Project GBU Dex [Reservations go here]

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

GBU is a metagame of its own, with different viable Pokemon, rules, and unique play from Smogon standard BW OU. What we're looking for is this. These threads talk about the Pokemon's stats, moves, and common and effective movesets. It allows people to contribute their own experiences and ideas, and overall promotes activity. There are tons of viable Pokemon, and tons of underappreciated Pokemon, so anyone can contribute. Don't be afraid to jump in either! If you're not ready to make your own Pokemon thread, talk in other people's. See what they do, and stick around. It's quick content, it's informative, and it's a way to share what you know and help the GBU subforum get active!

Back up what you're saying with experiences or ideas, follow the rules, and most importantly have fun!

Before we start, here are some helpful threads to help you familiarize yourself with the battle formats. However, as these are discussion threads, you will need to read more than just the op to gather useful information.

Metagame Discussion Threads:

Single Battle Metagame
Double Battle Metagame
Triple Battle Metagame
Rotation Battle Metagame
Launcher Battle Metagame

And last but not least, a "general" thread, or so to speak, about the GBU itself

Flat Battle / Random Battle Discussion

Feel free (and please do, if you can) to contribute your experiences in these threads!

Current Reservations / Finished Threads
If the thread is posted, it will be linked. As a note: There will only be one thread for each Pokemon. You may choose to tailor your thread towards a specific metagame, but remember that the discussion of a different GBU metagame in said thread is allowed and encouraged. Please finish your thread(s) in a reasonable amount of time.

Also feel free to post/link with any posted threads that haven't been listed yet.

Important: When making your threads, be sure to bold what metagame the set is to be used in!
This thread is a good example

You can reserve up to 10 threads at a time. Finish all of your threads before reserving a new wave.

Oh and one last note: Though this could go without saying, you are writing these threads, you should at least have some experience in one of the battle formats.

Kanto
Blastoise - DreamTalonGolduck - Cassie
Tentacruel - Joel
Starmie - cosmicexplorer
Hitmonlee - assassinfred
Gyarados - Ashenlock
Zapdos - Cassie
Arcanine - cosmicexplorer
Ninetales - cosmicexplorer
Moltres - Redtype
Marowak - Ashenlock
Dugtrio - cosmicexplorer
Parasect - DreamTalon
Kangaskhan - DreamTalon
Cloyster - cosmicexplorer
Raichu - dragonboy52
Snorlax - cosmicexplorer

Johto
Crobat - Ashenlock
Murkrow - Ashenlock
Politoed - PungentFruit
Ursaring - Ashenlock
Porygon2 - Ashenlock
Kingdra - Shinyweavile
Hitmontop - Ashenlock
Blissey - Ashenlock
Smeargle - Crafty Scrafty
Scizor - muffinhead
Raikou - Ashenlock
Lanturn - iss
Tyranitar - Jibaku
Heracross - muffinhead
Suicune - cosmicexplorer
Quagsire - dragonboy52

Hoenn
Ludicolo - Ashenlock
Shedinja - Cassie
Aron - Ashenlock
Aggron - Arcticblast
Manectric - Ashenlock
Salamence - Ashenlock
Latios - PungentFruit
Latias - Solace
Aggron - Arcticblast
Flygon - Charzaro
Metagross - cosmicexplorer
Hariyama - cosmicexplorer
Slaking - PungentFruit
Medicham - muffinhead
Dusclops - Charzaro
Swellow - Charzaro
Shiftry - JRank
Blaziken - cosmicexplorer
Whiscash - dragonboy52
Regice - Ashenlock

Sinnoh
Infernape - Ashenlock
Empoleon - ~Golden Emp
Gastrodon - Solace
Toxicroak - kingofkongs
Bronzong - Cassie
Garchomp - PungentFruit
Lucario - lucariojr.
Togekiss - lucariojr.
Gallade - assassinfred
Rhyperior - muffinhead
Weavile - JRank
Yanmega - Jiovaine11
Heatran - kingofkongs
Cresselia - Ashenlock
Roserade - risenreturn
Abomasnow - cosmicexplorer
Mamoswine - cosmicexplorer
Glaceon - dragonboy52
Rotom-W - muffinhead
Uxie - dragonboy52
Azelf - dragonboy52
Honchkrow - sandman
Ambipom - DreamTalon
Hippowdon - cosmicexplorer
Lickilicky - DreamTalon
Gliscor - cosmicexplorer
Regigigas - Ashenlock

