SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

While for older players we would know, from a game developer perspective you want to make sure a new younger player would know. Leaving Fly, Surf, and Waterfall the way they are just makes them seem like normal TMs, hiding that they are tools to be used on the overworld for possible progression (especially if they keep in the HM roadblocks). Making them into separate HMs helps showing neweer younger players these are different from normal TMs and just in general makes it easy to find as they'll be at the bottom of the TM/HM list.

Also we need to add in the other HMs.
Mabye they could just be marked at the top of the TM List or in a seperate bag completely but still function like HMs? Or keep the HM name but have them act as TMs.

I was a person who's first real Pokemon experience was Pearl (I came in on Gen 3, but Gen 4 was the first one where I knew what I was doing in some capacity), so I definitely have a nostalgic attachment to that. I think the basic structure can be maintained for nostaglia, but even Gen 4's fans probably won't argue that the overall region design could probably use an update (Mt. Coronet's HM saturation in particular), and there's a lot of stuff to address in the lore: How do the Creation Trio and Arceus fit into a sort of "power hierarchy" now that we have other Pokemon like the Primals, Mega Rayquaza, or the Tao Trio (and Original Dragon in Lore)? Does Arceus govern all of existence, or just our dimension (ergo are the Ultra Beasts outside his sphere)?

As for the previous third entry prospect drought, there's one very obvious aspect not touched on: Necrozma. It's speculated to be related to the Ultra Beasts, and more exploration of Ultra Space seems like an obvious means of expansion in a Gen 7 follow up, and if you look at it, it's very odd in its placement: no particular fanfare, unremarkable as is, and isn't it just kind of in the grass as opposed to a "present" encounter?

Besides that, there's both back story points they can go into as well as unexplored points, mainly with Zygarde and the Guardians. Are the Guardian Deities committed to protecting the Islands or the Islands' people? Say Lusamine's plans opened the Ultra Wormhole and the immediate means to close it would devastate the island's societies. Would the Guardians come to blows with Zygarde (who would want the hole closed ASAP to keep order) or assist it (save the islands at the cost of the people)? And at the risk of continuing to sound like fanfiction, Zygarde's just kind of there, would it have any kind of interaction with the Ultra Beasts? A completely outside factor like them would probably catch attention of a mon who already has to maintain a delicate balance with what the world already hosts.
Arceus doesn't really govern anything. It is the creator, but that's about as far as it goes. Dialga and Palkia are probably still regarded as deities in Sinnoh lore, though perhaps they'll get something special if there's remakes in the works.

I take it that the Guardian deities are all really fickle, but would probably prioritize defending their territory and facing strong challengers over the Alolan people. Tapu Koko especially is known for not necessarily coming to the people of Melemele Island's aid despite their worship, but will approach something that catches its curiosity... say, someone protecting a mysterious Pokemon that should have stayed in the freaking bag?

Either way, it would depend on if Zygarde makes itself seen as the greater threat, though the guardians probably can't quite match the complete formes' power if it can truly overwhelm Xerneas or Yveltal. Then again, the dex puts that "or" in there, meaning it's unknown if even its full power would be enough to stop both Life and Death Destruction Pokemon at once, or even if all four guardians got their act together and worked in unison.

Now, if the Ultra Beasts did prove to be a serious threat to the balance of the world's ecosystem, then Zygarde would definitely assemble on its own to confront the threat. That's its job. But as the Ultra Beasts all apparently just really want to go back home to Ultra Space, would they actually be that big of a threat?
While for older players we would know, from a game developer perspective you want to make sure a new younger player would know. Leaving Fly, Surf, and Waterfall the way they are just makes them seem like normal TMs, hiding that they are tools to be used on the overworld for possible progression (especially if they keep in the HM roadblocks). Making them into separate HMs helps showing neweer younger players these are different from normal TMs and just in general makes it easy to find as they'll be at the bottom of the TM/HM list.

