Nickname discussion

I spent hours looking for a female Salandit for my in-game team in Pokemon Ultra Sun, and after finding nothing but males I was getting pissed. When i finally found a female, I ended up naming it "B*tch". I don't know how that got past Game Freak's censors, honestly.

I laughed when the game asked if I wanted to teach it Double Slap.

I usually don´t nickname my pokemon, only the most special one. So when I nickname them, I am trying to find a good nick. One of my greatest accomplishments is getting all 3 legendary birds in VC Blue shiny. My nicknames for them are:

Articuno: Snow shine (here it is reference to a) it´s shiny color, b) his color is lighter, like it "shines", and c) his ability, snow cloak, which I imagine works like this: articuno is too bright in the snow so opponents have hard time hitting him
Zapdos: Silent thunder (a little oxymoron maybe in english language, as he is the embodiment of lightning that flies silently and brings storms)
Moltres: Shine of Louny (Louny is my hometown, and when I was kid, we lived on the edge of the city, on a hill, so when I looked at the town below us after sunset, it had red shine above it on horizon. I liked to imagine that Moltres was flying there)

Another good accomplishment is catching 5iv Timid Latios with 30 IVs in attack in Ultra Ball. Named him Dream. Why dream? Because on the South Island, where the Soul Dew is, is writing: Dreams are but another reality, never forget. And he is like something out of a dream.

Can´t also forget my Rotom with 31/0/31/31/31/31. Made him Rotom-heat. Named him Crazy Oven.

My last two are two male Eevee brothers - I was hatching Timid 5IV HA Eevee to become Espeon. In one batch, I got two such Eevees, one with hidden ability, one with normal. One became Espeon, and the second Jolteon. Named them Charles and Eric. Kudos if you get the reference :-D If you don´t look into spoiler tag :-)

They are named after Charles Xavier and Eric Lehrsherr (Magneto) from X-men. Since Espeon is psychic type, it suits well with Charles s psychic powers, and Magneto controls magnetism, which is pretty close to electricity

Last edited:
Some new additions to my collection:
female Milotic - Shiraoshi
shiny female Milotic - Juvia
female Araquanid - Arachne
female Araquanid - Itsy Bitsy
Feraligatr - Kaprosuchus
Aggron - Triceraton
female A-Muk - Pega Monstra - this is feminine for Pega Monstro, a extremely popular toy in Portugal during the 90's (it translates to Sticky Monster).

Edit:
Some more additions:
female shiny Gogoat - Feta
female shiny Venomoth - Mezzanotte
female shiny Jumpluff - Primavera - Spring in Portuguese
female shiny Luvdisc - Sunny
female shiny Vespiquen - Maya
female Gothitelle - Shadow Lady
female shiny Maractus - Pitaya

Last edited:
I spent hours looking for a female Salandit for my in-game team in Pokemon Ultra Sun, and after finding nothing but males I was getting pissed. When i finally found a female, I ended up naming it "B*tch". I don't know how that got past Game Freak's censors, honestly.

I laughed when the game asked if I wanted to teach it Double Slap.
Butch?

So... thankfully, Pokemon GO makes it easy to rename things. And thus....

I have named some things:
Vaporeon: Water-related, although I try to be variative. Particularly Mizuchi みずち which is actually also a kind of water serpent deity.
Recent recruit is Aikawa あいかわ
Tyrannitar: At first it is just G_ __ ra, following name "conventions" in giant beasts or Kaiju like Gojira (Godzilla), Ghidorah, Hedorah, etc..
Names include Gojira (himself), Gomera, Gozura, Gamera, you get the idea....
I think about naming them other green things like Matcha or Wasabi too, though....
Slakking? (Kekking) : Only got two, both are corruption from Kekking ケッキング. One is just Cake ケーキ (wow, much cute, so original), the other is.... wow, much meme, so funny. (See it yourself below)
Raikou: I generally haven't named my legendaries, but eh... one now is named Ameyuri 雨揺, or roughly "shaking/shocking rain", possibly from Kirigakure's Ameyuri Ringo from Naruto.
Dragonite (Kairyuu): Haven't thought much either, It was either unoriginal like Ryuu__ or corrupting Kairyuu カイリュウ (example is Kaito カイト), or other cutesy name like Mikayu みかゆ. I don't think I want to name one Moomin, though....

Others, I haven't given other thoughts.
My Machamp brigade is still just "named" with their IV specification.
One Raichuu is named Raiclaus, because of course, Raichuu in Santa hat.
I'll want another great Raichu-would-be AnniversAloRaichuu if I can, when Gen 7 comes.
One Moltres? would be named Freya.
One Venusaur is named BIO, the name of poison spell in Final Fantasy series.

