Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
so if it chooses something like Rest or another status move it applies Z-Rest's status effect? and this will fail to pick a move if the user isn't asleep like regular sleep talk?
What I tested: If it picks Rest with Z-Sleep Talk, the Pokemon will use Z-Rest and it will fail. If it picks any other status move with Z-Sleep Talk, the Pokemon will use its Z variant (Z-Mist / Z-Confide for example) and there will be no bonus (no full healing from Z-Mist +1 SpD buff from Z-Confide) - it will simply execute the regular move. If it uses Z-Sleep Talk without being asleep, the move will fail.

In all circumstances, you will get the crit-ratio boost from Z-Sleep Talk.

Can someone confirm if Dazzling/Queenly Majesty block foe's priority Tailwind? What about Psychic Terrain?
My guess is no but it would be nice if someone can confirm..

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Can someone confirm if Dazzling/Queenly Majesty block foe's priority Tailwind? What about Psychic Terrain?
My guess is no but it would be nice if someone can confirm..
These abilities only block priority moves target at them, priority self-targeted moves and field effects aren't effected by Dazzling or Queenly Majesty.
Also... how exactly does Z status moves work if it got snatched/magic bounced? Will the bonus effect still work?
Status Z-Move boosts are applied before the attack goes off, and are a special class of effects called Z-Power. Moves like Snatch and Magic Bounce would impact the move used afterwards, but would not impact the Z-Power bonus.

These abilities only block priority moves target at them, priority self-targeted moves and field effects aren't effected by Dazzling or Queenly Majesty.

Status Z-Move boosts are applied before the attack goes off, and are a special class of effects called Z-Power. Moves like Snatch and Magic Bounce would impact the move used afterwards, but would not impact the Z-Power bonus.
Thank you for the reply!

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
  • When Beast Boost is choosing a stat to be boosted after getting a KO, does it take into account stat boosts via boosting moves or Choice Items?
  • How do the stat drops from burn and paralysis interact with Beast Boost?
1) Boosting Moves: Had a Celesteela with Defense as its highest stat (159). Speed at 101 and boosted to +4. When killing the opposing mon I got a boost to Defense. Choice Items: Had a Scarf Pheromosa with Special Attack as its highest stat (206). Got a kill and only boosted Special Attack.

2) Burned Guzzlord with an Attack stat of 157 got an Attack boost when killing the opposing mon. Its second highest stat, Special Attack, was 147.

In short, Beast Boost boosts the highest raw stat the Pokemon has, disregarding any stat modifiers made by boosting moves or items, as well as status conditions.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1) Boosting Moves: Had a Celesteela with Defense as its highest stat (159). Speed at 101 and boosted to +4. When killing the opposing mon I got a boost to Defense. Choice Items: Had a Scarf Pheromosa with Special Attack as its highest stat (206). Got a kill and only boosted Special Attack.

2) Burned Guzzlord with an Attack stat of 157 got an Attack boost when killing the opposing mon. Its second highest stat, Special Attack, was 147.

In short, Beast Boost boosts the highest raw stat the Pokemon has, disregarding any stat modifiers made by boosting moves or items, as well as status conditions.
To clarify since I can't play the game myself atm Beast boost is a simple +1 to the stat?

Just tested Liquid Voice, It doesn't seem to affect the opponents or allies Sound Moves at all. Tried with a smeargle using round and it still was a normal type move sadly.

Fairly useless ability lol

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Last post of the night because I need to sleep.

• Does Berserk trigger when the Pokemon falls to less than half HP via a status move such as Pain Split?
  • Terrain-setting Abilities: Will they still trigger if the Pokemon faints from Stealth Rock/Spikes damage upon entry?
1) Berserk: Drampa burned by Will-O-Wisp went under half and did not get a Special Attack boost (seems to be an indicator that indirect damage does not trigger it). Need to tentatively test Pain Split and stuff like Spiky Shield or Iron Barbs.
2) Terrains: Tapu Lele at 11 HP fainted upon switch-in when coming into Spikes set by Skarmory - there was no ability activation. Works exactly like the weather abilities.

1) Berserk: Drampa burned by Will-O-Wisp went under half and did not get a Special Attack boost (seems to be an indicator that indirect damage does not trigger it). Need to tentatively test Pain Split and stuff like Spiky Shield or Iron Barbs.
I'm trying not to be vague here, but how does Berserk (and Wimp Out and Emergency Exit) actually work? Is it literally just when a move brings you from above half HP to below half HP, or is it anytime a move hits you and you end up with less than half your HP left? I guess my two questions are:

1. Can it belatedly activate? As in, if you go below half HP from e.g. poison, will the next attack to hit (and not K.O.) you activate the Ability?
2. Can it activate more than once per stint on the field? Meaning does it activate if you go from less than half HP to even less HP?
3. Can it activate more than once per match? As in, if you switch out and then back in, can it activate again?

Does Baneful Bunker protect the user from status moves or no?
Also how does Aurora Veil stack up with Light Screen/Reflect? 1/4 damage?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
1. Can it belatedly activate? As in, if you go below half HP from e.g. poison, will the next attack to hit (and not K.O.) you activate the Ability?
2. Can it activate more than once per stint on the field? Meaning does it activate if you go from less than half HP to even less HP?
I'm not sure if if I'm answering the exact questions your asking here, but from my Emergency Exit testing:
Just BEING at below half health doesn't trigger it. Your opponent needs to attack and deal damage to kick you out.

If something like Water Shuriken brings you below half on the first hit, Water Shuriken has to finish all of its hits before you get kicked out. If your in doubles, you'll get kicked out as soon as the move that drops you below half finishes dealing damage, you won't stick around until the end of the turn to switch.

Would like to say that Mike S. tweeted that aerilate (and other -ate abilities) still has 30% boost. The link is below. I don't know whether he's correct or UltiMario, who claims it's now 20%, since ULtiMario's tests look rather legit.

https://twitter.com/pokemon_PhD/status/797676572601909249

I don't know this user too well but it seemed like his tweets were being referenced quite a bit in this thread so I'm assuming he holds decent amount of credibility.

Last edited:
I haven't seen this answered, so is there some specific numbers data on the damage reduction from fire damage that water bubble provides?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)