Also we need to add in the other HMs.
All that's really needed is for the NPC that hands you the move to tell you what it can be used for and add that back into the move's description. That is, if they opt to leave them as TM's and replace a couple other moves with the others, which seems unlikely considering OR/AS made Rock Smash an HM again just so you couldn't bring over something that learned it by TM in X/Y and smash your way through the Rusturf Tunnel or the rocks on the southern part of Route 111.

"The user swamps the field with a huge wave. It can also be used to cross bodies of water."

"The user charges at the opponent with the speed to climb waterfalls."

"The user flies into the sky on the first turn, and attacks on the second. It can also be used to fly to any previously visited town."

Granted, Waterfall is pretty obvious what it can do, and Alola lacks any waterfalls to think to try the move on.

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
If DPPt remakes are in the works, I don't really see them deviating from HMs all that much. The most I could see them doing is simply toning down the required usage of them throughout the story, like scrapping Fog weather entirely so that Defog wouldn't be necessary (though not having Defog available would be sad for competitive cart play).

Also, just because some former HMs like Cut don't exist in S/M as TMs doesn't mean that Game Freak wouldn't bring them back as HMs in another remake. After all, Dive wasn't a TM or a HM in X/Y.

If DPPt remakes are in the works, I don't really see them deviating from HMs all that much. The most I could see them doing is simply toning down the required usage of them throughout the story, like scrapping Fog weather entirely so that Defog wouldn't be necessary (though not having Defog available would be sad for competitive cart play).
Eh, fog existed in BW but didn't affect battles and wasn't clearable with Defog. Maybe they could tone it down like that. I kind of liked fog as an overworld effect, I wouldn't want to see it disappear entirely.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's sun and moon weirdest mystery

what are those lines under the ace female ace trainer's eyebrows? a second pair of eyebrows? scars? weird indentations in her head?
Definietly weird, especially since if you remove them or the eyebrows you have her giving a different expression (without them she looks upset, but without her eyebrows she looks angry/disgusted). I'm going with what Detective Barricade said, probably the upper limit of the eyelid. Odd to see it on an anime character, but I guess it's to show she's both upset and angry?

Definietly weird, especially since if you remove them or the eyebrows you have her giving a different expression (without them she looks upset, but without her eyebrows she looks angry/disgusted). I'm going with what Detective Barricade said, probably the upper limit of the eyelid. Odd to see it on an anime character, but I guess it's to show she's both upset and angry?
She's probably a bit of both and embarrassed, considering as an Ace Trainer she's one of the best of the best. She had some confidence going in to the battle, and now that she's lost she's a little shaken up.

So after just having a discussion regarding Marshadow, Game Freak up and reveals the 'mon as the promotional mythic pokemon to go with the new movie, Pokemon I Choose You. Check your phones, because somebody on this tread called it!

...just not me, I'm as surprised as anyone. This does indeed mean that Gamefreak has burned through their entire pokedex in less than a year. Is this really the end of the Alola dex? Or has Gamefreak finally wised up and decided to keep hidden 'mons ACTUALLY hidden (via DLC or future patches or something).

Also after years of movie neglect, Ho-oh is finally going to star in one.

So you can stop screaming now! We heard you!

What is our mom's job that would allow her to do this and freely move to Alola, surely absent dad can't be flipping the bill for this. And now that I'm done, the conspiracy theorists can now come in and theorize how Kukui is the player's father. *roll's eyes, especially since this would mean Kukui either cheated on Burnet or did a one night stand with our mom before leaving her and eventually marrying Burnet*
Actually, I think our Alola Dad is mentioned. I do remember Kanto Dad is mentioned, Hoenn Dad is shown, Sinnoh Dad is hinted at through Palmer, and Kalos Dad is mentioned.

If it's true that those two live-action Sun/Moon trailers were based on the game (likely not, since we don't move back to Kanto at the end like he does), then it seems like either Mom and you move ahead to Alola to prepare the house for Dad who's getting transferred there from his job but then he's allowed to stay so you move back, or Mom and Dad separate, but make amends and come back together, and you go home. Either way, it seems likely that Mom isn't the one with the job, and Dad is paying for the move.

