Resource ORAS Creative / Underrated Sets V3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taken over from Vertex
Approved by celticpride

banner by starry blanket
Welcome to the third version of the Creative and Underrated movesets thread. This thread serves as a place to share sets that are different from their more common counterparts. While standard sets are standard for a reason, running a creative set can catch an opponent off guard, or may require a different method of dealing with it than its more common variants. A successful set is able to turn metagame trends to its advantage, granting its user an edge over a more common set in certain situations.

A good submission...
  • has a clear reason to be used over a standard set
  • is able to take advantage of common trends in the meta
  • can reliably perform its job
  • is not outclassed by another Pokemon or set
  • is not commonly seen
If you're debating posting something here and you see that it doesn't follow the above guidelines, it's probably a gimmick and doesn't belong here.

Rules
  1. Don't post gimmicks. Please.
  2. Explain what the set does and why you would want to use it. Doesn't need to be an essay, but you should, at the very least, cover the basics. Additional info like potential teammates and cores is also appreciated.
  3. Provide replays of the set in action.
    • Your opponent should be competent.
    • Replays have to be from 1600+ rank on the ladder.
    • Replays can be from any tour that is sponsored on the forums. i.e. no room tours.
    • No private matches can be used as a replay, unless you are facing an identifiable credible player.
    • The set doesn't need to carry the team, but it should at least demonstrate it works by accomplishing its goal.

Last edited:

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 176 Atk / 8 Def / 24 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Roost

Theoretically, this set isn't very good, but it's effective because of the amazing institution known as the Showdown ladder, home of players using their own creative teams and definitely not spamming the same copy/pasted stall teams, yes right ok.

You know the Seismitoad Shedinja team that's pretty common, right? This one?

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 20 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost

This infamous wonder trio team isn't even that great but most people you ask will have been annoyed playing it. You see it somewhat regularly at the top of the ladder and it's been used in tours. By using a slightly suboptimal version of the standard set, this Gliscor variant literally solos that entire team. You don't have to play that well. Unless your opponent gets quite a bit of hax, you send this in and 6-0 the entire team, and that's not just an expression; you literally sweep the entire team and don't have to switch out. You have to send it in on the Dugtrio or the Togekiss (or Shedinja if you're poisoned already). You can also send it in on the Talonflame if you know they're not going to Taunt. Anyway, once you send it in, SD once, and then you win. It's not 100% guaranteed that this Gliscor will always sweep because no guarantees in Pokemon, but as long as you don't misclick or your computer doesn't blow up this Gliscor will either win or do so much damage to the team that you should easily win from there.

A set with the same moves was posted here but I don't think the EVs are optimal.

244 HP EVs hits a Poison Heal number. 176 Attack EVs makes it so +2 EQ does 50.4% minimum to Sableye (you can't assume rocks will be up so it has to have this much attack). You can't not 2HKO the Sableye because it has Foul Play and Recover. EQ also 2HKOs the Seismitoad. 8 EVs in Defense allow you to live +2 Bisharp's Sucker, which doesn't matter that much but whatever, you still take less damage from the Sableye's Foul Play. 56 EVs hits 240 Speed so you outspeed max Modest Volcanion, etc. The rest is in Special Defense with a Careful nature so you take less damage from the Seismitoad's Scald. If you Roost, it Scalds, and after Poison Heal, you recover 5.7% - 14.8% per turn, barring crits.

The Sableye's Foul Play does 54-64% but you're able to heal up on the Seismitoad which will come in after. Make sure you're at enough HP after you take out the Sableye and Seismitoad so you don't get revenged by the Talonflame. Brave Bird does 25-30%. You heal enough vs the Seismitoad to where this is doable, even taking into account you getting crit. If they send in Seismitoad first you might have to set up to +6 to OHKO the Sableye because you die to Scald + Foul Play with 2 average rolls. You could pump most or all of the Speed EVs into Special Defense to avoid this but you lose utility vs most other teams. However, it's likely that they'll send out Sableye before Seismitoad (which is better for you) because standard stallbreaker Gliscor runs so much Special Defense that Scald does pitiful damage.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-366167563

I know this replay doesn't follow the rules of the thread but this set and how it functions is a special case. Again, all you have to do is send it in vs the Shedinja, Dugtrio, Togekiss, SD and win, so it doesn't really matter who's playing. This is Rampecker playing vs someone idk.

