SM OU Perfect Time - A Terrakion Tapu Lele Balance

Is good Terrakion in the current metagame?

• Yes

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Could be great, but unreliable

Votes: 29 67.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Perfect Time - A Terrakion Lele Balance

INTRODUCTION

Hey guys! PrideMustang here, with my 2nd RMT. After my first RMT, I had little to no time to play and build, but still reading forums and PS to follow the meta and its changes with the introduction of USM. Perfect Time is a balanced team, which makes use of a solid defensive backbone with hazard stack support, two strong wallbreakers and a great cleaner. The name "Perfect Time" because of the name of the best song of OST of my favourite anime, Seven Deadly Sins, and also, I feel right now it's a Perfect Time to come back to play Pokémon, and that makes me happy, even if I'm not that good, because I'm almost always between 1500/1650 in the ladder. I hope you enjoy reading my RMT with the song and for sure, any feedback and constructive criticism is really appreciated. With nothing else to say, let's go ahead!.
Edit: Got replays!

The starting core of the team. Pretty unexplored to be honest. SubSD Rockium Z Terrakion does everything that Choice Scarf Tapu Lele could wish in its dreams. Terrakion breaks nearly any defensive core due to its almost unresisted STAB combo, tearing apart Steel and Dark-types that Tapu Lele dislikes, while it enjoys Psychic Terrain protecting it from SE priority like Water Shuriken, Bullet Punch and others like M-Pinsir's QA, which can revenge kill it. In the other hand Choice Scarf Tapu Lele cleans after Terrakion breaking dutties, and also provides a key check for many faster threats that Terrakion struggles like Greninjas, Tapu Koko, Lati@s, M-Loppuny and others, making them a very good duo to start the Perfect Time. Then, in a attempt to make a balance team, the next members were added to cover holes and threats.

Any team using a Choice Scarf Tapu Lele needs a solid answer to Volcarona, and Perfect Time isn't the exception. Mantine fits perfect here to counter it and trying to "balance-ish" the team. Our little dude serves as a counter to many dangerous special threats in OU, namely Volcarona, Blacephalon, Ash-Greninja, Heatran and the less common but powerful M-Charizard Y. Also it helps with the Rain Matchup dealing with Kingdra and with any M-Swampert lacking Stone Edge. Provides key Ground immunity, Defog support to remove hazards, mainly Toxic Spikes, which my team is vulnerable to, and also Haze support to stop those wild set-up sweepers to going crazy.

Perfect Time was really weak against many physical threats, and also was lacking a Tapu Koko answer. In this regard, Hippowdon was a great choice to handle those physical threats such as M-Charizard X, Landorus-T, Zygarde and M-Loppuny, and Electric-types like Tapu Koko and the rare M-Manectric. With its great bulk and solid typing it provides a ton of defensive utility. Also it gives Stealth Rock support for the team and helping against set-up sweepers. As a bonus, it supports Terrakion with sand, boosting its SpDef, which can be crucial to survive some special hits such as M-Diancie's Moonblast or Ash-Greninja's Water Shuriken.

Some Grass and Fairy-types were a massive threat to Perfect Time. To fix this issue, Ferrothorn was added to the team, giving the team a breath room against threats like Choice Specs Tapu Lele/Koko locked into a wrong move, provides a solid check to non HP Fire Kyurem-B and Choice Scarf Kartana, who decimates the team without Ferrothorn. Also gives the team the useful Spikes support, which is crucial for Terrakion, Tapu Lele and M-Pinsir to get some KOs, while chipping away at enemy's Pokemon's HP. The three defensive mons of this team shares amazing sinergy while giving the team a core which covers nearly the entire metagame.

