Propose-a-Game / Request-a-Host Thread

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
This topic is for people to propose a new game to see if there is adequate support to play the game. People may also request other people to host a game they have thought of but are unable to host themselves. It can also be used to search for co-hosts for their games.

Before posting, keep in mind the following guidelines:

• Make sure to give at least the basics of your game in your post.
  • Make sure that game isn't already being played (unless its for the next installment)
  • Make sure you ask people to PM you, not post in the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
NOTE: SINCE PEOPLE DO NOT SEEM TO READ THIS FULLY, THIS ISN'T A SIGNUP POST. ITS MERELY A POST TO SEE IF WE HAVE ENOUGH SUPPORT FOR THIS AND FOR SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTS. PEOPLE WHO PM ME SAYING THEY ARE INTERESTED WILL PROBABLY BE PUT ON THE SIGNUP LIST AUTOMATICALLY IF AND WHEN THIS COMES UP.

It doesn't seem like anyone else is interested in any ideas so I'll throw one out myself.

I was thinking of hosting a dodgeball tournament, basically 8 teams of 4 or 5 (depending on signups). It would basically be the same rules we play on IRC with a few small changes or something.

Here's a basic overview of how its played:

Each team starts with some 'free' balls on their side. This is basically balls lying around etc.

A player can use one of the following actions each turn:

1) Pickup - Only valid if the player is not holding any balls. If there is a free ball on his side, he will be able to pick it up.
2) Dodge - Dodging allows a player to evade upto TWO incoming balls at him. Any more and he will be hit.
3) Catch - Only valid if the player is not holding any balls. A player can catch upto ONE ball. If successful, the opponent who threw it is eliminated. If more than one ball was thrown, then the player is eliminated
4) Throw - Only valid if the player is holding a ball. A player can throw a ball at another player. If that player cant evade it, they are eliminated.
5) Pray - Only valid in a 1vs1 standoff. A player can sacrifice a ball to the dodgeball gods to bring back an existing teammate.

Keep in mind, a player isn't allowed to use the same action twice in a row. I've received mixed feedback about how people will take this tournament on #fluodome but I wanted to see if there were enough people interested.

There were also a few ideas I we might add in but I'll edit them in later after talking to a few people about them.

Anyway, PM me saying you're interested if you are!

Edit:

Just for clarification, I'm willing to host this (though if others want to help, especially with the write-ups or even with the hosting, feel free to pm me). I just want to see if people will want to play this/think it'll be fun.

Also, I would say this would be 1 day per turn. On average a 4vs4 match lasts about 9 days for an idea on how this would go.

Shiv

mostly harmless
So well, I've wanted to host a Heroes mafia for a long time now. Basically, it'll be based on the T.V. Series that is Heroes.

Initially, I had thought it would be a regular mafia but I realized I don't have the time for that right now, so I was going to host a small mafia.

I'd like a co-host to host this, if you're interested, PM me on the forums, not IRC/anywhere else!

Thanks!

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm currently writing an mIRC script bot for a game called Fort, which is of my invention, though based on other games.

The basic premise of the game is the following:

• You defend a fort, and recruit warriors, guardians, infiltrators and sentries to do so.
  • Warriors attack enemy forts, Guardians defend your fort from attacks by warriors, Infiltrators attempt to assassinate enemy soldiers and Sentries stop infiltrators from doing so.
  • As soon as the hit points of your fort becomes zero, you are out of the game.
  • The winner is the only player left who still has hit points in his fort.

I'm still toying with the exact rules and stuff, but I hope that it gets support, like my Twenty card game bot I wrote last year ;).

Ok well, I've basically constructed the framework to a new large anonymous game which will have an open theme. Very open. Extremely open. All that is left to do is write Role PMs (Which I am not very good at) and a little tweaking here and there.

So I am looking for a co-host for this, anyone interested? PM me if you are.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Smogon ASB League.

This seems like the most logical place to post this, if a bit more low key than I would like.

I propose a Smogon Anime Style Battling League.

Other forums like Bulbagarden and The PokeMasters have these games in effect, we did have one at PokemonFanUniverse, which is now defunct, Magmortified and a few other Smogon users were part of it.

These games are very expansive, continuous, and usually utilize several forums and subforums once they gain enough interest. Here are the basics, just to ascertain interest. They will be based on the ASB model I'm most familiar with (leagues across multiple forums differ), which is PFU's model.

The Basics:

Anime Style Battling combines role-playing elements with a PvP battling system where each battle between players has its own thread and its own "referee."

