Entertainment Pokemon History Chapter 3: Fossils Over the Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi there!

After a lot of thinking, I decided I wanted to write a series of articles called Pokemon History in which I talk about Pokemon as part of classifications that have not yet been done by The Smog, with one article (chapter) per issue, saving this one until its time in the series. In this particular piece, I want to talk about Pokemon over the generations that were introduced as creatures obtainable only by reviving them from fossils. I plan to talk about and how they have fit in to their stories in-game and in competitive play. I plan for this to be both entertaining and informative to readers. I will add very detailed segments in the completed writeup, as usual. :)

Omastar, Kabutops, & Aerodactyl

Fossils found in the Kanto Region (Helix Fossil, Dome Fossil, Old Amber), the former two found in Mt. Moon and the latter with an unknown origin. Omastar and Kabutops are based on aquatic carnivorous creatures with hard shells and tentacles/blades equipped for killing prey. Aerodactyl is the only fossil-revived Pokemon to come from preserved amber instead of a physical fossil, and is based on an ancient flying dinosaur.

Cradily & Armaldo

Fossils found in the Hoenn region (Root Fossil, Claw Fossil), found in the sandstorm-infested area in the central part of the region; Cradily is based on an ancient plant and Armaldo is based on an ancient armored insect. In-game canon cites that the sand-filled valley where the fossils are found was once a sea basin, suggesting that both Pokemon probably have an aquatic origin despite not being Water-type.

Rampardos & Bastiodon

Fossils found in the Sinnoh region (Skull Fossil, Armor Fossil), found underground by using the Explorer Kit. Both are based on ancient dinosaurs, but they use their head in totally opposite ways. Rampardos uses its head as an all-out battering ram, while Bastiodon uses its head literally as a huge shield. Rampardos maintains the highest natural Attack stat of all non-legendary Pokemon, excluding Mega forms, while Bastiodon is the only fossil-based Pokemon with Steel-typing.

Carracosta & Archeops

Fossils found in the Unova region (Cover Fossil, Plume Fossil) and with unknown origins. Both are based on ancient reptiles, with one resembling a sea-dwelling tortoise and the other resembling a flying lizard. Carracosta has great physical bulk but is held back by its abysmal special bulk and Speed; Archeops has amazing Speed and offensive prowess, but its power is directly related to its health, in that if its HP ever falls below half of its maximum, its offensive stats will also be halved on the spot.

Tyrantrum & Aurorus

Fossils of the Kalos region (Jaw Fossil, Sail Fossil). Both Pokemon are both symbolic of ancient dinosaurs, with one representing a Tyrannosaurus Rex and the other representing a Brontosaurus. Both Pokemon also possess dual typings that have never been seen before in Pokemon... typings that have unique advantages but also come with a hefty stack of weaknesses.

Title of the series (Pokemon History) subject to change. As always, thanks for this opportunity to contribute, and I look forward to writing this. All feedback or advice regarding this idea is welcomed and much appreciated. ♥

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hey, it's been about 4 or 5 months since I posted this, but I tried to have installments of Pokemon History backed up so I'd have the ideas reserved and I wouldn't have to think of them when I'm pressed for time. I believe Smog staff told me they'd like to see how my other installments went before approving this one, but now that I've gotten the second one written and scheduled for the release of Issue 36, I'd like to go ahead and back door it with this one.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue35/pokemon-history-pairs (first installment: very well received, also currently featured on Smogon's home page in an announcement post)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/36-of-pokémon-history-rivalries-over-the-generations-gp-0-2.3513471/ (second installment: fully written and now in Grammar phase)

The article idea presented above in this thread is to be my third installment. Do I have the green light? :)

Toast++ skylight Bummer

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This one was fairly straight forward compared to the other articles where you had to find the pairings yourself, so I'm fine with approving this no i didn't forget about it or anything shut up

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
This one was fairly straight forward compared to the other articles where you had to find the pairings yourself, so I'm fine with approving this no i didn't forget about it or anything shut up
No worries. I just want to be sure that my work for this project is consistent. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)