Oh You! Gen 4 RMT

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
OH YOU

ShootinStarmie's RMT

Introduction.

Okay, so this is my first RMT and in fact my first post on Smogon. I've been testing this team for a while and it seems to be one of the best teams I've made.The team is mainly offensively orientated but still bulky enough to switch without much fear. The basic idea behind the team is to scout for my main sweeper's counters and deal with them appropriately whilst not letting anything set up. For instance, if a Dragonite comes in on my Infernape (a common switch-in) early on in the game I usually scout for it and then switch in the appropriate check.

With this team I'm almost always holding momentum. Being able to have the advantage of the switch and being able to handle most threats that haven't set up (and some that have) is something that I like being able to do. When I play Pokemon in any style (whether it be Heavy Stall, Hyper Offense, and everything in between) I don't like predicting. To look at it another way, if you need to predict every move then you don't have the advantage. You are just guessing.

In my opinion, this team is pretty good but I know it can be better, which is why I am turning to the Smogon Community for suggestions and contructive critasism.I've noticed this team has had problems with Bulky Sweepers and mainly water types, but I'll talk more about that later. Right, enough of the intro, lets take a look at the Team Building Process!

Team Building Process

Breloom

So I wanted to make a team around Breloom. Don't ask me why I just thought it was a great Pokemon to use. Being able to temporarily shut down a counter with Spore and being able to fire off STAB Focus Punches is a great asset to any team. Its also acts as a status absorber, once Poison Heal has been activated. It has unique typing, giving it handy resistance to common Rock and Dark type attacks. Overall a great Pokemon. Some hate it, Some love it.

Tyranitar

I then realized that Breloom pairs extremely well with Choice-Scarf Tyranitar.Being able to check and counter most of Brelooms counters, such as Zapdos and Gengar. Sand Stream also works great in conjunction with Poison Heal, as Breloom heals 6% every turn, every Pokemon not holding Leftovers, or is immune to sand, takes 6% damage every turn. Tyranitar was then added to the team and my main core of the team was born.

Starmie

I then saw that Infernape could rip this core to shreds so I needed to add a Pokemon that counters Infernape very well while maintaining offense momentum. Starmie fits this role perfectly, resisting both of its STABs and out-speeding it for the KO with Surf/Hydro Pump. It gets lovely Bolt-Beam coverage, which hits a lot of the Metagame for super effective damage. It also has Rapid Spin support which is always nice for any team. Starmie was added to the team!

Metagross

I read up a while ago about Team Lead Synergy and remembered that Starmie and Metagross have great synergy in the lead spot together, being able to take on most of the leads together. I needed a lead and I needed Stealth Rock so I thought "Why the hell not". Metagross also acts as a great Pokemon to go to if I'm in a difficult situation in which I don't know what to do because its a great mid-game tank. Metagross was added to the mix.

Infernape

I then added a Choice-Banded Infernape to the team for two main reasons. The first reason is because it makes a lovely Fire-Water-Grass combo for my team and allows them to have great synergy with one another. Although Infernape is quite frail, it can switch into a resisted attack, like Scizor's Bullet Punch or Roserade's Grass Knot. The second reason why I choose Infernape for my team is because everyone expects Infernape to be a Sweeper or a Wall Breaker, which makes it an amazing lure and scout. For instance, Gyrados checks Infernape fairly well, so I lure it out early game and deal with it appropriately and then Infernape can start to sweep with Choice-Banded STABed Close Combats. Infernape is a great asset to this team and so it was added.

Rotom

So far I thought this team was turning out to look really nice but I noticed a major weakness. Steel types absolutely tear me apart. Sure Infernape can scare them off but it cant keep coming in on Steel types attacks like Metagross' Meteor Mash or Scizor's Bullet Punch. Its just too frail. Rotom basically walls every Steel-type Pokemon in the game. It also resists or is immune to most of the attacks that steel types carry, such as Heatrans Earth power and Metagross' Explosion. Rotom also helps me out a lot against bulky water types, which this team has a bit of trouble with. Even though not very important, Rotom also acts as a spin blocker, but I prefer to kill the spinner before it even spins (depending on the spinner). And there you have it, the team! Lets take a closer look.

A Closer Look

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Metagross is a great lead. With solid 80/130/90 defenses and stellar typing granting it only two weaknesses, it usually gets up SR against most leads. I choose Earthquake over Meteor Mash mainly because of coverage and the fact that I don't see myself firing off Meteor Mash's in lead position because it doesn't hit much in lead position for great coverage. I mean most leads that are frail enough to die from one Meteor Mash carry a Focus Sash (like Roserade and Aerodactyl) so there's no point because they always survive, and the leads which are bulky enough to take Meteor Mash from Metagross usually resist it (like Swampert, Brongzong, and opposing Metagross).

