:aerodactyl: Aerodactyl
:xatu: Xatu
:Sharpedo-Mega: Sharpedo-Mega
:barbaracle: Barbaracle
:diggersby: Diggersby
:azelf: Azelf
:mamoswine: Mamoswine
:Heracross-Mega: Heracross-Mega
Id put Metagross, Keldeo Torn-t and Garchomp abit higher but otherwise i think these are the most accurate and realistic ones so far!

Vulpix03

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
RUPL Champion
Only set
I understand that Latios fell off in the current ORAS metagame, but why is it ranked 44th?
Scarf sets are outclassed by latias which has access to healing wish and is a better switch in to mons like glisc and keld.

Only real set that sets latios apart from latias is specs. But specs can struggle to make progress against certain structures and is oftentimes a one and done breaker at best (if the opp has a ttar or weavile).

Honestly it's just hard to justify using latios on your teams

Last edited:

Amir

Banned deucer.
I understand that Latios fell off in the current ORAS metagame, but why is it ranked 44th?
There has been a rise in Weavile usage, it's very easy to pursuit trap it, the old LO set that is, as for Scarf set it is outclassed by Latias as mentioned by Vulpix. and It doesn't really benefit from its stabs that much either due to the S iter mons like SpD Drill and Clefable,

Why is venusaur so high? I mean didnt it actually fell off? It gets worn down so quick by hazards rely on synthesis etc.. AND its higher than amoongus. A mon with regen spore and has a million longevity and crucially doesnt take mega slot. Isnt venu a bad mega when metagross and lopunny and diancie exists?

Also why is m-alt not A+? Isnt dd straight up wincon vs fat and special just a brutal set to switch into?
Also what on earth is m-garde doing at B? Its quite a mid mon compared to m-diancie or alt or medicham too. It just seems not good compared to competition.

Amir

Banned deucer.
Why is venusaur so high? I mean didnt it actually fell off? It gets worn down so quick by hazards rely on synthesis etc.. AND its higher than amoongus. A mon with regen spore and has a million longevity and crucially doesnt take mega slot. Isnt venu a bad mega when metagross and lopunny and diancie exists?

Also why is m-alt not A+? Isnt dd straight up wincon vs fat and special just a brutal set to switch into?
Also what on earth is m-garde doing at B? Its quite a mid mon compared to m-diancie or alt or medicham too. It just seems not good compared to competition.
Mega Venusaur is a great pokemon on Stall, but there are some unique things that make it stand out like having access to Knock Off, and in a stall MU, removing leftovers from a single pokemon can save you a lot of momentum and keep the opponent on their toes.
In addition, Mega Venusaur is far more bulkier and provides better offensive pressure due to stronger Sludge Bombs.
It's also not immediately scared out by Weavile either.

It is true, Mega Venusaur has fallen off a bit because surely there are just better megas out there.
But at the same time, Amoonguss hasn't really been that good lately. Sure it spores a single pokemon but then what? It doesn't pressure as much as you want it to.

Seasons

Sassy Sunshine
is a Forum Moderator
With the conclusion of SPL, the VR update a few months ago, as well as the ORAS representation in all sorts of unofficial tournaments, I wanted to review my VR from last year and update it. Here’s my new list, I’ll talk about some changes at the bottom.
IMG_0279.jpeg

The first major change is that I am no longer rating Tornadus as a pure S-Tier Pokemon. This sounds more drastic than it is, as it’s still comfortably top 5 in the tier, but the popularity spike of Zapdos and (to lesser extent) the Thundurus formes definitely hurts Tornadus to the point where I can’t confidently put it as number 1 where I had it ranked last year. I didn’t change Zapdos’ ranking as I had already rated it fairly high and the usage increase is clearly just a result of that :boi:.

