New and Effective Cores

Now that Dream World has its own section and contains all the Pokemon suspect banned from the Standard OU tier we can now observe a specific aspect of the meta-game, which is the new Cores that are developing. Genesect, Manaphy, Excadrill, and Keldeo are all powerful, but along with that power comes their great defensive capabilities and why they are now forming new cores. In this thread the most effective cores that have been seen will be discussed.

A core is basically the main 2 to 3 Pokemon that a player builds his team around for maximum checks, counters, and over all effectiveness in the meta-game. Cores can be offensive or defensive.

BW OU Core Examples:
Rotom-W + Scizor + Landorus
Magnezone + Dragons
Celebi + Heatran + Rotom-W
Reuniclus + Conkeldurr
These are a few examples of what a lot of teams are built around in BW OU. Have you seen them in DW OU so far? I know I haven't so lets start discussing and revealing new solid cores that people have been coming up with in DW OU!

Rules:
Don't list cores that are not untested or you think are really "cool".

Provide a decent sized description of the core you are describing.

Considering it is a new meta-game please don't steal other peoples ideas that you don't see very often, but are effective.

List the cores strengths and why it is viable in the meta-game to allow the thread to flow with great posts and creative thoughts.

Tell what is necessary for the core to have maximum effectiveness or at least its weaknesses.

These three Pokemon Partner up well on several sand teams. They are in my first successful DW OU team and they work together in various ways. The first and most notable would have to be how Gliscor breaks teams down with Protect/Earthquake/Toxic/Substitute. It is defensive in a powerful meta-game and really plays his role. Excadrill is the teams main revenger and spinner who in sand has 604 speed. Him being a Steel type helps the team in various ways and his power + great stab Earthwquake make him extremely reliable in the process of completely oblitherating the opponent or coming back in a close game. Thundurus allows this core to become more efficient. It does so by giving the team more coverage and slowing down major threats in DW OU with a +1 priority Thunder Wave. This core is great partnered with various bulky Pokemon and of course needs a Sandstream Pokemon for maximum effectiveness.

These three Pokemon are very viable in the meta-game because they all have a chance to utilize the abilities they are best known for. They also have great coverage in the meta-game and only need bulky support for maximum effectiveness. The team is weak to Rain teams that can handle Thundurus, but that's all I have observed so far. I've been using this team since the beginning of DW OU's activity in the DST.

Feel free to comment on the cores posted! Discuss!

Tentacruel makes a great partner for SubSeed, HP Ice Serperior because it can take Fire, Poison, and Bug attacks aimed at Serperior while Serperior takes Electric and Ground attacks aimed at Tentacruel. Serperior can also take on Bulky Waters that may come in on Tentacruel to wall it. Tentacruel can also at least check Heatran, Scizor, and Genesect that will give Serperior a hard time.

Tentacruel's main niches over other bulky waters are its access to Toxic Spikes and ability to absorb them thanks to its Poison-typing. Both of these make it much easier for Serperior to stall the opponents it can't kill outright, such as Blissey. Tentacruel also has access to Rapid Spin, which is useful to remove multiple layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock that will hinder Seperior's Ability to repeatedly switch in.

Some Pokemon that give this core problems are Excadrill, Volcarona, and Dragon-types after they've set up. Skarmory can take on Excadrill and Dragon-types, Whirlwinding them both out to remove their boosts and rack up residual damage. Clerics such as Chansey and Blissey are also useful as Serperior will still hate getting hit by Toxic, Thunder Wave, or a Burn from Scald as it switches in. They can also provide Wish support for Tentacruel, although, I've found that Serperior's Leech Seed generally keeps it around for long enough to do its job. Politoed is another good partner for this core as it removes the Sandstorm and Sun that may come with Excadrill or Volcarona, making them easier to be taken out by Serperior and Tentacruel, respectively. The removal of Sandstorm is also helpful so Serperior doesn't get worn down and Scalds from most Bulky Waters will still not break Serperior's Substitute.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This core consists of Excadrill, Garchomp, and Tyranitar. I have been using this core on my recent sand team, and these three Pokemon work amazingly well together. MixTar sets up the sand and Stealth Rock required for Garchomp and Excadrill, with Garchomp and Excadrill wearing each others counters down.

MixTar also deals with Ferrothorn and Forretress with Fire Blast, along with Gliscor at decent health with Ice Beam. Tyranitar can take any special hits aimed at Garchomp or Excadrill as well. Tyranitar can also do reliable STAB damage with Crunch, and just over all support the other two very well.

Sub + SD Garchomp is the RAGE of the group. The idea is to get a sub up, sd, and sweep. It wears down everything that counters Excadrill bar Skarmory, and can combine with Tyranitar to really just demolish everything.

SD Excadrill is the standard for physical power. The strongest attacker of the group, Garchomp and Tyranitar deal with Excadrill's counters so it can sweep.

This trio is weak to a Landorus with a sub up, along with Excadrill, even thought Garchomp can take an EQ and Tyranitar can take a Jolly EQ. For this reason, Gliscor partners well with these two. Thundurus is also a very helpful partner to deal with physical walls in general.

Excadrill and Chandelure work really well together. (until Chandelure gets banned that is.) Many of Excadrill's counters are walls that can hit Excadrill back for supereffective damage or strong priority users, such as Jellicent, Breloom, Slowbro, and Gliscor. All of those Pokemon are OHKOd by Chandelure. After Chandelure cleans out the Excadrill counters, Excadrill can then sweep.

Feel free to comment on the cores posted!

I like the whole Chandelure + Excadrill combo. This combination is an excellent strategy. It is a very effective offensive core that many sand teams run. However many sand teams themselves counter the duo with their own Pursuit Tyranitar, Gliscor, Excadrill, or Chandelure. Pursuit is one specific difference that this tier has that BW OU doesn't. Every Tyranitar has the move Pursuit except DD TTar, which isn't too good in this tier. Chandelure has made this move a necessity on Tyranitar instead of him having an option like in BW OU. Fortunately and unfortunately Chandelure probably won't be staying in DW OU for too long. Shadow Tag + so much power is OP in my opinion.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
Use expert belt chandy with HP fighting, it still shanks all dorys counters anyway, as well as creating the same pressure the scarfer does. sometimes you nab a cheeky scizor as well

2 kills for the price of one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)