Last edited:
With Volcanion gaining in popuarity lately, i thought we could use Rotom-W as a decent check for him. But as i didn't wanted to use the full SpD version (because imo it's kind of a waste since Rotom-W is supposed to check physical attackers such as Bisharp), i tried a mixed def spread :

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Rest

With that spread and that nature, Rotom-W isn't 2HKOed by Steam Eruption after SR OR burn damage. You can also run 212 SpD in order to tank both SR AND burn damage and still not get 2HKOed.
Always stick with 30 Speed IVs, as they allow you to get outsped by other Rotom-W and Volt Switch right after them.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 248 HP / 60+ SpD Rotom-W: 120-141 (39.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 200 Def Rotom-W: 157-187 (51.8 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
(Doesn't have the 2HKO due to Knock Off damage drop after losing Lefties)
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 200 Def Rotom-W: 266-314 (87.7 - 103.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
32 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 248 HP / 200 Def Rotom-W: 130-154 (42.9 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 60+ SpD Rotom-W: 214-252 (70.6 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 60+ SpD Rotom-W: 224-265 (73.9 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Manectric Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 60+ SpD Rotom-W: 96-114 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 60+ SpD Rotom-W: 240-284 (79.2 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Gets OHKOed by LO/Miracle Seed variants)
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 200 Def Rotom-W: 153-183 (50.4 - 60.3%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Same as Bisharp : Doesn't get the 2HKO because of Knock Off damage drop after losing an item, bar a super high roll)

I already tested it yet, but i don't have any replays that really shows the usefulness of the set :/
Also i'm sorry if this isn't the good thread to post that.

With Volcanion gaining in popuarity lately, i thought we could use Rotom-W as a decent check for him. But as i didn't wanted to use the full SpD version (because imo it's kind of a waste since Rotom-W is supposed to check physical attackers such as Bisharp), i tried a mixed def spread :

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Rest

With that spread and that nature, Rotom-W isn't 2HKOed by Steam Eruption after SR OR burn damage. You can also run 212 SpD in order to tank both SR AND burn damage and still not get 2HKOed.
Always stick with 30 Speed IVs, as they allow you to get outsped by other Rotom-W and Volt Switch right after them.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 248 HP / 60+ SpD Rotom-W: 120-141 (39.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 200 Def Rotom-W: 157-187 (51.8 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
(Doesn't have the 2HKO due to Knock Off damage drop after losing Lefties)
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 200 Def Rotom-W: 266-314 (87.7 - 103.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
32 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 248 HP / 200 Def Rotom-W: 130-154 (42.9 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 60+ SpD Rotom-W: 214-252 (70.6 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 60+ SpD Rotom-W: 224-265 (73.9 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Manectric Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 60+ SpD Rotom-W: 96-114 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 60+ SpD Rotom-W: 240-284 (79.2 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Gets OHKOed by LO/Miracle Seed variants)
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 200 Def Rotom-W: 153-183 (50.4 - 60.3%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Same as Bisharp : Doesn't get the 2HKO because of Knock Off damage drop after losing an item, bar a super high roll)