I moved Serperior up a tier and dropped Diancie down a tier. Serperior still is one of the biggest threats in the metagame and it is not going to go anywhere. I don’t have a specific reasoning as to why it moves up aside from that it feels correct to put it there which wasn’t the case last year. I dropped Diancie a bit because I do feel that it has gotten slightly harder for it to be as massive of a threat as it was. Pokémon like Amoonguss Gastrodon and Chansey are all increasing in usage (and viability) and Diancie just kind of suffers as a result. A mega evolution like Alakazam is simply in a better spot in the current meta, benefiting from Tornadus sets changing in favor of Helmet > AV a lot of the time, as well as being able to deal with would-be checks via combinations of Calm Mind, Taunt, Encore or Recover.

A big one is Gallade moving all the way up to A tier. This is a Pokémon that I was personally quite sceptical about pre SPL, but have since become a fan of. Massively threatening to almost any Team and it is able to boost on a LOT of Pokémon that you wouldn’t expect to be able to beat if you’re unfamiliar with the calcs. This Pokémon has also caused the drop of Medicham as there are a lot of scenarios where Gallade will simply be the much better. Of course Medicham has its niches (hence it remains A-), but Gallade is a more generalist approach and should be promoted.

Many of my previously A- ranked Pokémon have made the jump to A rank (Chansey, Cofagrigus, Gastrodon, Skarmory) as they’re very well-positioned currently, and have proven themselves within SPL as well as after.

I don’t know if I’ve missed a major change that I’ve made around the top ranks, but if I did I can probably explain it :trode:

With the conclusion of SPL, the VR update a few months ago, as well as the ORAS representation in all sorts of unofficial tournaments, I wanted to review my VR from last year and update it. Here’s my new list, I’ll talk about some changes at the bottom.
View attachment 544846
The first major change is that I am no longer rating Tornadus as a pure S-Tier Pokemon. This sounds more drastic than it is, as it’s still comfortably top 5 in the tier, but the popularity spike of Zapdos and (to lesser extent) the Thundurus formes definitely hurts Tornadus to the point where I can’t confidently put it as number 1 where I had it ranked last year. I didn’t change Zapdos’ ranking as I had already rated it fairly high and the usage increase is clearly just a result of that :boi:.

I moved Serperior up a tier and dropped Diancie down a tier. Serperior still is one of the biggest threats in the metagame and it is not going to go anywhere. I don’t have a specific reasoning as to why it moves up aside from that it feels correct to put it there which wasn’t the case last year. I dropped Diancie a bit because I do feel that it has gotten slightly harder for it to be as massive of a threat as it was. Pokémon like Amoonguss Gastrodon and Chansey are all increasing in usage (and viability) and Diancie just kind of suffers as a result. A mega evolution like Alakazam is simply in a better spot in the current meta, benefiting from Tornadus sets changing in favor of Helmet > AV a lot of the time, as well as being able to deal with would-be checks via combinations of Calm Mind, Taunt, Encore or Recover.

A big one is Gallade moving all the way up to A tier. This is a Pokémon that I was personally quite sceptical about pre SPL, but have since become a fan of. Massively threatening to almost any Team and it is able to boost on a LOT of Pokémon that you wouldn’t expect to be able to beat if you’re unfamiliar with the calcs. This Pokémon has also caused the drop of Medicham as there are a lot of scenarios where Gallade will simply be the much better. Of course Medicham has its niches (hence it remains A-), but Gallade is a more generalist approach and should be promoted.

Many of my previously A- ranked Pokémon have made the jump to A rank (Chansey, Cofagrigus, Gastrodon, Skarmory) as they’re very well-positioned currently, and have proven themselves within SPL as well as after.

I don’t know if I’ve missed a major change that I’ve made around the top ranks, but if I did I can probably explain it :trode:
enough about mons, kpop artists ranking when?

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
I also think there's one move in particular for Gallade that's not talked about enough, and that move is Psycho Cut. It's no secret that I inherently value Pokemon that require making contact a bit lower these days, and that's because touching stuff is often a death sentence (also why I don't personally view Lop as one of The Best). Between Helmet on various things from Tornadus over Landorus to good old Tank Chomp, Static on Zapdos, and even Volc's Flame Body, there's a good chance that your Metagross/Lopunny is just gonna get screwed over, whereas Gallade has a good chance to avoid all of that, especially since Psycho Cut is pretty good coverage in general (Tornadus, Zapdos, Clef all lose coming into Swords Dance thanks to your fantastic special bulk, absolutely blasts Amoonguss, still fine coverage vs Lando/Chomp, etc...).

