Podcast you Enjoy.

Your Mom's House is the best. It's standup comedian couple Tom Segura and Christina Pazsitzky. Lots of inside jokes so it can take some time to get into but it's real fun.

I like Joe Rogan too but I get really tired of him sometimes. He frequently gets very political, which I'm very on board for. The problem is that he believes that he is much more open to ideas than most people in the current political climate when in reality he's as strongly committed to his ideals as most people are these days. The difference is that his ideals don't toe two-party lines, but he's still shut off to opposing ideology. Still a fun guy to listen to most of the time tho and he does present interesting ideas from time to time.

Also I know someone said they didn't care for My Favorite Murder, I didn't either but one of my close friends loves it.

Drag queen superstar Katya recently started a podcast called Whimsically Volatile which is very fun if you like her, not sure if it would appeal to people who don't follow her tho. Definitely listen if you do follow her because it's great, if not probably steer clear. She talks to a modern day witch for about half the first episode so maybe try it out if you're into that too. The most far out it gets is zodiac shit so it's not super crazy but I think it's fun to think about.

Reactions: nui

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like Joe Rogan too but I get really tired of him sometimes. He frequently gets very political, which I'm very on board for. The problem is that he believes that he is much more open to ideas than most people in the current political climate when in reality he's as strongly committed to his ideals as most people are these days. The difference is that his ideals don't toe two-party lines, but he's still shut off to opposing ideology. Still a fun guy to listen to most of the time tho and he does present interesting ideas from time to time.
I find that I end up watching bits of Joe Rogan because I like many of his GUESTS... but realistically speaking, Joe is a smart guy but he is so uninformed and unsophisticated in his political, economic, or philosophical beliefs that he doesn't really have the ability to steer the discussion in an interesting way-- and it feels like there is no progression because he doesn't really evolve conversation to conversation despite having so many interesting guests in front of him talking for hours and hours. In fact there's a lot of the time where I feel like the comments he does make end up distracting or derailing the most interesting important topics/points that come up. So I think Joe is great at getting good guests and picking interesting topics, but the greatest value of the show is having Youtube spit you the most interesting 2-5 min clips; the gold nuggests that end up coming out serendipitously.

Considering the sphere of people around Joe, some conversations I really would love to see (not necessarily on his podcast, but that's possible):

Bret Weinstein + Steve Pinker
Two highly intellectual academics who are extremely well versed in evolutionary psychology (and biology/psychology in general) and are politically very similar on the left-- but Steve and Bret have some extremely important divides in belief that would be really interesting to hash out. Bret, for all his nuanced opinions on the science, tends to say a lot of things that sound like a Blank Slater-- that with the right environment, all people would have the same intellectual potential. Steve would find that ludicrous and has a whole book (The Blank Slate) refuting that view of people. Bret thinks the world is going in a fundamentally bad direction and is dedicating himself now to investigating the problems of the current world order that will eventually prove itself unstable and result in a horrific collapse. Steve's new book "Enlightenment Now", is centered on failure of society to recognize how incredibly good the trajectory of humanity and the world is at large. These two highly intellectual people with very similar shared baselines that should align very closely... it would be incredibly interesting to watch them hash out these two fundamental divides that are defining to their respective views of the world.

Bret Weinstein or Eric Weinstein + Kyle Kolinski or David Pakman
We really need to hear Bret sit down and deep dive with an actual progressive platformer/policy speaker. I know that Bret often shuns "going to the policy layer" even as he explores building a better founding of progressive thought, but the fact is that the sentiments are aligned, and I think Kyle or David would be more than capable of listening to Bret and going with him on a deeper-dive thought experiment. They would also be able to challenge him to re-engage with true progressives who would be his allies, and push him to take his thoughts all the way to the policy layer and the here and now of the society and politic before us.

Ben Shapiro + Kyle Kolinski (or David Pakman)
Yeah, Joe's platform would not be appropriate since this would be all out war-- but I think the all-out policy clash between policy junkies from both sides, who are both capable of being reasonable and putting aside identity politics (and I mean, all of these guys are Jewish men of the same age...) would be incredibly interesting. The CNN debates between Cruz and Bernie were already incredibly interesting just because those guys actually know their shit and are dedicated to their principles-- but Cruz and Bernie are both politicians having to play the political game on national TV simultaneously. Ben Shapiro + Kyle/David would be the same dynamic, minus the political filter or need to simplify arguments for audience sake. Just raw, unfiltered, ideological clash, no detail, data, or policy off the table. I think this would be pretty damn epic.