The EVs are to maximize Attack to hit like a truck, whilst maintaining maximum bulk to take neutral hits fairly well. I choose Lum berry over Leftovers/Occa berry mainly to always get SR against Lead Roserade and the fact that I'm not going to be staying in on a lead Heatran just to get SR.When I lead off with Metagross my goal is to get SR up. After SR has been set up Metagross acts as a mid game tank. I hardly ever Explode on something in early game, mainly because ghost types can ruin your fun and its such a great tool to use on a threat to your team (after you have scouted of course).

If I'm up against Aerodactyl, I Bullet Punch them on the first turn, whilst they Taunt me or use SR, and on the second turn Bullet Punch kills it.If I'm facing Azelf, who can also Taunt me, I again Bullet Punch whilst they Taunt me or use SR, and then go to Tyranitar to trap and kill them. Against bulky leads like Swampert and opposing Metagross I go to Rotom as they try to EQ Metagross or set up SR. I then usually sub to see what they do. Metagross usually switches to a Poke immune to Will-O-Wisp and Swampert either stays in and uses an attack or uses SR (if they haven't already set up SR). Depending on the switch in or if Swampert stays in I Will O Wisp or Thunderbolt.

Metagross gives me offensive momentum in the form of Explosion. Being able to make a huge dent in anything that isn't a Ghost type allows me to take out a potentially threaten Poke, but I do lose Metagross in the process (obviously). Most of Metagross' counters I can easily deal with. Rotom spells doom for this Gross-Lead set, and Gengar can start to set up on it. Tyranitar easily deals with both of these threats, but I have to be careful incase I receive a Will 0 Wisp from Rotom.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt

Starmie offers me support in the form of Rapid Spin. Rapid spin is quite crucial because my team is based around scouting, which requires a lot of switching, so I don't want my Pokemon to die before they even do anything.The EVs are standard and are used to maximize SpAtk and Speed to out speed notable foe's such as Gengar and Infernape. Bolt-Beam coverage is essential on most Starmie sets because of the coverage it provides. I choose Hydro Pump over Surf mainly because of the power output and the fact that it guarantees the OHKO on offensive Rotom and 2HKO on defensive Rotom (after SR damage).

Being able to defeat Rotom is absolutely necessary because it stops Starmie from spinning. If Starmie cant beat Rotom, Tyranitar easily can. I know that Rotom isn't going to Will O Wisp Starmie because of Natural Cure and the fact that its a Special Attacker so Tyranitar can come in without being scared of a burn. Tyranitar is also a great switch it because it can absorb the Scarf/Specs its tries to trick and then it has to switch out so I can definitely trap it.

Starmie has great lead synergy along with Metagross, being able to counter most leads and spin away the hazards that may have been set up. Starmie also attracts Pursuit users, such as Scizor and Tyranitar, who are usually choiced. Although I do lose Starmie in the process it does give me an opportunity for Breloom/Infernape to come in and wreak havoc. If its early on in the game I usually go to Infernape to scout with U-turn, if its late game, I go to Breloom to start setting up and sweep.

Even though I love Starmie I am thinking of changing it, or at least changing the item. Factoring in SR and spikes damage, LO recoil, and sandstorm recoil, Starmie doesn't last long at all. I'm thinking of running a more defensive set with Recover, but still have enough speed to out speed notable threats, such as Genger and Infernape.This would help me a lot against Stall teams.Tell me what you guys think.

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP/252 Atk/244 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Focus Punch
- Spore
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

Breloom is my main sweeper for the team and is the Poke which the whole team is based around. It forms a solid core along with Tyranitar, which I mentioned in the team building process. 252 Attack EVs are used to achieve maximum damage output on this set, and 12 HP EVs allow Poison Heal to heal the maximum amount of HP per turn. The rest of the EVs are placed in Speed so that Breloom outpaces defensive variants of Suicune and Rotom-A. I choose Adamant over Jolly mainly because when you're behind a sub, where Breloom generally is, you don't care much for speed.Also, Breloom doesn't have great speed, but has good enough speed to out speed some walls, which it comes in on, Spores, sets up a sub, and starts destroying the opposing team.

The move-set is the standard Sub - Focus Punch set. I picked Stone Edge over Seed Bomb for a few reasons. One of the main reasons I used Stone Edge over Seed Bomb is because Swampert never stays in on Breloom.Also, having a Grass STAB isn't great in the OU Metagame, mainly because it doesn't hit much for super effective or even neutral damage. Stone Edge allows me to hit the incoming flying types and Ghost types for more damage then Seed Bomb would. I must admit though, the low PP and accuracy is off putting. Tell me whether you guys think I should use Seed Bomb or not.