Actually, I think our Alola Dad is mentioned. I do remember Kanto Dad is mentioned, Hoenn Dad is shown, Sinnoh Dad is hinted at through Palmer, and Kalos Dad is mentioned.

If it's true that those two live-action Sun/Moon trailers were based on the game (likely not, since we don't move back to Kanto at the end like he does), then it seems like either Mom and you move ahead to Alola to prepare the house for Dad who's getting transferred there from his job but then he's allowed to stay so you move back, or Mom and Dad separate, but make amends and come back together, and you go home. Either way, it seems likely that Mom isn't the one with the job, and Dad is paying for the move.
wishlist for gen 8: your parent is a single dad

So after just having a discussion regarding Marshadow, Game Freak up and reveals the 'mon as the promotional mythic pokemon to go with the new movie, Pokemon I Choose You. Check your phones, because somebody on this tread called it!

...just not me, I'm as surprised as anyone. This does indeed mean that Gamefreak has burned through their entire pokedex in less than a year. Is this really the end of the Alola dex? Or has Gamefreak finally wised up and decided to keep hidden 'mons ACTUALLY hidden (via DLC or future patches or something).

Also after years of movie neglect, Ho-oh is finally going to star in one.

So you can stop screaming now! We heard you!
Huh, that's strange. I would've figured Ash-Pikachu would be all the promotion the movie needed, given, you know, it's apparently re-creating the first episode of the anime. On that note, I wonder if this Pikachu will be able to trade/transfer to future games, or if they'll lock it to Sun and Moon...

Perhaps Pokemon Stars holds some secrets, and will only partially be compatible with Sun and Moon like OR/AS was with X/Y? Or maybe we'll be going straight into gen 8 by next fall?

Though will Marshadium-Z be given with it when players go to redeem the QR code, or will that be a Mystery Gift later down the road?

I sometimes entertain the thought that Mom murdered dad, got his life insurance and then ran off to Alola because the cops in Kanto were out to get her. That's also why she doesn't unpack her stuff, she gotta be ready to be on the move. The cat knows btw.

Huh, that's strange. I would've figured Ash-Pikachu would be all the promotion the movie needed, given, you know, it's apparently re-creating the first episode of the anime. On that note, I wonder if this Pikachu will be able to trade/transfer to future games, or if they'll lock it to Sun and Moon...

Perhaps Pokemon Stars holds some secrets, and will only partially be compatible with Sun and Moon like OR/AS was with X/Y? Or maybe we'll be going straight into gen 8 by next fall?

Though will Marshadium-Z be given with it when players go to redeem the QR code, or will that be a Mystery Gift later down the road?
Guess you could call it our Last Surprise.

You'll never see it coming!

Moving relevant, I think the interesting topic is how they are connecting Marshadow to Ho-oh. While the anime revising details is nothing new, Ho-oh is about the last pokemon I'd suspect Marshadow to be a vassal of. Maybe it's supposed to be related to ash? The charcoal and the person.

Really, I thought Marshodow would be related to Ultra Beasts or the Cosmog line. Or Gen 4 related as following the pattern they'd be the next remake.

Guess another friendly reminder that Gamefreak is becoming more and more unpredictable.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

Alola Dad is only mentioned once: the trainer guide on your desk is from him.

I sometimes entertain the thought that Mom murdered dad, got his life insurance and then ran off to Alola because the cops in Kanto were out to get her. That's also why she doesn't unpack her stuff, she gotta be ready to be on the move. The cat knows btw.
Of course Meowth knows, it was the murder weapon.

Really, I thought Marshodow would be related to Ultra Beasts or the Cosmog line. Or Gen 4 related as following the pattern they'd be the next remake.
Actually I would relate Marshadow to the Island Guardians more. Just has that feeling of being some kind of lost/hidden guardian spirit.

