OM Interviews (#16: In The Hills)

1. Rank only my railgun, sisters noise and level5

2. Rank the numerous arturias: arturia, alter, lily, Santa alter, lancer, lancer alter, archuria, mhx, mhxa. Not in terms of gameplay ofc... Feel free to add in non-fgo too if you want (i.e. capsule servant, saber lion, etc.)

More serious questions...

3. Thoughts on the success/failure of mono oms in mwp?

4. Other than stab, favorite mono om in mwp? Same or different from outside of mwp?

5. Thoughts on the balance of mono stab? Anything you think you'd change?

1. Rank only my railgun, sisters noise and level5

2. Rank the numerous arturias: arturia, alter, lily, Santa alter, lancer, lancer alter, archuria, mhx, mhxa. Not in terms of gameplay ofc... Feel free to add in non-fgo too if you want (i.e. capsule servant, saber lion, etc.)

More serious questions...

3. Thoughts on the success/failure of mono oms in mwp?

4. Other than stab, favorite mono om in mwp? Same or different from outside of mwp?

5. Thoughts on the balance of mono stab? Anything you think you'd change?
1. Sisters Noise>Only My Railgun>Level 5 Judgelight

2.Geeze, this is hard, uh... OG>Heroine X>Lily>Capsule>Salter>Santa>galactica>Lalter>Archuria>Lancer>Saber Lion. Still, as the bolded bit shows, your saber-fu is weak: MHXA is Arturia's rival, not arturia, despite the confusing title Sir Pendragon.

3. I think the main failure is that people can't be assed to / don't know how to try. In Stabmons, this means that they bring monotype teams with extra stab moves. AAA is slightly better since it's had some roomtour plays this generation, but there still seems to be quite a bit of that + teams composed of recycled AAA sets. I guess I've added to this somewhat, as rather than bring the variety of teams I've built with Tyke or Moosical I've stuck with normal and flying because they run over the shitty meme types like bug. That's not to say flying and normal arent some of the best types in the metagame, but there's more options I havent been showing.
I think the main sucess, at least for me, has been teambuilding. Whether its building and testing with Megazard in AAA or talking shop with tyke in Stabmons, that's been most of the fun for me thus far. The closest I've come to really capturing that fun in a game was against shiba, where I got to see some of tyke's fire first hand, but my exceedingly good matchup made that less of a nailbiter than it could be.

4. AAA. Ubers is fun, but like in Stabmons noone seems to be trying, or if they are they seem to be failing. Miyoka's teams are pretty good, but every other team I've seen seems to be filled with unaltered, suboptimal sets like Ice Beam Steelceus or water teams that can't actually even beat ground. LC has that similar problem with all the flying teams going around, although that one is better. AAA, though, I've been pretty involved with (and actually planned to play in in MWP before we realized I was our only stabmons player), and some of the games have been fun to watch.
Outside of MWP, probably 1v1 Monotype, although I guess that might be more of a 1v1 OM than a monotype one? Whatever.

5. In terms of balance, Aero definitally needs to go; its an extremely oppressive influence and makes several otherwise neat types like Fire completely unviable because of the lengths you need to go not to autolose, and pigeonholes even top tier types like normal into running a few specific mons and movesets to take it on. Mega Pidgeot is also honestly pretty dumb, but I think its at least relatively handleable and might not need to go. Also, fuck spore.
In terms of unbans, I don't know why boomburst was banned; it seems pretty healthy on everythign but maybe Mpidge / PZ, and that's low enough collateral that I think a pokemon ban is more deserved. I'd also like to remove the complex bans around "banned from stab moves" but that's more of a gripe with normal stabmons.

Have you ever looked at memes constantly for so long that you felt like any of the following things:
1. High
2. Laddering Sketchmons (when it was a ladder)
3. Resigning then unresigning
4. Continue looking at memes
5. Motivated to go back and work on your irl life but then do 4
6. Eat a tide pod
7. Show someone de way

okay the resigning/unresigning part is a joke, I hope you understand. Ly Chloe ❤

Do you think your life is meaningful right now?