Breloom is mainly walled by Flying types and Ghost types. This makes Tyranitar such a good partner to Breloom as it is able to beat most Flying and Ghost types, such as Gengar and Zapdos. Sand Stream also works great in conjunction with Poison Heal, as I mentioned before in the team building process.Also if Rotom comes in to wall Breloom, I'm almost certain that it is going to use Shadow Ball. It isn't going to Will O Wisp me because of Poison Heal, it isn't going to trick me because of Toxic Orb, and it isn't going to Thunderbolt me because Shadow Ball does more damage, so there's no reason it wouldn't. If the Rotom is Rotom-H form I don't care much for the Overheat, mainly because Tyranitar can take it like a champ and it makes Rotom want to switch more because of the -2 SpAtk drop.

I usually bring Breloom in late game when its counters are gone or at least weak enough to KO with Breloom. I usually bring it in when one of my pokes has been revenge killed and the opponent is locked into a resisted attack so I can Spore the Pokemon, which is going to switch in, or if they decide to stay in I Spore the Pokemon which is locked into the resisted attack. It can also come in on almost any wall that isn't a Rest-Talker and start to cause havoc, because it doesn't fear status.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SpDef
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

I would say that Tyranitar is the glue to this team. It counters all the threats which my team has trouble with, mainly ghost and flying types. Once these threats have been eliminated, which Tyranitar does an amazing job in doing, My team has a field day. The best thing about Choice Scarf Ttar is that it out speeds foes with base 115. This includes an amazing selection of Pokemon which are Pursuit weak, such as Gengar, Starmie and Azlef. These are all notable threats which I need to out speed.

The EVs are used to maximize Atk and Speed. I choose Jolly because with Adamant you can't out speed base 115s, which is crucial for Scarf Ttar to do. The move-set is the standard Scarf Ttar set. I choose EQ over Super Power mainly because I don't want to be locked into a move that lowers my Defense and Attack, and Superpower is mainly for Blissey, who I'm not at all worried about (because of Breloom/Infernape). When I use Earthquake I also get the infamous Stone-Quake coverage, which is always nice.

Rotom pairs up great with Tyranitar because its immune to Tyranitar's x4 Fighting weakness and its also immune to the x2 weak Ground type attacks aimed at Tyranitar. Rotom can also come in on most Steel types, which Tyranitar hates to face, such as Scizor and Jirachi, and proceed to burn them. Rotom is also a good check to Water types which Tyranitar doesn't like, such as Vapoureon and Suicune.

I send in Tyranitar when ever I lure out a counter to my Fighting types (usually Ghost and Flying types), deal with them, and then proceed to sweep with one of my Fighting types. I usually send it out against lead Azelf because I'm not afraid of anything Lead Azelf can do and that gives me a free KO. Tyranitar also provides sand support (obviously) and gives Tyranitar a massive Spdef stat (I believe base 170? Don't quote me on that). With base 110/100/100 defenses backed up by Sand stream, it can come in on most Special Attackers, which tend to be Psychic, and Ghost types, which are weak to Pursuit.

Infernape (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SpDef
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Choice Banded Infernape is a beast. With a base 104 Atk and base 108 Speed its a great sweeper, but what makes Choice Banded Infernape so good is that everyone expects it to be a sweeper or a wall breaker, which makes it an amazing lure and scout. It does act as a sweeper once its counters have been eliminated and it can freely fire off STAB Banded Close Combats. The EVs are standard to maximize Atk and Speed. I choose Jolly over Adamant because the Choice Band gives me a nice boost in the Attack stat already. Also its not designed to be a powerhouse monster, its designed to be a scout, where as if I kill the opposing Poke that means they get the advantage of a switch in.

I choose Mach Punch over Stone Edge mainly because if you use Stone Edge then you are predicting a Flying type to switch in. I don't like predicting, so there's no point for me to use it. Also Mach Punch is obviously a nice form of priority to stop me from being swept by Lucario and Empoleon and just helps me out against things like Scarf Flygon. I also choose Fire Punch over Flare Blitz mainly because I only use Fire Punch on things that are x4 weak to it, such as Forretress and Scizor, and I don't like the recoil as well as factoring in sand recoil. Fire Punch is usually enough to kill Forretress and obviously enough to kill Scizor.

I think U-Turn is such a great move in Infernape's disposal, mainly because as I mentioned, everyone expects it to be a Wall breaker/Sweeper. U-turn lures out Infernape's counters, such as Gyrados and Dragonite, and then I deal with them appropriately. Depending on which Poke is available I usually send out Starmie against these threats for the KO with the x4 super effective attack (with Bolt-Bean coverage). If Starmie is too low on health I can switch in either Tyranitar for the Stone Edge, or Rotom for the Will O Wisp.

The good thing about me using Infernape and Breloom is that they only think Infernape is my sweeper. So if Infernape is defeated, that means that Brelooms counters (because they share most of the same counters) are weak enough for Breloom to sweep. Infernape plays a very important role to this team and is my main scout as well as a good revenge killer if Tyranitar is down.

