My OU Team

This is my first post on Smogon, looking for advice on my team.

Lead: Azelf @ Focus sash
Naive
EV's / 252 Speed / 252 SpAtk / 4 HP /

Explosion
Psychic
Stealth Rock
Taunt

Azelf is messy, ungraceful, but he always gets his job done. Taunt is to shut down slower support leads, and SR is to get up some rocks of my own. Psychic can deal some solid damage, and Explosion is for when his job is done.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Bold
Ev's / 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Speed /
Grass Knot
Hidden Power (Fire)
Recover
Thunder Wave

Ah, my physicial wall. He can spread status fairly well, but I've found that he has quite a lot of trouble taking things down as such, there is a wide range of things that just walk all over him, I havent tried any other variations, any suggestions for superior Pokes, or different movesets?

Infernape @ Life Orb
Modest
EV's / 252 Speed / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef /

Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Nasty Plot
Vacuum Wave

My special sweeper. After a nasty plot boost, he can tear through anything not named blissey. He does die fairly quick though.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Impish
EV's / 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpDef /

Rest
Roar
Sleep Talk
Waterfall

Gyarados, you beast. This guy can take huge physical damage after intimidate. SR Weakness is cruel though, I may need a spinner. The core of the team IMO, and probably my most used.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly
EV's / 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Speed /

Ice Punch
Ice Shard
Low Kick
Pursuit

Fast. Reliable. Physical. Weavile is the revenge killer from hell. He neuters switching ghosts with pursuit, and slams through dragons or ground pokemon with ice punch. He's also my answer to blissey. Also frail though

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant
Inner Focus
Ev's / 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 SpDef

Bullet Punch
Close Combat
ExtremeSpeed
Swords Dance

After one Swords Dance, this guy absolutely destroys teams. I use bullet punch solely for killing gengar; would Crunch be better? anyways, once again, frail, but since I have Gyara and Celebi I dont see it being a huge problem.

Well, theres my team, I'm looking for suggestions on how/what to improve, all help is appreciated :)

Shame That

TAKE IT ALL OR LEAVE IT
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi Watswrong, welcome to the forums! I'm just going to nitpick at this team for now.

First of all, Gyarados needs rapid spin support. Thats pretty much off the bat, especially for Bulky Gyara variations (cant be losing 25% every switch in, can we?). Because of this, I reccomend the pokemon sandshreWZ introduced me to; Donphan, over Lucario.

Donphan @Leftovers
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Assurance
-Ice Shard

Since Gyara is pretty much a physical tank, I would reccomend changing Celebi to Blissey. Like Gyarados and Donphan, Blissey also has good synergy with Gyara. It can soak up the numerous special attacks directed at Gyara, and in return, Gyara can take the fighting hits aimed at it. Even better, Blissey can use Aromatherapy to instantly wake up Gyara.

Blissey @Leftovers
Bold
252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spe
-Aromatherapy
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss
-Thunder Wave

Next, since this team is centered around being fairly bulky, I would reccomend changing Azelf to Uxie. Uxie can accomplish the same thing whilst still staying alive, plus has a sleep / psuedo phazing move in yawn. He can scout with Uturn, and can take a hit from something that your unsure about (I.E Dont know whether you're fighting a Physical Infernape or a Special Infernape? Switch to Uxie and find out!).

Uxie @Leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def
-Stealth Rock
-Psychic
-Uturn
-Yawn

(Whew, this is one big nitpick.. feel free to ignore the advice if you see fit.)

Now, I have another change I would reccomend (lolwut?). Since it has great syngergy with Gyara and is an excellent revenge killer, I would reccomend changing Infernape to Heatran. Heatran has great bulk and with a scarf, can outspeed pretty much everything you'll come across.

Heatran @Choice Scarf
Naive
252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Sp. Def
-Fire Blast
-Explosion
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power [Grass]

And now, for the final nitpick. As you would have noticed, you now lack a mixed sweeper. To finish off, I would reccomend changing Weavile to Electivire. Electivire, whilst may be considered noobish, has awesome synergy with Gyarados. Switch it in on a Thunderbolt and get +1 speed, then start wrecking things. In return, Gyara is immune to ground attacks aimed at Vire. To top it all off, Vire gives you a great mixed sweeper!

Electivire @Life Orb
Adamant
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Meditate
-Thunder punch
-Ice Punch
-Earthquake

Thats about it. Nice team to start off with man, and good luck with whatever you do!

Hey Watswrong I have a few suggestions. First of all I would change your Azelf lead to this set:

Azelf @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP/ 248 Spatt/ 252 Speed
Naive Nature (+Speed,-Spdef)
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Fire Blast
- Explosion/U-turn

This also handles lead Machamps and lead Metagross better since with an Expert belt Psychic kills Machamp and Fire Blast kills Metagross. 8 Hp is to survive a MM from Metagross. It is not necessary to have taunt since most Azelf's don't have it nowadays and if you have a spinner on your team to help your Gyara you can spin the entry hazards away anyways. U-turn prevents you being trapped by Pursuiters like Ttar and Scizor whereas Explosion helps when Azelf's job is done.

Use the Donphan Shame That suggested over Lucario since it supports your Gyara with resisting Electric + Rock type attacks and Rapid Spinning entry hazards away. If you use Donphan you already have a physical wall, meaning you can replace your Celebi by Shaymin which has good synergy with Gyara and Donphan and fulfills almost the same role as Celebi. It can support your team with Leech Seed, something Donphan will benefit from since it doesn't have a recovery move. This is the set I use (it is an offensive set but also capable of taking hits due to its natural bulk):

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 hp/ 252 spatt/ 252 speed
Timid Nature (+Speed,-Att)
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- HP Fire
- Leech Seed

This is more of an offensive version to kill things like Heatran before they outspeed you. Seed Flare is Shaymin's best attack and is STABed. Earth Power for coverage and to hit Fire types who love to come in on Shaymin, Hp Fire is for Scizor and other Steel types not named Heatran and off course to hit opposing grass types. Leech Seed is to recover your team and off course to do something against Bliss.

or

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Spatt / 180 Speed
Modest Nature (+Spatt,-Att)/ Calm Nature (+Spdef,-Att)/ Bold Nature (+Def,-Att)
- Leech Seed
- Substitute/Protect/Aromatherapy
- Seed Flare
- Hp Fire/ Earth Power

This also supports your team with Leech Seed. Second slot depends on you. Sub to block status and Seismic Toss. Protect to Leech Seed stall + getting leftovers. Aromatherapy to heal your team and waking up Gyara. Hp Fire is for Scizor and Earth Power for Tran, although you have Gyara for Tran and Scizor. Nature depends on you, if you want more power with modest. More Spdef or more def like your Celebi had (although you probably have Donphan).

I do have more suggestions, but this is just to push you in the right direction. Good luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)