ORAS OU My First OU Team - Mega Lopunny and Frins

Introduction
I'm just going to start off by saying that I'm definitely not an experienced singles player. I primarily play doubles, so it's been fun playing on the suspect ladder and I hope to continue playing OU through Gen 7! However, I am not brainless, and I learn fast so I'm picking it up quite quickly. You guys are really helpful and much less cancerous than VGC can be at times. So thank you in advance and try not to be too critical if I say something stupid! Thanks.
Teambuilding Process
Long story short... I was playing with my other team and I got mopped by Mega-Lop. I admire it's ability to deal 25% to most Pokemon with Fake Out, and it hits everything in the game for at least neutral damage with one of it's STABs.

I like Ferrothorn a lot. It's reliable and tanky, gives me switch-ins to Fairies, and it can stall out in the end game. It's done it's job.

I actually got this idea from the cores thread on this website, and I tried Lop and Hydreigon out and they work quite nicely together. It's a very strong Pokemon and I'm very fond of it.

At this point I realized I needed Intimidate, a switch-in to Excadrill, and some volt-turn action. Landorus came to mind instantly. Bulky Landorus has done itself justice so far!

I needed a Defogger and Zapdos stuck out. Also adds onto the VoltTurn aspect of the team. It's strong and checks Ferro which I like.

Jirachi is a hunk. I used to play with it in UU and it was fun to flinch stuff. Also attributes to the VoltTurn spectrum.

The Team

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

This is the center piece of the team. I cannot stress how useful she is. I love Lopunny and it's done it's job every game. It works as a lead and as a revenge killer. Wouldn't want to use any other Mega.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn is the one thing that I'm considering switching. Although it does run the end-game perfectly and threatens damage on a lot of strong Pokemon, I am lacking a Keldeo counter and Jirachi is more important than Keldeo, and I need a Steel Type, so if you could replace Ferro please give me suggestions.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Roost

Hydreigon is a beast. It covers some of Lop's weaknesses and nukes lots of slower Pokemon. Great for revenge killing and forcing stuff out. I like Hydreigon. I had Weavile here before, but I found Hydreigon to be more aggressive and I'm a very aggressive player.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Landorus is my favorite setter, a very strong lead, switch-in, and U-turn Pokemon. I like the way it plays and I think it fits into this team nicely. Makes up for Hydreigon, Ferrothorn, and Lopunny's Fighting weakness. Does it's job just as needed.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

It's mainly there for Defog. Does it's job, checks Ferro and other Steels, has strong Volt Switch, HP Ice, and good speed.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Jirachi is a total babe. I like being able to switch in and cover almost any switch possible. Also has good switch initiative in U-turn.
Conclusion
I love the way this team plays but something feels a little awkward with the way it's playing, so feedback would be great. Thanks! <3
Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Roost
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Hope to see you around! I'll be in the OU room with username same as my Smogon username, so feel free to PM me!

Hi. Nice team you have got.

Looking at your team, here are some threats I found:
  • Keldeo
    is a big one, being able to 2HKO/OHKO every member on your team with the correct move
  • Darks
    are pretty annoying and can pressure your team really hard
  • Heatran
    is a difficult one as Lava Plume's 30% burn chance makes it difficult to switch into

Hence, here are some suggestions to deal with these threats:

>

Although Ferro's resistances are cool for many teams, I dislike how it gives up momentum on your team. You have a VoltTurn core that allows you to constantly have the upper hand over your opponent, then this, which just ends the chain. Going to Ferrothorn allows your opponent to switch into threats such as Heatran and MMedicham. Instead, I suggest that you run Latios. Latios offers many key resistances, notably a Water resistance. With reliable recovery in Recover, it can switch into Keldeo rather reliably and Recover off any damage taken so it can live to come in another time. I chose to run Surf instead of Defog on this as your team isn't weak to entry hazards and I intend to remove Zapdos anyway. Surf allows you to hit Heatran, which, as mentioned, is a big annoyance to your team.

Specs > LO
Specs Hydra is a monster. Although LO Hydreigon allows you to change moves, it comes with the cost of recoil, making you easier to revenge kill. "Roost", you might mention, but that takes up a precious turn you can use to nuke your opponent and a precious coverage option. On the other hand, Specs doesn't give you that recoil and gives you even greater power, with the cost of being locked into one move, which I don't think is a problem for you since you are an "aggressive player". Predicting correctly with Specs gives you insane rewards which you would appreciate a lot, especially on this team since MLop would have an easier time cleaning. I seriously urge you to try this set, it's really fun. Flamethrower was chosen to replace Roost so that you can hit Scizor and some other Steels which can tank hits from this set.

>

At this point in time, your team was still rather weak to some Water and Dark types such as Azumarill and Bisharp. Rotom-W does this perfectly while having few to no downsides. With Volt Switch, it retains the already existing VoltTurn core between Lando-T and Jirachi. In addition, it has really good defensive synergy with both teammates and can continue to check BirdSpam. Most importantly, its secondary Water typing allows it to check Water types such as Azumarill and Rain mons and Wisp is really handy for physical attackers. I chose to run 128 Speed EVs on this so as to outspeed max Speed Adamant Bisharp and burn it before it can run through your team.

