NU - What's Their Last? - Round 7 (Submission Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry for being late etc etc, but congrats to PursuitOfHappiny for winning this weekl! and the actual lost mon was braviary so no 1 gets an award lol,,

team graciously provided by Kiyo

Cinccino @ Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- U-turn

Lanturn @ Normalium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 140 Def / 208 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Bell
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Toxic

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

same rules apply and quick reminder that i am acceptibg teams so please submit :))

Last edited:

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- U-turn
- Encore

This team is quite weak to Scarf Hitmonlee so Whimsicott should deal with that. Team also needs another Ground-, and Dark-type answer. Whimsicott deals with Dragon and bulky Water-types, something Typhlosion greatly appreciates.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Drapion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

I think that Drapion could be the last Pokemon. The team seems equipped to deal with Drapion's checks and counters, such as physical walls Steelix and Rhydon, and even opposing Drapion, and also Sneasel. Drapion is able to clean teams up with Knock Off once the opponent is softened heavily by wallbreakers Typhlosion and Cinccino. Meanwhile, Drapion can help to trap and kill Slowbro and Slowking (and even Meloetta) which gives Typholosion spamming problems. Also, the team glaringly is missing a Choice Scarf / revenge killer, which is very unusual for an offensive team. Without a Choice Scarf user, the team could be swept by opposing Choice Scarf wallbreakers like Meloetta, Braviary, or Medicham easily; a counter revenge killer on the team is a surefire way to stop them.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge / Zen Headbutt

Half of this team is weak to Ground-type attacks, a type of move Virizion resists and can switch in on. Additionally, Virizion resists the Dark-type moves that this team has no switch in to. This Pokemon covers most every weakness this team has, and still keeps up offensive pressure. Virizion deals with the bulky Water-types Typhlosion doesn't like, and can act as a revenge killer or setup sweeper.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp / Trick

I think that scarf mowtom is a great pick for the last slot. The team is pretty ground weak and sort of needs a little bit more speed so I think it’d fit in pretty well, while being able to revenge kill mons that would bother the team. Very standard choiced set with WoW to lure Fighting mons that may be annoying, but Trick also works.

Sceptile @ Choice Specs
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Kiyo has a lot of momentum generation on his team that can give Sceptile opportunities to get inside and click leaf storm and Sceptile is really good

Hitmonlee @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Blaze Kick
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
This is a set i made up a while ago. I noticed the team is good but has no real way to beat scarfers if xatu and lanturn die. Using clise combat rids u of your white herb, doubling ur speed while having decent attack with adamant max attack. The movepool is very changeable and is really up to personal preference besides white herb and cc.with these evs he outspeeds the entire NU meta aside from scarf accelgor (which if it were a set cant touch him) or scarf electrode, which is eqyally ridiculous.

I am on phone rn, so no sprite, but as it looks the team is built around specs typhlosion, and to support that i think, another "back up remover" might be cute. The team would also appreciate a late game cleaner.

Hitmonlee @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Though it might as well be some unburden set.

I am on phone rn, so no sprite, but as it looks the team is built around specs typhlosion, and to support that i think, another "back up remover" might be cute. The team would also appreciate a late game cleaner.

Hitmonlee @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Though it might as well be some unburden set.
somebody literally right above you nominated hitmonlee, but i'll let it slide this one time considering the sets are quite different

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Due to Eruption, it is important to keep Typhlosion at full health for as long as possible. One of the most glaring problems to this would be stealth rocks, which the team currently has no counters for. As a support flying type has already been selected, it is likely that a rapid spinner would be chosen for the last spot. For the sake of competition, I have chosen hitmonchan as opposed to hitmonlee due to its increased defensive stats and boosted power from Iron Fist. Tho this pokemon does not enjoy having its item knocked off it still provides the team with a specially defensive alternative that can help expand Typhlosions longevity.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Lurantis @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lurantis provides useful utility to this team for a few reasons. By providing Defog support, it is able to alleviate pressure that is put onto Golbat to keep SR off of the field for Typhlosion, which loses a large amount of effectiveness with them up due to Fire Blast's power rivaling that of Eruption after a single round of SR damage, and it also helps massively with the Rhydon matchup, which is important given that, at least on paper, the team the team has a really hard time doing anything about Rhydon if it gets in against Normal-locked Cinccino, Fire-locked Typh, Xatu, or weakened Steelix. Being able to beat or at least heavily pressure most relevant SR users is a huge boon that it has over Golbat, and given that Qwilfish just loses to it and both Qwil and non-Poisonium Garbodor struggle to get Spikes up versus Xatu I do not feel that it is overly important to be able to take them on with the team's choice of Defogger (granted Qwil can't do fuck all to it). Oh also it provides a switch-in to Sceptile which doesn't involve letting Xatu get weakened, which is always a nice boon (this is why I have HP Ice btw).

