Pokémon GO

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Relevant to the discussion the other day about putting candy into Pokemon... reading a discussion on r/SilphRoad earlier about what to use Rare Candy XLs on and people were like "you've got to put them into mythicals, I would never use one on something raidable".

...which makes me want to know, how much XL candy are these people getting from their raids exactly???? I did the Kyogre raid evemt today; only caught 5/8 of the damn things because the game's become laggy as hell since the new catch background was brought in, which increased my Kyogre XL candy by a grand total of... 18. Not what you'd call terribly impressive. What about Rare Candy XL, though? My eight raids gave me... 2 of them.

When they increased the level cap and it came out that it takes almost 300 XL candy to max out a Pokemon I just resigned myself to never maxing out any legendaries. It looks like the most legendary xl candy I have is mewtwo with 51, probably from shadow raids.

I didn't bother with Kyogre raid day because I already had good ones from hoenn tour.

I did get out for litten community day, though, which went pretty well. Got just enough shinies for my living dex and a couple of trades, and I even got a regular hundo. More importantly, though, I made a good burst of progress in my final push toward shiny Jirachi. Less than 300 catches to go...! (Now I just need to replenish my Pokeball stock... sitting at like 5 pokeballs and 8 ultraballs right now...)

As for the charcadet event, hatched my last egg from it this morning, and no dice. I only hatched a handful of eggs, so didn't expect to be swimming in charcadet, but it would've been nice to get one. :p I've still only hatched 1 larvesta since it was released and it's in all eggs, so not liking my chances of getting a charcadet from post-event 10k eggs any time soon. Definitely not my preferred way of adding new mons to the game; doesn't really feels as impactful seeing a silhouette on the egg page as it does on the radar.

re: XL candy, I'm guessing that its burning through a bunch of *normal* rare candies and then dumping those into the XL transfer

People who go hard on raids are a different breed of weirdos

Relevant to the discussion the other day about putting candy into Pokemon... reading a discussion on r/SilphRoad earlier about what to use Rare Candy XLs on and people were like "you've got to put them into mythicals, I would never use one on something raidable".

...which makes me want to know, how much XL candy are these people getting from their raids exactly???? I did the Kyogre raid evemt today; only caught 5/8 of the damn things because the game's become laggy as hell since the new catch background was brought in, which increased my Kyogre XL candy by a grand total of... 18. Not what you'd call terribly impressive. What about Rare Candy XL, though? My eight raids gave me... 2 of them.
Should note if you did those in person that's 3 for the win plus any for the captures. It was one of Niantic's attempts to incentivize in-person raiding when they increased remote prices.

The logic I think is that Rare XL's take so many damn raids to accumulate a useable quantity that you would get most of the XL you need for a Raidable legendary by winning said raids before the Rares made a significant difference to them. It's kind of Megaelixir syndrome to then save them for the Mythicals simply because it's a justification to never really use them in case a better use case comes along after that.

re: XL candy, I'm guessing that its burning through a bunch of *normal* rare candies and then dumping those into the XL transfer

People who go hard on raids are a different breed of weirdos
Possible but at a 100-1 rate I wonder if that'd be faster or not even with stuff like Tanking to farm them off PvP

It took over a year, but I finally finished the jirachi masterworks research. The last stretch was tough because I was constantly running low on pokeballs and only able to restock every few days. At one point in an attempt to make bag space I accidentally threw out 200 charge tms. :(

Jirachi got to spend the day as a buddy before getting transferred to HOME so I can take it for a spin in SV later.

Now hopefully the Sinnoh masterworks research is not as terrible...
markup_1000032975.png

It took over a year, but I finally finished the jirachi masterworks research. The last stretch was tough because I was constantly running low on pokeballs and only able to restock every few days. At one point in an attempt to make bag space I accidentally threw out 200 charge tms. :(

Jirachi got to spend the day as a buddy before getting transferred to HOME so I can take it for a spin in SV later.

