Project PU Matchmaking! SuMo Hiatus

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations to this week's winner, 5gen with his Simisear submission! The runner-up is RivalET's Swanna! Cacturne and Murkrow were also tied, but I asked the PU room and they chose Swanna, so congratulations to EnemyJurist and LJSchoppert as well for tying. This has been added to the archive.

This week we are looking at a very fun mon that has been gaining popularity in recent metagames: Sub Calm Mind Grumpig!

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

With this set, Grumpig is not only a decent check to common Pokemon in this metagame, such as Monferno and Rotom-F, but it is also a threatening set-up sweeper that can break through bulkier teams. As a result, it's a great glue mon for more balanced teams. Who will you pair with Sub CM Grumpig?

Submissions for partners ends Thursday.

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Facade

So Ninjask is basically a match made in heaven for Sub CM Grumpig, it lures in physically defensive mons and bug resists for grumpig to threaten and/or setup on, while also handling all opposing psychics that Grumpig can't hit neutrally, as well as pressuring opposing spdef walls that grumpig may struggle with.

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit

So this core is just gonna plough through all of your teams with sheer power! Stout uses pursuit on ghost types, or facades if burned hurts something. This helps grumpig later on allowing it to use focus blast, without having to worry about a ghost switching in. Grumpig also switches into monferno and hurts most steel types with focus blast, which helps Stout too.

Last edited:
U-Turn Monferno

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- U-Turn
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

Monferno offers great synergy with Grumpig, checking dark types such as Cacturne and Pawniard and common Knock Off users such as Leafeon. Monferno also lures in weak mons such as Prinplup, Clefairy and Stunfisk, and can grab momentum with U-Turn to allow Grumpig to set up Substitutes or boost up. As a result, Ferno is a better glue mon for balance than Ninjask would be (imo), offering more utility, bulk and better typing to assist Grumpig.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Toxic Spikes

Roselia makes a good partner with CM Grumpig mainly because it's one of the only users of Toxic Spikes which allow Grumpig to set up whilst the opponents pokemon are taking damage at the same time, this allows Grumpig to beat some of its checks a lot easier and as Grumpig threatens Poison types and Defog/Rapid Spin gives Grumpig a chance to set up, it's hard for the opponent to remove them. Hidden Power Fighting also hits Pawniard and other steel types so Grumpig doesn't have to rely on Focus Blast hitting. Lastly, Grumpig also has some type synergy due to the fact it can switch in and set up on most Fire and Ice types that threaten Roselia.

The Scarecrow and the Pig

While I tested the pig set, I found out how much pig hates bulky ghost such as Gourgeist-Super and Dusknoir more so than anything else. The thing that Grumpig hates the most is getting his sub destroyed by a shadow sneak and having to forcefully switch out after having those juicy calm mind boosts. This is where Murkrow comes in handy. Murkrow's great typing and offensive tools lets it trap or beat those ghoats 1v1 so that grumpig can rest in piece in his brick house. As an added bonus murkrow can also help trap psychics types that like to lurk around. As a reward for his services Grumpig provides with a nice ice resistance to take those ice beams directed towards the crow. All in all, I felt these two syngerize pretty well and can cover each other's weaknesses for the most part, thus making it easier for either one to wreck havoc in the opponents team.

Heat wave let's it beat gourgeist even when burned and I went with roost to add longetivive to be able to do his role more efficiently. Also, since his job is to trap I went with only 55 speed evs to outspeed the likes of cacturnes and max atk to pack a punch while the rest goes in HP to take some hits. LO for that extra kick.

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 197 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 55 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Heat Wave
- Pursuit
- Brave Bird
- Roost

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
time2vote! Due to the number of submissions this week, we're only going to vote for one submission. Choose your favorite partner for Sub CM Grumpig!

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Facade

So Ninjask is basically a match made in heaven for Sub CM Grumpig, it lures in physically defensive mons and bug resists for grumpig to threaten and/or setup on, while also handling all opposing psychics that Grumpig can't hit neutrally, as well as pressuring opposing spdef walls that grumpig may struggle with.

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit

So this core is just gonna plough through all of your teams with sheer power! Stout uses pursuit on ghost types, or facades if burned hurts something. This helps grumpig later on allowing it to use focus blast, without having to worry about a ghost switching in. Grumpig also switches into monferno and hurts most steel types with focus blast, which helps Stout too.
U-Turn Monferno

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- U-Turn
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

Monferno offers great synergy with Grumpig, checking dark types such as Cacturne and Pawniard and common Knock Off users such as Leafeon. Monferno also lures in weak mons such as Prinplup, Clefairy and Stunfisk, and can grab momentum with U-Turn to allow Grumpig to set up Substitutes or boost up. As a result, Ferno is a better glue mon for balance than Ninjask would be (imo), offering more utility, bulk and better typing to assist Grumpig.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Toxic Spikes

Roselia makes a good partner with CM Grumpig mainly because it's one of the only users of Toxic Spikes which allow Grumpig to set up whilst the opponents pokemon are taking damage at the same time, this allows Grumpig to beat some of its checks a lot easier and as Grumpig threatens Poison types and Defog/Rapid Spin gives Grumpig a chance to set up, it's hard for the opponent to remove them. Hidden Power Fighting also hits Pawniard and other steel types so Grumpig doesn't have to rely on Focus Blast hitting. Lastly, Grumpig also has some type synergy due to the fact it can switch in and set up on most Fire and Ice types that threaten Roselia.

While I tested the pig set, I found out how much pig hates bulky ghost such as Gourgeist-Super and Dusknoir more so than anything else. The thing that Grumpig hates the most is getting his sub destroyed by a shadow sneak and having to forcefully switch out after having those juicy calm mind boosts. This is where Murkrow comes in handy. Murkrow's great typing and offensive tools lets it trap or beat those ghoats 1v1 so that grumpig can rest in piece in his brick house. As an added bonus murkrow can also help trap psychics types that like to lurk around. As a reward for his services Grumpig provides with a nice ice resistance to take those ice beams directed towards the crow. All in all, I felt these two syngerize pretty well and can cover each other's weaknesses for the most part, thus making it easier for either one to wreck havoc in the opponents team.

Heat wave let's it beat gourgeist even when burned and I went with roost to add longetivive to be able to do his role more efficiently. Also, since his job is to trap I went with only 55 speed evs to outspeed the likes of cacturnes and max atk to pack a punch while the rest goes in HP to take some hits. LO for that extra kick.

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Lonely Nature
- Heat Wave
- Pursuit
- Brave Bird
- Roost
Voting Ends on Sunday, perhaps Monday or Late Saturday because I might be out Sunday.

RivalET and ninjask.
Mainly because monferno has to switch on when water types come in and then they can get a free toxic on grumpig which is horrible. Ik it's kinda the same story with ninjask but ninjask does more damage to them.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Lonely Nature
- Heat Wave
- Pursuit
- Brave Bird
- Roost
Quick thing, you shouldn't use an odd number of EVs - since you have 4 EVs totaling 1 stat point, they'll always be even numbered to prevent losing a few stat points here and there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)