Yeah, being immune to Fake Out is amazing, especially since very few offensive Pokemon can even stand up to a Lop/Medi revenge kill in the first place, but that also feels like it's only scratching the surface. Not being able to be flinched by Weavile Icicle Crash or Excadrill Iron Head are absolutely enormous, especially since you can run Drain Punch to heal it all back. A lot of more offensive teams really struggle with Weavile and Excadrill as it is, having one safe "out" to both is quite nice.

Honestly, if Gallade had more of an actual defensive profile, it'd be even better. It's not really gonna straight up check things the way Mega Metagross or Mega Lopunny do via their absurd bulk/prio spam. Its defensive typing is quite awkward, it has no immunities, and any kind of status absolutely guts you. The way I see it, it's a very "selfish" Pokemon: It's definitely a one-man-army a lot of the time, and a ton of teams struggle to actually take it out, especially with Drain Punch recovery, but it's also not going to be part of your defensive backbone. I think it's still extremely underexplored because it has been consistently fantastic for me, but being a Mega Evolution that doesn't offer anything defensively is a tough pill to swallow. Think of it has a slower, bulkier, physical Mega Alakazam, I guess: It's inherently tough to build with because it has few defensive qualities, but can absolutely start cleaving through teams mid- to late-game, even with relatively little support. Even if it doesn't sweep, I think being this inherently good against Lopunny/Weavile/Excadrill, especially in a 1v1 situation, is worth a ton right now!! People should try more builds with it, feels like there's a ton of untapped potential. I think Psycho Cut and not having inaccurate moves gives Gallade unmatched game-to-game consistency as far as physical attackers go.

Seasons

Sassy Sunshine
is a Forum Moderator
I also think there's one move in particular for Gallade that's not talked about enough, and that move is Psycho Cut. It's no secret that I inherently value Pokemon that require making contact a bit lower these days, and that's because touching stuff is often a death sentence (also why I don't personally view Lop as one of The Best). Between Helmet on various things from Tornadus over Landorus to good old Tank Chomp, Static on Zapdos, and even Volc's Flame Body, there's a good chance that your Metagross/Lopunny is just gonna get screwed over, whereas Gallade has a good chance to avoid all of that, especially since Psycho Cut is pretty good coverage in general (Tornadus, Zapdos, Clef all lose coming into Swords Dance thanks to your fantastic special bulk, absolutely blasts Amoonguss, still fine coverage vs Lando/Chomp, etc...).

Yeah, being immune to Fake Out is amazing, especially since very few offensive Pokemon can even stand up to a Lop/Medi revenge kill in the first place, but that also feels like it's only scratching the surface. Not being able to be flinched by Weavile Icicle Crash or Excadrill Iron Head are absolutely enormous, especially since you can run Drain Punch to heal it all back. A lot of more offensive teams really struggle with Weavile and Excadrill as it is, having one safe "out" to both is quite nice.

Honestly, if Gallade had more of an actual defensive profile, it'd be even better. It's not really gonna straight up check things the way Mega Metagross or Mega Lopunny do via their absurd bulk/prio spam. Its defensive typing is quite awkward, it has no immunities, and any kind of status absolutely guts you. The way I see it, it's a very "selfish" Pokemon: It's definitely a one-man-army a lot of the time, and a ton of teams struggle to actually take it out, especially with Drain Punch recovery, but it's also not going to be part of your defensive backbone. I think it's still extremely underexplored because it has been consistently fantastic for me, but being a Mega Evolution that doesn't offer anything defensively is a tough pill to swallow. Think of it has a slower, bulkier, physical Mega Alakazam, I guess: It's inherently tough to build with because it has few defensive qualities, but can absolutely start cleaving through teams mid- to late-game, even with relatively little support. Even if it doesn't sweep, I think being this inherently good against Lopunny/Weavile/Excadrill, especially in a 1v1 situation, is worth a ton right now!! People should try more builds with it, feels like there's a ton of untapped potential. I think Psycho Cut and not having inaccurate moves gives Gallade unmatched game-to-game consistency as far as physical attackers go.
Yeah good thing u mention cut because when writing, I kind of considered the Drain Punch, Psycho Cut, SD, Sneak (or filler, but I like sneak) to be the standard but I guess it should be mentioned, given that just saying “Gallade good” would probably result in an increase in Close Combat, Zen Headbutt builds, which are not the reason I moved it up in my personal VR.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
S Rank
:clefable: Clefable

