New Tournament for Battling 101 (help wanted!)

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone, you may have noticed that we're not hosting a tutee tournament this round, and that's because the Battling 101 Staff has been brainstorming ideas for a new tutee tournament. This tournament will allow for everyone, not just tutees, to participate and learn from some of the more seasoned veteran battlers in our community.

Format
  • 64 players, 8 teams (which we will call classes because it's B101), 8 players per class. Each class gets 2 teachers who specialize in certain tiers who will be assigned to teach, ghost, practice against, do whatever it takes to get their team to win. Hopefully this will be a good experience for people who didn't get selected in a B101 round to work alongside a good battler and get some advice.
  • The 8 classes will be split into two divisions, which we will call schools. Each school has 4 classes, and they will all fight within their school. Each class will fight a different class within their school every week.
  • The classes will then be seeded based on record, and will all be put into an 8 man team tournament for the remainder of the tournament.
  • Tiers will rotate depending on what kinds of teachers are willing to participate. Every week should ideally be a new tier, but we'll see after we get a general idea of how many teachers per tier/metagame.
  • An added challenge to every round: each class will be forced to play with a specific core of pokemon designated by the tournament host. Try to innovate and think outside the box!
Why change the tutee tournament?

Because frankly, the tutee tournament has died down over the past few years and we need something to rejuvenate Battling 101. People have been asking me for tutor tournaments which we've already done in the past and they've kinda flopped, but I still want to get the tutors more involved. This tournament isn't all about winning, it's about players (students) familiarizing themselves with new metagames, new playstyles, and most importantly, the Smogon community. The best class might not necessarily yield the best battlers, and that's okay.

So what is this thread about?

We need artists, ideas for a tournament name, and teachers. All tutors are eligible to be a teacher, but we are willing to accept non-tutors as well as long as they have a reputable tournament background. Since we have 2 teachers per class, we'll need 16 volunteers to teach. If there is more interest than expected, we could potentially go up to 24 teachers with 3 per class.

PM Steve Angello, Leftiez, IronBullet93, and Plus an application to be a teacher for this tournament. It doesn't have to be anything formal. If you're a tutor, just shoot us a message and we'll let you in. If you're not a tutor, just tell us the metagames you can teach and your success in Smogon Tournaments. We're looking for DPP/BW2/ORAS OU players, and ORAS NU/RU/UU/Ubers/Doubles OU as well.

Discuss away, we're open to feedback. Spread the word, and hopefully we'll have this tournament up and running soon. :toast:

Last edited:
Just a few random shmiz:

As a tournament name, I'll spit it out and say Battle Royale 101

And for team (or classes w/e) names, I guess one could go for prestigious university names like Harvard n' Yale or whatever's hip.

You could make the teams more like gyms, where the tutor would be the "gym leader" and the we would be his/her trainers. Obviously it wouldn't be monotype but it would add the mentor connotation to the whole thing. Just a thought.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
so everyone can join this tournament?

huh. seems cool.

I'll definitely join this :]
Yup, everybody can join. We're going to be giving priority to tutees of past battling 101 rounds, but everybody is encouraged to enter. We understand that it's hard to sign up for B101 rounds nowadays, so this tournament also acts as a way to interact with Smogon Tutors without actually being selected in a B101 round. It's not as good as 1 on 1 tutoring, but it's still much better than what we have now!

I have a couple of teachers lined up, all of them being Smogon tutors at the moment. Keep in mind that we'd love tournament players to help out if possible! I'll post an update on this tournament sometime tomorrow.

Yup, everybody can join. We're going to be giving priority to tutees of past battling 101 rounds, but everybody is encouraged to enter. We understand that it's hard to sign up for B101 rounds nowadays, so this tournament also acts as a way to interact with Smogon Tutors without actually being selected in a B101 round. It's not as good as 1 on 1 tutoring, but it's still much better than what we have now!

I have a couple of teachers lined up, all of them being Smogon tutors at the moment. Keep in mind that we'd love tournament players to help out if possible! I'll post an update on this tournament sometime tomorrow.
wouldn't you think that giving priority to users who haven't been tutees of past b101 (or recent b101) would be more beneficial? As you said, being selected for a B101 is pretty difficult nowadays, so wouldn't giving priorities to those who haven't/aren't able to sign up better?

