Pyukumuku Discussion

it's like aegislash having 50 atk/spa in defense form, wildly arbitrary

at least balanced hackmon and almost any ability will have a new insta-destiny bond to play with

For anyone who's curious, these are the specs for Pyukumuku's signature move:

Purify

Poison/Status

BP: -- ACC: -- PP: 20

The user heals the target’s status condition. If the move succeeds, it also restores the user’s own HP.

For anyone who's curious, these are the specs for Pyukumuku's signature move:

Purify

Poison/Status

BP: -- ACC: -- PP: 20

The user heals the target’s status condition. If the move succeeds, it also restores the user’s own HP.
Unless is heals more than 50%, I can't see how this would ever be used over Recover.

It is obviously intended for double battles. Basically Aromatherapy for your ally and Recover for yourself in one attack.
Exactly. Too bad Pyukumuku doesn't get Follow Me, because it could run a mean VGC support set (it still might, but it does lack certain key utility moves).

Pyukumuku@Jaboca Berry
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Def
Gentle (+Sp. Def -Def)
Toxic
Recover
Substitute/Light Screen/Safeguard/Taunt
Baton Pass/Light Screen

Pyukumuku@Rowap Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Sp. Def
Lax (+Def -Sp. Def)
Toxic
Recover
Substitute/Reflect/Safeguard/Taunt
Baton Pass/Reflect

Speed EV is for using Toxic/Taunt against other Pyukumuku or Shuckle. (lol) Attack EVs or IVs aren't worth it on the Gentle Jaboca set since your attack is too awful to ever get OHKO'd with Foul Play anyway.

These seem to be the best sets Pyukumuku has, which aims to be a general support mon (screens, safeguards, taunts, slow passes or sub-passes) and wall against one damage type and a sweep-stopping suicider against the other. Even then, it can only really suicide against set-up sweepers (and one type at that) since little can OHKO it. Even then, it can only completely take out attackers that either let it poison them, or those that have a base health of 109 or lower and are uninvested. It could have some interesting applications if you custom-tailor its health EVs to handle specific targets that would gain the ability to OHKO it but still die to the lowered damage from its ability, but good luck getting consistency out of it.

Some calcs to show what it takes to take it down, and therefore what it can take down:
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku: 357-420 (113.6 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku: 297-349 (94.5 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku: 327-385 (104.1 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku: 398-468 (126.7 - 149%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku: 706-832 (224.8 - 264.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 244 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku: 322-381 (102.5 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku: 288-340 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

All of the above can be instantly killed by Gentle Jaboca Pyukumuku, with the exception of Garchomp if it has 12 HP EVs (8 would have been fine...) or more, and Mega Tyranitar unless you switch Pyukumuku in to take the hit, since Sandstorm damage will reduce the damage it can do.

Too lazy to run special examples for Lax Rowap Pyukumuku.

Last edited:
Wait, isn't Pyukumuku the joke species of Alola? That should explain why it has such a shallow movepool, despite having higher Attack than Wobbuffet and Shuckle combined. Every generation seems to have at least one of these, with the exception of Unova. Stunfisk was the closest to a humorous species in Gen 5, but it was competent.

I don't normally post but I'm surprised nobody has thought of something such as this being viable. Maybe it's a bit gimmicky?

Pyukumuku@Custap Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 108 Sp. Def / 4 Spe
Bold / Impish
Counter
Pain Split
Memento
Protect / Taunt / Toxic

So the idea is you want to be able to be bulky enough to barely survive one physical attack from major threats for Counter to go off. Next turn, Custap Berry Pain Split. Seeing as they might try to pick you off at this point with an attack, if they kill you thats another pokemon down to Pain Split + Innards Out Damage. Custap+Memento also allows you to alternatively create a set up opportunity for your next pokemon. Final slot is filler but may see use in some circumstances (scouting with Protect, badly poisoning a threat, taunting someone trying to set up, etc.)

Here are some Calcs to show what attacks this guy can tank and then KO the enemy with Counter. Take into account potential Stealth rocks damage on Pyukumuku (rapid spin/defog teammate really helps him out):

+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Pyukumuku: 232-274 (73.8 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed Counter OHKO
+2 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Pyukumuku: 195-229 (62.1 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed Counter OHKO with Stealth Rock support, 252 HP Gyarados can survive if it does absolute minimum damage (195-196 dmg)
+3 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Pyukumuku: 241-285 (76.7 - 90.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO Pyukumuku after Stealth Rock. Otherwise guaranteed Counter OHKO
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Pyukumuku: 220-261 (70 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed Counter OHKO
252+ Atk / 172 HP Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Pyukumuku: 174-205 (55.4 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed Counter OHKO After Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Pyukumuku: 463-546 (147.4 - 173.8%) -- guaranteed Innards Out KO After Azumarill's Belly Drum and Sitrus Berry
252 Atk / 0 HP Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Pyukumuku: 144-169 (45.8 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed Counter OHKO