Finally, I thought Perfect Time was lacking a Mega Pokémon and wallbreaking power to help Terrakion breaking cores and prepare the late game Lele's sweep. To solve this, I decided to add M-Pinsir, the best mega in the tier in my opinion. M-Pinsir gives the team a middle between a breaker and a sweeper. Depending the situation, It can wallbreak pretty well with SD to weaken walls for Terrakion or Lele to take advantage or, if its checks and counters are gone, it can sweep in late game. It enjoys Terrakion taking away its C&C with Continental Crush such as Skarmory, Zapdos and Celesteela, while M-Pinsir can use Grass and Fighting-Types that scare Terrakion away as set-up fodder. I'm aware of Psychic Terrain and QA problem, but, almost nearly have any issue since, the most games M-Pinsir was used as a mid-game breaker to put more pressure against my opponent, and also, almost never Tapu Lele enters to the battle that early in the game, giving the team a good priority move to pick off faster or weakened threats.
Latelly, I realized M-Pinsir gives me a secondary check (the primary being Tapu Lele in the revenge kill) to SD Kartana lacking BHE, because it can take any hit, and almost no SD Kartana are running Smart Strike nowadays, running Defog instead, meaning M-Pinsir can take any hit at +2 if full HP, hit it with Return and KO with Quick Attack with the minimal prior damage of 1 switch-in with Stealth Rocks in the field. This is huge considering how threatening Kartana is for Balance builds.

DETAILED_ANALYSIS

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

The star of the Perfect Time. I always wanted to try Terrakion because of how threatening is with the introduction of Z-Moves, and I feel is really underrated threat right now in the tier. It has great offensive sinergy with Tapu Lele and M-Pinsir, breaking any Dark-type for Lele and any Steel-type for both, while having a strong defensive core to fall back with its weaknesses. The set is pretty standar to be honest, the surprise factor comes in with Substitute, when the opponent decides to sack a mon to then revenge kill it, a well timed Substitute can be game changing, while also protecting it from status and revenge killers, allowing it wallbreak more freely and effectively.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Aromatherapy

In Pefect time, the best partner for Terrakion is Tapu Lele. Choice Scarf Tapu Lele gives the team the main win condition after Terrakion and M-Pinsir's breaking dutties, while with the great speed tier it hits with the scarf, it can revenge kill many threatening mons for the team, mainly Kartana. The set is also standar, but I decided to try Aromatherapy in last slot, since it can prove be really useful for support the defensive core, especially Mantine, who can get Toxic'ed trying to Defog against Toxapex, giving me the edge in the hazard war.

Mantine (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Haze

Mantine is a great support Pokémon in Perfect Time. It blanket checks a neat portion of the special attackers of the tier, bar Electric-Types and some random mons, while giving the ever useful support in the form of Defog and Haze. EV spread is for guarantee the 3HKO from Choice Specs Blacephalon's Shadow Ball, and Ash-Greninja's Dark Pulse if rocks are out of field, making Mantine a very reliable counter for those threats. Moveset is standar too, Scald gives it a little offensive pressure for its nifty burn chance, Roost for reliable recovery, Defog for remove those pesky rocks, spikes and T-spikes from field, and Haze was chosen to stop some boosters mons like Volcarona, SubCM Blacephalon and SubCM Keldeo.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

As well as Mantine, Hippowdon is a great mon in Perfect Time's defensive triangle core. It can handle many threats which otherwise could be troublesome for the team such as M-Loppuny, Landorus-T, Zygarde, M-Charizard X, M-Pinsir and the scary Hawlucha, as well as giving me a great counter for nearly any Tapu Koko variant, which is great. Max HP with mixed defenses EV spread allows it take powerful hits such as +2 Terrakion's Close Combat or +2 M-Pinsir's Return, while Choice Specs Tapu Koko's HP Ice/Dazzling Gleam are a 3HKO, full countering it. Moveset is standar, I decided to swap out Toxic for Whirlwind since some set-up sweepers were annoying, so, Whirlwind takes cares of them while also racking hazards damage, which is great in this type of builds.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Nowadays, every team needs a bulky Steel-type, and Perfect Time is by no means different. Ferrothorn completes my defensive triangle core and gives the team amazing utility, checking most Fairy-types like Choice locked Tapu Lele/Koko in a move different than Focus Blast/HP Fire, Scarf Kartana locked in something different than Sacred Sword, checking Electric-types and giving me a secondary check to Rain, which is good to not overwhelm Mantine. EV spread is for checking Ash-Greninja, while moveset is standar in my opinion, dual STAB with Gyro Ball to deal better with speedy threats like Tapu Koko and some speed boosters, while Leech Seed for wear down mons and recovery, and Spikes, which are crucial for this team letting the offensive members net some KOs while providing key chip damage to foes in order to prepare Lele or M-Pinsir late game sweep.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Last, but not least, finishing the Perfect Time's Squad is M-Pinsir, the best mega in OU in my opinion . I think M-Pinsir is a great addition for the team, being able to melt through teams after Terrakion takes away its C&C, making it a pseudo Magne-Pinsir core. Also, M-Pinsir can use common revenge killers for Terrakion such as Kartana with Leaf Blade, Keldeo locked in Secret Sword, and other Grass-types and Fighting-types as a set-up fodder and bust through teams with its strong Flying-type STAB. The set is really standar, in moves, EV spread and ability. The main work of M-Pinsir in the team is further breaking after Terrakion's dutties to open more holes to Tapu Lele to clean, or, sweep itself with its strong priority in Quick Attack. I'm aware of the Psychic Terrain interaction with Quick Attack, but as I explained before, I had almost no problem with that, since the times I'm using each member is different, meaning, the terrain expired or changed for other.

