ORAS OU My attempt to a pivot Shedinja team

Hi guys, so the principle of this team is to use shedinja as a lead and a huge pivot for my sweepers. I built the team so that every sweeper resists at least 3 of the 5 weaknesses of shedinja. That way i can switch for shedinja almost everytime someones tries to set up a counter to my mons.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic
- X-Scissor

I first use Shedinja as a lead. That way, i avoid having to defog on his first appearance. Will-O-Wisp and Toxic are there to make sure that i can cripple a Tank lead. The only reason to make me switch in the first turn is if i know that i can get poisoned/burned/para.( And even then, if i encounter a gliscor, i sacrifice my Shedinja to burn him, so that he can't poison himself. )

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Tyranitar has 4 resistance of out the 5 weaknesses of Shedinja. I am forced to give up sand stream because it kills Shedinja. He's my trapper and can wallbreak aswell. I can keep crunching until i face a counter to tyranitar, which won't use any abilities that can kill shedinja.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp also has 4 resistance of out the 5 weaknesses of Shedinja. I often use it as a late-game set-up sweeper or if i can, setup my swords dance against a passive pokemon ( something like a poison type ). He's also usefull in case of sticky webs.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

I picked up Keldeo when searching for good cores around tyranitar and bisharp. This mon i really strong and is complementary to this team. I try not to switch him directly into an attack because he's not that bulky. He's usually my go to mon when i have to switch blindly ( in case both pokemon dies for example ).

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Manectric is also complementary to Keldeo and Tyranitar. I can use him as a pivot aswell or as a special wallbreaker/sweeper. Hidden power ice is needed because i don't have ice moves if keldeo dies. Flamethrower is usefull in many situation to break the likes of Ferrothorn/Aegislash.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

I picked up skarmory because i needed something to defog that had kind of the same resistances as the rest of my team (especially shedinja). I took whirlwind in case someones tries to set up on me. Brave bird still does a bit of damage in case i need to take a pokemon to 70% for the rest of my team to kill it.

So here it is. So far i did not have a lot of problems. The only real problem i faced was with paralysis because i do not have any cleric and my team relies on speed to do the job.

Hello, welcome to Smogon. Shedninja has always been a fun, unique pokemon to use, but has issues to common threats. Now that M-Sableye has been banned, it makes it very hard to support. You are using it in a very unbalanced archetype, so let me help you adjust it to be the best it can be. Also, here is a sprite generator so you can add images to your RMT: http://www.pokestadium.com/tools/sprites.

First, let's change toxic on shedninja to either shadow sneak to pick off weakened gengars, or protect, to help scout for coverage (hidden power fire from latios, ect.) since toxic isn't really hitting anything notable, besides talonflame and charizard, but its best to just baton pass on the switch. The rest of your team is really offensive, outside of skarmory, which doesn't really support shedninja's style. So, because of this, I'm suggesting you to make keldeo the rest talk variant, which can switch multiple times into shedninja's common threats [tyranitar, heatran, bisharp, weavile] and not get worn down. Mystic Water is the item of choice here, because I find the damage output provided when running leftovers lackluster, and Life Orb wears you down to fast (you can also bluff a choice item). Next, it is time to deal to the shared flying weakness, and unnerve tyranitar is just bad (you really need the SpD buff from sand). Enter, Zapdos: Spread is standard physically defensive. SpA investment drops M. Pinser 100% of the time and it lives a +2 Flare Blitz from Talonflame.

Vs. Pinser:
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Zapdos: 234-276 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
68 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsir-Mega: 272-324 (100.3 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Vs. Talonflame:
+2 252 Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Zapdos: 246-291 (64 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(You OHKO offensive variants)

Ok, so this core is absurdly weak to Mega Diancie, so time to get an answer to that. SpD Jirachi gives you SR support of your own, a decent way of dealing with Fairy Types, and another answer to Latios. Running the standard speed to outrun a Jolly Tyranitar (band) and neutral base 70s (that you shouldn't stay in on anyhow). This also gives you a shaky check to Kyurem-Black alongside Keldeo.

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Jirachi: 127-151 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

248 SpA Diancie-Mega Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Jirachi: 170-200 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Jirachi: 195-231 (48.2 - 57.1%) -- 44.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
16 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 151-178 (37.3 - 44%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-Black: 192-228 (49.1 - 58.3%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO

I feel like this is best rounded off from here with M. Diancie + Tangrowth. Just for hazard deterrent and a solid ground check.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- X-Scissor
- Will-O-Wisp
- Baton Pass
- Protect

Keldeo @ Mystic Water
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Pair of Shoes (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder

Thank you for your answer ! So i tried the team you made and i killed everyone with it. I'm only starting competitive so i didn't know how to play anything besides a full offense team but i'm improving game after game.

In fact this team is so good that i don't even use shedinja. He's only getting killed by toxic, weather and hazards so i'm basically in a 5v6 situation every match.

Can i ask you what are your mental steps when building a team ? The one you made is very well rounded and as much as i like it, my goal is to be able to make my proper teams as strong. ( i think that you should always build a team that suits your personal playstyle to be the best you can be ).

Can i ask you what are your mental steps when building a team ? The one you made is very well rounded and as much as i like it, my goal is to be able to make my proper teams as strong. ( i think that you should always build a team that suits your personal playstyle to be the best you can be ).
Ok, so I'll explain best I can in this post,
Anyhow, I pick a start point, anything I want to use and evaluate what it beats, and what it is weak too. You have to look at both types, and the ability for this, and sometimes its stats.

Then I pick one or two things that support its typing, either offensively or defensively, and make sure the three of them all work together well.

From there, I look at what roles I need to fill (Stealth Rock, Defog, Set-Up, ect.) and finish up the team like that.

Then, lastly I look over things I missed when I was building, to see if I'm able to handle a majority of common things and edit it until I feel like I'm comfortable playing it, and capable of getting consistent wins.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...king-thread-v5-see-page-43-post-1063.3571990/ use this list to see what you have covered.

If you have questions PM me. I'll also help you out with any other ORAS teams as long as I have time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)