New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread - BW RU Edition

Quiver Dance / Giga Drain / HP Rock / Sleep Powder is definitely standard. What I like about his post though is the well-thought-out EV spread. In the past I was too lazy and just went max spe max spa Life Orb (which is good) but it's good to have an alternative, bulky-ish spread especially if you want to use Leftovers. Keep in mind that substitute is not a bad option over Aromatherapy, as it allows you to absorb status but instead of using a turn on Aromatherapy you gain a turn by getting a free sub (hopefully). Not to mention Substitute is just one of the more useful filler moves out there.

edit2: y'know, I forgot that 1st gen starters were male-only releases. Sorry. :[

Generally I only check it in PO's teambuilder, but I also for some reason thought it learned stone edge too. Guess it's a set that you can only dream of...

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunately, Charizard doesn't actually get Stone Edge, only Rock Slide. I guess you could use that, but in general I don't know if it would be worth it. Also, only male DW charizard is released, meaning it can't have the Egg Move Dragon Dance with Solar Power

I've found Choice Specs Accelgor to be quite a beast. It can catch people off guard to, because Accelgor is'nt exactly the most used pokemon in RU.

Here's what I run:

Accelgor @ Choice Specs
252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed
Timid Nature
Bug Buzz/Focus Blast/Energy Ball/HP Fire
I perfer Energy Ball to Giga Drain because Accelgor wont be taking many hits.

My friend has used this set on me multiple times, and when it gets the chance to set up it can be quite a beast. Normally he uses it as a late-game sweeper, but it works as a lead as well. I've been talking for a bit too long, so here it is:

Beautifly @ Focus Sash
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP (it might be def/spd, i'm not sure)
Modest/Timid (again, i'm not sure)
Trait/Ability: Swarm
Quiver Dance
Energy Ball
Bug Buzz
Psychic

I know, I know, Beautifly is technically in NU but trust me, this set can work.
The concept isn't too hard to grasp; you set up with QD, and wreak havoc. Swarm plus Focus Sash works really nicely with this set; QD until the Sash is activated, or you get to really low health, and then the boosts in Special and Speed pretty much do the rest. Plus, the Swarm boost helps too.

Check-and-counter wise, a special wall that resists or gets neutral on it's attacks (such as a Togetic with Eviolite; its defenses can take the hit, and it can return fire with a STAB air cutter even after QD, since it walls Beautifly's attacks anyways) usually force it out, and entry hazards or residual damage are always bad news for Sashed pokemon. Since it makes use of a focus sash, it's easy Sucker Punch bait after the sash is activated (or any priority move, for that matter); and regardless, being an NU pokemon, its defenses aren't stellar either, so an unboosted priority move that hits for neutral or super effective damage will probably take it out anyways. (Ice shard anybody?)

This set, obviously, needs a good team around it in order to work well. Healers/clerics are always welcome, and spinners are useful for getting rid of those entry hazards. Beautifly is weak to fire, ice, rock, and flying (tell me if i'm missing anything here), so a pokemon that can take the hit and then hit back would be. Aggron would be a good example. It resists rock, the most potent threat to beautifly (unless its already boosted, then energy ball will take care of it), and can retaliate with Head Smash or Stone edge for fire, ice, and flying types, and earthquake for the rock types. In terms of walls for support, either will do depending on what you're predicting the opponent will try to KO you with on the switch out; physical for most rock and flying attacks, and special for most fire and ice attacks.

I haven't run any damage calcs for it (seeing as it's not my set to begin with) but if someone could help me out there then that would be really awesome. Don't underestimate this beautiful butterfly!