1. Each Player is allowed (1) account. This account includes all their pokemon, various specialty items for intra-ASB activities, and any currency.
2. Players can battle each other's pokemon in matches using any moves available to their pokemon that the pokemon have obtained. It requires both teams be approved, a battle arena chosen, and a ref for the match.
3. Additionally, Shops can be set up to provide pokemon, items, or activities at a reasonable price. Starting fresh puts this on a first come, first serve basis, and the user in charge must be active.

Now, all of this sounds very nebulous and to be honest, its actually a project to establish in and of itself. Here are the elements we had in the PFUASB before the forum deletion: TPM has many of these elements, and some different ones.

1. Team Approval Tower: (Teams are approved here, the first step for all users)
2. Bank: (where you verify transactions and monetary winnings from matches)
3. Reffing Tower: (where refs are approved.)
3a: Subsystems:
Scale of Damages (e.g. a method for calculating a logical amount of damage that an attack would do in battle).
Combining Attacks (just like in the Anime, refs will combine these attacks within reason based on the trainer's strategy)
Alternating Turns: (The trainer who sends out the first pokemon sends attacks second [sending second allows more defensive/reactive moves])
Attack List: (Attacks and their descriptions)
Ability List: (Abilities and their descriptions)
4. Various shops: including a Safari Zone, Breeding center, Daycare, Evolution shops, Item Shops, Trading Center, etc.
4a. Subsystems:
Evolving pokemon required physical time restraints and could not be used in battles while in a shop
5. Battle Dome: (Battles between users were requested here)
5a. Subsystems:
Number of Pokemon: (1vs1 - 6vs6)
Style: (Singles, Doubles, Teams, or "Free for All")
Arena: (Custom arenas with user created effects on moves, size of the arena, inherent weather effects, indoor/outdoor, etc. Basically if you can imagine it, the Arena was legit, provided you could get someone to accept it. Arena destruction is totally legit, as are rules about "Ring Outs." Use your imagination. Or go with Indigo Stadium.)
DQ Limit: Disqualification Period. Usually 3 days to week. Battlers are expected to post their next attacks within the DQ period or suffer a loss.
Other Limits: Usually around OHKOs, direct recovery moves and "chills," which restored HP and Energy, respectively. (Double Team usually isn't here because it's much easier to thwart in ASB than in Shoddy, seeing as wide attacks dissipate the clones. Basically if you've seen it done in anime, it's largely fair game as a tactic. Including Ghosts "phazing" through walls and the like)

Example:
3vs3
Singles
Arena: Indigo Stadium: A plain outdoor stadium around the size of a football field, with a granite floor.
DQ: 3 days
NO OHKOS
2 Direct Recovery (Milk Drink/Recover)/5 Chills [10% energy regain] per pokemon.

Battle Threads: (After getting a Ref to start the topic, The battle occurs here)
Subsystems: HP and Energy (A Pokemon is KO'd if it runs out of either. Powerful attacks cost more energy and do more damage. Support attacks do not do damage but do use energy, as does dodging or any other action. Energy is designed to balance offensive and defensive play, discouraging tanking tactics.)

The rules of most ASBs is that battles consist of each trainer posting 3 attacks and their strategy for that round. The referee then plays out these attacks and any arena effects, constituting a round. Battles between Elite trainers get much more complicated, as there is an allowance for alternate sets of commands, within reason. The Ref can screw you up if you give your pokemon orders that are too complex.

There were other elements we were going to add, we were currently updating to DP Pokemon and Moves, and debating Ability implementation and Leveling systems, as well as the "start-up package" for new trainers.

Here was the last model I proposed for a Startup:

1. Trainers begin with up to (3) Pokemon at the lowest stage of evolution, no Legendaries, spending up to 6 "rarity points" and $15.

2. During Team Approval, each new pokemon starts at Lv. 5 and gets its starting moves + 2 Egg Moves, 2 TMs (one of which must be STAB), and 1 Tutor Move. These are Trainer's choice.

3. Trainers are expected to keep track of the pokemon and money in their accounts.

The reasons for this were to keep the ASB interesting. Our system used to be each pokemon had access to all possible moves from all possible generations available, we wanted to go for a more balanced system in our restart, and not give overpowering advantages to pokemon with immense movepools. This allows each trainer to combine the moves they think will be most effective, and not turn early battles into a Scratch and Pound-fest.

Additionally the reward for winning a battle used to be some money (base don battle length), and a catch or evolution. The level-based system changed this dynamic (on the evolution side). Refs were naturally paid more because refereeing is intense and time consuming, and additionally received a weekly check from the bank for doing so.

