Music embarrassments

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Any band that has drastically changed its style in a short amount of time merely to cater to fans
Technically this applies to the Metallica of the mid 90s, but I think they can be forgiven lol.

vonFiedler said:
Need I remind you that Twilight is popular?
QFT. Remember when the Macarena and Who Let The Dogs Out were popular?

How has nobody mentioned nickelback?

A huge embarrassment for me is Oasis, that was the stupidest break up of a band ever.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In my opinion, people who stains the name of music are all those people bashing popular bands just to feel better about their tastes.
Damn. In one post too.

[...]
Taylor Swift
[...]

The reason I think all of the ones I listed are embarrassments is because their music is unoriginal, most can't write their own music, and all their singing sounds atrocious without the heavy influence of a tone editor to clean up the pitch. These individuals have little to no talent, and their music is essentially manufactured by a computer as the stuff released in stores isn't even close to what the original/live sounded like.
Don't listen to really any of those people except Taylor Swift and would like to know how that applies to her. Wouldn't call her singing atrocious and she doesn't digitally alter her voice to a huge extent as far as I know. Also writes her own songs.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't listen to really any of those people except Taylor Swift and would like to know how that applies to her. Wouldn't call her singing atrocious and she doesn't digitally alter her voice to a huge extent as far as I know. Also writes her own songs.
I said most can't write their own music, but I will credit Swift for at least coming up with her own material. Have you heard her sing live? She's not the most awful thing I've ever heard, but she sounds decidedly worse than her recordings. Taylor Swift isn't really as brain-shredding as the others on the list, but the fact that she won so many Grammys for (in my opinion) very cliche and unoriginal Country Pop just irritates me. I probably should remove her from the list though, as she's not really as big of an embarrassment as the others. I still don't think she's got enough talent to deserve the success she enjoys, but oh well I can lay off the haterade for a while.

Nickelback, 30 Seconds To Mars, 50 Cent, Just about any emo/screamo/metalcore band, any 'pop metal' (Disturbed...), Linkin Park, Good Charlotte, Jay Sean... To me, these artists cause near-physical pain with their terrible music, public personas, and/or image.

I'm a firm believer that you can judge an artist based on their public personas. 50 Cent, for example, tweeted something along the lines of 'if you're a man and don't like vagina you should just kill yourself'. Sure, Kanye has done similar stuff, but Kanye has a lot more talent than ol' Fitty C to back it up.

I also really agree with the ideas that mainstream pop music is a deceptively diverse landscape, and you'd be foolish to lump all pop artist together as 'talentless'. Artists such as Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Kelis, Robyn and La Roux are clearly in a different league than the likes of Ke$ha and Katy Perry, despite similarities in genre and popularity. Pop stars like Rihanna, Justin Bieber and Gwen Stefani, though not exactly stellar, still have distinct advantages over the true scum that is Ke$ha (particularly Gwen, thanks to No Doubt). Even if pop is not your cuppa tea, and even if you think Lady Gaga is a hideous meat wearing transvestite, you would be ignorant to call her 'untalented', because she has a truckload of talent.

I think it's just a case of 'the more 12 year old girls like it, the more you want to hate it'. Justin Bieber, like Twilight, though neither exceptionally good nor bad (both are exceedingly average in their respective fields of media) are given a lot of hatred almost simply to balance out the exaggerated fandom that both receive. Both are average, and honestly the majority of the time I'm ever hearing about Bieber or Bella is when some guy is having a cry about how terrible they are. It's average stuff, and it would be better ignored than perpetuated through criticism? The same applies to a lesser extent to most pop music in general. Just my thoughts on it.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Nickelback, 30 Seconds To Mars, 50 Cent, Just about any emo/screamo/metalcore band, any 'pop metal' (Disturbed...), Linkin Park, Good Charlotte, Jay Sean... To me, these artists cause near-physical pain with their terrible music, public personas, and/or image.

I'm a firm believer that you can judge an artist based on their public personas. 50 Cent, for example, tweeted something along the lines of 'if you're a man and don't like vagina you should just kill yourself'. Sure, Kanye has done similar stuff, but Kanye has a lot more talent than ol' Fitty C to back it up.

I also really agree with the ideas that mainstream pop music is a deceptively diverse landscape, and you'd be foolish to lump all pop artist together as 'talentless'. Artists such as Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Kelis, Robyn and La Roux are clearly in a different league than the likes of Ke$ha and Katy Perry, despite similarities in genre and popularity. Pop stars like Rihanna, Justin Bieber and Gwen Stefani, though not exactly stellar, still have distinct advantages over the true scum that is Ke$ha (particularly Gwen, thanks to No Doubt). Even if pop is not your cuppa tea, and even if you think Lady Gaga is a hideous meat wearing transvestite, you would be ignorant to call her 'untalented', because she has a truckload of talent.

