Gen 2 New to team building - Playing on Cartridge

Hello Community! I'm trying to get into competitive team building for Gen II team to play with a friend on console. I'd appreciate any piece of advice from those who know better or from anyone whom has any ideas, everything is welcome! I've been testing one defensive as well as one offensive team. These are the setups:

For my defensive list I decided to run a Heal Bell-centered team featuring some good walls and spike combos.

Forretress @ Leftovers
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Toxic

My first choice to open up with is Forretress. Spikes and Rapid Spin to set up and take care of entry hazards. Toxic to be an annoyance plus is atk & sp atk are nothing to worry about so I think that might work out. Explosion as a last resource move.
Possible changes: Toxic > Reflect

My idea is that Forretress sets the scenario for an optimal battle. If my opponent is running Spikes too, then I'll take care of For until I can deal with his Spiker to clean up. If I can set up Spikes, then changing to Suicune to start dealing damage with Roar is what I normally would go for.

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The first Pokemon I chose as attacker is Exeggutor. Psychic STAB deals a lot of damage and can take care of threats like Machamp and Gengar. Hidden Power [Fire] to surprise attack those Steel types. Sleep Powder as a really powerful sleep inducer is a must. And Rest, that will appear in most of my movesets as together with Heal Bell on Miltank give me a full restore on any Pokemon without drawbacks.

Suicune @ Leftovers
- Toxic
- Roar
- Rest
- Surf

One of the best walls in the game as far as I know, Suicune takes the spot. Roar is there to follow up my Spikes. Toxic to cover her lack of atk power. Surf STAB self-explanatory. And Rest once again combo with Heal Bell.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Ice Beam
- Dynamic Punch

Main Mix Sweeper of choice here is Dragonite. Really powerful and versatile, it can learn almost anything to deal with a variety of dangers. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam really effective against a lot of types; I chose those instead of Thunder and Blizzard for they have better accuracy and will do the job most efficiently. Dynamic Punch to take care of Lax and the sort. And Rest again, for the combo.

Testing Marowak as suggested below for the moment.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Body Slam

Curselax one of the best, if not THE best Pokemon in Gen II as I am concerned, couldn't miss a spot in my list. Really powerful after he boosts his attack and defense. Earthquake will deal a lot of damage to most Pokemon. Body Slam is there to take care of everything else. I decided to run that instead of Double-edge as I found the 30% PAR to be really effective.

Miltank @ Leftovers
- Growl
- Body Slam
- Heal Bell
- Milk Drink

Last but not least, Miltank works as Heal Beller. I don't think she has any other use apart from that, but Heal Bell is so powerful in itself that I think is worth running. Growl is there to try and nullify Curses if anything shall happen to Suicune. Body Slam for the PAR mostly. And Milk Drink to heal as she cannot heal with Rest as everyone else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then, on the other side of the coin I would like to bring a more offensive approach. In this case I've been messing around with:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Zapdos being one of the best Pokemon up to Gen II didn't have to make any effort to get into the team. Great coverage with Thunder and HP Ice to hit everyelse (looking at you Ground-Types). Rest/Sleep Talk combo enables him to absorb any Sleeper shenanigans.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Rest
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake

Classic curselax again appears here. But in this case I went with Double-Edge in favour of Body Slam for I value more the high damage input that the status.

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
- Explosion
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic

Another approach to Exeggutor with Explosion for cleaning. Sleep Powder really powerful all game through. Giga Drain to cover water and heal off of it. And Psychic of course, really powerful STAB move, couldn't be off the list.

Cloyster @ Leftovers
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Surf
- Toxic

For a Spiker I choose to run Cloyster in this case. I feel he performs its job better here and I'm not running another water Pokemon, so he is the one packing Surf. Toxic and Spikes to be an annoyance and Explosion for massive damage. No rapid spin here, the goal is to end the match ASAP.

Gengar @ Leftovers
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Hypnosis
- Explosion

Oh Gengar, you are such a scum to deal with. With an insane variety of moves he can pack, your opponent will never know for sure what to expect. Thunderbolt and Ice Punch to cover most weaknesses. Hypnosis as sleeping is really powerful, couldn't miss the spot. And lastly, following the hyper-aggresive train, Explosion makes its appearance once more.

Machamp @ Leftovers
- Cross Chop
- Curse
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide

At the very bottom of the list, Machamp. With its humongous Atk value, this dude will most often than not take care of Lax, Blissey, Miltank, Tyranitar, Umbreon, and a lot more defensive mons in one hit. The wall breaker, strenghten by Curse is here to destroy a great variety of weaknesses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would enormously appreciate any feedback regarding how to improve my team. I will continue battling and share anything I come up with. Thank you very much. Have great battles!

Last edited:

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Marowak > Dnite is the most straightforward change I can suggest to up your win rate. EQ/RockSlide/SwordsDance/Rest (rest to pair with heal bell) @ thick club. Dnite is fun but Marowak gets the job done.

Not bad. Though looking at both teams the first thing i'd say is dont underestimate the amount of footwork Raikou & Zapdos can do on their own, there's a reason they're the second most popular pokes. You have no ground types/ mono electric/ blissey etc. so it looks like all your raikou/zapdos switch ins are going to be on Lax, which is an explosion magnet in itself. If you lose lax you're pretty much forced to explode to deal with them, which isn't a bad way of taking care of legendaries but being "forced" to explode isn't good, it makes it predictable and it makes it easier for the opponent to read a switch in and make you waste the explosion. Both teams look like they can't stop a Scizor setting up.

The first team is a weak to Gengar; 2 pokes are completely walled against it, only "safe" switch in you got is Snorlax and even eq Snorlax isn't really all that "safe" against Gengar. Rest on Exeggutor? Situation you would use this? I wonder if Synthesis might be better, though both are almost unheard of. I'm not really sure what Dragonite is offering over Zapdos? You normally see d.punch Dragonite with Thunder Wave and only really on teams which capitalize off the paralysis spread. I think you need a lot of luck to be able to take a lax with that Dragonite tbh.

The second team could have trouble with trap pass /charm Umbreon as it has no phazer or Baton passer. Again you're kinda at the mercy of the opponent not calling the explosions.

Neither team really has many answers for growtheons either, again very much putting a lot of pressure on Snorlax. I mean they're not bad, they should work but it does kinda look like they're a little anaemic to the tune of lacking a Steelix/ Roar Tyranitar, which would solve a lot of issues on both teams.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)