I came up with a theory that I think holds water and justifies there not being any megas for new regions. The official canon says that mega stones were made from the souls of Pokemon who were used as energy for the Kalos weapon, right? If some pokemon are not in Kalos, they couldn't have been used as power for the weapon and as such there would be no mega stone for them. It also explains why only some pokemon have megas.

I came up with a theory that I think holds water and justifies there not being any megas for new regions. The official canon says that mega stones were made from the souls of Pokemon who were used as energy for the Kalos weapon, right? If some pokemon are not in Kalos, they couldn't have been used as power for the weapon and as such there would be no mega stone for them. It also explains why only some pokemon have megas.
In reality, nothing explains any of it and the whole mechanic is just an embarrassing, jump-the-shark joke.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Except Hoenn has Mega Stones. It's explained the excess Infinity Energy that was released when Groudon/Kyogre went through Primal Reversal to become their Primal forms. Infinity Energy is believed to be the energy that the Ultimate Weapon was also powered by.

The best explanation is just that Alola doesn't have a source of Infinity Energy. It does have Ultra Energy, though in-world who knows if that has anything to do with the lack of Infinity Energy or if there's a relation between the two.

Biggest mystery in my opinion. Why are Cosplay Pikachu and Spiky-Eared Pichu present in Sun and Moon's coding... If they're not transferrable outside of the Johto/Hoenn remakes? Will Cap Pikachu follow the same fate, despite it also being present in the code (obviously)? Also, what kind of Raichu variant will we get for Sinnoh remakes?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Biggest mystery in my opinion. Why are Cosplay Pikachu and Spiky-Eared Pichu present in Sun and Moon's coding... If they're not transferrable outside of the Johto/Hoenn remakes? Will Cap Pikachu follow the same fate, despite it also being present in the code (obviously)? Also, what kind of Raichu variant will we get for Sinnoh remakes?
Cosplay Pikachu is in there due to part laziness and part practicality. GF's thinking is that if it's not effecting the code they have in anyway there's no point in removing it, and with remakes being a thing who knows if they won't ever reuse a previous idea. If you look through the sprites for Key Items you'll discover a whole batch of Key Items from previous generation also in the code. And yes, this would also be the fate of Cap Pikachu if its not transferable.

Spiky-Eared Pichu is an odd case as it had no unique sprite until Sun & Moon so they would have to make the effort to add one in. Does this mean they have plans to bring it back? Maybe, I discuss the possibility on this thread. However it could once again just be a precautionary thing and plans change all the time.

Cosplay Pikachu is in there due to part laziness and part practicality. GF's thinking is that if it's not effecting the code they have in anyway there's no point in removing it, and with remakes being a thing who knows if they won't ever reuse a previous idea. If you look through the sprites for Key Items you'll discover a whole batch of Key Items from previous generation also in the code. And yes, this would also be the fate of Cap Pikachu if its not transferable.

Spiky-Eared Pichu is an odd case as it had no unique sprite until Sun & Moon so they would have to make the effort to add one in. Does this mean they have plans to bring it back? Maybe, I discuss the possibility on this thread. However it could once again just be a precautionary thing and plans change all the time.
I really do hate that they have these exclusive variants. I hope Cap Pikachu and Ash-Greninja don't follow suit. We should be able to have all the different Pokémon available to us.

I really do hate that they have these exclusive variants. I hope Cap Pikachu and Ash-Greninja don't follow suit. We should be able to have all the different Pokémon available to us.
I don't really care about spiky-ear Pichu, but I certainly don't want Ash-Greninja to be stuck to the Alola region. At the same time, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this were the case.

At the same time, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this were the case.
I would, and that's for the simple fact Ash-Greninja can be banked; Cosplay Pikachu couldn't, which implied you wouldn't be able to transfer it. That's obviously not the case for Frog Ninja when it is even flagged as a pokemon from the previous generation ( Kalos ).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)