Since the goal of the team is facilitate the Tapu Lele sweep, the main plain in the early game is almost always set up Spikes/Stealth Rocks and cripple switchs-ins for different mons with ailments like Leech Seed, Scald burns, sandstorm damage and racking up hazards damage in conjunction with Whirlwind, while pivoting between the triangle defensive core in order to mitigate the most damage possible for the offensive members. Towards the mid game, I try to bring in Terrakion or M-Pinsir , mainly via double switches, or after a convenient sack to get the momentum and set up Substitute or Swords Dance depending on the enemy's team and remaining threats, then the task is try to wallbreak with them to open the holes needed for late game Tapu Lele, which can be devastating with its strong Psychic and great speed equiped with scarf.

SubTect DD Zygarde + Toxic Spikes are a massive threat for the team if I missplay a switch or a move. When I see this thing I almost insta switch into M-Pinsir or Lele to pressure it fading its Sub and then try to revenge kill, but, if I missplay a switch, this thing gets the DD and then sweep. I think I should replace Whirlwind over Toxic on Hippowdon to handle it better.
This monster have no real counter because of its good movepool and massive wallbreaking power. Choice Scarf sets can be handled depending on the move it gets locked, but SD variants are really hard to deal. I can revenge kill it with Lele, but a good player will see the scarf and switch out. I can revenge kill it with M-Pinsir if full health and Kartana lacks Smart Strike or Darkinium Z, due M-Pinsir resist any hit at +2 from Leaf Blade, Night Slash/Knock Off and Sacred Sword (and Z-Sacred Sword), and the min roll from Return+Quick Attack are 97.1%, meaning I can get the KO with 1 round of Stealth Rock damage. A really hard matchup but not a insta 6-0.
Electric/Grassy Seed Hawlucha is massive threat against this team. Hippowdon can check it quite well at +0, and Hawlucha needs to risk the HJK at +2 to 2HKO, meaning I can get the Toxic off and then stall it out, but SubSD variants are almost a lost game. The best way to try handle it is get chip between rocks, sandstorm, Iron Barbs and a possible Toxic to put into range of M-Pinsir's Quick Attack, since Lele get outspeed because of Unburden.
Quagsire Stall gives this team headaches because I can't KO it with almost nothing, M-Pinsir have a chanche to 2HKO with Return, but Skarmory saves the day, and no player will leave this shit against Ferrothorn or Tapu Lele. Luckily, I have seen 2 teams of this type, and other having Clefable as their Unaware user, which can be dealt with Terrakion and Continental Crush, if I time right its Protect.
Shif Gear + Z-Focus Blast and BoltBeam is game over, as it can destroy Ferrothorn with the Z-Move. I have to scout the Z-Move or potencial HP Fire pivoting between Ferrothorn and Mantine. If It is a DD variant with Electrium Z, Ferrothorn can counter it and stall it out between Leech Seed and Gyro Ball.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-691956205 This is my favourite one, Terrakion destroys the deffensive core of the rival, taking 3 mons down and denting KyuB, the Lele cleans up the game after its two counters, Ferrothorn and probably AV Araquanid were taken out by Terrakion with a key prediction in Turn 5-6
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-691916821 In this one, Terrakion didn't do that much, but heavily dents Mew and Landorus-T, meaning they can't check M-Pinsir anymore, the crux of the game is Hippowdon winning it.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-691914813 Early forfeit of my rival because of two missplays but, anyways, I think Terrakion almost 6-0 that team played properly with my deffensive core behind it