Rotom-h @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Hp/252 Spd/4 SpDef
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom is a very versatile Poke. Being both offensive and defensive at the same time because of its great typing and ability. This Rotom plays a more defensive role for the team, taking on Steel types which my team hate. This Rotom also does fairly well against most Tyranitar, mainly because of Substitute. I usually sub if i have the type advantage and then proceed to Thunderbolt or Will O Wisp, depending on the poke switched in. Pain Spilt is there to keep me nice and healthy and also give Blissey a horrible time against me.

The EVs are used to maximize speed whilst maintaining as much bulk as possible. I choose Timid nature over Modest because the only attack that benefits from Modest is Tbolt, where as all of my other attacks benefit from Timid much more. I believe I don't miss out on any significant KOs with Tbolt so I think Timid is the superior nature. I choose Thunderbolt over Shadow ball because water types are quite a bit of trouble for me, and the fact that most Ground types pokes are physical, so if they do come in for a free switch in, i can just burn them anyway.

I send in Rotom on basically any Steel type. Since most Steel types are physical attackers Will O Wisp is a great move to use. It also softens the blow of Scizor and Tyranitar's Pursuit and cripples them in general. Rotom is also my best counter to Breloom (after I have sent in the least valuable poke to absorb the sleep, which is usually Metagross after SR has been set up) as it is immune to Focus Punch and resists Seed Bomb I can just start setting up in its face.

Rotoms unique typing gives it many opportunities to switch in and cause havoc. Tyranitar pairs up pretty well with Rotom as it can trap the Ghost types, which scare Rotom and can also provide it as a mini-lure for Rotom to freely switch in as it is immune to Ground type and Fighting type attacks. Rotom provides Spin-blocking support, which can come in handy too.

Well, there is my team. Feel free to comment and suggest improvements to my team, as they are all welcome. Thanks for reading guys! Peace.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Threat List

Aerodactyl - Lead Metagross can easily take a hit and 2HKOs it. Rotom is my next choice to go to, as it is immune to Earthquake and is bulky enough to take a Stone Edge from it and then fire off a Tbolt which has a chance to KO.

Azelf - I usually Bullet Punch on the first turn (because its usually lead) and then switch to Tyranitar to trap it. If its not in lead position Tyranitar is still a good check.

Blissey - Once Breloom has its Toxic Orb activated it isn't scared of any status and can start setting up. Infernape scares it away and Rotom can stall around with it because of Pain-Spilt

Breloom - I let my least most valuable team mate (usually Metagross after SR has been set up) and then go to Rotom to wall it all day. Infernape can lure the Focus Punch, U-turn out, break the sub, and then Rotom doesn't even have to break the sub.

Bronzong - Quite annoying and very study wall. I guess it can be used as set up bait for Breloom and Rotom resists Gyro Ball and is immune to EQ and Explosion. Infernape can take a nice chunk out of it with Banded Fire Punch.

Celebi - Tyranitar traps it with Pursuit. Ape can either U-turn it or Fire Punch it.

Dragonite - Rotom can Will O Wisp it, and Starmie can Ice-beam it. I try not to let it set up, but if it does then its hard to take down. I usually wait until it locks itself into Outrage and then go to Metagross for the Explosion.

Dusknoir - Not too common these days, but if one does show up Tyranitar can deal with it pretty nicely. It can also be Breloom set-up bait.

Electivire - Tyranitar can come in on any attack not named Cross Chop and kill it with EQ. Infernape can revenge kill it with Close Combat, and Rotom can burn it. I'm usually not stupid enough to get it a Speed Boost but it happens.

Empoleon - Can be scary if it gets a chance to set up. Metagross can take a hit if it hasn't set up and fire off an EQ. Starmie and Rotom can put a nice dent into it with Tbolt and Scarf Tar can EQ it (if it doesn't Agility first). If it does set up, then my main revenge killer is Infernape with Mach Punch.

Flygon - Rotom walls it pretty well and is able to burn it. Metagross can come in once its locked into Outrage and KO it with Explosion (or at low enough health, Bullet Punch). Non-scarfed variants are out-sped and KOed by Starmie and Infernape.

Forretress - Starmie can spin away all the hazards it sets up and Infernape always KOs any set with Fire Punch. Rotom can Will O Wisp it and 2HKO Physically Defensive variants and Pain Spilt any damage taking. It can also be used as Breloom set up bait.

Gengar - I don't give Gengar many opportunities to switch in without it being badly hurt in the process. If it comes in unharmed (say as a revenge kill) then Tyranitar is my best bet. If it doesn't sub/predict Ttar to come in and use Focus Blast, then I'm usually okay, other then that Gengar can be quite annoying. Starmie does out speed and does massive damage with Hydro Pump so Starmie could act as a revenge killer I guess.

