the aesthetic of the style, and have always wanted to try. :)

Acklow

This is kinda where I am at right now. I don't have the proper ink for Shan Shui yet but I saw a starter set that costs $80 on a site for a school out in California that teaches traditional Chinese painting. I'll probably pick it up sometime in the near future. Otherwise I'm making do with watercolor for now. I could try acrylic but I'm not sure how well it would mix heavily with water and I'd rather not try. I've been sick the past few days and I really wanted to work on it over the weekend, but never got to it. 38 degree fevers really suck.

Acklow

Day 2:

Starting to come along a bit. I still have to work on the foreground and background a little more. There's also areas along the middle that need to be properly inked with black. I was a little sloppy at first and you can see it at towards the bottom middle left where the heavy brush begins. I laid too much water in at first and realized while looking at my shan-shui reference that they paint with more criss-crossing patterns the closer the object is meant to be while fading out and being less detailed further out (which is normal for showing distance, but I forgot that lol). In any event, I ended up going overboard so now I am making up for it by including some large trees. This probably will take a couple more days to finish but I hope to have it done before the week is fully over.

For reference, here is the piece that I have been referencing for color palette:

Acklow

HeaLnDeaL

Here it is. The final culmination of my work:

The origin of inspiration for the setting of this painting comes from one of my trips to California:

A couple things of note with regards to the painting vs the photo:

• The rear most mountain in the painting was actually a minor error on my part that turned into another mountain. If I could, I would remove it in order to create more space in the atmosphere of the painting, but I had to make do by covering for my mistake in making another mountain (lol).
  • The bottom most piece of land is actually much further away in the photo than in the painting. This is due to the fact that I screwed up heavily with the plant life early on during the brushing process and so I ended up trying to create a sense of illusion by bringing the land closer using perspective (i.e. adding big evergreens to the foreground).
While these mistakes are probably not really noticable to most people, I figured I would be transparent with my learning process. Bob Ross says "there are no mistakes, only happy little accidents" and so I take that into account here - they helped to create some depth to the painting that I otherwise would not have initially attempted. In addition, I learned a lot about techniques that water color painters tend to use when using darker colors or when creating shadows (such as using papertowels/sponges to lift paint) which has helped me to greatly enhance the appearance of the painting. I hope that you enjoy what I came up with and I hope to do some more.

In any event: I am open to another request!!!

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I really like how you've achieved both cool and warm notes within your different grays, as both blues and pinks seem to be subtly showing through! Many of the trees are gorgeous as well and I especially like that the trees in the far background lose their intense value / become less saturated with your black as they recede into space *_*

Thanks very much for trying this out and I hope you enjoyed making it :) And yes I definitely think you made the right choice using watercolor instead of acrylic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)