The big downside of this is that, if TSpikes somehow gets up through Xatu, Lurantis is in a bit of a bind because there are no Poison-types to fall back on to remove them for it. That said though, it doesn't feel like a massively pressing concern for this team just because of the fact that getting them up is still far from easy anyway between the immense pressure that the team puts on Garbodor between Xatu, Lix, and Typh anyway and given that it can 50:50 its way into clearing TSpikes before being forced out if it switches into Qwilfish in the event that Xatu dies somehow thanks to Contrary Storm discouraging the use of Taunt.

If you want to know what the EVs do just read the analysis thread in C&C lol
My reason for thinking that it is Lurantis comes down to a few things. The Z-move slot being taken up by Z-Heal Bell is an indicator that it probably isn't occupied by Virizion, which generally speaking doesn't tend to run non-Z sets off of Veil squads. The team's inability to consistently switch into Rhydon tells me that it is unlikely to be something as frail as Sceptile, and as such this narrows it down to four potential candidates for me in Lurantis, Whimsicott, Scarf Mesprit, and Rotom-C.

While Scarf Rotom-C being taken is a big part of why I didn't choose it (this is definitely very possible due to Typhlosion massively appreciating pivots (and due to how Scarf Rotom-C patches up this team's lack of speed control to an extent)), I feel that, because the aim is to keep Typhlosion as healthy as possible throughout the match, Xatu on its own simply isn't adequate hazard control for a team like this given that it loses to Piloswine, loses to Rhydon, and can be put under a large amount of pressure by more offensively-invested Heavy Slam variants of Steelix. While Scarf Mesprit can patch this up to an extent with a fast HWish, I feel that it is more likely that some kind of hazard removal is present here so that Typh isn't restricted to Fire Blast if SR gets up through Xatu.

Lurantis is more appropriate than Golbat in the role because it actually beats the common SR setters (Rhydon, Steelix, Piloswine has to play a game with Leaf Storm vs Defog when switching in), whereas Garbodor is going to have a very hard time getting hazards up against Xatu outside of shit like Poisonium Gunk Shot, meaning that being able to clear it ('cause Golbat doesn't Defog vs the latter anyway) isn't as important. It is more appropriate than Hitmonlee IMO because, with it as the choice of secondary hazard control, Rhydon can come out in front of any of Xatu, STAB-locked Cinccino, or STAB-locked Typh and click one of its STABs without any drawbacks.

congrats to Martin for winning this week! the correct mon was actually Mawile so unfortunately no 1 gets it lol,

team graciously provided by qsns thank you so much for submitting :))
Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 236 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Slowbro @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Toxic
- Slack Off

Virizion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Braviary @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Last edited:

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb

I believe Garbodor is the last member of this team. Garbodor acts as a secondary Fighting-type check beyond Slowbro, which can have issues with Machamp and Virizion. Additionally, Garbodor is very solid Spikes and Toxic Spikes support for the team.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Incineroar @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- Earthquake

team is obliterated by Ice types, has 0 defensive checks to houndoom and special fire types, its annoyed by vileplume and considering slowbro isnt calm mind, other calm mind users beat the team. Went with choice band bcz team also lacks a wallbreaker, and it still gets to more than soft check those threats. Not much else to stay, incineroar is probably the best mon to cover up those. id also suggest golbat over braviary for poison types

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
the correct mon was actually Typhlosion so unfortunately no 1 gets it lol,
upload_2017-7-30_21-3-35.png
upload_2017-7-30_21-4-15.png

Emboar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch

Emboar is a nice soft check for Houndoom and co. and soft checks Ice-types with its typing, mainly being useful for Scarf Vanilluxe considering that the others all get RK'd by Virizion reasonably consistently anyway. Nice wallbreaker for a relatively low-firepower squad, baiting out Slowbro and Garbodor with Wild Charge and the promise of self-impalement, respectively, so that Scarf Melo and Virizion can clean up later. Not being SR weak is rlly nice when ur Defogger has no way of threatening Steelix or Rhydon too, although it does naturally wear itself down for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)