I already tested it yet, but i don't have any replays that really shows the usefulness of the set :/
Also i'm sorry if this isn't the good thread to post that.
After playing around with the EVs, I think I've settled on a slightly better one, mainly for the sake of jump points. First off, that spread of yours is a touch inefficient, because of you go 248 HP / 98 Def / 164 SpD, you get the same Defense and SpDef stats of 300 and 291, respectively, and have 4 EVs to spare for either defensive stat. However, like I mentioned I played around with the EVs more to check for jump points while trying to stay above 291 SpD for your Volcanion calculations, and I found two. One spread is 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 SpD Bold. That one hits a Def jump point to reach 308, but sadly doesn't stay above the 291 SpD required for the Volcanion calcs. The other spread, and the one I'm advocating for, is 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD Calm. It hits a SpD jump point to reach 297 SpD, and has a still decent 295 Def. Compared to the former spread too, the damage it takes is a bit less. Below are some example calcs against an altered Latios:

Dragon Pulse (altered to 80 BP to tie with Psyshock for comparing)
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 140 SpD Rotom-W: 142-168 (46.8 - 55.4%)
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 80+ SpD Rotom-W: 136-161 (44.8 - 53.1%) Difference of 2%
Psyshock
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 120+ Def Rotom-W: 133-156 (43.8 - 51.4%)
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Rotom-W: 136-161 (44.8 - 53.1%) Difference of 1%
So with the spread of 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD Calm versus the other jump point spread, you take 1% more physical damage for 2% less special damage. And I dunno about you, but I've seen a lot of Thundurus about lately, so anything to make his Thunderbolts hurt less (which 48.8 - 57.7% on this spread, just for the record, which is less than your Hydro Pumps at 49.4 - 58.5%), the better.

#EVefficiency

Here's a set I was tinkering with, no replays as of yet, apologies. It's a Pursuit trapper trapper (I realise it doesn't trap Pursuit trappers, but it sounded more fun than "Pursuit trapper lure"):

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 104 Def / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Reflect Type
- Superpower
- U-turn / Stealth Rock

Essentially, with the tier rife with Pursuit trappers in order to trap Lati@s and other misc Psychic counters/checks to Volcanion and allow him to sweep/wall-break, this is the set I came up with. There's already the Reflect Type Starmie set (I don't think anyone really runs it on Latias), which is okay because of Starmie's high speed and recovery, but they don't really do anything to counter handle the opposing Dark mons other than hope for a Scald burn. This set not only outspeeds Banded TTar and Jolly Bisharp sets to check them, if you catch Weavile on the switch with Reflect Type you will check it also (and Scarf TTar if you really want to double down on Pursuit Trapper luring by running Chople Berry - but I don't think Scarf TTar is common enough to warrant that). Checking here is the desired goal, not to counter, as the idea is dark types will consider you to be the free switch. After that Pursuit trapper has been dealt with, Defog as you please, you earned it.

The EVs are to outspeed Jolly Bisharp, and to OHKO Banded TTar without Rocks with Superpower, then to give decent physical bulk for pivoting with U-Turn which combines well with the middling speed and Leftovers. Superpower is decent for hitting steel types in general, and everyone loves hassling stall and TWavers with Synchronize (catching a TWave later in the game in some ways helping you to pivot). Stealth Rock can be run in the last spot if you don't really care for U-turn, or just any standard utility move.

48+ Atk Mew Superpower vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 368-436 (100.5 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
48+ Atk Mew Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 396-468 (146.1 - 172.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
48+ Atk Mew Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile: 564-664 (200.7 - 236.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
48+ Atk Mew Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 190-224 (49.2 - 58%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (just showing the decent damage on a steel type)
0 Atk Landorus-T U-turn vs. 248 HP / 104 Def Mew: 31-37 (7.6 - 9.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever (defensive Lando after Reflect Type)
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (20 BP) vs. 248 HP / 104 Def Mew: 99-120 (24.5 - 29.7%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (Yes I did remember to change Mew's type, Mew is one lightweight MoFo)

The thing is with the other Pursuit trappers (mainly Scizor and Metagross) they don't really enjoy Volcanion so much in the first place (well maybe Gross doesn't mind him as he can outspeed and EQ, but his non-STAB Pursuit isn't what's hassling the tier so much right now). WoW can also be run in place of Superpower if you want a WoW user and are happy with just incapacitating Pusuit trappers as opposed to OHKOing (allowing you to invest slightly more in bulk), however I think OHKOing difficult offensive mons like Bisharp and Band TTar is more worthwhile.

