Project OU Player of the week #41: Daftmau5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dafty :]

:]

Thoughts on Alkov's (not) lord squads?

LOL his offensive teams are actually really cool (esp. his Garde + Kyub team). Not a fan of his fat balance type ones though heh.

When was the last time you visited SL?

I was there at the start of this year for a wedding (thankfully not mine!). I actually tend to go back around every 2 years so it's great to see the country always improving :]

Haven't seen you online for a long time, where you been?

Bit busy this week! Had a ton of various uni society related stuff and i was helping some of my mates train for AUGs touch. I'll try and catch you online soon!
I thought of a few other questions.

1.) Top 2-3 favorite DPP mons and sets?

Life orb Tran with Overheat, Explosion, Hp Grass/ Taunt Roost Aero / Sub Petaya Empo!

2.) Who are your favorite DPP players that currently still play?

You obviously :], pana, somalia, xtra, leftiez.

3.) If Zamrock, Mob Barley, and Steve Angello were in a pool of salt water, who drowns first?

Yeah there's no way i can top Alkov's answer.
Hey daft congrats on player of the week even though C1one is the one who makes the decisions. you deserve it!
quick questions

Thanks mate!

1.) How do you feel about the increasingly large divide between the Competitive and Casual scene, or rather, Ladder/Room Tours and Official tournaments. Do you think both should be given equal respect or do you lean towards the Competitive scene?

I actually don't think it's too bad because there are enough avenues for almost anyone to get involved in tour level play in individual tours like Smogon Tour, OST, and OLT. Even the non-official tours in the tournaments forum are worth getting involved in because they still tend to attract some really good players.

I guess it would be hard to give each 'equal respect' when you inherently see a higher quality of play in tour level games (but that's not to say that there aren't good ladder players). At the same time, playing in tours doesn't automatically give you the right to act like a jerk. I think there's a wider attitude issue in Smogon that needs to be addressed.

2.) On a number of 1 to 10 how many gallons of tears did you cry when Rumor said he hopes you'd die.
0. Waste of gains.
My friends own that killer milkshake place in Canberra you gave props to, nice to see them get a mention on Smogon. You should come down and visit sometime.

That's sick! Yeah, keen for another road trip soon :]

Favourite code of football to watch (from most to least): afl, league, union, soccer.

League, Union, Soccer, Afl (though Afl is pretty fun to play!)

What do you bench, squat and deadlift?

Haven't tested my 1 RM in ages but for my rep numbers:
- bench: hovering around 115 (i feel like i'm starting to lag here but i am cutting atm so...)
- squat: 155
- deadlift: 185

For reference i'm around 5'11 (1.8m), weigh 79kg ish and have been lifting for about 2.5 years. Numbers could be better i guess.

Favourite city you've visited in Australia?

Probably Melbourne. Definitely our most European city.

Favourite DJs? The fact that you love trance and house (two of my 3 favourite genres to DJ in clubs) makes me happy. Come watch me sometime!

I had no idea you dj'd - I'd love to come along and watch!

My top 5 of all time: Daft Punk, Above and Beyond, Eric Prydz, Frankie Knuckles, Paul Van Dyk.
Rate deadmau5's performance at TI5 (there are recordings you can look up) on a scale from 1-10

It was a really good set (like 8/9) until he dropped levels at the end...LOL.

Also, that crowd was abysmal. They completely killed the vibe.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I talked to you once when you congratulated me on being a sub for team east. First time I ever talked with you granted I probably sounded unenthusiastic in my tone lol. Glad to see you being on this project though.

Anyways what are your thoughts on M-Sableyes impact on the meta? The good, the bad, if those are prevalent?

I always joke to aussie people about kangaroos and being sarcastically racist but what's Kangaroo taste like if you could describe it?

Got any sets you like and or are underrated in the ORAS OU metagame? Doesn't have to be some craziness but like seeing perspectives.

Anything you think is overrated in OU generally? I didn't read all the answers here so maybe someone has asked already but was curious about that to.