Anyway, a lot of this is rambling and justification. Basically speaking, the Smogon ASB League would require a substantial amount of commitment from dedicated users. As its proposer I will take the lead in getting everything sorted out, starting with what we want our rules to be. This is a very complicated game that requires good writing, logical, and sensical skills but is extremely fun when created properly. Once the actual rules are in place, it is fairly easy to pick up.

None of these rules, btw, are set in stone. That is what the rules committee and active members at the outset is for. If someone come sup with a brilliant system, I'm all for it. I already have some of these supporting documents in my computer, as I had created them for use at PFU.

Basically it is like building your own miniature economy combined with RPG elements and pokemon training through battle. There are limitations on how many battles you can be in at once (usually 2 Max), and the day limitations (24, 36, 48) on many activities means its not a huge source of pc++. A good ASB rewards the creativity of its members.

Lip sync competition. It'll be along the lines of karaoke. I wanna know if there's enough people with webcams and willing to put in some effort. This will be a lot of fun imo!!!

EDIT: you might have to lip sync to foreign langauges. you might have to dance. you might have to hire extras. all of these should add to the fun!

Game Design challenges

Well, here is an idea I had. At first it was meant to be a Smog column, but it might as well be a regular game here in Circus Maximus, and depending on the interest it generates it might evovle into something more "official" later.
On some sites, we can find game design challenges, which involve finding anything from simple game mechanics to fully fledged game concepts that meet the requirements given by the challenge's host. A winner, or a list of winners, is the selected in all the submissions. The host decides who wins based on criteria he has explained before the challenge.

I'd like to bring this kind of challenge to Smogon, maybe with someone else to co-host if I'm not known enough in the community (I am a game designer myself, however if you think someone else should host the challenge, it would be my pleasure). For each challenge, I'd present a situation, and explain the problem that the challengers will face. For example, I could ask to design a new way of catching Pokémons (keep in mind it wouldn't always be about Pokémon though). Each time, there would be requirements - in this case, it would have to take advantage of the DS's touchscreen capabilities, and optionnally of the DSi's camera, while keeping the different success rates for each type of Pokéball.

Everyone would be able to participate by sending me a PM or by answering in the challenge's thread (I'm not sure this is the best way to do it, but you get the point) with the full description of the solution they have found. When the deadline is reached, I'd list the winners, and I'd also explain why the problem was hard to solve, what were the traps to avoid, and then present the winner's solutions, explaining their flaws and strenghts.

Lip sync competition. It'll be along the lines of karaoke. I wanna know if there's enough people with webcams and willing to put in some effort. This will be a lot of fun imo!!!

EDIT: you might have to lip sync to foreign langauges. you might have to dance. you might have to hire extras. all of these should add to the fun!
I would totally be up for this. If not, what about Smogon Karaoke 2? We should expand the genres, maybe throw in duets (like you gotta film you and your partner on webcam doing a duet, like this but probably not as good.)

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Basically I PM'd Mekkah about this, who suggested I talk to Earthworm, who suggested I post here. Basically this would be a re-run of the Partners Mafia because I (and probably a few others) want to get into a Mafia without being out of our depth. Unfortunately, since I'd like to participate lol, this/these host(s) would have to do everything. I'd offer to write role PMs, but then again that might give me an unfair advantage in a way. Anyway, here is my original PM to Mekkah:

Hey Mekkah :D of course you won't know me but still.

I've been observing mafia games over the last week or so, and I'm really interested - it seems like you're the 'top cop' as it were when it comes to mafia so I thought I PM you with a small idea.

Why not, for people who want to play mafia but are quite confident enough yet, 'pair' two people together in a game? Just something like a more experienced mafia player talking the less experienced player through the decisions he/she makes so that the lesser gains some knowledge about how EXACTLY to play the game. They would of course have to be in similar time zones.

Thanks for your time, and I hope to get into a mafia game soon! ;)

~ Alch

Though it would go by a different name, how about a Treachery Mafia? Its name is from how the host, at the end, betrays the "guests" (players). It would require just a sign-up thread and the game thread.

No outside communication
No pasting Role PMs
No screenshots

30 Players:
2 Mafias of 5 each
-One killer
-One inspection blocker
-Three back-ups
-Win if all enemies killed
2 Wolves
-One kill every other night (one on odd, one on even)
-Last man standing
1 Village of 17
-Two doctors
-Two inspectors
-One mayor (vote = 2.5 votes)
-Wins if Host, wolves, and Mafias are dead
1 Host
-Normal duties
-3rd Wolf
-doesn't show up as a player
-Wins if everyone dies
-Can only kill if only one faction remains (except as part of normal duties)
-Cannot kill wolves (except as part of normal duties)
-Dies if the game is down to just one wolf.
-Can be lynched/targeted by any abilities
--If inspected, actual role PM pasted for all to see (overrides no pasting the role PM)

PM me if you're interested in this.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Took a break from writing games, want to do a new one; I have a few ideas in mind. Looking for a co-writer plus someone that is willing to run the game? Any takers?