Last edited:
Specs Tornt!!

Tornadus-Therian @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot (or something else like Heat Wave to use outside of rain but honestly you will almost never click this slot. HP ice might work. GK probs best overall for a risk free move vs ttar/hippo to win the 5-8 turn weather war)

Only use this on rain (because Specs is garbage outside of rain) and just kill stuff with Hurricane. Butchers anything that isn't named Chansey but you can just u-turn into something like sub or sd (por que no los dos?!) Mega Hera which is good on rain cos it checks Bish.

Initially used this on a joke team with CM Swift Swim Golduck but Specs Tornt actually ended up being legit (as did LO CM Hydro Psychic Focus Blast Golduck but that's for a different post perhaps).

LO/AV is probably better in like 90% of scenarios but this is a fun wallbreaker to run on rain because you rarely need to predict and it's noticeably stronger (see calcs below). Your opponent will carelessly send in their Torn-t 'counter' in the form of Clef or Mega Lati and it'll just get smoked. Not taking LO recoil is also kind of neat.

• 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 217-256 (55 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 169-199 (46.5 - 54.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 113-133 (37.2 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (aka switches in once and dies next time)
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Diancie: 110-130 (45.6 - 53.9%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 144-170 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 183-216 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 274-324 (65.7 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 286-337 (74.8 - 88.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 171-202 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 217-256 (60.4 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 330-390 (85.7 - 101.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 234-276 (68.6 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (if it's in range or just Focus Blast and ohko jajaja)
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 396-466 (94.2 - 110.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 108-127 (32.3 - 38%) -- 97.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (aka forced to roost)
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 157-185 (47 - 55.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Sorry for not saving replays. Ngl i probably won't edit this with replays if i ever do save them. Don't really care if this gets added to the OP or not but this is a fun set to play around with so just spreading the love.

Last edited:

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
so there are literally a million and one clef sets that could be run. it is at the point where any clef set can be considered standard but the most stable ones that are used in the tier are mainly twave cm, lo 3 attacks and maybe even rocks. however, i was eating some blueberries the other day and i saw someone using bellyjet azu when sitrus berry proc and that set me thinking: "hmm, perhaps i can use some berries on a competitive level too!"

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Counter
- Soft-Boiled

this is just the most basic standard common clefable set there is out there except this forgoes the aids that is yellow in color and takes on a more offensive tone for this mon. this takes out a lot of opposing steel types / physically oriented mons that either 1. assume that you will stay in and sack your clef or 2. just want to get damage off on clef. i initially used this on a team that really didn't like steel types but the steel types that clef didn't like are the ones that outspeed it (namely bish, drill, sciz etc.). yes you can say that flamethrower does the same thing and more when dealing with steel types but counter is much more interesting. the calcs i am going to give is just a display of the combination of babiri and counter or the use of counter on clef meaning they are mostly in a vaccuum. but i'll explain the scenarios that are likely to occur.

vs
Bisharp
252+ Atk Choice Band Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Babiri Berry Clefable: 220-259 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(220, 222, 225, 228, 229, 232, 235, 238, 240, 243, 246, 249, 250, 253, 256, 259)

this means that as long as clef has more than 70% health prior to 1v1ing sharp, it can kill with counter
vs
Excadrill
252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Babiri Berry Clefable: 232-274 (58.8 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(232, 235, 238, 241, 243, 246, 249, 252, 255, 258, 259, 262, 265, 268, 271, 274)

Again, once you're at any health greater than 70% this is a good to go
vs
Ferrothorn
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (97 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Babiri Berry Clefable: 105-124 (26.6 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
(105, 106, 108, 109, 109, 111, 112, 114, 115, 117, 117, 118, 120, 121, 123, 124)

this one is more interesting since for counter to take the kill you need Ferro to be below 60% since gyro will only do 105 at min which is about 59% of ferro's health when reflected by counter.
vs
Garchomp
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 172-204 (43.6 - 51.7%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO
(172, 174, 177, 178, 181, 183, 184, 187, 189, 190, 193, 195, 196, 199, 201, 204)

