OU Analyses Discussion Thread

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
a few things from ben gay:

- encore mega zam slash
- merge p2 sets
- sitrus > lefties wobb and dbond > safeguard
- sd tailwind zard x analysis
- merge haxorus sets

couple other things:

- latios moveset? thinking draco / psyshock / tbolt | hp fire | roost / defog. defog is latios's biggest utility and basically mandatory imo. eq is basically just a heatran lure, and hp fire >>> hp fighting. roost is really useful to be able to put a lot of pressure on stalls as it can outlast as chansey is eventually worn down. mention of psychic to 2hko non-spdef clefable.

- updates to latias set: psyshock b4 tbolt (obvious), roost slash because it can take advantage of extra bulk and the longevity is really really useful, agent gibbs made a good post. latios is frailer which shows vs keld/char y/thund. i prefer an ev spread of 72 hp / 184 spatk / 252 spe timid for a bit extra bulk with life orb number, though max max spread is fine. mention that you can actually drop speed a lot, down to keldeo is honestly fine and pinsir is not implausible because you wall keldeo, speed tie is situational and then you can get a lot more bulk to work with. lets it be a more reliable lando/keldeo/thundy answer with a spread that gives some bulk like the one i gave or more hp if you drop speed. mention of hp fighting and hp fire in moves.

- cm set first for manaphy, tg rd possibly? tg rd is a cool set, with surf / psychic eats stall for breakfast and is quicker to pose a threat to offensive teams. at least oo, i think the set is pretty cool.

- offensive spread for defog scizor? i've liked 248 hp / 64 atk / rest sdef adamant. sdef can let it tank latis, thund which is useful and attack to actually not hit like a pussy is really invaluable. atk on this is a ko on mega gard. dice likes 96 atk with slightly less sdef, which is iirc a jump point? anyways this is the general idea, better spread with adamant, some atk evs, and spdef for defog zor.

- slowbro moveset update? lol @ ice beam being mandatory, more like scald / toxic or twave / slack off / fire blast or ice beam imo. toxic is better so you can actually cripple things and inflict damage on them that don't care about scald. especially for gyara/char x, u can stall them instead of just letting them boost. arent relying on scald burns vs chomper and friends. cripples defensive mons and keldeo/latis that would be in slowbro's way. fire blast is imo the best option in the last slot to hit scizor and ferrothorn, which are big pains in the ass. ice beam hits glisc and dragons which is useful, would use with twave not toxic. oh and otr is bad.

- remove snorlax analysis.

- taunt slash with knock off for tornadus-t.

- fix gastro analysis...toxic has to be mandatory, equake slashed first over earth power. the overview doesn't mention thundurus...

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ditto.3495461/

Yeah I doubt this is top priority or anything but the Team Options for Ditto are really bad. Forretress, Tentacruel, Noivern... Even Dragalge got a mention ;;; Deoxys-S is also in the Overview. There's also a little piece of writing at the beginning of Checks and Counters that isn't supposed to be there, and Illusion is mentioned in C&C as well (Zoroark is not viable...) I would post this in Small Changes thing but the Team Options basically needs to be completely re-written it's so outdated.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Heat Wave should be slashed with Focus Blast on Assault Vest Tornadus-T, probably before it. It OHKOes any Mega Scizor after SR, and 2HKOes Mega Mawile, two of the few MEvos that want to switch into Torn-T, and thus could absorb Knock Off, as well as check Torn-T. Heat Wave also lets Torn-T beat Aegislash 1 on 1 after you Knock Off its Leftovers, so you don't need another teammate to take Shadow Ball hits after Torn-T lures it and removes its item. Heat Wave also better handles Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and does 85% minimum to Bisharp, a OHKO with just a bit of previous damage. So without Focus Blast you only miss on 2HKOing Heatran (which is already crippled badly by Knock Off, as it relies a lot on its items), Tyranitar (hit by U-turn for decent damage + momentum), Mega Gyarados (will be at +1 by the time you switch into it), Mamoswine (bad 1 v 1 for Torn-T, and Hurricane, Knock Off, or U-turn are all great moves against Mamo anyway, if it ever tries to switch into Torn-T), Terrakion, and Diggersby (which OHKOes with Quick Attack at +2 and would never switch into Torn-T anyway). So you really only miss on hitting Heatran (still crippled by Knock Off), Terrakion, and Tyranitar, arguably easier Pokemon to deal with than Mega Mawile, Mega Scizor, and Aegislash. Not to mention that Heat Wave lets Torn-T threaten more MEvos and thus be a better Knock Off abuser.
Stone Edge should be a first slash on Tyranitar's physically defensive set. It allows Tyranitar to OHKO Thundurus, Talonflame (even when burned), Kyurem-B, Mega and Pinsir, all Pokemon that Tyranitar checks, as well as hit Mega Charizard for huge damage, sometimes OHKOing it after SR or leaving it as easy picking for even the weakest of priority users. It' also his strongest option against some of its checks, namely Azumarill and Clefable. Stone Edge is just essential on Tyranitar, and idk why someone would use Tyranitar without it.