EV Spread: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe, Impish Nature; Item: Rocky Helmet
Quoting the Smogon Analysis, "Maximum HP investment and near-maximum Defense investment with a Impish nature is used to buff Landorus-T's defensive potential as much as possible to take on physical threats optimally. The 8 EVs in Special Defense allow Landorus-T to always survive Mega Manectric's Hidden Power Ice at full HP. The rest is dumped into Speed to outpace base 50 Speed Pokemon with a positive nature such as Azumarill". Rocky Helmet is the preferred item as it gets chip damage on physical attackers such as MLop and MMedicham, discouraging them from attacking you.

Fire Punch > Ice Punch; Healing Wish > Zen Headbutt
As you're pretty weak to Ferrothorn, Fire Punch would be preferred over Ice Punch, since you won't really be hitting Lando-Ts with Ice Punch (doubling to Latios/Hydra would be better). Zen Headbutt doesn't give you phenomenal coverage, hence Healing Wish would be preferred to heal a weakened teammate.

Here are the sets:
Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Surf

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

I realised that your EV Spreads aren't really standard, hence they aren't too effective. I suggest you visit smogdex for better sets.

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n

Last edited:
As you're pretty weak to Ferrothorn, Fire Punch would be preferred over Ice Punch, since you won't really be hitting Lando-Ts with Ice Punch (doubling to Latios/Hydra would be better). Zen Headbutt doesn't give you phenomenal coverage, hence Healing Wish would be preferred to heal a weakened teammate.
I realised that your EV Spreads aren't really standard, hence they aren't too effective. I suggest you visit smogdex for better sets.

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n
Yeah I would say Tinberz was spot on with recommended edits, although I would say you could use Ice Punch still if you want. Otherwise Tankchomp could be seriously annoying to your team, and to some degree Gliscor and Lando-T.

Looking at your team, here are some threats I found:
  • Keldeo
    is a big one, being able to 2HKO/OHKO every member on your team with the correct move
  • Darks
    are pretty annoying and can pressure your team really hard
  • Heatran
    is a difficult one as Lava Plume's 30% burn chance makes it difficult to switch into

Hence, here are some suggestions to deal with these threats:

>

Although Ferro's resistances are cool for many teams, I dislike how it gives up momentum on your team. You have a VoltTurn core that allows you to constantly have the upper hand over your opponent, then this, which just ends the chain. Going to Ferrothorn allows your opponent to switch into threats such as Heatran and MMedicham. Instead, I suggest that you run Latios. Latios offers many key resistances, notably a Water resistance. With reliable recovery in Recover, it can switch into Keldeo rather reliably and Recover off any damage taken so it can live to come in another time. I chose to run Surf instead of Defog on this as your team isn't weak to entry hazards and I intend to remove Zapdos anyway. Surf allows you to hit Heatran, which, as mentioned, is a big annoyance to your team.

Specs > LO
Specs Hydra is a monster. Although LO Hydreigon allows you to change moves, it comes with the cost of recoil, making you easier to revenge kill. "Roost", you might mention, but that takes up a precious turn you can use to nuke your opponent and a precious coverage option. On the other hand, Specs doesn't give you that recoil and gives you even greater power, with the cost of being locked into one move, which I don't think is a problem for you since you are an "aggressive player". Predicting correctly with Specs gives you insane rewards which you would appreciate a lot, especially on this team since MLop would have an easier time cleaning. I seriously urge you to try this set, it's really fun. Flamethrower was chosen to replace Roost so that you can hit Scizor and some other Steels which can tank hits from this set.

>

At this point in time, your team was still rather weak to some Water and Dark types such as Azumarill and Bisharp. Rotom-W does this perfectly while having few to no downsides. With Volt Switch, it retains the already existing VoltTurn core between Lando-T and Jirachi. In addition, it has really good defensive synergy with both teammates and can continue to check BirdSpam. Most importantly, its secondary Water typing allows it to check Water types such as Azumarill and Rain mons and Wisp is really handy for physical attackers. I chose to run 128 Speed EVs on this so as to outspeed max Speed Adamant Bisharp and burn it before it can run through your team.

EV Spread: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe, Impish Nature; Item: Rocky Helmet
Quoting the Smogon Analysis, "Maximum HP investment and near-maximum Defense investment with a Impish nature is used to buff Landorus-T's defensive potential as much as possible to take on physical threats optimally. The 8 EVs in Special Defense allow Landorus-T to always survive Mega Manectric's Hidden Power Ice at full HP. The rest is dumped into Speed to outpace base 50 Speed Pokemon with a positive nature such as Azumarill". Rocky Helmet is the preferred item as it gets chip damage on physical attackers such as MLop and MMedicham, discouraging them from attacking you.

Here are the sets:
Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Surf

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

Yeah I would say Tinberz was spot on with recommended edits, although I would say you could use Ice Punch still if you want. Otherwise Tankchomp could be seriously annoying to your team, and to some degree Gliscor and Lando-T.
Thanks to the both of you, seriously! I'm going to test all of this asap!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)