I think it's just a case of 'the more 12 year old girls like it, the more you want to hate it'. Justin Bieber, like Twilight, though neither exceptionally good nor bad (both are exceedingly average in their respective fields of media) are given a lot of hatred almost simply to balance out the exaggerated fandom that both receive. Both are average, and honestly the majority of the time I'm ever hearing about Bieber or Bella is when some guy is having a cry about how terrible they are. It's average stuff, and it would be better ignored than perpetuated through criticism? The same applies to a lesser extent to most pop music in general. Just my thoughts on it.
All correct, except La Roux belongs in the "talentless" category, not the other one :)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Twilight is not average, and I waste very little time lamenting the fact that it is popular. It's just the best example of hack writing at the moment, having eclipsed Dan Brown's popularity. It is bad. It's not as insulting as some other things kids are being fed, but it is manipulative and really talentless.

All correct, except La Roux belongs in the "talentless" category, not the other one :)
La Roux is talentless??? Taylor Swift is talentless???? This is news to me, considering critics love the two. La Roux won several awards for the best dance album is 2009, and Taylor Swift made "Speak Now," which is definitely on of the best albums of 2010.
This topic has some pretty poor posts.

As far as MY opinion goes...

Soulja Boy
BrokeNCYDE
Kevin Federline
M.C. Hammer

Are the only truly unlistenable artists.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Wow, I like a ton of this stuff, I guess my music taste should be embarrassing, but it isn't. People can like whatever the hell they want, it doesn't bother me. I try to listen to anything at least once and even if I'm not a fan (Justin Bieber) I can see why others might be. Don't listen to those "Metalheads United" thread guys, listen to whatever you want if it makes you happy. Sounds cheesy but it's right :)

I actually really like Katy Perry. I can perhaps recognize that her music lacks any real substance, but it's just nice listening to me, I guess.

I tend to be okay with mainstream artists that others hate (Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc) but bands I really dislike tend to be well-liked (Rise Against).

La Roux is talentless??? Taylor Swift is talentless???? This is news to me, considering critics love the two. La Roux won several awards for the best dance album is 2009, and Taylor Swift made "Speak Now," which is definitely on of the best albums of 2010.
This topic has some pretty poor posts.

As far as MY opinion goes...

Soulja Boy
BrokeNCYDE
Kevin Federline
M.C. Hammer

Are the only truly unlistenable artists.
critics like a lot of things that suck, for example a lot of critics like that new kanye album

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Technically this applies to the Metallica of the mid 90s, but I think they can be forgiven lol.
I was basically talking about Metallica and Nickelback in specific. Nickelback was actually in the higher percentage of post-grunge once.

And Crystal, go listen to Converge and tell me all metalcore sucks again. Screamo is practically a dead genre, as is emo. They're just being used as labels now.

Wow, I like a ton of this stuff, I guess my music taste should be embarrassing, but it isn't. People can like whatever the hell they want, it doesn't bother me. I try to listen to anything at least once and even if I'm not a fan (Justin Bieber) I can see why others might be. Don't listen to those "Metalheads United" thread guys, listen to whatever you want if it makes you happy. Sounds cheesy but it's right :)
you can listen to whatever you want but it doesn't mean that it's not terrible

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm music I would call an embarrassment:
music that I can blast static and get the same result
those who use auto tune, other than for comedy purposes

Thats about it. On the subject of pop, its not so much the music I don't like, but the culture. Obsessive kids who think [insert pop star here] is the greatest in the world, no one can be better, and probably have romantic fantasies about said pop star deter me. Also, the typical pop fan is stereotyped as being ignorant to other music, and while this doesn't apply to all pop fans, it does apply to a many.

critics like a lot of things that suck, for example a lot of critics like that new kanye album
No offense, but if you legitimately believe the new Kanye album is "bad" then you probably shouldn't be posting in music related threads.

I do agree with your assessment of Soulja Boy, but MC Hammer? U Can't Touch This is a classic to us older folks (even if it is a completely crappy song lol)
I doubt I'd influence your choice over La Roux, but the MC Hammer part kind of proved my point. xD

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
No offense, but if you legitimately believe the new Kanye album is "bad" then you probably shouldn't be posting in music related threads.
yeah because there's no way someone can claim to like music and not appreciate the high art that is kanye west

am i the only one who is jealous of justin bieber?

-dating selena gomez
-rich
-famous
-wont have to do fuck all for the rest of his life
-all this and he isnt even 18

the only thing i can really not stand at all are bands with "harsh lyricists" and nickelback. anything else i acknowledge as legitimate talent. even if they are faking it, "fake it 'til you make it".

I go hard in the muhfuckin paint nigga
Leave you stankin nigga
What the fuck you thinkin nigga
I wont die for this shit or what the fuck i say (Brick Squad)
Front yard broad day wit da SK (ba ba ba ba ba ba bow)
See Gucci, thats my mothafuckin nigga
I hang in the Dale wit dem hit squad killers
Waka Flocka Flame one hood ass nigga
Ridin real slow bendin corners my nigga

That's a real verse. Do you acknowledge that as talent?

But yes, I am jealous of the Beibs love life. I would love me some Selena Gomez.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
calling anything with harsh lyrics screamo is almost as bad as that comment about kanye

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)