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
wouldn't you think that giving priority to users who haven't been tutees of past b101 (or recent b101) would be more beneficial? As you said, being selected for a B101 is pretty difficult nowadays, so wouldn't giving priorities to those who haven't/aren't able to sign up better?
I don't think this will be a problem in a 64 man tournament, especially considering the fact that we struggle to get 16-24 tutees to sign up for the tutee tournament every two rounds in the first place. I think this tournament's going to be a good complement to b101 rounds for tutees, which is why we will give priority for tutees. I highly doubt that we're getting way more than 64 signups in the first place, but if I turn out to be wrong, then we'll rethink stuff like priority signups. If anything, we will definitely prioritize players that need help the most over those that already know what they're doing. (if you already know what you're doing then you should sign up as a teacher instead anyway)

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
Update on the tournament

Get Backer - ORAS OU / BW OU
Genesis7 - ORAS OU
Mambo - ORAS LC
macle - ORAS LC
Haruno - ORAS Ubers / DOU
PokèManiac Livio - ORAS OU / BW OU
Audiosurfer - DOU
Christo The Gr8 - ORAS UU
Tricking - ORAS OU
metaphysical - ORAS NU
Krauersaut - ORAS Ubers
King UU - ORAS UU
Yagura - ORAS LC
hollywood - ORAS NU
Aurious - ORAS OU
Mega-Swampert - ORAS NU

I have 10 teachers so far, and I think that 16-18 is a reasonable number of teachers to have given the interest. I definitely need at least 1 more UU and NU teacher if we want to play those metagames in this tournament.

Because we're using 16-18 teachers for this tournament, we'll need to revise the format a little bit.

Here's how the teacher system will work:
  • Remember that there are 2 schools and 8 teams, so 4 teams per school. Each school will get their own set of teachers specializing in a specific metagame / tier. With what we have right now, I think the teacher set up will probably look like 1 of NU/UU/DOU/Ubers/BW OU/LC and two ORAS OU per school.
  • Teachers should help all 4 teams within their school. For the first 4 weeks of the tournament, the students will fight other students in their rival school. Wins and losses for each student will be counted towards their class's overall record, which will be used to seed the teams during the elimination rounds (the second half of the tournament).
  • During the elimination rounds, teachers will be split up not by school, but by seeding. For example, UU teacher 1 will be responsible for helping the #1,3,5, and 7 seeds while UU teacher 2 takes the #2,4,6, and 8 seeds.
Here's my proposed schedule:

Week 1: ORAS OU (Tricking, Genesis7, Get Backer, Livio, Aurious)
Week 2: ORAS Ubers (Krauersaut, Haruno)
Week 3: ORAS UU (Christo, King UU)
Week 4: ORAS NU (metaphysical, hollywood, Mega-Swampert)

Elimination Rounds

Week 5: BW OU (Get Backer, Livio)
Week 6: ORAS LC (Mambo, macle, Yagura)
Week 7: Doubles OU (Audiosurfer, Haruno)
Week 8: ORAS OU (Tricking, Genesis7, Get Backer, Livio)

This schedule ensures that all students will be able to play at least one round of ORAS OU/Ubers/UU/NU/BW OU, which are more popular and requested when compared to LC and DOU.

School 1: The Krokorok Institute of Capshooters

The Gym Raticates
The Honor Roggenrollas
The Lunch Money Granbulls
The Prom Night Slowbros

School 2: The Haunter Harvard Girls Boarding School

The Weeaboo Pumpkaboos
The Solrock Stoners
The Teacher Petilils
The Marching Band Loudreds

Last edited:
So each week there will be a tourney with all the students from that tier?
If I understand correctly, it would be an 8 team tournament, where each week everyone plays the same tier and each week that tier changes. We will have assigned tutors for each tier to help us prepare for matches.

Very interested by the way, this is a great idea and should be a lot of fun.

If I understand correctly, it would be an 8 team tournament, where each week everyone plays the same tier and each week that tier changes. We will have assigned tutors for each tier to help us prepare for matches.

Very interested by the way, this is a great idea and should be a lot of fun.
Ohhhh Okay. Well now I'm even more interested, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)