Opinion Research on Tiering, Looking Forward to XY

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Approved by Theorymon

Some of you may have seen the 1st Survey posted in OU and the lower tiers. I had originally wanted to post it here too, but Bojang is slow and stuff. Theorymon is stronger.

I have created another Survey, this time not just for interesting topics, but to collect data specifically geared towards tiering philosophy, and community sentiment about tiering in the initial phases of XY's OU.

I look forward to the results, and ask again for your time. This survey is longer than the last, so please set aside at least 20 minutes before starting.

Looking Forward to XY

After taking criticisms from respondents as well as my professional mentor in questionnaire design, I believe this second Survey should be more effective.

Thank you again for your participation.

--Chou

Oh my, that question about the various groups and their support, contributions, etc to the competitive Pokemon community was really tricky because I'm not familiar with most of them. Same for the various areas of the site, maybe I should try to spread out more.

"Have you followed Pokemon discussion on Smogon for more than six months?"
Well, I got really interested around five months ago...
>No

"Thank you for your time."

WELL ALL RIGHT THEN.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I feel like expanding on that initial banlist question a little bit. Given what little we know about the cover legendaries (and all that was officially disclosed about the Fairy type was its advantage over Dragon), there's not much to rely on but pure speculation to suggest what the best way to introduce the first gen 6 banlist, at least until the games get released. That being said, I wouldn't mind all too much if there would be an initial banlist once we have gathered the important competitive info from X and Y, but I'd definitely prefer starting with no Pokémon banned. My biggest worry is that the initial batch of Ubers would not ever be given a fair shot, so to speak. It has historically seemed much harder for a Pokémon or other competitive element to get tested for being too overwhelming, rather than giving previously banned Pokémon a fair suspect test, even after major metagame shifts. Like, would Blaziken really have been too much for an OU that just got Keldeo and better genies? Possibly. But how do we know for sure?

I'm not implying that gen 5 OU starting with the "obvious Ubers" banned was a bad thing in hindsight, but I'm all for being more thorough in our examination of why Ho-Oh, Lugia, Giratina, etc. would not be right for a metagame that values diversity and competitiveness. Kyurem-B showed us once-and-for-all that looks can be deceiving, and we may all yet be surprised at what an OU can accommodate. Heck, the Fairy type was even apparently tailor-made to put Dragons in their place, so there may be quite a few more Ubers dropouts this time around!

Not sure when else I'd say this, but I just wanted to put this out there as an aside:

I have pretty much stayed away from OU since roughly when Thunderus-I was voted Uber, but I tried to get into OU again for shits and giggles recently, and I have to say that OU in its current form is much more interesting competitively than I thought was possible this generation (i.e. with the Drizzle+SS combo ban as our rain solution). As much criticism as some of those ban-related decisions get, at least something must have gone right along the way.

Oh my, that question about the various groups and their support, contributions, etc to the competitive Pokemon community was really tricky because I'm not familiar with most of them. Same for the various areas of the site, maybe I should try to spread out more.
Yeah, this bugged me too. There should be an option for 'Don't know' or 'Don't use X area' for those type of questions.

This is a great survey. I understand why it has to be comprehensive. You have to answer the question you want answered. Good job!!! Are you going to publish results? If so, how long until we see them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)