Moved to Showdown

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
PSA: you can turn on timestamps for both chatrooms and PMs with the options button in the top right, next to your name

figured this was semi-important info

Raven

Esto es el fin.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Those of you unfamiliar with Showdown may find this guide useful. (The majority of the F.A.Q. section will not apply to the circus channel, but if you scroll past that there is a very comprehensive list of commands with their functions explained)

Should always run /showjoins and /timestamps.

And /bch if people want to play mons with you for some reason.

You can also open a chat, press Shift+Left, then press on the '+' tab to have two concurrent chats in the same window.

Raven

Esto es el fin.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Raven how difficult would it be to get a bot into our chatroom?
That's entirely down to your ability to write/code the bot. We can confirm it so you have access to a wider range of hosts (lots of vps/proxy hosts are automatically locked due to abuse by spammers/evaders but we can allow trusted bots to bypass that)

That aside, I can't really offer much help. You have one example in terms of the mafia bot, and another if you type "/msg usain bot, .git" on showdown.

Once it's coded and hosted, it just connects as if it was a user (name and password go in the config.js file on usain bot iirc).

Good luck!

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
Wait for the big. The majority of my game's playerbase is made up of circus regs who use IRC too much anyways. The average Smogon layperson is going to be the bread and butter of the PS room, and I think the publicity the big brings is going to help out exponentially.

Who exactly do you think is signing up for this big?

The point of establishing a presence on PS was so that people there might get interested in circus. If our advertising point isn't the PS room, what will the big change?

Honestly it's tough to want to go on Showdown when if I'm just doing my thing I'm already on Smogon Forums, the anon forums for my NoC, and mibbit in addition to all the work I'm actually doing.

My team in RWBY communicates just fine without showdown and the showdown tab doesn't update with the same *people said stuff* mibbit does so I have to keep constantly checking it.

I want to advertise the community and attempt to represent it, so what can I do when I'm on showdown to help? If I'm just communicating privately with my teammates that's not exactly riveting activity but if there's a mafiabot on there for quick games I'd be down to try.

Ya the problem is that none of us go on PS regularly. So like Walrein said:

Step 1: Make the PS community join a big.
Step 2: Establish connection between forum games and PS.
Step 3: People who are actually on PS will idle on the PS CM chat.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Perhaps get a mention on the 'News' section of PS? That will at least let people know that you're there.

Edit: I've already spoken with the people who maintain the news section and they have no problem with doing this if it's something you want.

Last edited:
I think having a bot would be cool if only for playing simple mafia games (that don't require a human host as it does in the Mafia room). Maybe having other games like poker, spades, other games that could be put on a bot would be nice too at least for having stuff happen in the channel. Ofc someone would need to code a bot like that...

I agree with billy on this (although I think it's way too early to deem anything a "failure") in that I'm not sure what people are waiting for. If people would rather play games such as the current one on IRC, that's fine. But it doesn't exactly make our subforum more appealing for anyone who doesn't really know what mafia if we just have a channel where there's a link to the game thread but nothing else going on. I'm not exactly sure that a whole ton of people are just going to sign up for this big game. Wouldn't it make sense to ease people into smogmafia, ie through smaller games that show people what we're about etc etc? I think it would be much better if someone hosted a simple 1v2 or even a 1v1 with showdown being the primary channel. At the moment, there's really nothing to advertise about our channel because there's nothing going on there and thus there's no reason for anyone to be idling in the channel at all. At the very least people talking about the current game in PS shows that we're doing something. It might be too late at this point for walrein's game, but if we want to use PS to try and expand the playerbase, we need to host games that focus on PS as the primary method of communication.

Showdown also takes literally zero effort to open up lol. It's really not that hard to idle in both, but I guess that's a personal preference sort of thing..

Yeti

dark saturday
personally I just have no reason to open that PS tab and so when I open my daily Chrome tabs I forget to, and later am too busy/tired/cbf to if I do remember.

opening IRC first then every other program in sync has been part of my computer: on routine since I was jailbait, there's just no need for me to remind myself to join PS when I can talk to anyone and everyone I care to on IRC.

also PS is a battling client and IRC is JUST a chat client, I haven't cared to battle mons since gen 5 genies gave me cancer so it feels superfluous to have both open even though PS can also be a chat client. but again, why both when IRC works just fine and I've been using it since DP came out?

I think if we got the bot in the CM channel and could be all "hey guys! everyone hop on PS to play new-fluo mafia/res or avalon/rtm!" that would give our inertia-driven irc users a reason to open PS

because right now it'd just be an unfamiliar tab in my tab list i would forget to check.

(not knocking PS or its user or anything just saying for me personally it's redundant to IRC for my general mafia/social habits)

I was warned in PS chat for posting a link to the resistance site. I'm not sure they'll be interested in working with off-site games.

Yeah generally we play resistance w/ the bot or just in the room. It's preferred to ask a room staff for permission to post links to stuff unless its relevant to the current discussion (and even then its just a good idea to do so) since we want to reduce link spam as much as possible.

Please do let me or any of the other roomstaff know when you guys are having signups for a game (or when I see it occurring i'll just advertise it in the room) and we can get signups that way.

Yeah, typically each room's staff chooses how the room is moderated while also following the PS rules. Billy probably got warned to break the link he was posting for the reasons I said above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)