I mean, with Vemonoth gone it might work... but then again, Lilligant exists. And without Sleep Powder, Beautifly isn't setting up on anything.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Talking about Quiver Dancing shitty bugs, I have a similarly gimmicky set:

Butterfree @ Leftovers
Trait: Compoundeyes
4HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Sleep Powder
-Quiver Dance
-Substitute
-Bug Buzz / HP Flying

Works decently well considering it's a goddamn Butterfree, with layer support late game. The idea is to fake with the Sleep Powder to force switches to the sleep absorber, only to QD or set up a sub in their face. If you can get a Sub up against something like Ferroseed, you're ready to rock. If you sleep their absorber, and they'll have to switch out yet again, because Sub + 97% accuracy sleep powder means that you'll set up to eternity otherwise. Often you'll get more QDs than you deserve by substituting repeatedly on Stone Edges. Completely countered by pHazers, especially Munchlax with ResTalk + Whirlwind. Sableye support welcome for keeping the layers and laughing at munchlax.

I mean, with Vemonoth gone it might work... but then again, Lilligant exists. And without Sleep Powder, Beautifly isn't setting up on anything.
There's also the fact that Mothim can run the exact same set, except that every single one of Mothim's base stats is greater than or equal to Beautifly's. Also Mothim has Tinted Lens.

Theorymonnig here:

Electrode@Life Orb
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest
Aftermath:
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power [Ice]
~Volt Switch
~Taunt

Similar to Hydreigon, Eectrode acts as a stallbreaker. The fastest taunter in the tier, and has acess to Volt Switch for scouting. Life Orb gives him more power which he is lacking, and Thunderbolt + Hidden Power ice gives great coverage.

Really loving Sawsbuck down here. CB shreds things apart.

Sawsbuck @ Choice Band
Sap Sipper
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Speed
-Horn Leech
-Double Edge/Retaliate
-Jump Kick
-Retaliate/Megahorn/Baton Pass

Horn Leech for STAB and recovery, Double Edge to Hit like a truck, Retaliate to hit like an even harder truck after a Poke fainted, Jump Kick for Steels. Last move depends on what you want. I use Retaliate if I bring him in to revenge and don't want Double Edge recoil, but Megahorn could be used for coverage, or Baton Pass to send off a Sap Sipper boost to another Poke.

Megahorn is a really good choice on CB Sawsbuck because it lets you kill the same Grass-types you're switching in to for a Sap Sipper boost. I run it and I probably use it as much as Horn Leech or Double Edge. I prefer it for slot 4 to Retaliate, not only because it's good but also because Retaliate is kind of inviting your opponent to see your revenge kill and raise you something worse.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I tried using something I call a "Quashkrow", by abusing its new move Quash. While some of you may be going WTF is Quash, its actually a very viable set. Quash forces your opponent to move second. Here's the set:

Honchrow @ Life Orb
Super Luck
Adamant
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Hp
- Quash
- Brave Bird
- Night Slash
- Superpower

Between BB, NS and Superpower. Honchrow has access to 3 powerful moves coming off fantastic attacks with perfect coverage. Get in Honchrow and force something out. Hit the switchin with Quash and bam, suddenly your opponent's check or counter is no longer viable. If they were trying to outspeed and KO, they now get KOd instead. This set is best used with heavy hazard support and wish support. Essentially get up SR and Spikes. Then get in Honchrow and spam Quash on every predicted switch. If your opponent stays in, they get smacked by a powerful move. If they choose to switch, they get punished by hazards. Wish and spin support allow Honchrow to live longer. Try it, you wont be disappointed.

I tried using something I call a "Quashkrow", by abusing its new move Quash. While some of you may be going WTF is Quash, its actually a very viable set. Quash forces your opponent to move second. Here's the set:

Honchrow @ Life Orb
Super Luck
Adamant
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Hp
- Quash
- Brave Bird
- Night Slash
- Superpower

Between BB, NS and Superpower. Honchrow has access to 3 powerful moves coming off fantastic attacks with perfect coverage. Get in Honchrow and force something out. Hit the switchin with Quash and bam, suddenly your opponent's check or counter is no longer viable. If they were trying to outspeed and KO, they now get KOd instead. This set is best used with heavy hazard support and wish support. Essentially get up SR and Spikes. Then get in Honchrow and spam Quash on every predicted switch. If your opponent stays in, they get smacked by a powerful move. If they choose to switch, they get punished by hazards. Wish and spin support allow Honchrow to live longer. Try it, you wont be disappointed.
Quash doesn't make the opposing Pokemon move last until it switches out. It only makes them move last on the turn Quash is used.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Quash doesn't make the opposing Pokemon move last until it switches out. It only makes them move last on the turn Quash is used.
Honckrow only needs that one turn to wreak havoc. Very few things can take a hit from it.