Moonblast at neutral doesn't guarantee the kill but counter could put in work too
vs
Lando-T
252+ Atk Earth Plate Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 246-289 (62.4 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(246, 247, 250, 253, 256, 259, 262, 265, 268, 271, 274, 277, 280, 283, 286, 289)

same thing with bisharp except lesser of an issue due to zero chance of flinching
vs
M-Sciz
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 254-300 (64.4 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(254, 258, 260, 264, 266, 270, 272, 276, 278, 282, 284, 288, 290, 294, 296, 300)

even without babiri berry this set can deal with msciz. although it's not as viable because it has close to zero fear for clef.

i could go and explain how to deal with majority of physical attackers of the tier with this set and ofc this set has a huge issue with the 130% thirty percent chance to flinch with iron head users as well as users that have a good chance to set up on it (etc, msciz don't fear the common twave due to access to bp , drill don't care about twave to begin with and both have access to SD) but i don't think there is the need to. it's an interesting set to use against physical attackers as majority of physical attackers have no surefire way of clearing clef in one shot, allowing for clef to remove them with that added element of surprise. here's a replay showing you counter clef being used against a decent player Master Sunny-EX. it's a set that takes people by surprise but also at times leaves you to react against your opponents play.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-378379926

e - disregard the bad play with serp towards the end. i was trying to show dominance until mother hax decided to discipline me

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing the point, just run a Focus Sash. Lot's of the steel types you've mentioned like to boost, so overall I think sash with Magic Guard is a much better idea with Counter - and not just for steel types but to a bunch of sets. Still, it's a very neat set.

Incidentally I think the Mew set I posted before, while perfectly functional, sucks butts. Here's what I have been running after some play-testing:

Mew @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 116 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Ice Beam

Outspeeds Tank Chomp and Defensive Lando-T and OHKOes with Ice Beam. Can take a Lando-T scarf U-turn into a TTar and then 2HKO. OHKOes Weavile and Bisharp easily, finds plenty of opportunities to Defog because of the bulk. Though Modest isn't great with Superpower, I still sound it preferable to running Rash and getting a large SpDef hit. Ice Beam is generally useful to hit stuff like Torn-T even with AV, and Taunt LO leads certainly don't like it.

Overall, I think my Reflect Type was over engineering things. Mew is bulky enough to take non-STAB U-turns anyway, and Colbur Berry easily gets dark types out of the way. I still think it's a preferable defogger to most that are easily trapped on the tier (particularly against TTar), which is something that is sorely needed on Zard X teams and the like. The problem is the set is a little passive for offence, but if all you're looking for is something that can definitively get rocks away it's pretty sweet. I'm coupling it with Skill Swap Azelf to set rocks in 90% of situations, using other team members to deal with stuff like Mega Diancie which can out-play Azelf.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Surf Mega Lati

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf

Forget who told me about this set originally but I'm pretty sure p2 preaches it so it might have been him. The point of Surf Mega Latias is primarily to break past Heatran which tends to annoy it to hell. Added bonus of hitting Excadrill super effectively, as well as Tyranitar and retaining coverage on stuff like Talonflame and Gliscor. Being able to use Dragon Pulse lets you actually beat mons like Kyurem-Black as well, which is nice. This variant is obviously walled by its own set of things things like Azumarill, Ferrothorn, Mega Altaria, and some other mons I'm not remembering right now.