I also question the slash of EQ alone on the last slot. The reason for EQ > Fire Blast seems to be to not lower your attack when hitting Aegislash, but Fire Blast already accomplishes this and hits more stuff, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor, in addition to other Steel-types that EQ also hits, such as Bisharp, Excadrill, and Mega Mawile. And 2HKOing two of the best defensive Defog users (Skarmory and Mega Scizor) is incredibly important for a SR setter. The only Pokemon you miss on hitting is Heatran, which is hit for decent damage by Stone Edge anyway. And Mega Tyranitar, but you are not even 2HKOing it with EQ even after SR the vast majority of the time, while it easily 2HKOes back at +1, so meh. Imo, the moveset should be this:

name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Crunch / Ice Beam

With EQ mentioned in Moves, or maybe a slash after Fire Blast. Toxic is a handy move that can be used to cripple usual switch-ins (Hippo, Lando-T, Mandibuzz, Azumarill, Garchomp, Keldeo, Quagsire, Chesnaught) and could get a mention in Moves.
On the revenge killer set of Talonflame, Fire Blast should be slashed after Flare Blitz, and WoW somewhere on the last slot. Fire Blast is a great option on Sharp Beak sets with a Naughty nature, allowing Talonflame to avoid the huge recoil that comes from KOing Ferrothorn and other Steel-types. It is also more effective than Flare Blitz against Skarmory, and in general covers most of what Flare Blitz covers, without the recoil. It even lets Talonflame bypass Intimidate from Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Mega Mawile, and actually hits max HP / max Def+ Lando-T a bit harder than Sharp Beak Brave Bird. Also, WoW is a great option on the last slot to cripple usual switch-ins (Tyranitar, Lando-T, Hippowdon, Rotom-W), and also cripple unsuspecting Sucker Punch users that think Talonflame is Band-locked after it KOes something, and in general giving it a way to avoid Sucker Punch while crippling the opponent back (unlike Roost). This is how the set should look like:

Revenge Killer
########
name: Revenge Killer
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Flare Blitz / Fire Blast
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Tailwind / Will-O-Wisp / Roost
ability: Gale Wings
item: Choice Band / Sharp Beak
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Naughty

Also, i think that Sharp Beak > CB, but this is more of a personal preference and minor thing, so whatever.

Finally, Life Orb should get a Set Details mention when using Fire Blast, allowing Fire Blast to do ~41% damage to max HP Landorus-T and Hippowdon, ~47% to 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor, and almost always OHKO Mega Mawile after SR,.
All taken from the Subjective changes thread.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, my thoughts on a few analyses (this is obviously very subjective, so take it with a grain of salt and feel free to inform me if I'm just plain wrong) :

Azumarill : Switch the BD and AV sets IMO. BD Azu is hardly bad, but it has a lot of trouble setting up and basically isn't much more than Sitrus Berry Azu 90% of matches (though the added bulk from the Berry comes in handy very often). AV Azu, on the other hand, is far more consistent for its ability to beat the vast majority of the metagame 1v1 and will always put in work against teams without a hard counter to it. Band is a really good nuke but the inability to switch moves makes AV more useful overall, so it would make sens to place it in between the two. Also, I'd give it a max HP spread over a max SpD one or at least mention one, since the added physical bulk lets you deal with physical threats such as Charizard-X (avoids the 2HKO from Flare Blitz), Tyranitar (lives a Stone Edge from Banded ater Rocks, and has a good chance of living from +1 Stone Edge from MTTar) and Mega Gyarados (avoids the 2HKO from EX after Rocks)

Bisharp : I'd honestly slash Life Orb before Blackglasses, the ability to 2HKO MVenu after Rocks, always OHKO Phys Def TTar, and 2HKO Mawile and Max HP Azumarill seems well worth the recoil. Also, I think Sash deserves at least a mention.