FINAL_THOUGHTS

To start, I want to say that the replays aren't the best quality in the world and they're low ladder, but I think still showing up the Terrakion performance and how does the team work in some degree.
Well, maybe this team can't be the most good or efficient in the current metagame, but I think it still can work decently well if played with brain. The most happy part of this team is my comeback to play this amazing game that I love so much. Any feedback and help will be received gratefully in order to improve the team. Feel free to change whatever you want, but trying keep the initial core :) Thanks you so much for reading this and have a nice day, Cheers!!.

Last edited:
Hello! Nicely presented team.

You can try running hp fire on ferrothorn to help with kartana, my suggestion is to replace gyro ball with it and -spe nature.

Hippodown could alternatively run whirlwind or hp fire over toxic. Whirlwind on hazard stack teams are really good coz they rack hazard damage up extremely quick + helps with zygarde / hawlucha and hp fire helps with kartana. You have ways to handle stuff like bulu, zapdos, rotom-w which u mentioned toxic is for.

Hello! Nicely presented team.

You can try running hp fire on ferrothorn to help with kartana, my suggestion is to replace gyro ball with it and -spe nature.

Hippodown could alternatively run whirlwind or hp fire over toxic. Whirlwind on hazard stack teams are really good coz they rack hazard damage up extremely quick + helps with zygarde / hawlucha and hp fire helps with kartana. You have ways to handle stuff like bulu, zapdos, rotom-w which u mentioned toxic is for.
Hello! Thanks you for your comment and rate dude :)
I think I'll run Whirlwind over Toxic on Hippowdon to deal better with sweepers like Hawlucha or Zygarde, and also, HP Fire in Ferrothorn is godlike to deal with Kartana, I'll implement those two for sure.
Thanks you again, have a nice day ^^

Hello dude! I was scrolling down until I find your team, and I really like it, I have a few suggestions
1: First, try to provide a importable with your your team to make more easy to test and then rate.
2: Knock Off over Gyro Ball in Ferrothorn would be great to cripple switchins like steela, Tran, scarf kart among others, but it makes you weaker to SG magearna, so is up to you.
3: while i think M-Pinsir is massive threat and great right now, i feel you could use another breaker or sweeper as your mega, comes to mind M-Charizard X, ir Mega Latios, which benefits from Terrakion, Even M-ttar would help

That is all, good luck

he still doesn't make sense even so, he says the pokemon is a massive threat then recommends replacing it. mega pinsir is really strong and his team well supports it so why would he change it

Hey there. I like the structure of the team and I set about trying to improve it. Here are some conclusions I came to:

1. Change Mantine to Zapdos. This will help you out with many of the threats you talked about like Kartana and Hawlucha while still retaining defog and a ground resist.

2. Change Hippowdon to Toxapex. Toxapex provides great support for the team due to making up for the defensive coverage lost by replacing mantine. With Payapa berry, it can beat Volcarona and still check important threats to your team like Charizard and Magearna.

3. Change Substitute to Stealth Rock on Terrakion. I know you talked about the usefulness of Substitute in certain matchups, but I feel like Stealth Rock is far more important and will be used a lot more. Z Stealth Rock for the win. You are replacing Hippowdon, which means that you are losing Stealth Rock, and Terrakion can get up rocks in much the same fashion as Landorus, forcing switches to get free set up opportunities. Also Terrakion will beat most common defoggers except Kartana and sometimes Scizor.

Final result:

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Aromatherapy

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Really like the look of the team, cant say i ever got Terrakion to work so i might have to give it a go. Cant really suggest any changes that havent already been montioned, but i have to say, i really dont like the changes that anna has said, i dont mind changing one pokemon in general in a RMT that's doing decently well, but changing 2 is a bit much, plus, that would make your team suuuper weak to zapdos.

Hey there. I like the structure of the team and I set about trying to improve it. Here are some conclusions I came to:

1. Change Mantine to Zapdos. This will help you out with many of the threats you talked about like Kartana and Hawlucha while still retaining defog and a ground resist.