S- Rank
:excadrill: Excadrill
:serperior: Serperior
:lopunny-mega: Lopunny-Mega

A+ Rank
:rotom-wash: Rotom-W
:volcanion: Volcanion
:ferrothorn: Ferrothorn
:diancie-mega: Diancie-Mega
:volcarona: Volcarona
:heatran: Heatran
:weavile: Weavile

A Rank
:tornadus-therian: Tornadus-Therian
:alakazam-mega: Alakazam-Mega
:Manaphy: Manaphy
:tyranitar:Tyranitar
:slowbro: Slowbro
:garchomp: Garchomp
:gliscor: Gliscor
:charizard-mega-y: Charizard-Mega-Y
:thundurus: Thundurus
:zapdos: Zapdos
:metagross-mega: Metagross-Mega

A- Rank
:magnezone: Magnezone
:bisharp: Bisharp
:keldeo: Keldeo
:tyranitar-mega: Tyranitar-Mega
:landorus-therian: Landorus-Therian
:chansey: Chansey
:skarmory: Skarmory
:Charizard-Mega-X: Charizard-Mega-X
:latias-mega: Latias-Mega

B+ Rank
:scizor-mega: Scizor-Mega
:slowbro-mega: Slowbro-Mega
:pinsir-mega: Pinsir-Mega
:gastrodon: Gastrodon
:kyurem-black: Kyurem-Black
:Latios: Latios
:Azumarill: Azumarill
:Gyarados-Mega: Gyarados-Mega
:latias: Latias
:medicham-mega: Medicham-Mega
:cofagrigus: Cofagrigus
:altaria-mega: Altaria-Mega

B Rank
:Dragonite: Dragonite
:gallade-mega: Gallade-Mega
:talonflame: Talonflame
:mew: Mew
:Venusaur-Mega: Venusaur-Mega
:tangrowth: Tangrowth
:Thundurus-Therian: Thundurus-Therian
:Jellicent: Jellicent
:Suicune: Suicune
:quagsire: Quagsire
:amoonguss: Amoonguss

B- Rank
:latios-mega: Latios-Mega
:crawdaunt: Crawdaunt
:cresselia: Cresselia
:gardevoir-mega: Gardevoir-Mega
:garchomp-mega: Garchomp-Mega
:gengar: Gengar
:starmie: Starmie
:heracross-mega: Heracross-Mega
:cloyster: Cloyster
:terrakion: Terrakion
:alomomola: Alomomola
:victini: Victini
:reuniclus: Reuniclus
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:kyurem: Kyurem
:slowking: Slowking
:zygarde: Zygarde

C+ Rank
:raikou: Raikou
:manectric-mega: Manectric-Mega
:aerodactyl: Aerodactyl
:seismitoad: Seismitoad
:breloom: Breloom
:hydreigon: Hydreigon
:jirachi: Jirachi
:aerodactyl-mega: Aerodactyl-Mega
:alakazam: Alakazam
:nidoking: Nidoking
:mamoswine: Mamoswine
:gyarados: Gyarados
:ditto: Ditto
:shuckle: Shuckle
:togekiss: Togekiss
:politoed:Politoed
:feraligatr: Feraligatr