Excadrill : Slash Jolly before Adamant IMO, XZard is way too big of a threat to risk getting outsped by (and no-one runs Jolly XZard anyway). Also, I think the sand rush set may be worth putting in first : it's a great win condition, and unlike the Scarf set, doesn't kill momentum as it spins. In any case, put in in front of the Mold Breaker Air Balloon set which I find slow to spin properly. Slash or at least mention Air Balloon on the Sand Rush set since it lets you set up SD over stuff like Lando-T and Gliscor and beat opposing Sand Rush Excadrill.

Landorus : What is Sludge Wave still doing as the main slash ?_? Honestly, I think it might be worth merging the CM set with the first set, and last move should go Knock Off/CM/SR/I guess Rock Slide. Only mention Sludge Wave in OO if not dropping it entirely. Also you might want to mention HP Ice since it gets Lando past SpD Gliscor and CBBNite, Stall's usual answers to it, so it isn't completely useless anymore.

Landorus-T : Once again, Jolly nature should be the main slash because XZard exists. Superpower should be slashed after Knock Off if not removed at all : it really doesn't hit Ferrothorn that hard at all, and although I guess it's nice for MGyara and Balloon users, but that's pretty much its only use and is quite situatinal, especially compared to the utility provided by Knock Off. I honestly see little reason not to go max Speed Max Attack, you want to outspeed scarf Drill and XZard at least.

Magnezone : I'd bump the Speed up to 124, Min Speed MScizor is a pretty important target.

Mawile : Might be a good idea to slash Fire Fang in the final slot, if not making it the main slash. It hits a lot of important targets such as MScizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, and is definitely a solid choice for a 4th move

Medicham : I'd slash Adamant before Jolly, since it guarantees a 2HKO on Clefable which is a very important target, and honestly, you don't really outspeed all *that* much, since relatively few nonscarfed Pokemon that lie between 80 and 100 run a +Speed nature. I guess you tie with other base 100s, but I'd much rather be able to dismantle stall completely which is what MMedi is supposed to do.

Shuckle : This is just a small detail, but it should probably be mentioned that the fully physically defensive spread gives Shuckle a good chance 2 Iron heads from Jolly Scarf Excadrill, which is one of its main selling points : 252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 104-126 (42.7 - 51.8%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO

Skarmory : Taunt+Counter is a better option than Whirlwind+Brave Bird IMO, pretty sure other people can back me up on this.

Slowbro : Foul Play deserves a mention IMO, it's nice as a more direct answer to boosting sweepers than just simple toxic stalling and breaks MGyara's sub if it's at +1

Talonflame : Sleep talk is nice filler on the Band set, I'd slash it or at least give it a mention.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fire Blast Talonflame,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Moving on.

Sleep Talk is pretty cool on Band Talon, I think Sleep Talk > TW > WoW.

Agree with Adamant > Jolly on Medicham, only real use is pre-boost while you get some ridiculous power after a boost, 2HKO on Clefable is really important too so yea.

Ya Mawile set needs an update, getting a SubPunch set and then that slot should be FFang / Knock Off / Iron Head.

Speed for Magnezone makes sense, I think I ran around there when I used it (creeped a bit?).

Scarf Lando-T needs enough Speed for Jolly Scarfdrill, and Jolly should be the sole nature. Alsoooo I prefer an Adamant spread for the defensive set, probably 16 or 56 Atk as the main spread. It's really just sorta pointless to have Impish, you can't even switch in first turn on Pinsir due to Hyper Cutter and have to be at really high health to survive even then. Extra bulk is nice vs Talonflame and stuff but it's just so weak, so little offensive presence, not even hard to wear down, that I just can't justify it.

For Azumarill sets are currently alphabetical, so not much we can do. But yeah AV is the best set, and HP spread I think I put on-site already? Is absolutely the best spread.

Jolly >>> Adamant for Scarfdrill (only slash), Sand Rush is def the best set but again not much we can do about that, on-site I think Balloon is slashed already? That needs doing if it isn't.

Agree on Bisharp.

Lando: SR / Knock Off, and CM its own set.

I like Scald + Toxic + Fire Blast + Slack Off best on Slowbro currently, Foul Play sounds alright I'll try it out. Maybe slash? idk.

---

Torn-T, I don't like the loss of coverage vs TTar, Tran, and KyuB at all, though Ferro KO/Scizor/Mawile are important so I wouldn't be opposed to a slash.

For TTar I like EQ because it hits Keldeo (for something) and Zard X and Aegi while still having really useful Crunch + IB coverage. The current set is fine.