If not, what will you do to make your life meaningful?

Are you annoyed when you answer the questions above?

Do you listen to music? If so, what kind of music you listen to?

What is the definition of P1101560?

What do you think about me asking these very same questions in all interviews?

How many months do you think an OMotM cooldown should be and why?

Have you ever looked at memes constantly for so long that you felt like any of the following things:
1. High
2. Laddering Sketchmons (when it was a ladder)
3. Resigning then unresigning
4. Continue looking at memes
5. Motivated to go back and work on your irl life but then do 4
6. Eat a tide pod
7. Show someone de way

okay the resigning/unresigning part is a joke, I hope you understand. Ly Chloe ❤
No, cant say I have.
Do you think your life is meaningful right now?

If not, what will you do to make your life meaningful?

Are you annoyed when you answer the questions above?

Do you listen to music? If so, what kind of music you listen to?

What is the definition of P1101560?

What do you think about me asking these very same questions in all interviews?

How many months do you think an OMotM cooldown should be and why?
yes.
N/A.
Not particularly.
Anime themes, a few online originals, some fan content, approaching nirvana, coldplay... It's an eclectic bunch.
It doesn't have a definition. It isn't a word.
4 months. That gives time for other oms, as its rare that there are more than 3 always-winners, but keeps the omotm popular for long periods of time / large portions of the time.

[21:12:34] %Chloe: did you finish answering interview questions
Yes

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Welcome back to OM interviews, the yearly event! This year we're back with everyone's second favourite AG room owner, Megazard!

#9 Megazard | I Am Zesty: really does not like memes

Hi Zard!
Hlelo.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am a college sophomore who likes having no life. I am into many different areas of Smogon (PUTL, AGL, OMs, BS, and team rating mostly) and am on PS and Discord a lot and do a lot of Nuzlockes. Aside from the ludicrous amount of time I dump into Pokemon, I like following the Smash 4 and Chess scenes (all about those un-sports). I'm really introverted and don't have much of an outside life which makes all of these fake hobbies a really good time sink. If you knew me, you would say "I'd like to have a beer with someone else".

How did you get into Pokémon? What about AG?
Pokemon was my very first video game! Specifically Emerald, I've still got that cartridge and my Gameboy Advance actually. Kept playing the games, eventually ran into the Nuzlocke forums, from there someone mentioned Showdown, and started on there. My history isn't exactly stellar, but you can just about map my progression of self awareness by my common username progression which goes Bippy (yes really) --> Megazard Z --> Megazard --> MZ. I was a bad user™. Now I am a self-aware bad user™. Anyway, AG was sort of something I got into right at the creation because every noob was trying it out but it seemed fun. Graduated from 6 keys to building teams in the groupchats and from there worked my way up into an indispensable position of "guy who has experience in any real tier that isn't ubers"/

What's your favourite way to play AG at the moment? (Which playstyle? Which Pokémon?)
I like more balanced teams, I see them as the hardest to pull off but also the teams that give the best reward. It's not easy to make a team which checks all the stupidly large threats in the meta well enough, but teams which put out enough offensive pressure to stay scary and have enough defensive synergy to cover their bases really just end up working better than ones that go harder for one or the other. As for mons, lots of ray and arceus .-. I'm trying to win here people. I like to think I've used fairly varied stuff overall and my seasonal teams have been fairly different other than all the arceus formes as far as I can tell. AG isn't the most varied metagame by a long shot, but there's enough cool mons to mix it up with a Skarmory or a Lunala on most teams.

What other OMs do you enjoy?
I don't really like other OMs. Except Fail Cup. It's still great. Seriously though, I liked AAA/MNM/Sketch/mono back during the last OMGS but the metas are either not fun anymore or dead and have been replaced with something that isn't particularly fun either (camo whyyyyy). I'm only half joking when I say the best OM we've had for a while was Inheritance when it was all broken and had legal ubers. The best OMs are broken in a fun and varied way. AG does it, AAA comes closest right now (and mono but OM no more rip), but MNM has gotten a bit oversaturated and Camo/BH/Stabs are broken metas in ways that don't especially appeal to me. I've been quite consistent in repeating my opinion on not especially liking most OMs right now mostly because I do feel like some kind of shakeup would be much appreciated, but we'll see. Maybe Stabs will ban a lot more stuff and be worth trying again. And no, just because I won stabs open doesn't mean I play it.

