My 4th Gen OU team doesn't perform as well as I want it to

So I'm pretty new to the competitive scene, and because of that I am having a hard time deciding on a team. The team I have right now looks solid to me, but doesn't really perform all that well. Here is what I have so far.

Lead: Swampert @ Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed Ability: Torrent
EVs 252HP/128Def/124Sp.Def

Earthquake
Ice Beam
Surf
Stealth Rock

Swampert seems to do what he needs to. He's bulky so he almost always gets the SR up, and because of his great typing he is usually pretty hard to get rid of. I'm still thinking of maybe replacing him with an Azelf though.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 atk/252 spd/ 6 sp.Def

Iron Head
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch

What can I say, I just like the idea of serene grace users, and because of his typing, Jirachi doesn't die as hard from SR as Togekiss does. I'm pretty sure I could be using a better set for Jirachi, like the calm mind or wish support sets. So any advice would be appreciated.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Nature: Adament Ability: Technician
Evs: 252 atk/ 252 hp/ 6 sp.def

Bullet Punch
Brick Break
Quick Attack
Swords Dance

Besides the EV spread, it's a pretty basic swords dance Scizor. I run Quick Attack to hit anything that might resist bullet punch, and everything else is pretty standard.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Nature: Adament Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 atk/ 252 spd/ 6 hp

Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Extreme Speed
Dragon Dance

I've been trying to use this Dragonite to sweep. If he gets the chance to set up, he can usually run through a team pretty well, but otherwise he gets killed by all the ice moves running around. Not sure how I feel about him, probably replaceable.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Nature : Modest Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 sp.atk/ 252spd/ 6 hp

Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin

I use this starmie for potential sweeping and rapid spin support. I was thinking of maybe switching to Timid nature since he does get out sped by somethings. I just feel like I might be using Starmie wrong.

Rotom-W @ choice scarf
Nature: Modest Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 sp.atk/252 spd/ 6 hp

Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Thunder Wave

The newest addition to my team, and probably the first to go if I find something better to replace him with. I like the whole spin blocker thing, but he just seems to die, especially since he only has 214 hp. It just seems like Starmie does what he does better (besides the spin blocker part), and Starmie has access to Rapid Spin.

Well, that's my team at the moment. Tell me what you guys think, and what you would do different/better.

Hey zudocorn welcome to Smogon!

Your team looks pretty damn solid already. I have a few suggestions though. Your Swampert leads looks okay to me. I wouldn't recommend using an Azelf lead over it since with it you have 3 members that are Pursuit weak (Azelf, Starmie and Rotom). I should change your Pert to this set:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 hp, 156 def, 96 spdef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Speed)
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Roar is just for scouting and since Pert has high hp it should be able to take hits as well if they stay in. You had Surf as a third attack. It isn't that bad since it gets STAB and Torrent boost when at 1/3 hp or below, but I think Roar usually is the better option since in the beginning of the battle you can Roar to get some entry hazard damage on your opponent + you can see more pokes of your opponents team which might help you later in the battle. About the EV spread it is not the standard Smogon EV spread; it is the EV spread I found pretty darn useful. It gets 280 def, 240 spdef and max hp, which to me are nice numbers to take hits.

About your Jirachi I don't think it needs a Scarf, so just like you thought maybe changing it to another set. You already have Choice Scarf Rotom to revenge kill (I will come back on that set later), so you don't need a second revenge killer in my opinion, especially if you have 2 other Pokémon with priority attacks (Dragonite and Scizor). I would change it to a Calm Mind set. There are two Calm Mind sets I recommend to you; I will show them under here so you can test them and see which one you like most. First set has Wish to support your team, second has more speed and Sub to block status and as well blocking weak attacks.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 hp, 216 def, 40 speed
Bold Nature (+Def,-Att)
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Since this Jirachi set has both Calm Mind and Wish on the same set, it can act as a sweeper and supporter to your team with Wish. This set doesn't have the speed your Choice Scarf set has, but eventually has more power and bulk if it gets up a few CMs. Since Jirachi is part steel, it can't get Toxiced which makes your sweeping even more easy. You have Tbolt and that has 20% chance to Paralyze (due to Serene Grace) so with a bit of luck you don't mind about the relatively low speed (still 246 lol) since if they're paralyzed you outspeed them. Psychic is your STAB move here which is really powerful after a few CMs. Only problem would be Ttar that is immune to Psychic and due to its Sand Stream ability doesn't take a lot from Tbolt. You luckily have Scizor and Swampert that can deal with it, so if you manage to take down Ttar, this Jirachi is ready to sweep.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 hp, 4 spdef, 252 speed
Timid Nature (+Speed,-Att)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

This set has more speed than the WishCM set and is able to set up on a large range of OU Pokémon. Since it has Max Hp it has 404 hp, so a Seismic Toss doesn't break your sub. Rest is the same as WishCM set (so Ttar problem and 20% para chance).

About the two sets: the first one heals your team since none of your teammembers has a recovery move, so if you have a Wish member on your team, this invreases the longevity of your team. If you're really looking for a sweeper than SubCM is the preferred choice since after a few CMs even super effective hits are not able to break its sub and due to max hp it has strong 101 hp subs lol.

The something about Rotom. I suggest using Trick > Twave on Rotom, since with a Choice Scarf equipped you don't need Twave lol since you already have pretty high speed. Trick cripples walls like Bliss and Cress and I can tell you it works if you're able to Trick at the right time. And change the Nature of Rotom to Timid. Modest gives you extra power, but Timid lets you outspeed Gyara at +1 which is very important. Rotom's job is revenge killing, so speed is more important than 10% extra power.

EDIT: If you do care about the low hp (thought it was like 242 hp with 31 IVs lol), you can change the ev spread to 252 hp, 40 spatt, 216 speed, so your set looks like this:

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 40 Spatt/ 216 Speed
Timid Nature (+Speed,-Att)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Trick

This doesn't have the raw power like the Modest with 252 spatt, but this set makes you survive longer and still has more speed than the Modest set. In combination with Jirachi's Wish this can be an excellent revenge killer with strong STABes, Hydro Pump and relatively high hp if you compare it to standard Scarfed Rotom sets.​

About Starmie change it to Timid Nature and 252 hp, 4 spatt, 252 speed to have more bulk and more speed.

I do have more suggestions (for Scizor and Dragonite) but this is to give you a push into the right direction. Hope I helped you!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Your team is weak to offensive dragon dance Gyarados, for this I second the suggestion made by B-Zard to change your Rotom-W's nature to Timid so you can outspeed Gyarados even after it set-up, and destroy it with Thunderbolt.

Starmie's nature to Timid so you can outspeed Timid Gengar. I also suggest changing Dragonite's nature to Jolly and replace Dragon Claw for Outrage to do maximum damage.

All I can do is nitpick for this team, the only weakness I can see is DD Gyarados which I already mentioned, but it can be taken care of by your Rotom or even Jirachi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)