2. Change Hippowdon to Toxapex. Toxapex provides great support for the team due to making up for the defensive coverage lost by replacing mantine. With Payapa berry, it can beat Volcarona and still check important threats to your team like Charizard and Magearna.

3. Change Substitute to Stealth Rock on Terrakion. I know you talked about the usefulness of Substitute in certain matchups, but I feel like Stealth Rock is far more important and will be used a lot more. Z Stealth Rock for the win. You are replacing Hippowdon, which means that you are losing Stealth Rock, and Terrakion can get up rocks in much the same fashion as Landorus, forcing switches to get free set up opportunities. Also Terrakion will beat most common defoggers except Kartana and sometimes Scizor.

Final result:

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Aromatherapy

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
Hey dude! Thanks you a Lot for the rate, it really improves the team, however after a few tests, i found the team weak to trapper taunt grondium Z heatran and SubTect DD Zyg, any further change to improve the team against this threats?
Again, thanks you a lot ^^

Hi there, don't know if you're still looking for rates, but one good turn deserves another. One thing I'd suggest is possibly replacing Mantine - running a Defogger with a hazard stacking team is counter-intuitive - the priority would be on preventing or at least deterring Defog somewhar. I'd say the team is a bit susceptible to Zapdos and Skarmory - while Hippowdon can Whirlwind Zapdos away, it doesn't solve the problem; it merely delays it. Both Tapu Lele and Terrakion take ~35%% from Discharge and neither want to be paralysed, making them shaky checks, while Zapdos can come in on Ferrothorn, Pinsir, Mantine and even Hippowdon to it's hearts content.

I echo AnnaKartanna's suggestion of Zapdos over Mantine, with one option over Defog - Toxic. This enables you to outright beat opposing Zapdos, provides a more solid check against Kartana / Hawlucha (Hippowdon goes down if slightly weakened) and, while not preventing Defog, at least gives you a solid switch into Skarmory. It also provides a option against Supersonic Skystrike Landorus T, which can come in on Ferrothorn, Terrakion and Mantine (if it avoids Scald) and severely damage your team.

Hope this helps.

Hi there, don't know if you're still looking for rates, but one good turn deserves another. One thing I'd suggest is possibly replacing Mantine - running a Defogger with a hazard stacking team is counter-intuitive - the priority would be on preventing or at least deterring Defog somewhar. I'd say the team is a bit susceptible to Zapdos and Skarmory - while Hippowdon can Whirlwind Zapdos away, it doesn't solve the problem; it merely delays it. Both Tapu Lele and Terrakion take ~35%% from Discharge and neither want to be paralysed, making them shaky checks, while Zapdos can come in on Ferrothorn, Pinsir, Mantine and even Hippowdon to it's hearts content.

I echo AnnaKartanna's suggestion of Zapdos over Mantine, with one option over Defog - Toxic. This enables you to outright beat opposing Zapdos, provides a more solid check against Kartana / Hawlucha (Hippowdon goes down if slightly weakened) and, while not preventing Defog, at least gives you a solid switch into Skarmory. It also provides a option against Supersonic Skystrike Landorus T, which can come in on Ferrothorn, Terrakion and Mantine (if it avoids Scald) and severely damage your team.

Hope this helps.
I tried out Zapdos instead of Mantine with and without Defog, and also tried the changes AnnaKartanna said before, and I found the team really prone to Heatran and Zygarde, especially those SubTectDD variants, I really have no counterplay to those threats, but I really like Zapdos in this team.
Thanks you for the rate tho :)

Hey man, team looks pretty stealable ^^

The threats you mentioned can be outplayed for the most part and it seems like a team with a good offensive presence and a way to beat stall.
However, there is one small change I would like to suggest, which might or might not be huge... :

Fightinium Z > Rockium Z; Terrakion: The only thing I can not really see you outplay is Quagsire stall, hence I would suggest to you running Fightiniun Z. Fightinium Z gives you an option to knock a Quagsire out after some residual damage, or after 1 Close Combat if your opponent allows that. What I like about that set is the surprise factor it provides, it catches a LOT of people off-guard.

Other than that, it's an amazing team, quite frankly
Hope I helped you out ^^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)