I believe the team options for Suicune should be updated to include Mega Garchomp since it is listed as a team option in it's analysis and Amoonguss. I prefer using the same ev spread from the bulky SD Scizor set on defog Scizor myself so it can check Excadrill as well. I also found myself occasionally running pursuit on defog Scizor, I think it could be mentioned in the moves section.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I believe the team options for Suicune should be updated to include Mega Garchomp since it is listed as a team option in it's analysis and Amoonguss. I prefer using the same ev spread from the bulky SD Scizor set on defog Scizor myself so it can check Excadrill as well. I also found myself occasionally running pursuit on defog Scizor, I think it could be mentioned in the moves section.
I'm a little confused - what makes mega garchomp a good teammate for suicune? The best partners for mega chomp are those who set up the sand for it's sand force ability or those who can also take advantage of the sand. Those include tyranitar, hippowdon, excadrill, and a few others.

This was stated in the OU Garchomp Analysis
Other sweepers that appreciate having their checks and counters worn down by Garchomp are also prime candidates. For instance, Swords Dance Talonflame enjoys being able to use Brave Bird without the presence of Rotom-W, making mixed Garchomp a valuable teammate. Suicune also fits under this category, valuing the removal of Pokemon such as Blissey and Ferrothorn from the game.
In addition, Suicune can beat Chansey when Mega Garchomp loses sand support, opposing non SD Garchomp, and Mamoswine for Mega Garchomp.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
a few things from ben gay:
- offensive spread for defog scizor? i've liked 248 hp / 64 atk / rest sdef adamant. sdef can let it tank latis, thund which is useful and attack to actually not hit like a pussy is really invaluable. atk on this is a ko on mega gard. dice likes 96 atk with slightly less sdef, which is iirc a jump point? anyways this is the general idea, better spread with adamant, some atk evs, and spdef for defog zor.
Unless I am missing something you don't need any Atk evs to OHKO MGarde.

0+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 278-330 (100.3 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with 64 Atk. Three jump points near 64 are 16, 56, and 96, fwiw.

Jukain

!_!
ah ok blame oiawesome, 56 is prolly best then.

i'm not entirely opposed to pursuit on defensive scizor but i don't like it with defog. i know yuttt has had success with a u-turn / bullet punch / pursuit / roost set, that's the general idea i'm getting at. 2 atks with pursuit is just too limiting, mega scizor is honestly a shitty defogger anyways because it loses to almost every sr mon.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
ah ok blame oiawesome, 56 is prolly best then.

i'm not entirely opposed to pursuit on defensive scizor but i don't like it with defog. i know yuttt has had success with a u-turn / bullet punch / pursuit / roost set, that's the general idea i'm getting at. 2 atks with pursuit is just too limiting, mega scizor is honestly a shitty defogger anyways because it loses to almost every sr mon.
woah, don't go blaming me, I specifically state in my rmt is gets enough sdef to live 2 +1 mega garde hyper voices so I slapped on enough attack to not be a complete pussy. I never said it should be officialized as a spread in any way

I'd like to get an opinion on updating the Mega Heracross analysis.

Evs: I'd suggest the EVs be changed to something like 252 HP / 40 Atk / 212 Spe with an Adamant Nature. Mega Hera doesn't need to run Adamant 252 Atk to do what it needs. As little as 40 in Attack will still give you a 2 Hit KO on Rotom-W with Pin Missile and still give you a good chance to OHKO Bisharp at full health with Pin Missile (93.8%) - obviously Earthquake or CC still destroy it. I really think it needs the extra HP to be able to take hits: +2 Bisharp Sucker Punch is barely a 2 Hit KO when Mega Hera runs 252 HP and a guaranteed 2 Hit without it.

Moves: I think Bullet Seed should get a slash or at least a stronger mention since OHKO'ing Azumarill is huge especially when you can easily switch into Knock Off or take an Aqua Jet if they switch in. Having played a bit with Mega Hera I find Landorus (-T) and Rotom-W much more common switch-ins than Aegislash but that may be because they predict Earthquake so I don't know.

Team Options: Rotom-W/Zapdos are not mentioned in the analysis under team options and they are way better stops to Bird Spam than Thundurus who struggles to switch into a Banded Talonflame Brave Bird. Physically defensive Rotom-W is also a good switch in to Landorus-T who plagues Mega Hera with Intimidate. Also Heatran (specifically Scarf) doesn't get nearly as big a mention as it should.

I'm no expert but I've used Mega Hera a bit so I'd be interested to see what the collective C&C wisdom has to say about my suggestions.

