ORAS UU On the Contrary my Dear...

Very simple concept here. Create a team around Serperior, a very big threat now that Contrary is legal. So looking for some tips here on how to make this team better. It has tested fairy well so far, but can be better.

Serperior (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Dragon Pulse

What is probably one of Serperior's Bread and Butter sets now, this provides a great way to put on offensive pressure on the opponent. If anyone with Sticky Web sees this bad boy in the team preview, they had better think twice about laying them down.

Leaf Storm is obviously the most powerful move of the set, boosting Serperior's attack by 2 every time it is used, while Giga Drain provides another option on STAB while gaining back some HP. Hidden Power Rock is amazing on Serperior, as it helps deal with most, if not all of, Serperior's weaknesses. Dragon Pulse provides some ok neutral coverage, and can hit Dragons for Super-Effective damage. The EV spread plus a Timid Nature makes Serperior as fast as possible, as it already has decent Speed.

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Body Slam
- Crunch

Snorlax I find, provides some great protection for Serperior. With access to Thick Fat, it can absorb all the Fire and Ice type moves that are aimed at Serperior, and either set up while forcing a switch, or just get some damage off.

This is a Curse set, however, with the normal Rest, Curse, and Body Slam, I opted to run Crunch over Sleep Talk so I am not completely walled by Ghost Types. The EV Spread helps make Snorlax bulky on all sides, but a Careful Nature gives Snorlax just a little extra boost to its Special Defense.

Chandelure (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

When People see a Chandelure on the Team Preview, they automatically think of the Scarf set. I wanted to break the mold and not use that set. Instead, this is a bulky Specs set, that helps with not only Snorlax's one Fighting Weakness, but also aids in Serperior's weaknesses as well.

Fire Blast and Shadow Ball of some of the strongest STAB Chandelure has available, while Energy Ball provides a great way to get rid of Water types that switch into a predicted Fire Attack. Hidden Power Fighting allows Chandelure to hit threats like Houndoom and other Dark types.

Krookodile (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Pokemon that have access to Intimidate always make decent walls. Krookodile is an interesting Physical wall, able to set up Stealth Rocks while threatening out Psychic types such as Espeon, thanks to Knock Off. Earthquake is the secondary STAB that hits a decent amount of Pokemon. Toxic is for wearing down opposing walls. The EV Spread is to help Krookodile be as bulky as possible. Krookodile has enough natural attack to have some power to its attacks without any investment.

Tyrantrum (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Now....just...just pretend it's ability is Rock Head. >.> <.< ANYWAY, Tyrantrum is the Choice Scarfer of the team, smashing into flying types with incredibly powerful STAB Head Smash (Soon to be recoiless!). The most powerful STAB, it can also hit neutral targets incredibly hard. Outrage is secondary STAB, being very powerful, and since I'm locked into a move thanks to Scar, using it two or three times in a row isn't a big deal. Earthquake hits many other types and provides some coverage, while finally Crunch provides a decebt amount of coverage.

Blastoise (F) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

A great offensive Rapid Spinnner, Mega Blastoise has a wide variety of power moves thanks to its ability Mega Launcher. Water Pulse and Aura Sphere are the two Launcher boosted moves I've chosen for Blastoise. Water Pulse provides very powerful STAB with the chance to confuse, while Aura Sphere allows Blastoise to punch through Steel and Fighting types. Ice Beam, while not boosted by Mega Launcher, still provides some good coverage, hitting flying and ground types hard.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey buddy, cool looking team! With the Contrary hype, you definitely built something interesting. I wanted to address a couple things to improve the overall viability of your team.

As of right now, your team gets absolutely destroyed by Alakazam and Nasty Plot Lucario, leaving a Choice Scarf mon like Jirachi or Mienshao to quickly come in and sweet the rest of your team. Chandelure isn't as reliable as you might think for a fighting resist, as all Fighting-types carry Knock Off, and will cause you some prediction issues. In order to alleviate some of this stress, make the following changes as you see fit:

1. There's a better way to utilize Serperior, and that's by replacing either giga drain or hidden power rock with Glare; Glare will create prediction issues for your opponents team, including pokemon like Crobat and the aformentioned threats (Alakazam + ScarfRachi). Further, you may want to consider using hidden power fire instead, as it'll create more synergy, particularly against troublesome Steel-types like Forretress. Lastly, I prefer the item Meadow Plate as it lets Serprior survive longer, but that's a stylistic preference and is more of an optional non-important change
  2. Chandelure needs more speed, as the point of it is to outspeed all Bulky threats, including stuff like Nidoqueen. a 252 Spe Timid set is much more viable than 248 HP. Chandelure isn't going living past any hard-hitting super effective hit, so it really doesn't matter if it carries the HP on the Specs set.
  3. Some small changes for Blastoise: Blastoise should be 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe | Use Dark Pulse over Aura Sphere, and then make the decision of whether or not you want Aura Sphere over Ice Beam. Dragon Pulse is another option for that last slot. Use Scald or Hydro Pump over Water Pulse.
  4. I was never a big fan of Tyrantrum, and your team has a lot of problems with Fighting-types, so change this to an offensive Crobat. Crobat is easily one of the best mons in the tier right now and handles a lot of your teams weaknesses. It alleviates some of the pressure off of Serperior as well, providing you with two blistering fast Pokemon. I'd recommend going super offensive with the Crobat, running Sharp Beak w/ Brave Bird, U-turn, Taunt, Roost with 48 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 204 Spe; this set hits ~11% harder than Adamant Crobat, making it a serious threat for 2HKOs. Honchkrow gets OHKOed as well, as a fun note. Crobat's U-turn will also immensely help this team regain momentum should your opponent try to set up for a sweep, especially considering you have no U-turn pokemon, which is usually pretty standard in gen 6 meta.
That's it brother. The rest of the team looks good. You have some good options against Fire-spam in both Snorlax and Chandelure, so I'm not too worried about the Tyrantrum shift. Bulky waters won't be too much of a problem if you stick to a good ol' clean sweep with Serperior. Crobat's U-turn will also immensely help this team regain momentum should your opponent try to set up for a sweep. Pm me on Pokemon Showdown if you need anymore help. I can be found in the UU room as King UU.

All the best!

You might want Sleep Talk over Crunch on Snorlax because you already have Chandelure, Krookodile, and Crunch on Tyrantrum to hit ghost types so just try to clear them out before setting up with Snorlax.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Probably want to make Blastoise 232 HP/ 252 SpA/ 20 Spe to outspeed uninvested base 80's if you'd like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)