Gliscor - Starmie isn't afraid of most Gliscor so it usually comes in and scares it away with Ice-Beam. Other then that it can be quite problematic.

Gyarados - Gyrados is usually lured by Infernape and is then countered by Starmie. If it does get a chance to set it then it can be very scary, but it doesn't usually happen.

Heatran - Tyranitar checks it fairly well and can massive damage with EQ. Ape can revenge kill scarf variants with Mach Punch, and Starmie just counters Heatran in general.

Hippowdon - My best bet is Starmie. Spinning away hazards that may have been put up and Hydro Pump does pretty decent damage. For instance, max HP max SpDef Hippowdon have a big chance of being KOed. Rotom is my other switch in. Although it cant do much other then sub and burn it, Hippowdon cant do much to Rotom either, forcing it to switch out or use Roar.

Infernape - Starmie is my main counter for obvious reasons. If Starmie is down then Tyranitar is my best bet. If Tyranitar and Starmie are down, I go to my own Infernape and hope I win the speed tie with Mach Punch (that's if they have priority).

Jirachi - Tyranitar does really well on most sets. It walls the CM set, can absorb the Trick from the Lead set, and can EQ for massive damage, but Rotom is my first choice, since it resists the ever-annoying Iron Head and can proceed to burn it and fire off neutral Tbolt for decent damage.

Jolteon - Again, haven't seen too many of these guys. Tyranitar is my best switch in. Being able to take its special attacks like a beast. If Jolteon KOs one of my Pokes then Ape can come in for the revenge kill with Mach Punch too. Rotom doesn't fear much from Jolteon, but it cant do much back in the process.

Kingdra - My best bet is to send in Metagross as Kingdra DDs or Rain Dances, or even uses an attack (lucky Draco Meteor). Metagross can tank most of Kingdra's hits and is just too bulky to be KOed from +1 Kingdra. I then just try to Explode. Other then that Kingdra can be very very scary, mainly because its so versatile. If Metagross is down, my best bet is Rotom to burn it. If its Chesto Rest I at least get a STAB Thunderbolt onto it, then Infernape can come in an usually kill it from there with Mach Punch. Still, very scary if in the right hands.

Lucario - Rotom can burn it quite easily, as it out speeds Adament Lucario. If he out speeds and KOs my Rotom, Infernape or Tyranitar can revenge kill it. I usually go to Infernape, mainly because id rather be locked into Mach Punch, which attracts Ghost types for my Tyranitar to kill, other then Earthquake, which Gengar could come in and easily take out at least one of my Pokes.

Machamp - Scary as hell. My best bet (if its in Lead position) is to send in Rotom on the immune Dynamic Punch, Will-O-Wisp it, and then take around 75% - 90% damage. I then try and Thunderbolt as they switch in a Poke immune to Will-O-Wisp, which would be the smart play. If they stay in I go to Breloom and Spore it just to get read of the blasted thing, or at least temporarily.

Magnezone - Rotom doesn't take much from Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon, and is immune to HP ground/Explosion. The best thing Magnezone can do is HP fire, which isn't that scary at all. If Magnezone somehow KOs one of my Pokes, Infernape and Tyranitar can revenge kill it efficiently.

Mamoswine - Rotom can scare it off pretty nicely (fearing the Overheat/Will-O-Wisp) and then start to sub up. Tyranitar put a nice dent into it with Stone Edge, 2HKOing it. Infernape can also scare it off with any of its STABs. Starmie can Hydro Pump it to death with fearing priority Ice-shard atall.

Metagross - Rotom is such a good Metagross counter, especially Lead sets. Immune to Explosion and Earthquake, as well as resisting Meteor Mash/Bullet Punch. I usually sub on Metagross as they switch, if they don't switch the only thing that breaks my sub is Meteor Mash. I proceed to keep subbing until I'm at low enough health (I make sure I'm not low enough to me KOed my Bullet Punch) to Pain split or until they switch. If they still haven't switched my then I just burn them/Thunderbolt them until they die.

Ninjask - Ninjask is actually a pretty big problem for me. I usually go to Rotom as they Protect/sub/SD. I then proceed to sub as they again Protect/sub/SD. I then Thunderbolt, making sure they lose their sub (Ninjask itself or the Poke it Baton Passes to) so I can burn them next turn (because they aren't going to Baton Pass SDs to a SpAtker). I know this isn't the greatest strategie as they could send in a Poke which is immune to Will-O-Wisp/Thunderbolt, who are physical attackers.Rhyperior and Infernape come to mind. But its the only thing I can do.

Roserade - Metagross can usually live a HP fire and has Lum berry for Sleep Powder, so it always gets Rocks up against lead sets. Infernape can scare it off and Starmie can spin away its hazards. Not much else to say.