ChocolateTeapot, I am not part of QC so I might be wrong about this however that Mega Heracross ev spread seems to lose it's ability to stallbreak which is the one of important selling points. It fails to consistently 2HKO Skarmory: 40+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 142-168 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

While on this topic, I think CB Tyranitar would be a good teammate for Mega Heracross since it can pursuit various threats such as Lati@s and Talonflame which is useful considering that Keldeo and Thundurus were suggested in the existing team options for Mega Heracross.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to get an opinion on updating the Mega Heracross analysis.

Evs: I'd suggest the EVs be changed to something like 252 HP / 40 Atk / 212 Spe with an Adamant Nature. Mega Hera doesn't need to run Adamant 252 Atk to do what it needs. As little as 40 in Attack will still give you a 2 Hit KO on Rotom-W with Pin Missile and still give you a good chance to OHKO Bisharp at full health with Pin Missile (93.8%) - obviously Earthquake or CC still destroy it. I really think it needs the extra HP to be able to take hits: +2 Bisharp Sucker Punch is barely a 2 Hit KO when Mega Hera runs 252 HP and a guaranteed 2 Hit without it.
Erm... no. MHera absolutely needs Max Attack with an Adamant in order to stallbreak properly. More specifically, it needs it to 2HKO Skarmory with Close Combat after Rocks, which is a very important target, so it can't afford to lose Attack EVs. However, I do prefer a spread of 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe to the one currently on the analysis. The Speed enables you to counterlead Jolly Breloom by outspeeding and OHKOing it before mega, and the bulk still enables it to live a Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump 100% of the time which is nice.

I guess I kinda agree with the other points, not a big fan of Bullet Seed but it does enable it to beat Azumarill 1v1 which is a pretty common situation.

I see what you're saying, I'm not crazy about that exact spread but my point was that if you run more HP Mega Hera could be better against offence. I suppose I've never seen Skarmory as much of a problem since you're already 2 Hit KO'ing:
- Quagsire
- Mega Venusaur (after Stealth Rock)
- Heatran (Actually OHKO)
- Chansey (reduced Atk EVs will KO with a mix of Pin Missile & CC)

I didn't think Hera needed to take down the entire stall team by itself. :P. Skarmory would also need to switch into a CC because a lot carry counter/ brave bird so it's not a 1v1 match-up Hera loves.

@ Beserking Now: Good call on the CB Ttar I'll try it out, would also be good vs. Aegislash if you're not running Earthquake.

Albacore Bullet Seed isn't amazing but even Sub seems more useful than a coverage move just for Aegislash that allows flying types to switch in for free.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I didn't think Hera needed to take down the entire stall team by itself. :P.
you would be wrong. The stall archetype is based on residual damage and hyper self preservation. IF Heracross is walled by skarmory there is no other scenario than Skarmory coming in on Heracross over and over and just roosting until Heracross dies from hazards, status, rocky helmet damage, and whatever damage it took switching into battle in the first place. Simplified, a wallbreaker is not meant to outright 6-0 the opponent's team, it's going to get checked, what it is suppoed to do is have the ability to force the opponent to lose something which creates cracks in the opponent's defenses you can exploit. Having Skarmory coem in over and over and spamming roost on Heracross does not do any damage.

the hippo analysis should have a new set called "Mixed Wall" which should be the first set, because that set in general is more efficient than full physical or full special. it's generally the best and most common set used by ppl because of how it walls more stuff with the mixed evs than with full investment on either side.
EVs: 252 hp 120 def 136 spdef
Nature: impish

in OO it can have alternate spreads like 252 hp 88 hp 168 spdef impish etc

thoughts ?_?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
the hippo analysis should have a new set called "Mixed Wall" which should be the first set, because that set in general is more efficient than full physical or full special. it's generally the best and most common set used by ppl because of how it walls more stuff with the mixed evs than with full investment on either side.
EVs: 252 hp 120 def 136 spdef
Nature: impish

in OO it can have alternate spreads like 252 hp 88 hp 168 spdef impish etc

thoughts ?_?
There already is one :P
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/hippowdon-editing.3509512/

Why are so many analyses written talking about doubles strategies? I read a bunch of analyses on the main site and I'm like oh... they're talking about doubles... and I never clicked anything about doubles/VGC, just plain old OU analyses...

E.g. Kyurem Black
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/kyurem-black

Sidenote, those first two Choice Band sets with Kyurem Black should really be combined into one. Too much repetition and there doesn't seem to be a point. If there IS a point then it should be made very clear initially, as in "This set is very similar to the first, however [insert main difference here that explains why it's a different set]"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)