Since my Mafia spinoff was ultimately rejected, with only one person actually joining, I am going to do one last attempt at a proposal. This time it's something comepletely different.
I present to you all: *drumroll*

What is in the box?

So, the game basically consists of one main "box holder" and a ton of other people trying to figure out what is in the box. Each player has two actions that he/ she is allowed to preform on the box, as well as a guess to what is in it.
  • Imagine that the box is an open box, but with the contents inside hidden by darkness.​
  • You can touch what is in there, smell it, shake it, ect.​
  • You may not ever see what is inside of it.​
To preform one of the two options you have avaible, you can send what you would like to do to the Box Holder. (i.e if you wanted to grab what was inside, you would say Action: grab item. Or if you wanted to guess, you would say Guess: "your guess")

To make the game more "interesting" there could be some slight variations on the rules.​
  • You could play with certain elements added to the box (i.e. steel, which you wouldn't be able to lift or shake, and metal objects would make a distinct "clink" sound when pushed againsed it)​
  • You could play with only certain actions allowed​
  • You could play with multiple items, or boxes.​
  • ect​
This game assumes there will be user collaberation. It is based around a trust system: users could tell you what they know, lie about it, or simply not tell you anything.

The game ends when one user guesses right. The first user to guess correctly wins.​

This game could be fun because it is easy to set up, but still has some depth to it's gameplay.​

Interested?
PM me. When and if 25 people are interested, I will request that I can host a example game with the intersted users.​

I am interested in hosting a game, and here is the idea, to see if people like it:

I will write some parts of songs in each round, and each player must identify at least one of those to be kept in the game.
Would that be a good idea?

There was actually a similar thing going on in IR a while back, a person wrote 3 lines of a song, the next player identified the song and posted his 3 lines, and so on. It died due to people just started to google the lyrics (and people saying new lines even when the old lines weren't answered). Unless you can prevent the googling part (lol), that game will be ruined.

I have this idea for a in-thread game. Ideally, this game would never end, but maybe I can do some sort of point-system every month...
Here's the basic idea:

RULES

• The aim of the game is to post some pictures that lead to a famous name, word or phrase.
  • The first person who guesses the correct answer and gets confirmation from the original poster of the challenge (unless the answer is obvious) can post the next picture challenge.
  • If no one correctly answers the challenge in 24 hours then the thread is open to anyone.

Example;

Dove + Inch + "e" + code = Davinci Code (famous book and movie)

Let me know what you guys think! PM me if you're interested.

- Notesalot

I have this idea for a in-thread game. Ideally, this game would never end, but maybe I can do some sort of point-system every month...
Here's the basic idea:

RULES

• The aim of the game is to post some pictures that lead to a famous name, word or phrase.
  • The first person who guesses the correct answer and gets confirmation from the original poster of the challenge (unless the answer is obvious) can post the next picture challenge.
  • If no one correctly answers the challenge in 24 hours then the thread is open to anyone.
Example;

Dove + Inch + "e" + code = Davinci Code (famous book and movie)

Let me know what you guys think! PM me if you're interested.

- Notesalot
I think that might be better suited to Firebot. However, it does look cool and might be a decent game to play/spectate/whatever.

I'm sorry for the double post, but...

I need a co-host for an upcoming Pokemon Lynchpin mafia game, approved by Earthworm. PM me if you are interested in co-hosting when Pokemon Lynchpin Mafia comes around. The time it comes around is not yet determined, but the sooner I find a co-host, the better. I already have the role names/powers set out, but not the role PMs themselves.

EDIT: Co-host found. polelover44.

I would like to propose a Chess Mafia, where each player corresponds to a piece on a board, and are given aliases corresponding to their piece. During the night, both white and black move at the same time. Each piece must move itself, however, and the team makes no moves if 2 people send in movement orders, so it is imperative that teams come to a move agreement. Pieces might also have cool night abilities. Captures where both sides move to the same square at night will be decided by chess piece-based priority and some type of other priority for the same piece, probably alternating team priority. During the day, it is revealed who, if anyone, was killed by the actions that the teams have made (the actual board is not revealed). There is also one lynch during the day where people decide on a person (smogon name, not chess piece alias) to kill. The winning team is the one that captures the opposing king.

If you see any problems with this idea please suggest revisions to me here, in PM, or on my message screen. It seems a bit complicated but I think it would be interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)