Rotom-C - Rotom-C would usually come in on my own Rotom, Starmie, or Metagross. If they switch it in on my Rotom I go to Tyranitar. Tyranitar can take just about anything (as is isn't going to Leaf Storm/Will-O-Wisp my Rotom) and proceed to trap it. It can also absorb the in coming Trick. If my opponent sends Rotom - C in on Starmie I again go to Tyranitar. It does take quite a bit from Leaf Storm, but it then forces it to switch, which makes it an easy kill. If they send it in on my Metagross, I usually go to Infernape as it again can absorb the Trick, and it resists Leaf Storm. It does take quite a bit from Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt though.

Rotom-F - Usually ran on hail teams. Tyranitar sets up sand and traps it. Infernape also scouts for incoming Heatran/ Tentecruel, who are usually ran on Hail teams to counter things like Ape, KO them with the appropriate Poke, and then Infernape can start to sweep.

Rotom-H - Tyranitar resists Overheat and Shadow Ball and doesn't take much from Thunderbolt either. If Tyraintar isn't is great shape I send in Infernape for the resistance on Overheat and proceed to gain back momentum by U-turning (as most Rotom - H sets running Overheat are choice in some way). If they kill Ape then Traintar can easily come in for the revenge kill.

Rotom-S Rotom is quite a solid choice here, resisting Air Slash and Thunderbolt. my Rotom is also the fastest non-scarfed Rotom there is, so at worst I lose the speed-tie. If everything goes wrong, I go to Tyranitar.

Rotom-W - Really quite annoying actually, mainly because of its coverage. Tyranitar can come in on the revenge kill and Breloom can set up of it if its locked into Hydro Pump, but tats about it.

Scizor - Rotom is a great counter. Resisting both STAB and being immune to Super Power/Brick Breaks really nice. Thunderbolt takes a nice chunk from its health and Will o Wisp renders Scizor useless. Infernape can come in for the revenge kill and Starmie doesn't take much from Bullet Punch (on the Sweeper set) so it can proceed to spam Hydro Pump.

Shaymin - Infernape can U-turn against it to give me momentum, as well as firing off Close Combats/Fire Punches if my opponent doesn't feel like switching. Breloom can come in on Leech Seed, but I have to be weary about HP Ice/Fire. Once I get Starmie in it can start to hit Shaymin with Ice-Beams.

Skarmory - Rotom can Thunderbolt to scare it off, as well as setting up a sub (I usually don't because they can just Roar/Whirlwind me away). I can also Will O Wisp for nice residual damage and the fact that Brave Bird wont scare me at all. Infernape can scare it off with Banded Fire Punches, and Starmie can Thunderbolt it, whilst spinning away the the hazards set up by Skarmory.

Smeargle - Usually in Lead position and it usually Spores so Metagross can get up SR, I then Bullet Punch to get extra damage on it before he Spores me again. I then switch the Infernape as he Subs. I proceed to Mach Punch as he Belly Drums, I then finish it off with Mach Punch. Its quite ironic isnt it? The Pokemon that knows every move in the game is quite predictable.

Snorlax - Breloom can start to set up on Snorlax and scare it off for obvious reasons. Infernape can also scare it off and U-turn to gain momentum. Rotom can Will-O-Wisp (even though it is Pursuit weak), and Pain Spilt to get lost of health back.

Starmie - Infernape lures it pretty well, as Starmie is a great counter to it, so it can hit it hard with U-turn. Tyranitar can then come in to trap it. If both Infernape and Tyranitar are down, the best thing I can do is speed tie with Starmie or let Metagross Explode on it.

Suicune - Quite a big threat to this team. Starmie/Rotom can Thunderbolt it for OKish damage, but nearly enough. Metagross can Explode on it and Infernape can revenge kill it with Close Combat once its weak enough. I usually wear it down with Starmie/Rotom and then kill it with Ape.

Swampert - Rotom is immune to EQ and can Will-O-Wisp it to cripple it. Starmie can spin away the SR it may have put up and Starmie can wear it down with Hydro Pump. Breloom can start setting up against it too.

Tentacruel - Rotom is my best choice as it blocks Rapid Spin and can fire off STAB Thunderbolts. Tyranitar can out speed and take a huge chunk of its health with EQ. Starmie can spin away Toxic Spikes and can proceed to Thunderbolt it. Metagross can tank a hit or two and proceed to EQ for great damage.

Togekiss - Rotom is my best switch in as it resists Air Slash and is immune to Aura Sphere, and it can hit Togekiss hard with Thunderbolt for super effective damage. Tyranitar can out speed and hit it hard with Stone Edge, but it does fear Aura Sphere after a NP. Starmie can either Thunderbolt it or Ice beam it, and since it out speeds Togekiss, it cant get flinched. It also doesn't care much for Twave because of Natural Cure.