If you could add any other metagame as a rotational ladder from any generation, what would it be?
Gen 6 AAA is a very quaintly broken meta. There's no Magearna to keep every special mon in check, no Dazzling setup sweepers, and Gale Wings is still broken, which means it's just a really busted and nutty meta, love it. Gen 6 mono was also a lot of fun. Honestly the most enjoyment I've had recently out of a non-AG OM has been with Monotype AAA in their team tour, WPL (s/o torkoals). Actually being able to build and innovate in a semi-stable environment was a feeling I haven't really gotten in most OMs recently. I'd also free sketch over stabs/camo due to liking it a hell of a lot more, but I respect the need for stabs to be the next thing (no respect for camo tho). I think that's it really? If I wanted to play stable, serious games I'd go back to more PU or LC but OMs should really lean into the wackiness and work on keeping out elements which force sameiness or are really outright busted imo, and Sketch has definitely been the closest to that in gen 7.

Do you think you'll win back to back OM Grand Slams? If not, who do you think will win?
No I won't win back to back OMGS's. Last OMGS I built for most metas because I liked them and wanted to do well. This one I didn't even expect to qualify for playoffs, but Betathunder, GL Volkner, and Quantum Tesseract passed me teams that were too good so what're you gonna do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. But seriously, someone more invested in these metas will probably take it. Would've certainly said Fardin before he's maybe quitting or taking a break so like, all the rest of the competitors save myself are fairly close now. Jrdn is favorite from experience but nobody else would be especially surprising except maybe ham if he fails to get passed/build (idk which he does) some better stuff than he was using in the opens. On a side note, I do think the players that don't despise BH have a noticeable automatic advantage because so many people successful at all the other OMs rightfully cannot stand that meta. Almost everyone dropped it last OMGS and this time it's a little more manageable but it's still a boon for competitors like Jeran so that's something to look out for.

Who are your good friends within the AG/OM community? Is there anyone you look up to?
I am mostly frens with Chloe, Quantum Tesseract, and Racool. Even on PS/Smogon I'm a relatively introverted dude so it becomes hard to know where one draws the friend line, but I've always kept to a relatively small group of people so yeah. I don't really look up to anybody anymore, I'm just not the kinda guy who creates role models or anything. I'm close to the top of the 2 metas I main, and ,while I might've looked up to the tournaments community when I started, getting Smogon-savvy has really just absolutely obliterated that feeling. The person I've probably looked up to the most is Galbia, but he ain't even OM related.

Can you provide a niche set that you have created and explain how/why it works?
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore / Magic Coat / Nuzzle / Whatever your heart desires
- Sticky Web
- Whirlwind
- Baton Pass

I've created other things recently, but no lie this has to be my favorite. It just goes really nicely with the whole leaning into jank mentality I have with OMs. Smeargle is a perfectly fine webs lead, but adding Moody BP to it can lead to plenty of dumb crap because you just so happen to get the right boosts and bam game over. If you get bad boosts, 99% of the time it won't hinder you at all because you'll set webs and die like normal.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-714992562 I don't think your slurpuff can do that

PurpleGatorade asks: If you could only be staff in one room, what would it be?
I'd be staff in the staff room and hang out in all my current rooms as a global Or, if that's cheating, probably AG just because it needs the manpower more than anywhere else. I'd still hang out in other places so this is really like "where do you need to have the ability to ban people most" and that's ez

Arushii asks: How old are you?
I am 19.

Catalystic asks: How real are fake tiers?
Fake tiers are less real than real tiers, but often much better.

Thimo asks: Do you miss me?
No.

Cheese asks: What is your favourite type of cheese?
I am lactose intolerant. Fwiw I also have a gluten intolerance. Being a college kid seriously allergic to pizza is a fun time.

