My Heart Gold Team

Hi guys, I'm making a team that I can play through the game with, but also a team that fairs decently well against most team combinations you can get by just playing the game: eg. no trading, breeding, EV managing, etc. I will usually be using this team against my friends, who will also be playing HG/SS so I'm expecting some normal teams with a lot of Pokemon having diverse offensive moves, and probably just that: offensive moves. Nonetheless, I would still want a team that would cover a wide variety of elements and pokemon from HG/SS, while making the run through easy. I WILL NOT BE KEEPING MY STARTER.

I chose pokemon that can be easily accessible through the game and are not your conventional choices for a team. Also, I included some aesthetic bias when picking them :) Here's what I got so far:

Forretress @Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Relaxed 252HP/112Atk/144Def

-Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Gyroball
-Explosion

I thought this would be a good lead to set up hazards. I also considered Butterfree since I saw how it was a surprisingly good lead in another post and will fit well with this team's theme of unconventional Pokemon. I might do that.. For this first run at it though, I will prefer the hazards to the statuses. Forretress serves as my defensive wall. It has EV spreads that will help with that. I will mostly be using him to wall ground attacks directed at Arcanine/Electivire and some Ice one's for Dragonite. I could set up Stealth Rock and Spikes to help my Electivire and Arcanine, which are my primary offense pokemon, with the damage and eventually with Dragonite/Snorlax sweeping. I opted out of Rapid Spin since I don't think my friends will be thinking about laying down hazards anyways. He will serve as my physical wall against most physical moves directed at Snorlax/Arcanine. Forretress can also bait out fire moves, which will benefit Arcanine with Flash Fire.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold 248HP/224Def/36SpD

-Wish
-Protect
-Surf
-Toxic

Vaporeon will be my bulky support and a secondary physical wall to take some stress off of Forretress. I think with it being a water type, it'll synergize well with Electivire and Arcanine. If you guys can suggest another alternative though that would be awesome, so long as it's easily accessible in-game and not a legendary. I considered Starmie for this, but might be a little too fragile of a team. Anyways, its main role is to heal my offensive pokemon. Vaporeon can absorb water attacks directed at Arcanine and also ice moves from Dragonite. Toxic is a good move to help slowly whither their pokemon while I wish stall the opponent.

Electivire @ Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
Adamant 4HP/252Atk/252Spe

-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake

I like Electivire. He's badass. This will be the only Pokemon where I will actually go out of my way to getting. He will be the exception. I wanted a physical attacker that can cover most elements, and I think with this moveset, Electivire can cover 13 out of the 17 elements. I plan on using him to switch into vaporeon's counter, hopefully an electric attack, which will activate its Motor Drive ability and help him deal some mid-game damage to the opponent's team. Electivire can also benefit from wish support since it's running Life Orb, which Vaporeon provides. I wanted a simple Electric Pokemon here since it is only weak to one element, and therefore easier to cover.

Arcanine @Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Adamant 252Atk/4Def/252Spe

-Flare Blitz
-Hidden Power Grass
-ExtremeSpeed
-Morning Sun

This will be my other offensive pokemon and the third member of my switching trio. He will help deal mid-game damage, together with Electivire. Since both Pokemon were weak against ground-type Earthquake, having a bulky water and a flying Pokemon was a necessity, in my opinion. I chose Hidden Power Grass over Thunder Fang because I will already have a counter for most water types with Vaporeon and Water Absorb. Arcanine's primary role is to provide damage and so it's moveset is to cover a wide range of elements and with Life Orb, Arcanine will require support as well, which Vaporeon can provide, and with Morning Sun, it'll lessen the pressure of wish supporting from Vaporeon and have it focus more on healing Electivire and maybe Dragonite to some extent.

Snorlax @Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Careful 188HP/104Def/216SpD

-Curse
-Body Slam
-Rest
-Crunch

A typical Curselax and my special wall. For this team, I will mostly rely on Vaporeon, Electivire, and Arcanine as much as I can. With Snorlax's bulk, it can easily switch in on any of Electivire, Vaporeon, or Arcanine's special weeknesses. Notably, I can probably switch this beast in once the put in their starter. Also, if I am sure that there is no longer a counter left for Snorlax in the opposing team, that would be a perfect opening for me to set up and go for the kill. Snorlax has only one weekness, which can easily be covered by Dragonite, Vaporeon and Forretress to some extent.

Dragonite @Life Orb
Mild 56Atk/252SpA/200Spe

-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower
-Superpower
-Roost

Ahh Dragonite, my last resort Pokemon. This Dragonite build will be specifically used to finish off any Pokemon left on the opposing team. I will typically use this late-game. Hopefully I would not have to use this in a regular battle. As I mentioned earlier, this team isn't competitive, just strong and balanced enough to defeat normal teams one might be able to form in-game. Nonetheless, Draco Meteor will be it's STAB to finish off most. Flamethrower is used to cover any slow Ice-type Pokemon they might have. And Superpower once SpA has been lowered too much due to DracoMeteor. I am not sure if I should include Roost, but I figured it would be useful to make Dragonite a little more tanky so it can participate earlier in fights.

So this is my team so far. I don't plan on using the team competitively, obviously. Mostly against friends, and maybe sometimes online. Any advice on improving this team will be greatly appreciated. As long as the Pokemon isn't a legendary, and is from Gen I or II (Electivire is an exception, I love Electivire :D).

Can't wait to hear your feedback!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)