SM OU Please help fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please reply

So I'm relatively new to competitive, and I recently tried my hand at making an original team for the first time, and after a lot of minor adjustments I've arrived at this, but it's still not winning as much as I may have hoped. Any criticism?

Toxapex and Tapu Koko just don't contribute nearly as much as the others, and I would like to replace them or fix their sets, but I don't know what is the best way to do that.

The team also has a big weakness to faries (No steel poison attacks)
=== [gen7ou] Charizard-X ===

The Great Wall (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Toxic
- Flamethrower

The Good Wall (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Haze
- Scald
- Protect

Argentum (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Aurum (Gengar) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Thysia (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Healing Wish
- Heal Bell
- Skill Swap

Cocoa (Tapu Koko) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- U-turn

Last edited:

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hi there bryangamer7 and welcome to Overused! I'm A and i'll be looking over your team. It's a good start for sure but there's definitely some room for improvement.

Chansey is pretty cool but it needs to make use of its attributes in the form of Softboiled, Seismic Toss, Toxic, (Filler) usually, though we'll be replacing it as it doesn't really fit onto this team all too well. This doesn't mean Chansey is a bad Pokemon, but it's not going to work too well here.
Gengar is also not a bad Pokemon, but there's something better that can occupy the slot. Okay now, let's fix some of the movesets.

It's generally not worth dropping Celesteela's attacking move for Toxic, as Heavy Slam allows you to put a huge dent on a good portion of OU. The mixed defenses help Celesteela handle a wide variety of threats, which is better overall. Toxapex's mainstay is Recover, and you should definitely make use of it. Toxapex's EVs (not on analysis) help out vs opposing Mega Charizard X which now you avoid the 2HKO from 3 Attacks Roost while keeping a good chunk of special bulk to handle stuff like Greninja-Ash handily.

The choice between Toxic Spikes or Toxic is team dependent, if you're annoyed by the likes of Zapdos, you can give Toxic some consideration. Let's fix up Charizard a bit, with this he can act as your win condition and Fire + Ground generally has alright coverage, but bulky waters and stuff like Zygarde are annoying but that's where Specs Tapu Koko can help break for.

Defensive Landorus-Therian gives the team some buffer against the likes of Zygarde which can get really annoying, and with Yache Berry it can act as a failsafe lure for Tapu Koko, which will not KO you with HP Ice and get KO'd by Earthquake in return. The extra speed EVs allow you to win the Defensive Landorus-T vs Defensive Landorus-T mirror match, by outspeeding twice and using HP Ice to KO the opposing Pokemon.

Scarf Latios rounds out the team, providing some much needed speed control, as well as Defog for Mega Charizard X. It also can check the likes of Zygarde in a pinch if it managed to get a Dragon Dance up, and can also Trick to cripple walls.

While not perfect, that should work much better.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Defog

That's about it. Good luck and have fun in OU!

I'm not going to go into as much detail as A (seriously what is this just monika meme i dont get it and i see it damn everywhere) but a few points:

1. Celesteela wants Heavy Slam. Off of his high attack stat and massive weight, it lets him pressure offence pretty nicely without any investment. Flamethrower is nice for Ferrothorn, and you have some redundancy on Toxic, so I'd replace Toxic.
2. There is no reason to use Gengar either in this team, or in this metagame realistically. You don't have good ways of bringing it in, and its a really hard mon to double around with. You'd do better with Blacephalon in the same role due to its superior ability to clean up, but even then you struggle to bring it in, and its not great at breaking Zard's checks. I'd suggest something like HP Ice Latios, ExtrasensorySpecs Greninja or scarf Magnezone, due to their ability to dent Toxapex and Landorus.
3. For a Balanced team, Tapu Koko doesn't provide long term reliable defogs. It's a nice offensive pivot, but your team doesn't strongly synergise with the terrain either. The solution here might be to replace one of your defensive mons with a defogger rather than to remove Koko, perhaps a defensive Zapdos?
4. Why doesn't ZardX have DD? Or roost? One or the other is basically essential. DD lets it beat balance and roost lets it survive against more offensive sides. That and Crunch isn't hitting anything harder than its combined coverage before then.
5. That Chansey is just awful. I didnt even read its set the first runthrough as I just assumed it would be normal, but now I look it just makes no sense. Chansey cores super well with Toxapex, and is your only physdef mon, you shouldn't just be throwing it away. It wants Rocks, as your team lacks any kind of hazards, then Seismic Toss and Soft-Boiled or Wish Protect. Toxic is an option but you have it already on Pex so Heal Bell isn't a bad option, although I'd point out that your team is super resistant to status with a T-Spikes absorber, Natural Cure, Steel Wall, Attackers that dont care about burns and E-terrain to stop sleeps. I do actually have a softspot for counter chansey but I wouldn't use it on a team like this.

Here's my take on the same team.
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Toxapex @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Extrasensory

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
My version does lack a nuke, which might be a problem. If that's a recurring problem then maybe Darkinium Z on Greninja would work.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)