TJ asks: Why haven't you added me on Nintendo Switch yet?
I did add you .-.

If you have any questions for Megazard, feel free to ask them below!!

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
do u just have gluten sensitivity or is it full on celiac disease? if it's the latter, welcome to the club

what is a suggestion u have for ppl with gluten allergies/sensitivities?

also, bippy is still a better name than gl volkner

Do you regret the fact that each day, each hour, each minute you are slowly inching your way up till your untimely death and demise

What is the most cancerous set that you have created, and can you demonstrate its cancerous effect

If you were forced to, would you actually try out Ubers

Opinion on a potential LC AAA Mix and Mega AG Monotype Stabmons metagame

Should AG free Missingno and all other ways to manipulate the game that aren't technically considered hacking

In what metagame do you think full on F.E.A.R is the most effective, and why

If the world was slowly going to erode into nothingness, would you prefer purple flavored bananas or an actually fulfilling life not filled with the hollowed husk that you call your own reality

If you were forced to seperate from the A.G room, which member would be the least qualified to take your position

Were you forced into a dark stuffy room, where secretly Chloe is forcing you to answer every single question alongisde every other person to answer the question but we are not told this because Chloe is the supreme dictator and we must bow down to it

Can you recite every single one of the original pokemon from Gen 1, but in Swahili translated through German on Google Translate

Am I a bad person for asking so many questions

If you are the best Ag player, then can you give me tips on how to instantly become the worst one

Opinion on a potential OM Mini Slam for all those little guys afraid of the big bad Grand Slam

Is there a limit to how many stupid questions I can ask, and why

If you were forced to ladder in your least favorite OM, how long would it take before you start questioning life

Are you secretly not a person but a fictional entity designed to fulfill the wants of the Ag playerbase without using a human because of how messy they are to make.

If this was the end of my questioning rant, would you be happy

Final Quesiton: Is Mega Rayquaza bae or not

How would you react if that wasn't the final question

Does answering all these questions make you a very bored individual

Actual Final Question: Am I a bad person

* Some veteran players in Ubers playerbase deem this generation to be influenced by matchups more than ever. Does the same go for Anything Goes?
* Does existence of multiple Arceus formes reduce the creativity of teambuilding or is it rather one of the defining components of Anything Goes?
* What is the worst cancer in Anything Goes? Gothitelle? Mega Rayquaza? Evasion? Matchups? Others?
* Thoughts on Ubers metagame (or trying out if you haven't already)?
* Do you think Anything Goes will need analysis, as the playerbase is quite big?

Lastly, just asking preference:

or
?
or
?
or
?
or
?

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
do u just have gluten sensitivity or is it full on celiac disease? if it's the latter, welcome to the club
Sensitivity, no club for me

what is a suggestion u have for ppl with gluten allergies/sensitivities?
Don't fall back on eating a lot of junk food, it's an easy out but shit for your body

also, bippy is still a better name than gl volkner
yes

Deep fried pigeon or purple gatorade? no seriously, the food or drink
Never had either and pigeon would be a better story so...

Would you consider yourself to be the greatest AG player to walk on Earth ?
No, I'm not quite that stupid

What are your thoughts on the absolutely esteemed and totally not cancerous community of AG regulars?
Look every community has a bunch of new people who make posts that aren't great. For that matter there's probably more of those people in a place like OU, they're just compensated for by the people making good posts. But good people don't post a ton in AG so you get a lot of newer, poor posts. It's also a product of being part of OMs. And really, it's fine. Everyone was new once, I started as Bippy, and ideally people get better. It only becomes an issue when the bad posters really draw attention to themselves (see: Durza's firebot thread trying to copy Mamp's) or when they're aggressively cancer (Fluffie's recent one in the CCAT).

what's yer favorite video game/ pokemon game?
Pokemon game is hard, I Nuzlocke a lot (almost always have one going one the side of whatever I'm playing and complete them decently fast) and replay gens 3-6 (xy not oras) a fair amount. They all have unique feels and noticeable flaws and I'm not sure I could call one my favorite. Maybe heart gold but only hacks that make it linear so the leveling things isn't a massive issue, like Sacred Gold.
Of course I was assuming you're talking main series, my favorite game ever is Explorers of Sky so yeah.
As for non-Pokemon video games, Smash 4 and/or Yoshi's Island (the gameboy one).

