Programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a of programmers on this site, most of whom work on the site or make programs related to the site. I would bet that there are quite a few people who would like to help, but while they have some experience programming, are not sure that they can. The expert programmers here would also be able to help less experienced programmers with errors that they may have and similar things.

I think that there should be a forum or subforum for this purpose - to help junior programmers improve and eventually help support the site. This would not be for "I have this question on an exam - what's the answer?" but "I am writing a program to do this, but this error keeps popping up (details) for these lines of code (code). Any suggestions?" and "I'm trying to make a program that does this, but I'm not sure where to start or what to do." or "Is there any way I can program something for smogon?" This would hopefully make people interested in programming and helping around on smogon.

If this already exists somewhere else, I obviously don't know where it is. But I did look around in C&C and Programming the Site (which seems intended to exclude or discourage inexperienced programmers) and didn't see anything like this.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well for starters, Shoddybattle is open source so you can program to your hearts desire there. Regardless of how competent you are as a programmer you can tinker with it. For the most part though, Colin and occasionally Doug do most of the bug fixes for it.

As for the site itself, you can HTMLize articles and analyses. Not sure what else you can do though......

I'd start with either of those suggestions.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
There's no reason that you can't post issues you're having with coding for the site in the Programming The Site subforum, but anything else is pretty much beyond the scope of what we do here. You'll notice, for example, m0nkfish's "Troubleshoot Me" thread in which he was assisted in his set up of a local development project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)