Tyranitar - Brelooom counters it pretty well and can start to set up on it. Infernape can scare it off with Close Combat and can proceed to U turn for momentum. Metagross can scare it off with EQ and Meteor Mash (depending on whether they know i have it or not). Rotom can also burn Tyranitar, though I don't like my Rotom facing it.

Umbreon - Again, Breloom can start setting up on it, and Infernape scares it off with Close Combat and can U turn to gain momentum. If both Ape and Breloom are down, my best bet is to Explode with Metagross.

Vaporeon - Can be quite a lot of trouble actually. Breloom does out speed most variants and can proceed to set up on it, and Starmie/Rotom can Thunderbolt it. Metagross can Explode on it as well. Other then that, it can be a pain in the back side.

Weavile - Infernape's Mach Punch KOes and doesn't take much from Ice-Shard. Metagross can Bullet Punch it, and again doesn't take much from Ice Shard.

Zapdos - Quite annoying actually. Tyranitar can tank most of its hits and hit it with Stone Edge pretty hard. Rotom can come in pretty easily and Will-O-Wisp it and start to set up with subs and wither it down with Thunderbolt. Starmie can Ice Beam it, but does fear Thunderbolt.​

After a single Dragon Dance, Dragonite will flat out sweep your entire team, and it can set one up pretty easily against Tyranitar or Infernape locked on the wrong move. To mitigate this weakness, I would just bump up Starmie to the lead position and then swap Metagross for Bronzong. You should probably load up on lots of Defense EVs, and use Hidden Power Ice / Stealth Rock / Payback / Toxic, since you're not really that weak to Heatran and don't need Earthquake, whereas you could greatly benefit from hitting bulky Waters like Suicune or stuff like Zapdos with Toxic.

I don't like how you have nothing to break stall. You could use MixApe, but you really want all that power behind Mach Punch to ensure you're not destroyed by Lucario and Empoleon. What you could do though is use a Substitute + Charge Beam Rotom-H, since it really gives stall trouble since very few Blissey carry Ice Beam on stall teams. You can run Timid and 128 HP / 168 SpA / 212 Spe so you still beat Adamant Lucario, but with Substitute / Charge Beam / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fighting, you also have a much better chance at beating stall teams once you get a Sub up.

You're still crazy weak to things like Agility Empoleon, but the key is to keep Infernape alive for as long as possible until you know you won't need its Mach Punch to handle threats that will otherwise sweep you. Just be careful against shit like Weavile, since without Infernape, you'll be really really hard-pressed to beat it.

Hi ShootinStarmie, welcome to Smogon and nice team.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Tyranitar here. One of Breloom's biggest draws (besides Spore, of course), is his ability to come in and set up Substitute almost with imputiny. With Sand Stream up, Breloom still heals 6.25% every turn, but his longevity is greatly reduced, and he'll have trouble keeping a Sub up once he's used Spore. In order to boost the lifespan of your team's focus, I'd replace Tyranitar with a ScarfTran

Heatran@Choice Scarf
Naive Nature, 252SpA/4SpD/252Spe
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Explosion
Dragon Pulse/HP Electric

Heatran still tanks every single one of Breloom's hits and is a great revenge killer, but doesn't have Sand Stream to hamper the later's effectiveness. He gives you two fire types, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, since Heatran could be used to soften up Infernape's counters or vice versa. Fire Blast is your STAB move, while Earth Power is standard on every Heatran set. Explosion lets you remove a troublesome enemy pokemon such as Zapdos. Dragon Pulse is a solid scouting move, since no one would ever switch a Steel in on Heatran and every other type is hit for neutral damage. However, HP Electric has uses, most notably OHKOing Gyarados.

If you don't want two Fires I would still keep Heatran over 'Ape since none of your other pokemon appreciate Sand Stream. There are many pokemon who can go in the freed up team slot, but I'd recommend a Choice Band Flygon.

Flygon@Choice Band
U-Turn
Earthquake
Outrage
Stone Edge/Dragon Claw

Flygon maintains Infernape's raw power and ability to scout, but doesn't share redundant typing with Heatran and gives you two nice immunities. The secret to this set is to be bold; everyone expects the Choice Scarf set, so you can bluff and score some switches. Then, when the time is right, unleash your superpowered Outrage and sweep. U-Turn is for the aforementioned scouting, while Earthquake and Outrage are your STAB. Stone Edge is recommened for the extra coverage. However, Dragon Claw is an option if you want another Dragon move that won't lock you into it.

I wouldn't make that change unless having two Fire-types bugs you. I actually really like your Infernape set.

That's all I have. I hope that helped, and good luck!