Unova
Scrafty - lucariojr.
Escavalier - Tenodera
Chandelure - Jiovaine11
Terrakion - iss
Tornadus - Cybertron
Thundurus - Solace
Sawsbuck - Charzaro
Whimsicott - risenreturn
Krookodile - TehDerek
Haxorus - BattleStar
Amoonguss - cosmicexplorer
Reuniclus - cosmicexplorer
Excadrill - cosmicexplorer
Stoutland - lucariojr
Landorus - cosmicexplorer
Volcarona - cosmicexplorer
Musharna - cosmicexplorer

Non-Pokemon
Moody - Solace
Plus/Minus Ability - risenreturn

Very interesting. I've been compiling usage data for about 100 different Double Battles so far and I'd like to see it put to some use, though it's sometimes difficult to filter what's being used by an experienced player versus someone who just used his ingame team. Am I misunderstanding the thread, or is this sort of like what you're looking for? Not usage data in specific, but data about the Pokemon that appear in the GBU, their movesets, useful strategies, etc?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's basically what's being looked for. Some common sets you've seen, sets you've used that work, experiences with the Pokemon, and what you've mentioned above. Think like an in-depth Pokedex description that shows you ways you can actually use it, and not just what it's stats are and abilities.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
so are the treads on the doubles aspect of the gbu, the singles, or both? Anyway great someonw bought this up. it'd be cool to have discussions of certain pokemon.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
For the record:

Rules said:
What you are allowed to do:
- Create a discussion for specific Pokemon, moves, and abilities.
Has been there since day 1 :p

Solace

royal flush
soul survivor- any gbu metagame you feel most comfortable writing sets for! suppose you like writing doubles, someone who has used the pokemon in singles can make a singles set and discuss it

jibaku no one reads that unfortunately ;_;

I'm not quite sure where to start. Do we just unload info in this thread, or start making threads for individual Pokemon/abilities/combinations/tactics/etc.?

At some point maybe we should make a "GBU Master Thread" because 80% of the threads currently in this forum are very general (Singles Metagame, General Weather, Creative Movesets) and would almost be the kind of thread stickied elsewhere. Obviously, we can't have 10+ threads in the same idea stickied, so perhaps a "catalogue thread" full of all the metagame threads and the possibly-soon-to-be individual Pokemon threads.

But back on the subject at hand: This project looks very interesting, and I'll get to work with what I can do with what I have right now.

EDIT: I'm working on Hitmontop right now. I'll list some others in a minute if it's alright. I don't know how many I can reserve, but I'd like:

Manectric
Gyarados
Blissey
Salamence
Murkrow

NOTE: I'll edit this post into the previous one soon, but I wanted to update this thread because I feel what I have to say is important.

Okay, so people are starting to write Pokemon threads for the GBU. That's awesome. Why don't we make a thread where we "reserve" certain Pokemon, so that we don't end up doing the same thread twice?

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Added all of the reservations I've received up to this point. For now there is no limit as to how many you can have, but pleease finish them in a reasonable amount of time.

Jibaku

Everything really. (Singles/Doubles/Triples/Rotation/and even Wonder Launcher if you count that)

I'd like to request a few more reservations, if you don't mind. I think I can finish the ones I've listed already as well as these within 48 hours:

Ludicolo
Aron
Infernape
Porygon2
Ursaring
Crobat

Hell, I'd love to reserve all of them! I'll get done with these ASAP.

Oh, and these are all for doubles. Tell me if you want me to change the thread title of each of them for doubles, or if you eventually want all the threads to be a compilation for EVERY battle format (i.e. sets for Hitmontop in Singles, Doubles, Triples, Rotation, and Launcher).

EDIT: Okay, thanks.

Jibaku

The threads are supposed to encompass every battle format, but as the OP, you may choose to focus on a specific metagame on the original post. However, people are allowed to discuss other formats in there.

Jibaku

New rule: You can only reserve up to 10 threads at a time. Ashenlock sort of a special pass with 11 threads because the rule wasn't up before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)