C Rank
:sharpedo-mega: Sharpedo-Mega
:krookodile: Krookodile
:ampharos-mega: Ampharos-Mega
:azelf: Azelf
:Hoopa: Hoopa
:absol-mega: Absol-Mega
:magneton: Magneton
:scizor: Scizor
:klefki: Klefki
:aggron-mega: Aggron-Mega
:swampert-mega: Swampert-Mega
:hawlucha: Hawlucha
:scolipede: Scolipede
:Pidgeot-Mega: Pidgeot-Mega
:houndoom-mega: Houndoom
:rhyperior: Rhyperior
:xatu: Xatu
:omastar: Omastar
:porygon2: Porygon-2

C- Rank
:beedrill-mega: Beedrill-Mega
:tentacruel:Tentacruel
:uxie: Uxie
:cobalion: Cobalion
:conkeldurr: Conkeldurr
:barbaracle: Barbaracle
:infernape: Infernape
:dragalge: Dragalge
:ninetales: Ninetales
:kabutops: Kabutops
:tornadus: Tornadus
:steelix-mega: Steelix-Mega
:heracross: Heracross
:sceptile-mega: Sceptile-Mega

D Rank
:celebi: Celebi
:milotic: Milotic
:bronzong: Bronzong
:rotom-mow: Rotom-Mow
:smeargle: Smeargle
:empoleon: Empoleon
:poliwrath: Poliwrath
:blastoise-mega: Blastoise-Mega
:abomasnow-mega: Abomasnow-Mega
:camerupt-mega: Camerupt-Mega
:diggersby: Diggersby
:chesnaught: Chesnaught
:doublade: Doublade

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
MGallade is pretty good ye, I think BU is relatively unexplored which is effective on screens ho. It's worse than SD overall but def should be experimented with more.

A mon that should imo get ranked is roserade :roserade:. This mon has pretty decent versatility and has a very unique blend of options. Spikes/Tspike is great since you threaten both spinners with a fat 125 SpA leaf storm. Defoggers like Lati and Zap hate getting sludge bomb poisoned, and any defensive checks eg torn/chansey get spiked on. You can even run technician HP fire/ground to snipe steels, but nat cure is really good too to invalidate rotom/clef status. This mon is very hard to switch into for offenses, and can also find decent entry through bulky waters, clef, even sometimes serp. Vs fatter teams you absorb their cofa tspike/set layers of hazards which is obv good for a teammate weav lopunny whatever. This is not even mentioning other options like stun spore, sleep powder, aromatherapy, synthesis. Roserade is really customizable depending on the team though admittedly not splashable since it's frail and ferro/amoong "outclass" it to some extent. I personally rank this as high as B- since I'm biased and brought this mon to #2 on ladder but C+ or lower would also be fine. Definitely a viable mon.

Seasons

Sassy Sunshine
is a Forum Moderator
MGallade is pretty good ye, I think BU is relatively unexplored which is effective on screens ho. It's worse than SD overall but def should be experimented with more.

A mon that should imo get ranked is roserade :roserade:. This mon has pretty decent versatility and has a very unique blend of options. Spikes/Tspike is great since you threaten both spinners with a fat 125 SpA leaf storm. Defoggers like Lati and Zap hate getting sludge bomb poisoned, and any defensive checks eg torn/chansey get spiked on. You can even run technician HP fire/ground to snipe steels, but nat cure is really good too to invalidate rotom/clef status. This mon is very hard to switch into for offenses, and can also find decent entry through bulky waters, clef, even sometimes serp. Vs fatter teams you absorb their cofa tspike/set layers of hazards which is obv good for a teammate weav lopunny whatever. This is not even mentioning other options like stun spore, sleep powder, aromatherapy, synthesis. Roserade is really customizable depending on the team though admittedly not splashable since it's frail and ferro/amoong "outclass" it to some extent. I personally rank this as high as B- since I'm biased and brought this mon to #2 on ladder but C+ or lower would also be fine. Definitely a viable mon.
Also had 100% winrate in spl! Absolutely top tier Pokémon