Not the highest level match but here's a replay showcasing this variant of Mega Latias. In the end against Charizard X, he had a 50/50 whether to Mega or not, but didnt know I had Surf. I revealed Dragon Pulse against Garchomp so I think he assumed I wasn't Thunderbolt which meant he could stay regular form to tank the hit. Bolt Beam of course isn't going to beat a Zard X at the end so yeah shows off a little bit of what this set is capable of.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-378693385

EDIT: got another replay

In this one, Mega Lati plays a crucial role in whittling down the opposing Excadrill with Surf. He brought it in since it can tank common boltbeam coverage fairly well, but the damage from Surf was enough for Ferrothorn to spinblock after getting 1 Spike up and getting the hazards up prevented me from getting swept by Mega Lopunny. Granted I got lucky on that Volcanion para lol, but the idea remains the same

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-379335505

I lost the replay I had against Heatran but I think it's pretty obvious to see what happens:

+1 0 SpA Mega Latias Surf vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 248-292 (64.4 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 0 SpA Mega Latias Surf vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 190-224 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Mixed Attacking Landorus-Therian

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 Atk / 192 SpA / 184 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

This Landorus-T set is used too get pass his usual counters and checks that he couldn't really get pass before and while usually spamming powerful earthquakes, grass knot helps deal with water/grounds, non calm mind slowbro and hippowdon meanwhile hidden power ice is helpful to deal against garchomp, opposing landorus and gliscor.

The Atk evs on landorus is pretty much does the exact same damage as it's offensive set with soft sand and adamant while the speed evs are the same like its offensive set on it's analysis while the rest is invested in special attack, you will also be needing life orb so you can get more spa power for grass knot and hp ice and so you can match up the atk power as the same as adamant soft sand landorus

calcs showing grass knot use, hp ice use, adamant soft sand lando and life orb 132 atk naughty evs and showing that it can live special hits even with naughty as an nature and quick note that evs are not fully optimized yet.
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 218-257 (55.3 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 317-374 (75.4 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 530-624 (134.5 - 158.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-379228929

192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 322-380 (90.1 - 106.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 322-380 (77.2 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 338-400 (100.2 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 333-395 (87.1 - 103.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 333-395 (87.1 - 103.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 260-307 (73.8 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 354-421 (100.5 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

132+ Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 157-187 (44.6 - 53.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
132+ Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 246-290 (62.4 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 157-186 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 246-289 (62.4 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus-T: 234-276 (73.3 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus-T: 262-309 (82.1 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In this battle I had a landorus-t vs landorus-t match up lead and because I had hp ice I was able to take 94% of its health and finished it off with a stone edge and managed to get a nice decent 42% damage on the opposing rotom-wash and and because of this I was able to win match even though I had a bit of luck at the end of the match I doubt it would of mattered

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-379228929

This set does have problems like it misses stealth rock and u turn mobility, it will be missing the chance to 1HKO the rare gastrodon with grass knot, struggles against slowbro's with a calm mind set up and life orb recoil can be quite bad since its confirms that it won't carry its common items like scarf, rocky helmet and soft sand

For this landorus-t set I would recommend teammates that are fast and powerful revenge killers like excadrill and talonflame so you can deal with pokemon like lopunny and keldeo and I enjoy using a wall/stall breaker that can deal with skarmory, rotom-w and the odd bulky psychic like gengar, kyurem-b and mega heracross.

Warning I rarely post on these types of threads so I might make one or a few mistakes but other than that, I hope you enjoyed my set I posted.

Defensive SD Landorus-T:

landorus-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers / Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 12 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

I'd like to start by prefacing that this set was not my idea and I don't mean to take credit for it, but I feel that's it's criminally underrated given how good it is at compressing certain roles together. Standard defensive Lando with the U-turn, EQ, SR, Edge shpeal is near useless vs. bulky SD Scizor, misc. bulky waters with reliable recovery, and physically defensive 'mons in general. SD address all of these issues, allowing you to smack Scizor with +2 EQs, threaten out Slowbro (when it switches in) thanks to +2 EQ's ability to 2HKO non-mega, 252/232+ Slowbro after rocks, as well as a myriad of other neat things standard defensive sets can't. This Lando set can easily compensate in the loss of immediate momentum from the lack of U-turn with the amount of pressure it puts on things like Hippowdon, opposing Landorus, etc., opening up doors for something like a Pinsir or Lopunny in the back. Obviously it's not hitting as hard as offensive Landorus sets, but Lando's defensive utility can be invaluable at times; the bulk this set runs even helps by providing crucial turns that offensive spreads wouldn't get, like the ability to live Rotom-W's Hydro from full 100% of the time (something offensive adamant Landos can't do without sacrificing the crucial 263 speed benchmark).