AM
Kangaroo has no fat whatsoever and has a more spicy taste compared to other meats. If youre wondering why we can eat kangaroo we have a population problem with kangaroos and every year a proportion of them get culled, theyre not a protected species.

sorry daft but when someone asks about kangaroo i cant help myself.

I talked to you once when you congratulated me on being a sub for team east. First time I ever talked with you granted I probably sounded unenthusiastic in my tone lol. Glad to see you being on this project though.

:]

Anyways what are your thoughts on M-Sableyes impact on the meta? The good, the bad, if those are prevalent?

Good: It's a great method of hazard control for defensive teams cos it can actually switch into things like Hippo and Ferrothorn confidently unlike Mega Diancie.

Bad: It's effectiveness in restricting hazards really slows down the pace of the game and people are spamming that goth sab stall on the ladder which is kind of annoying. Also, the combination of Mega Sab + Gothitelle is difficult to play around at times.

Dice's mega sab team from WCOP is probs my favourite so far: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-70883. Looks hella aesthetic.

I always joke to aussie people about kangaroos and being sarcastically racist but what's Kangaroo taste like if you could describe it?

Flamer answered this pretty well above. I'd also say that it tastes pretty gamey and is incredibly hard to eat if you overcook it (and it's extremely easy to overcook since it's so lean). Absolutely delicious when you get it right though.

Got any sets you like and or are underrated in the ORAS OU metagame? Doesn't have to be some craziness but like seeing perspectives.

I'm having a lot of fun with Nasty Plot/Earth Power Celebi. Insanely effective at luring Tran/defensive Zard x/Rachi which are quite popular atm. 0 Spa Earth Power also does like 65% min to Bisharp which is useful in a pinch since no one Suckers at a Celebi. Defensively, it checks Mega Lopunny, Mega Diancie + Specs Keld which is rad. NP also stops defensive waters like Slowbro and Suicune from trying to cm past.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 112 SpD / 80 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Nasty Plot
- Recover
  • 252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 248 HP / 68 Def Celebi: 160-190 (39.7 - 47.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 112 SpD Celebi: 162-192 (40.1 - 47.6%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 0 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 248 HP / 68 Def Celebi: 153-180 (37.9 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 248 HP / 112 SpD Celebi: 160-190 (39.7 - 47.1%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • +2 0 SpA Celebi Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 376-444 (97.6 - 115.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
  • +2 0 SpA Celebi Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 228-270 (63.5 - 75.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 0 SpA Celebi Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 260-306 (76.2 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Defensive Roost Volcarona is pretty cool cos of the 30% Flame Body burn chance (highly effective at switching into something like scarf u-turns, fake out, mach punch) and is a great Scizor/Rachi check + win con all in one. Fairly reliable as a Kyub check as well since Physical Dragon stab is extremely rare and doesn't get lured by HP Fire/Iron Head sets unlike Clefable, Scizor, Ferro. Obviously needs tight hazard control (e.g. Mega Sab). Also a great switch into Serp (tanks LO Leaf Storm followed by +2 Dpulse). Beats MSab too which is nifty.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz/Giga Drain/Hidden Power Ground/Will-o-wisp
- Quiver Dance
  • 252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Volcarona: 172-204 (46.1 - 54.6%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Volcarona: 133-157 (35.6 - 42%) -- 89.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recover
  • 56 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Volcarona: 155-182 (41.5 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 127-151 (33.9 - 40.3%) -- 41.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 160 SpA Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. +1 248 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 192-228 (51.4 - 61.1%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Volcarona: 105-125 (28.1 - 33.5%) -- 94% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Volcarona: 187-222 (50.1 - 59.5%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • +1 252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Volcarona: 158-186 (42.3 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • +1 252+ Atk Mega Altaria Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Volcarona: 159-188 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Anything you think is overrated in OU generally? I didn't read all the answers here so maybe someone has asked already but was curious about that to.
Hippo. Answered above (page 1, Volteli's question) :]
Waiting for that day when the Aussies reveal that this is just a big inside joke from down under

;)

Last edited:
For someone who wants to get out there in smogon, what do you suggest he does? Tourneys? Ladders to top 10 or something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)