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello! I don't see you quite often and don't remember battling you. Well your team is quite ok (rather similar with mine), it doesn't have legendaries nor hidden powers, just like me :) well LO DD gyara is probably going to sweep your team like a breeze since if rotom isn't at at least 70%, it's going to get KOed by +1 waterfall and if it survives, there's still the 30% flinch. Starmie has a high chance of getting OHKOed by +1 EQ. So you may want to use scarf rotom for gyara instead. It's nice that your team has 3 SD lucario counters but that isn't really needed. I don't quite get why you would rather have explosion instead of meteor mash. Metagross is your only steel, exploding too early means your team will be spammed with outrage easily. Meteor mash + EQ settles machamp for a 2HKO. Against machamp leads, NEVER switch to rotom. It has lum berry for WoW and if that misses, you just wasted rotom for nothing. Just 2HKO with meta. Your best LO starmie counter is scarf ttar which cant switch into hydro pump so starmie probably whacks your team hard unless your starmie wins the speed tie (ironic isn't it?). Your lead synergy is as good as it is, no need to change anything there. Your team lacks a phazer which most teams need... I think breloom and infernape on the same twam is pretty redundant. You just need one. Keep either of them to deal with skarmbliss and change the other for a phazer or a starmie counter. Specially defensive zapdos fits both since it wouldn't get OHKOed by ice beam I think. For breloom, you might want to try subseed for the never ending sub till it gets broken by things like double u-turn or celebi. I get why you prefer stone edge over seed bomb for the flying types but so far, all the swamperts i've met with my breloom I used last time all stayed in the absorb the spore though I always sub first turn. Don't know why but swamperts seems to like spamming ice beam on breloom so their breloom counter doesn't fall asleep. I don't recommend you to switch breloom directly into blissey since blissey will just keep breaking your sub and you cant punch it. Just use infernape agaisnt blissey. For metagross EV set, I have a better EV spread which counters other metagross leads while retaining its bulk. I will try to find the set to post here later. Like 2sly4u suggested, flygon can be used but if you want a phazer, use zapdos. If zapdos is used, use: discharge,roar,roost,uturn/heatwave. Zapdos handles brelooms without stoneedge without resorting to u-turn to rotom combo which I use too. Like iconic said, agility empoleon can sweep other than with infernape to counter. Scarf rotom happens to outspeed modest agility empoleon if you decide to replace infernape. While iconic suggested to use bronzong over metagross for DD nite, I think keeping metagross at high enough health is enough to check dnite since it won't get KOed that easily unless it has EQ. Bronzong may be good but hp ice isn't really going to dent dragonite much and neither does it help agaisnt most other leads. Will edit this post again next time.
Set:
Metagross@lum berry
Nature: Adamant
EVs 200HP 232Att 32Spe 44SpD
Moves: BulletPunch Earthquake MeteorMash StealthRock.
EVs allow it to outspeed other metagross while retaining its bulk. Also, it survives Azelf flamethrowers :)

Overall it's a nice team that doesn't really have major problems. A few small changes should be enough. I give 8/10. Want to battle some time? :)

Stall definitely is a problem, but I don't think SubCharge Rotom is the solution. ScarfTar / SpDef Tran are very common on those teams and even with HP Fighting, Rotom isn't going to beat them because of their insane special bulk. One thing you can try to fix this weakness without messing up your synergy is a mixed Tyranitar. It still traps Rotom-A but it torches Forretress as it tries to spike on your "choiced" Pursuit. It also Superpowers Blissey into oblivion, which means Starmie can then run wild. Lastly, you can even run Thunderbolt to surprise kill ResTalk Gyarados and let Infernape have a party [this also means you can drop Stone Edge on Breloom for either Seed Bomb or Leech Seed].

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt | Hasty | 168 Atk / 96 SpA / 244 Spe
Pursuit | Fire Blast | Superpower | Thunderbolt

With this change you're absolutely demolishing stall but you're still gonna struggle against offensive teams that carry SubSplit Gengar and / or DD Dragonite. With MixTar, Rotom's job of killing steel types becomes redundant, so I'd try using a Choice Band Scizor in his place. Sciz takes any of Gengar's hits, U-turns to break the substitute, and pivots to Starmie to threaten the KO. He can also switch in on any Dragonite attack except for Fire Punch and take him out with Bullet Punch. Sciz also synergizes extremely well with the rest of your team; MixTar eliminates most physical walls and counters Heatran, while Starmie spins away hazards that threaten Sciz's U-turning antics.

Just a few things to consider, nice team!

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I really appreciate the help guys, thanks very much. I'm going to try Brongzong over Metagross, mainly because it does the same job, and has better typing (because of Levitate), and can help me a lot against bulky sweepers and water types. I think that Mix Tar set is pretty awesome too. I'm also thinking about running a more defensive Starmie? Give me your thoughts on that.

Thanks guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)