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
Yeah good thing u mention cut because when writing, I kind of considered the Drain Punch, Psycho Cut, SD, Sneak (or filler, but I like sneak) to be the standard but I guess it should be mentioned, given that just saying “Gallade good” would probably result in an increase in Close Combat, Zen Headbutt builds, which are not the reason I moved it up in my personal VR.
I don't wanna pretend to have the same level of experience or authority as someone like yourself, but I do feel like writing Close Combat off as an inferior option is a little hasty, given how important that power boost can be in a lot of matchups (not gonna argue with zen headbutt tho, I hate that move more as I use it more). It can invalidate a lot of mons that might otherwise eat a hit and kill your sweep with status or an RK. Meanwhile with Drain Punch I often feel like it comes up short in situations where you need that maximum killing power to follow through on a sweep.

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Rotom-Wash: 322-381 (105.9 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Rotom-Wash: 202-238 (66.4 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 328-387 (108.9 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 205-243 (68.1 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 357-420 (99.4 - 116.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 222-262 (61.8 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 373-439 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 234-276 (56.1 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 446-528 (115.5 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 278-330 (72 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 620-732 (96.5 - 114%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 390-458 (60.7 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 216-255 (89.6 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 135-160 (56 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(this one depends on a speedtie but it's still really cool imo)

Whenever I use Drain Punch Gallade it feels like I'm going against what the mon is best at: ripping everything apart without mercy after its specific checks have been removed or worn down. And while the recovery can admittedly help against RK attempts from certain suspects like Weavile and Serp, I feel like there's a lot of RK options that no amount of extra health can save you from (Talon BB, Bisharp SP, M-Pinsir QA, Torn-T Hurricane all come to mind). Maybe there's something I'm missing about Drain Punch; I'm admittedly just a high-mid ladder player who doesn't follow the ORAS tournament scene closely, so I'd love to hear more about other perspectives from better players.

fade

pistol pete
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
MPL Champion
I don't wanna pretend to have the same level of experience or authority as someone like yourself, but I do feel like writing Close Combat off as an inferior option is a little hasty, given how important that power boost can be in a lot of matchups (not gonna argue with zen headbutt tho, I hate that move more as I use it more). It can invalidate a lot of mons that might otherwise eat a hit and kill your sweep with status or an RK. Meanwhile with Drain Punch I often feel like it comes up short in situations where you need that maximum killing power to follow through on a sweep.

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Rotom-Wash: 322-381 (105.9 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Rotom-Wash: 202-238 (66.4 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 328-387 (108.9 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 205-243 (68.1 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 357-420 (99.4 - 116.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 222-262 (61.8 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 373-439 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 234-276 (56.1 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 446-528 (115.5 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 278-330 (72 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 620-732 (96.5 - 114%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 390-458 (60.7 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 216-255 (89.6 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Gallade-Mega Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 135-160 (56 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(this one depends on a speedtie but it's still really cool imo)

Whenever I use Drain Punch Gallade it feels like I'm going against what the mon is best at: ripping everything apart without mercy after its specific checks have been removed or worn down. And while the recovery can admittedly help against RK attempts from certain suspects like Weavile and Serp, I feel like there's a lot of RK options that no amount of extra health can save you from (Talon BB, Bisharp SP, M-Pinsir QA, Torn-T Hurricane all come to mind). Maybe there's something I'm missing about Drain Punch; I'm admittedly just a high-mid ladder player who doesn't follow the ORAS tournament scene closely, so I'd love to hear more about other perspectives from better players.
Those calcs aren't very relevant all of those mons are either chipped (rotom/meta/chomp(you probably want to psycho cut this anyway)) or don't want to trade drain damage for w/e is clicked (chansey/heatran)

CC will obviously be better at breaking but it leaves you open to being revenge killed by mons: weav / lop / torn and more that don't kill you when healthy without the defense drops. Using close combat makes gallade more of a hit and run mon which is better suited to medicham and lopunny, drain is strong enough and heals making gallade a 'one man army' as cbb said, which is something the other 2 megas cant do

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)