Some of my weirdest nicknames include
Tapu koko: Slapu-Koko
Golduck:Daft or PTSDuck
Magnezone:Sputnik
Ampharos: Watt?(look at them dopey eyes)
Milotic:Hera
Venusaur: He-saur-us (After the well known and awful joke)
Bewear: Hardhead Ned(great song btw)
And I named my shiny Komo-o Kinkajou
Nobody will get that Reference

Last edited:
'eazra`eel:for Yveltal,after the angel of death.
Robin hoot:for Decidueye,Robin hood+hoot,(the sound that owls make)
Whomst'd'll've:for Alakazam(mega),whom+~(e)st+would+will+have,from the memes.
Scorbat:for Gliscor,scorpin+bat.
Batbat:for Crobat,bat+... bat,because Crobat has two sets of wings...making it bat but twice... Okay this one's lame.
juggernut:for chesnaught,juggernaut+nut.

Last edited:
if you don't name your Diglett 'Niglett' and Magnemite 'Swagnemite' you don't count

also I name all my Pikachu 'Gucci Belt' idk why

I really like nicknames, so Im posting again!
Personally, I find nicknames from anime characters, other languages, ancient mythology, et cetera to be quite boring.
I like zany, silly, edgy, or random names, which is why I find most of the names here to be a bit underwhelming.

It's selective, but highlights from this thread, in my opinion, include:

Mozilla (Delphox) (Mova)
SnoopingGil's team of Pokemon named after cellular structures (Ex.) Roxie the Reuniclus in reference to the peroxisome)
Adolf Critler (Kingdra) (King Puff Gaming)

Stuff like that.
Recently my nicknames have been lacking but I have a few I like-

Sweetiekins (Slurpuff)
Shnookums (Eevee)
Fat Creature (Drowzee)
Shroom Buggy (Parasect)
Her Flatness (Female Stunfisk)
Stink Bomb (Skuntank)
Mewtwenty (Mewtwo)

Thoughts? lol

Personally, I nickname my Pokemon with a human name that starts with the same first letter. Such as:

Bianca the Blissey
Theodore the Tapu Koko
Maurice the Milotic
Gary the Garchomp
Valerie the Venusaur
Harold the Hawlucha

I personally always nickname every Pokemon I use on my teams in the main-game, and thus there’s far too many to list. But my far my favorite original nickname every is Gooey Louie the Goodra.

The name not only rhymes and sounds rather whimsical, fitting to Goodra’s personality, but you get the, well, goo part of Goodra in its name, and Louie is based off the mythical creature that Goodra is based off of, the Lou Carcolh. It’s by far the nickname I’m most proud of.

I do a different name scheme every playthrough. From Hamlet is Tepig kicking off Shakespherian Black to Yen the Metalynx in my currency focused run of Pokemon Uranium.

The names for my pokemon vary. Sometimes it's part of the pokemons name such as Gia the Lugia and Charmy the Charizard, other times it's based off type such as Fira the Talonflame or Inite the Inferape or Flora the Lilligant or just random names like Taro the Toracat or Dexter the Primaria.

Though the most out there nicknames I have given a pokemon I use on my team either has to be Loney Snek the Arbok(guess what the nature is) and Edgy Child the Minior. The Edgy part of the nickname comes from the fact wild Miniors know self-destruct. When I was trying to catch one multiple Miniors before Egdy child blew themselves up and it's pretty edgy for an enemy to blow it's self up in a powerful attack to try to take down the foe. The child part comes from the fact that in my moon game I had a naming scheme for the Miniors I caught where all their names was (word) child. I carried this over to my ultra moon game when I was naming Edgy Child so that's how I ended up naming a Minior Edgy Child. Also I took a photo of Edgy Child holding some swords and wearing sunglasses on his forehead at the Alolan photo club that really cements the nickname quite nicely.

The names for my pokemon vary. Sometimes it's part of the pokemons name such as Gia the Lugia and Charmy the Charizard, other times it's based off type such as Fira the Talonflame or Inite the Inferape or Flora the Lilligant or just random names like Taro the Toracat or Dexter the Primaria.