It also only counters revenge killers, If I switch in my Rhydon to wall you, quash doesn't do jack diddly as I'm slower anyway.
This being one of them. However, with enough entry hazards damage, Rhydon can still be 2HKOd by Superpower. As I said, this set works best with a lot of hazards support. Just need to play correctly: Quash whenever you anticipate a switch, then smack the newcomer hard.

I don't think you understand, it only works the same turn it is used, not the next turn. If the opponent already moved, then Quash fails - it doesn't force them to move last the next turn. Unless there is a glitch on PO, Quash is completely useless outside of Doubles/Triples.

I've got another set in the idea of discussions here since everybody in the suspect thread is talking about Sableye:

Claydol @ Aiming Mark
252 HP/80 Def/176 SpDef
Calm / Levitate

Shadow Ball
Rapid Spin
Trick
Stealth Rock/Earth Power

He might be the only pokemon that has Rapid Spin and Trick (in ru at least)? Vs. Sableye you have to trick it on the switch-in, but vs. other ghosts you can slow-trick them the Aiming Mark then spin away. Shadow Ball is to keep them from setting up Subs on you, while Earth Power is a back-up stab move, and stealth rock is stealth rock. Obvious drawback is that if you don't trick onto the ghost you can't spin, but its spinning efforts can never be stopped if you successfully pull it off, and Claydol has the defenses to handle a good deal of physical attackers well. EVs can be adapted to deal with whatever you need to. Toxic is also a good option in the last slot.

This set was very team specific since I was extremely weak to certain special attackers:

Drapion @ Choice Scarf
Battle Armor
Careful
252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 Spe
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake / Taunt / Toxic Spikes

Can function similarly to Krookodile except a lot weaker and with a lot more bulk. The EVs allow it to tank special hits extremely well, making it an effective revenge killer against most common special attackers in RU. Surprisingly enough, Drapion hits 373 speed even with minimal investment, outspeeding max speed base 120's like Alakazam and Sceptile. You could probably forgo some defense to outspeed Accelgor but it isn't common enough to warrant the drop in bulk.

Pokemon Name: Lopunny
Moveset Name: No Worries, Archeops!
Move 1: Switcheroo
Move 2: Thunder Wave
Move 3: Toxic
Move 4: Healing Wish
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Klutz
Nature(s): Timid / Jolly
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Defence

I designed this Lopunny with the intention to support Archeops, whether it be through crippling walls with toxic, or slowing down more offensive threats such as Alakazam or Omastar, Infact Lopunny can take a +2 surf from Omastar if the opponent is Timid and runs White Herb and finally destroying Eviolite users such as Ferroseed or Munchlax with Switcheroo since I am not locked into a move because of Klutz. Healing wish completely restores Archeops' HP, Status and PP, Effectively like I never used it.

Time to theorymon.

Wailord@Choice Scarf
Hasty, Water Veil
4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Water Spout
- Blizzard
- HP Electric
- Heavy Slam

Wailord has base 170 HP and Water Spout. Under normal circumstances this would be deadly, but in the rain, you'll be punching holes in teams left and right. Unfortunately, Wailord's pretty slow and is forced to run a scarf. He also has a mediocre Special Attack, but the sheer power of his Water Spout makes that irrelevant. His other moves are really just placeholders to deal with things that resist Water Spout.

Stuff that's lighter than you. And Wailord weighs almost 900 pounds, which is quite a bit more than a large part of the tier.
But I kind of agree with Ice Beam. It's less powerful, but doesn't always miss like Blizzard does.

Heavy Slam has mediocre coverage and doesn't really hit anything much harder, if at all, than Wailord's coverage moves. Personally I'd go with Hydro Pump / Surf over that to have a reliable STAB move in the event that Wailord's HP is too low to abuse Water Spout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)