This set works well with things that detest common physically bulky pivots and walls, but also appreciate offensive threats like Talonflame or Zard-X being checked. Pinsir is an example of a good teammate, as Lando can setup on the bulky grounds that Pinsir hates while throwing out +2 EQs and Knocks at their other shared checks. It also checks a huge roadblock to Pinsir sweeps in Talonflame.

Calcs:
+2 0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 204-240 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 199-235 (58 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 199-235 (56.5 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-379495746 (please ignore the first turn lol)

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 176 Atk / 8 Def / 24 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Roost

Theoretically, this set isn't very good, but it's effective because of the amazing institution known as the Showdown ladder, home of players using their own creative teams and definitely not spamming the same copy/pasted stall teams, yes right ok.

You know the Seismitoad Shedinja team that's pretty common, right? This one?

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 20 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost

This infamous wonder trio team isn't even that great but most people you ask will have been annoyed playing it. You see it somewhat regularly at the top of the ladder and it's been used in tours. By using a slightly suboptimal version of the standard set, this Gliscor variant literally solos that entire team. You don't have to play that well. Unless your opponent gets quite a bit of hax, you send this in and 6-0 the entire team, and that's not just an expression; you literally sweep the entire team and don't have to switch out. You have to send it in on the Dugtrio or the Togekiss (or Shedinja if you're poisoned already). You can also send it in on the Talonflame if you know they're not going to Taunt. Anyway, once you send it in, SD once, and then you win. It's not 100% guaranteed that this Gliscor will always sweep because no guarantees in Pokemon, but as long as you don't misclick or your computer doesn't blow up this Gliscor will either win or do so much damage to the team that you should easily win from there.

A set with the same moves was posted here but I don't think the EVs are optimal.

244 HP EVs hits a Poison Heal number. 176 Attack EVs makes it so +2 EQ does 50.4% minimum to Sableye (you can't assume rocks will be up so it has to have this much attack). You can't not 2HKO the Sableye because it has Foul Play and Recover. EQ also 2HKOs the Seismitoad. 8 EVs in Defense allow you to live +2 Bisharp's Sucker, which doesn't matter that much but whatever, you still take less damage from the Sableye's Foul Play. 56 EVs hits 240 Speed so you outspeed max Modest Volcanion, etc. The rest is in Special Defense with a Careful nature so you take less damage from the Seismitoad's Scald. If you Roost, it Scalds, and after Poison Heal, you recover 5.7% - 14.8% per turn, barring crits.

The Sableye's Foul Play does 54-64% but you're able to heal up on the Seismitoad which will come in after. Make sure you're at enough HP after you take out the Sableye and Seismitoad so you don't get revenged by the Talonflame. Brave Bird does 25-30%. You heal enough vs the Seismitoad to where this is doable, even taking into account you getting crit. If they send in Seismitoad first you might have to set up to +6 to OHKO the Sableye because you die to Scald + Foul Play with 2 average rolls. You could pump most or all of the Speed EVs into Special Defense to avoid this but you lose utility vs most other teams. However, it's likely that they'll send out Sableye before Seismitoad (which is better for you) because standard stallbreaker Gliscor runs so much Special Defense that Scald does pitiful damage.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-366167563

I know this replay doesn't follow the rules of the thread but this set and how it functions is a special case. Again, all you have to do is send it in vs the Shedinja, Dugtrio, Togekiss, SD and win, so it doesn't really matter who's playing. This is Rampecker playing vs someone idk.
I appreciate that you posted this a while back and I'm not sure how relevant Shedinja stall currently is, but I saw Sheddy still being discussed in the viability rankings so I'm going to assume this set is still a decent albeit niche option. However at the risk of sounding pedantic, you can better optimize the EVs: Adamant with a spread of 244 HP/ 80 Atk / 8 Def / 120 SpD / 56 Spe nets you the same stats as your spread with 5 extra special defense. Even if the stall team you mentioned is not currently relevant, this still seems like a nice spread for Gliscor if you despise Sableye, just replace rock slide with something less niche such as knock off.