Ben Shapiro + David Frum
So much going on here... it's even difficult to describe what you could call this clash. Neo-Con vs. Principled Conservative is probably how the Shapiro fans would put it... but while Frum is (was?) a Neo-Con, and the candidates/politics he was a part of in the past resulted in all of the terrible RNC/DNC policy we are entrapped with today, Frum is like Fukuyama as someone who was really about the ideas of neo-liberalism/neo-conservatism, but ended up being repulsed by the end results of it. The problems with neo-liberalism/neo-conservatism might be more of a product of the corruption and cronyism that emerged with it, less about the ideas themselves, and even less about the thinkers who themselves later denounced the results of that corruption and cronyism. Frum still likes mainstream candidates and appears on mainstream media, but the things he espouses-- universal healthcare, stronger social insurance, re-negotiating trade deals and massively limiting immigration-- he espouses the most radical populist policies of the right and left together in the US. On the other hand Ben Shapiro brands himself as this edgy anti-establishment figure fighting for conservative principles and constantly disappointed with Republican politicians, but the policies he pushes are extremely mainstream conservative. Frum is a harsh never trumper who despite that focuses on empathy for Trump voters, with the issues facing the working class, and populist policies. Ben is all about conservative philosophy, very little about Republican voter sentiment, who has gone from a never Trumper to sounding more and more pro-Trump as Trump has done more and more to backstab his base and move away from Populist policies. Which of these men better understands the direction that the American Right should take going forward... you probably couldn't find two "men of the right" more different from each other.

Eh, except that they're both Jews, and in fact everyone on this list are Jews ... lol

Last edited:

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I think Joe does a really good job about allowing people to speak about their political views and facilitiating interesting discussion. To be fair though, sometimes he will just randomly switch the subject to DMT or wild animals or some shit cuz that's what he likes - this works fine for me as I find most of Joe's favourite topics interesting. BTW Joe's best podcasts involve Joey Diaz, that dude is a legend and a hark back to a different era when life was better.

Diaz also has his own podcast called The Church Of What's Happening Now where everyone eats a fuckton of edibles and chats shit. Solid watching, would once again reccomend.

Some podcasts I've picked up since the last time I posted here:

Very Bad Wizards is, to quote the source, "a podcast featuring a philosopher (Tamler Sommers) and a psychologist (David Pizarro), who share a love for ethics, pop culture, and cognitive science, and who have a marked inability to distinguish sacred from profane. Each podcast includes discussions of moral philosophy, recent work on moral psychology and neuroscience, and the overlap between the two." It's a fun show (both hosts have a great rapport, a great sense of humor, and don't take themselves too seriously) while exploring interesting topics related to morality and cognitive science. I get the feeling that people who enjoy listening to Joe Rogan will find something to enjoy here.

Mission to Zyxx is a gem of a comedy sci-fi show. If you enjoyed the Interdimensional Cable episodes of Rick and Morty, you will probably like this a lot. The basic premise is that it's an improv show sort of following a Star Trek-like formula where they visit a different planet each week, and after the live improv session they create a fully-produced podcast, complete with music, sound effects, and voice processing (to make the alien characters sound properly like aliens, and make the robot characters properly sound like robots). The production value is amazing, the show is astoundingly funny, and it might be my favorite produced podcast of all time. The build up to the season 1 finale episode is brilliant and it jumps from being just a funny show to being a genuinely thrilling story where you really feel attached to the characters and find yourself rooting for their success. I love this show to death.

Dumb People Town feels like a podcast with a pretty straightforward comedy premise (funny people talk about wacky local news stories from Florida), but it's pretty consistently funny and they have great guests.

Never Seen It is another comedy show that often manages to over-deliver. The basic premise is that a guest comes on and writes a sketch (a fake script) for a popular movie they haven't seen just based on what they've heard about it in the zeitgeist, the premise is nothing special but in practice it's incredibly consistent at making me laugh.

Conversations With Tyler features the recordings of Tyler Cowen's live interviews at George Mason university on topics related to culture, economics, and all the other things that you'd expect from the Marginal Revolution guy. Check out the interview with Andy Weir for a fun conversation on the topic of the economics of science fiction.

Akimbo is Seth Godin's latest podcast, shifting away from the topic of "how to build a business" to more general topics related to promoting a product, building community, and other things that come with running a side project. Always motivating, and often insightful in a way that gives me things to ponder on for a long time. Seth Godin's Startup School was already the best resource for anyone looking to start a business (an invaluable resource for me when I started a side hustle that eventually bloomed into a lifestyle of full-time freelancing) and Akimbo feels like the summation of his entire career. Buy his books, and listen to his podcast.

Pivot features Kara Swisher of Recode and Scott Galloway of L2inc doing a sort of "week in review" on the world of tech through the lens of business and politics, it's impossible to describe this show in a way that makes it appealing and the appeal is probably really narrow, but Scott Galloway is lowkey one of the funniest deadpan people out there. If you're (like me) a moron who is investing in individual tech stocks, listen to these two.

If you are a competitive Magic: The Gathering player (like me), you should probably be listening to The GAM Podcast (featuring Gerry T and Bryan Gottlieb) and Pro Points (featuring Sam Black, Mike Sigrist, and PVDDR). Great metagame reads from pro level players, along with some coverage of basic fundamentals of Magic.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
99% Invisible.

It takes on the fascinating dimensions that design opens up in our everyday lives and Roman Mars is a fantastic storyteller.

Last Podcast on the Left deals with cults, serial killers, UFOs, cryptids, and generally anything spooky. They're really funny guys and even their non-topical episodes are a blast. Just cool guys with cool life experiences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)