OM is dead, how do we resuscitate?
OMs ain't exactly dead, forum interest is just waning because not enough new and interesting is going on to spark much discussion atm. I think the direction OMs have been taking so far (tours like OMGS, spotlight metas w/OMotM and Leader's Choice) are perfectly reasonable so idk how u would spark more activity

I am the non-Italian PUTL, sorry.

the next 2 are kinda big and require lots of replies so splitting up the responses

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you regret the fact that each day, each hour, each minute you are slowly inching your way up till your untimely death and demise
I relish it

What is the most cancerous set that you have created, and can you demonstrate its cancerous effect
Probably the Smeargle set with the replay above if we're just talking AG. I've innovated enough, but not much that I'd call cancer.

If you were forced to, would you actually try out Ubers
I have been playing Ubers for longer than I've been playing AG, albeit less frequently. In fact, I am currently in round 8 of their seasonal.

Opinion on a potential LC AAA Mix and Mega AG Monotype Stabmons metagame
Wouldn't be funny.

Should AG free Missingno and all other ways to manipulate the game that aren't technically considered hacking
No.

In what metagame do you think full on F.E.A.R is the most effective, and why
Gonna have to be a tie for every meta excluding LC and related LC offshoots, I've never seen full F.E.A.R. be remotely decent but it's obviously worse in level 5 formats even before you get to Berry Juice.

If the world was slowly going to erode into nothingness, would you prefer purple flavored bananas or an actually fulfilling life not filled with the hollowed husk that you call your own reality
The latter.

If you were forced to seperate from the A.G room, which member would be the least qualified to take your position
This is interesting because least qualified is not the same as worst. Lance or someone in Lance's group would be the worst, but they'd still be more qualified than the random kid on ladder using 6 talonflame who joined the room to post a replay of them beating an Ash team.

Were you forced into a dark stuffy room, where secretly Chloe is forcing you to answer every single question alongisde every other person to answer the question but we are not told this because Chloe is the supreme dictator and we must bow down to it
No.

Can you recite every single one of the original pokemon from Gen 1, but in Swahili translated through German on Google Translate
Probably not, but I do not intend to try.

Am I a bad person for asking so many questions
No, that doesn't make you a bad person.

If you are the best Ag player, then can you give me tips on how to instantly become the worst one
I am not the best AG player.

Opinion on a potential OM Mini Slam for all those little guys afraid of the big bad Grand Slam
Bad idea.

Is there a limit to how many stupid questions I can ask, and why
Yes, the time it would take to ask the near-infinite stupid questions possible eclipse your lifespan.

If you were forced to ladder in your least favorite OM, how long would it take before you start questioning life
I'd be forced to do it, so I wouldn't question life. That's a reaction to when you make a bad decision, not when you're forced into one.

Are you secretly not a person but a fictional entity designed to fulfill the wants of the Ag playerbase without using a human because of how messy they are to make.
No.

If this was the end of my questioning rant, would you be happy
Yes.

Final Quesiton: Is Mega Rayquaza bae or not
No.

How would you react if that wasn't the final question
It isn't so the if makes no sense and the question isn't valid.

Does answering all these questions make you a very bored individual
No, I'm not doing it out of boredom

Actual Final Question: Am I a bad person
I don't know, because I don't know you. All I can infer is that you're not a good poster, you're relatively new, and you likely think this is funny despite it not being funny.

I'll get to DMDW after some more questions, this looks big

What was the most memorable battle you have ever had? (it can be any tier)
What sparked you to first start playing competitive mons?
What is your favorite tour?
If you could give any mon any one move what would it be?

what should replace camomons in the rotational? assume you cannot have something similar to an existing ladder (i.e. no sketchmons)

thoughts on 1v1 and its involvement (or lack thereof) in major om tours

are you going to volunteer to manage in the next ompl or do you still wanna play

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)