Though the most out there nicknames I have given a pokemon I use on my team either has to be Loney Snek the Arbok(guess what the nature is) and Edgy Child the Minior. The Edgy part of the nickname comes from the fact wild Miniors know self-destruct. When I was trying to catch one multiple Miniors before Egdy child blew themselves up and it's pretty edgy for an enemy to blow it's self up in a powerful attack to try to take down the foe. The child part comes from the fact that in my moon game I had a naming scheme for the Miniors I caught where all their names was (word) child. I carried this over to my ultra moon game when I was naming Edgy Child so that's how I ended up naming a Minior Edgy Child. Also I took a photo of Edgy Child holding some swords and wearing sunglasses on his forehead at the Alolan photo club that really cements the nickname quite nicely.
Lol

Some of my uncreative nicknames throughout the years:

Cattery - Luxray
Go!Go!Go! - Mamoswine
Somethins' - Gyarados (from Magikarp)
Firefightr - Infernape
Clown Around - Primarina
Sealed - Another Primarina
Kickbugxer - Pheremosa
44 49 4S - Genesect
Ya Bug - Golisopod
Philipa - Galvantula
Creamator - Magmortar
BurnBugyBurn - Volcorona
Staggering - Pinsir
Ground Horse - Mudsdale
Eggcellent - Togekiss
Mad Hatter - Froslass (from Snorunt)
That's Right - Persian (from Meowth)
Jet Man - Garchomp
That'sAShock - Jolteon
Mole Em Down - Excadrill
Mole Pain - Another Excadrill
Mie?AStar?!? - Starmie
BurntChicken - Blaziken
Contrarian - Malamar
Kermit - Seismitoad
Chairizard/meleon/mander - Charizard (Charmeleon/Charmander)
Frog Man - Greninja
Wwwwhhhhyyyy - Latias
In The Ball - Nebby
Get A Life - Xerneas
Chromeza - Necromza
Geico - Sceptile (from Treecko)
Liek? - Swampert (from Mudkip)
Zappy - Electabuzz

And so on. If I remember more, I can post them here.

Personally, I nickname my Pokemon with a human name that starts with the same first letter. Such as:

Bianca the Blissey
Theodore the Tapu Koko
Maurice the Milotic
Gary the Garchomp
Valerie the Venusaur
Harold the Hawlucha
Every once in a while I'll name my Pokemon after people names, too. Gary was my Garbodor mainly cause I was unoriginal. Kevin was my Silvally's name because I thought it was very humorous to put an ordinary name on such a uniquely strange-looking Pokemon. Lurantis is named Vivian caused of the word "vivid." I thought it was cool...

My Glalie is also named Mo, I dunno if that counts as a human name or if it has to be "Moe." The story was that, as a kid, I caught Snorunt, and noticed that it was the "Snow Cap Pokemon." So I decided to name it "Cappity-something." After typing in "Cappity " I realized I only had two spaces left. I went with Mo. In OR/AS when I used Glalie seriously I changed it to plain old Mo. One of my nicknames with a little story there.

Some of my uncreative nicknames throughout the years:

Cattery - Luxray
Go!Go!Go! - Mamoswine
Somethins' - Gyarados (from Magikarp)
Firefightr - Infernape
Clown Around - Primarina
Sealed - Another Primarina
Kickbugxer - Pheremosa
44 49 4S - Genesect
Ya Bug - Golisopod
Philipa - Galvantula
Creamator - Magmortar
BurnBugyBurn - Volcorona
Staggering - Pinsir
Ground Horse - Mudsdale
Eggcellent - Togekiss
Mad Hatter - Froslass (from Snorunt)
That's Right - Persian (from Meowth)
Jet Man - Garchomp
That'sAShock - Jolteon
Mole Em Down - Excadrill
Mole Pain - Another Excadrill
Mie?AStar?!? - Starmie
BurntChicken - Blaziken
Contrarian - Malamar
Kermit - Seismitoad
Chairizard/meleon/mander - Charizard (Charmeleon/Charmander)
Frog Man - Greninja
Wwwwhhhhyyyy - Latias
In The Ball - Nebby
Get A Life - Xerneas
Chromeza - Necromza
Geico - Sceptile (from Treecko)
Liek? - Swampert (from Mudkip)
Zappy - Electabuzz

And so on. If I remember more, I can post them here.
I gotta say the one that sticks out to me is Ya Bug, cause that's actually what I named my Golisopod, too.

Honestly, I give my Pokémon absolutely horrible nicknames.... I picked the worst of the worst I have.

Steevee the eevee
Assblaster the arcanine
Foxy Loxy the ninetales
Vape God the Vaporeon
Thundercunt the Manectric
Honk the archeops
Hellbo the houndoom
Hanky, Spanky, and wanky (Dragonites
Edgie Reggie (absol)
Wingding (Skarmory)
Lady Wolfia (Lycanroc
SWING SWONG (another archeops

I only used nicknames for Pokemon during 1 Pokemon Pearl playthrough. I named them after fellow Pogo auth and some trivia people. I ultimately ended up deleting the save file

E: jesus christ HONK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)