Trick Room Mega Gardevoir

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a confession to make. I did not create this set. Rather, it was made by Jojobobo. However, this set works so beautifully that I have to advertise it. Mega Gardevoir is already a force to be reckoned with, given its massive special attack and its amazing ability Pixilate. However, its laughable physical bulk means that it can be easily revenged by anything faster that hits on the physical side or hard on the special side - a long list of Pokemon. Not so with Trick Room. With HP investment and generous special bulk, Gardevoir finds many opportunities to come in after a sack or even switch in, set up Trick Room, and just straight up start killing stuff. Would-be threats such as Scarf Landorus, Gengar, Terrakion, Scarf T-Tar, Excadrill, and others now all get OHKOed by Hyper Voice, Psyshock, or Focus Blast. Negative Speed investment means that Gardevoir can additionally out-slow many things that the opponent would not expect it to out-slow, such as Bisharp or Breloom, and then kill them with a Hyper Voice before they can Iron Head or Bullet Seed.

Honestly, this set turns Gardevoir from a wallbreaker into a sweeper, making it extremely hard, if not impossible, to revenge unless the opponent has certain mons (Ferrothorn, Scizor, Victini, etc.). The best part is that Gardevoir's wallbreaking powers are only compromised by a small amount. It still does well against stall. It loses Taunt, but it still obviously outspeeds mons such as Chansey, Amoongus, or Quagsire, and it doesn't even have to use Trick Room. Honestly, it's one of the best unorthodox sets I've ever used on a Pokemon. It's fun.

Pro Tip:
If Landorus has just killed one of your mons, switch in Gardevoir un-mega'd up. It will Trace Intimidate, and then you can set up Trick Room with ease.

Here's a replay that demonstrates this set well. My opponent was a bit unprepared for it, but then again, so is everyone else:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-385134908

Screech Dugtrio

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Stone Edge/Memento/Stealth Rock

So here I was, trying to build a team around Zard Y but still being bothered by my matchup against stall and how good Zard would be if it weren't for that pesky Chansey. This led to me trying to find something to lure out or reliably get rid of Chansey and this set what I came up with. Dugtrio already had some decent synergy with Zard Y thanks to its ability to trap M-Diancie as well as Heatran and Tyranitar, which can be annoying due to Focus Blast's accuracy and potentially forcing predictions by switching around. Chansey however still takes every hit from Dugtrio, including a 200 BP Reversal, which does 76% max and even less if it's running max HP and max Def.

But with Screech Dugtrio beats Chansey pretty reliably, one harsh Def drop is enough for Reversal to always OHKO at full BP (252 Atk Dugtrio Reversal (200 BP) vs. -2 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 842-992 (119.7 - 141.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and with the spread above Dugtrio has 201 HP, so after 2 Seismic Tosses you'll always get down to 1 HP. Screech unfortunately only has 85% accuracy but if you switch Dugtrio into anything other than a Seismic Toss or a random Toxic (which is rare on Chansey nowadays but I'd watch out/ scout for it regardless), you'll have 2 trys to hit it. Screech also prevents the Chansey user from avoiding to bring Duggy down to 1 HP and PP Stall instead because you can just keep lowering its Def and then kill with EQ.

Here's a replay of Duggy trapping Chansey turn 2 and removing it from the game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-385181099

Duggy obviously has its issues, like being very matchup-reliant, but when you pair this up with Zard Y you're gonna have fun against (at least most of) ladder stall :P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)