NU Stats - August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i have never seen onix although i have tried a gimmicky restalk, dragon tail, roar and combined with its alright speed and hazards can shuffle there team around surprisingly well (this was a couple of stages ago).

The biggest problem with gothrita is that it is inevitable that your going to get critted, everytime one has tried to set up on my umbreon (lol), or my roselia or lickilicky (only had body slam), it has been critted to death and because you're staying in for so long it will happen, there in a 6.125% (1/16) chance to get critted, it is bound to happen, other wise it would be a great set up sweeper

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That may be true, but you can also say that of pretty much every setup sweeper under the sun: CM Mush, BU Gurdurr, etc all are vulnerable to being critted as well, and that doesn't make them any less dangerous. Gothorita is vulnerable to being critted, but it can set up on and remove walls, and they can't even do anything back to you (some walls can't even kill when they crit), so nope, Gothorita is still a great set up sweeper.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
everytime one has tried to set up on my umbreon (lol)
Um, except Umbreon is in UU, and Gothorita is in NU, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here. There's loads of things it can come in and set up on (such as Alomomola for example) which can't do anything in return and can just be set up on. But I agree, everything can be critted and it's just a matter of luck. (Unfortunate luck, at that).

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Um, except Umbreon is in UU, and Gothorita is in NU, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here. There's loads of things it can come in and set up on (such as Alomomola for example) which can't do anything in return and can just be set up on. But I agree, everything can be critted and it's just a matter of luck. (Unfortunate luck, at that).
I was talking about it in uu and it would have swept me if i didnt get a crit.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's still irrelevant to how good it is in NU. If you're discussing how good something is in NU and how often it gets crits on it, then at least use only NU examples. There's enough things in NU that you can choose from that can easily crit it. This is especially important in the stats thread, because if you're mentioning NU examples at least we can see their usage and see whether that makes the point more or less relevant.

Anyway it's cool to see that it has higher usage in the 1850 stats than in the normal stats, which goes to show that it can actually do something (although I do think that Research Group might've contributed to that given that last month it was around where it is now in the current standard usage stats and has suddenly jumped like 40 spots).

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
August brought some interresting usage stats to the table, which is cool. So ill start off with Skuntank, it's ranked 4th in 1850 stats (which is the stats that i'm going to talk about) and i'm not surprised at all, just how versatile Skuntank is handling 7 pokemon out off 9 in the top ten (not adding other Skuntanks in) is incredible. Skuntank can either hit fast and frail pokemon with STAB Sucker Punch, Pursuit the ever dangerous Jynx and everything else is mainly Taunt + Toxic bait, and not only that Skuntank has the amazing ability to remove Toxic Spikes maby one of the best moves in NU atm, but also is immune to the great Psychic types in the tier which makes Skuntank a great top five pokemon. Next up is some stats that kinda surprised me which is mainly Sawk and Kangaskhan. Sawk is in 1850 stats ranked first which does come as an surpise for me, don't understand me wrond Sawk is indeed an amazing wallbreaker, but with the majority off ghost and psychic types in this tier I really don't feel it reaches up anymore, and when also Scolipede dropped down to NU which can setup on Sawk locked to cc, which is the move Sawk really wants to spam, you really just have to be carefull whe spamming cs's which quite annoying, and all of this is imo a good enough reason for not quite beeing that top threath. When it comes to Kangaskhan i'm really surprised it's not even in the top ten, with it's amazing priority moves and Scrappy it's an amazing threath to offensive pokemon, and it's not only that, but Kangaskhan got decent speed and decent defenses as well a some lacking in attacking which I really think Double Edge makes up for anyway, it should be at least top ten material as it's easely handles offensive threaths and wears down the opposing team with Fake Out, while also having EQ for almost perfect if not perfect coverage in this tier.

NotBlameTruth is a Youtuber who used Custap Onix and a Gorebyss on Showdown (they both worked too...), just a theory to their rise in usage.

Just encountered a team with Custap Onix and Gorebyss which was quickly dismantled. Onix is entirely one dimensional as a lead, it's going taunt you if you are an Stealth Rock lead and set up its own rocks when you aren't. In my opinion your much better going with Golem or even Gigilath.

Gorebyss is certainly a legitimate threat and I'm finding that teams don't seem to have something on them with the expressed purpose of defeating Gorebyss ( remember all the scarfed electrics) but unless it runs sub it's easily revenged by a myriad of scarfers and when it does run sub it loses coverage probably its hidden power.

It's a tougher time for Gorebyss than in the early stages (with the likes of Ludicolo now in the tier) but is still a good choice but finds it hard to compete for the water-typed spot on many teams.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mightyena at least has a good ability and priority. Anyway I'm not too worried about a rise in subpar Pokemon in usage stats. All it does is make it easier for good players to take advantage of bad teams on the ladder.

btw: Max Jolly Onix is still outsped and OHKO'd by CB Adamant Sawk, which is the premier anti-SR lead (I prefer Seismitoad for general use but it can't break Sturdy like Sawk can).

Mightyena was something I tried out when Absol rose to RU, definitely not terrible but it is sub-par. Between Sucker Punch and Moxie it can take advantage of weakened teams but without that boost under its belt it has to rely on taking out weakened opponents. Your also stuck with terrible coverage moves like Fire Fang making it difficult to actually kill anything notable without weakening it significantly with your other pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)