Now hopefully the Sinnoh masterworks research is not as terrible...
View attachment 619211
From how it sounds, the shiny shaymin research is mostly just tedious and mostly based around time gates

Step 1 is probably the worst, 492 catches for each generation 1-4.
Step 2 in comparison is just some time gates. Catch 20 grass types, catch a Pokemon 7 days in a row, catch a Pokemon on 21 different days

Step 3+ isn't global yet but you can guess how it'll go
Step 3: 10 flying types, 5 days in a row, 15 different days. Those are the same LA numbers for Step 2 so they'll probably go to the same equivalent numbers for global. yes it's literally the same tasks but this time its flying. Just spend 2 months doing the same thing
Step 4: 20 Nice, 20 Great and 20 Excellent throws (all curve balls). Guessing global just doubles these
Step 5: Send 4 gifts w/ stickers, Use 4 berries, earn 4 hearts with your buddy. Yes really. That's it
Step 6: Sinnoh Gold Medal, Reach Level 40, Defeat Team Go Rocket Leaders 3 times. I assume only the Go Rocket Leader task gets increased
Step 7: You're done!

From my perspective it feels like each step was just them going "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". Like why even bother with step 5. Step 2 & 3 just being basic big time gates for the sake of making the research last longer?
I can see adjusting the feedback from the nightmares of the previous masterworks but...

Anyway I managed to find a discord with brain worms similar to my own and got the other Charcadet. I am at peace once more, with 833 in the Home Go dex. Hoping whatever the April mon will be, will be less of a pain.

From how it sounds, the shiny shaymin research is mostly just tedious and mostly based around time gates

Step 1 is probably the worst, 492 catches for each generation 1-4.
Step 2 in comparison is just some time gates. Catch 20 grass types, catch a Pokemon 7 days in a row, catch a Pokemon on 21 different days

Step 3+ isn't global yet but you can guess how it'll go
Step 3: 10 flying types, 5 days in a row, 15 different days. Those are the same LA numbers for Step 2 so they'll probably go to the same equivalent numbers for global. yes it's literally the same tasks but this time its flying. Just spend 2 months doing the same thing
Step 4: 20 Nice, 20 Great and 20 Excellent throws (all curve balls). Guessing global just doubles these
Step 5: Send 4 gifts w/ stickers, Use 4 berries, earn 4 hearts with your buddy. Yes really. That's it
Step 6: Sinnoh Gold Medal, Reach Level 40, Defeat Team Go Rocket Leaders 3 times. I assume only the Go Rocket Leader task gets increased
Step 7: You're done!

From my perspective it feels like each step was just them going "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". Like why even bother with step 5. Step 2 & 3 just being basic big time gates for the sake of making the research last longer?
I can see adjusting the feedback from the nightmares of the previous masterworks but...

Anyway I managed to find a discord with brain worms similar to my own and got the other Charcadet. I am at peace once more, with 833 in the Home Go dex. Hoping whatever the April mon will be, will be less of a pain.
I am on Step 3 and can confirm Step 3 is the same as Step 2, but with Flying instead of Grass for Task 1 (same Time Gates). No idea on the subsequent steps.

I think the focus on Time Gates was because the old tasks didn't really work for what they were trying to encourage: Long Term play to also get players out for exposure. With the Jirachi Research the Kecleon task was probably to get people to go out and look all over for Pokestops with Kecleon to fill it, but the odds being so low even during featured events people just said "forget it" and waited to do it passively. Stuff like "Catch 1000 Pokemon" also is just a giant number that takes forever to make a dent in so no one's gonna feel compelled to go out regularly and do like 200 catches a day for a week.

Shaymin time gates by comparison encourages people to go out and play at least a bit each day to keep the streaks going, and Step 1's 4 regions to fill out also makes people likely to hunt for events in the schedule that cover something they're after like Nidoran Spotlight for Kanto catches. Also compounded if they know Time Gates are later because they'd ideally blitz through the Step 1 Catches so they can get the time gates counting down sooner, which means events where they can catch 200+ Mons for one of the steps are more valuable times to go out and play hard (and thus be regular fixtures at the park or walking around town or such).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)