Sorry if these are horrible calcs, I'm new to this. As long as they are doing at least half of their own HP in damage, it's a free kill. I'd suggest using Pain Split, Toxic or Protect on a predicted set up to catch the opponent off guard. Toxic might make them think this is a stall set. I guess tweaking the def evs based on what you want to be able to survive can be considered. With these EVs you will always survive something of a Swords Dance Mega Scizor calibre after Stealth Rock.

Sorry if i did anything in the wrong format.

Those calcs are pretty decent, and BOY is this thing tanky! It'd be a niche use for sure, but that really destroyed my expectations for what Pyukumuku would be able to take. Like when I was first shown calcs that M-Rayquaza can take an ice beam from M-Mewtwo Y, and OHKO in return (I mean, seriously WHO thought that was a good idea? M-Rayquaza is so broken that it bewilders me that it even got through testing), it really shifted my view. Hopefully when tutors come around we can get something like Explosion on this thing, and then all bets are off. Innards-Out Explosion would be terrifying (if really, really niche)

why do they have to nerf unaware the instant they give it to a pokemon I actually like

at least its support movepool will be fun to play around with, even if it's doomed to suck

Maybe it's a bit gimmicky?

Pyukumuku@Custap Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 108 Sp. Def / 4 Spe
Bold / Impish
Counter
Pain Split
Memento
Protect / Taunt / Toxic
It's not too bad of an idea. The problem is that counter requires you to bring it in unharmed against what it needs to counter in order to do its job. (i.e. you can't just switch it in) It's a neat gimmick though, and it doesn't require you to sacrifice Innards Out sacrificial suicides. (Just the berry, making it a bit less effective)

This thing worthless, period. There's literally no saving it. Why would you possibly run a support set with this pokemon when there are so many other Water-type pokemon who are so much better? Alomomola, for example, outclasses Pyukumuku in every single way imaginable. I guess its one relevant gimmicky is Z-Purify + Baton Pass, but then again Vaporeon can do this as well with Z-Celebration so...

A Counter set is cold garbage. All a pokemon needs to get around it is Substitute and boom: your Pyukumuku is useless and a set-up fodder once again.

Last edited:
It gets Unaware... but Unaware was changed to only have an effect when attacking and this thing has no actual damaging moves other than Counter moves. This is not okay.

It gets Unaware... but Unaware was changed to only have an effect when attacking and this thing has no actual damaging moves other than Counter moves. This is not okay.
Yeah, Unaware Counter!...Wait, that's not a thing that's useful

It is seriously ridiculous. Unless the in-game text is wrong, it has a pointless HA unless you go for All-Out Pummeling or Breakneck Blitz for some reason.

Ah well, at least Innards Out is decent.

With an 50 HP Base Stat... it's not. On something else it would be, but not on this thing.
Base 55 HP, actually, and given that you'd be running it with max HP investment, it would make for a helpful deterrent to Sweepers, as an OHKO would either mean death or a huge chunk being taken out of them.

To put things in perspective, Max HP Pyukumuku can OHKO any Mon with up to Base 86 HP, assuming they aren't running more than 4 EV's in HP.

Base 55 HP, actually, and given that you'd be running it with max HP investment, it would make for a helpful deterrent to Sweepers, as an OHKO would either mean death or a huge chunk being taken out of them.

To put things in perspective, Max HP Pyukumuku can OHKO any Mon with up to Base 86 HP, assuming they aren't running more than 4 EV's in HP.
You're assuming that anyone in their right state of mind will go for the 1HKO on Pyukumuku; they won't ( which shouldn't be even hard to accomplish as with its bulk, Pyukumuku should be able to tank a single neutral hit before going down; to its own dismay ). Specially because there's nothing Pyukumuku can punish them with other than maybe Toxic, or Counter if the sweeper in question is physical? But even then it's not uncommon for sweepers to run Substitute which straight up ruins the one and only gimmicky this pokemon has in Counter.

Innards Out is a bad ability because the pokemon it is exclusive to sucks and by proxy so does the ability. Like I said, on anything else that didn't suck this bad it would've been good. But as it stands, it's not.

Last edited:
You're assuming that anyone in their right state of mind will go for the 1HKO on Pyukumuku; they won't ( which shouldn't be even hard to accomplish as with its bulk, Pyukumuku should be able to tank a single neutral hit before going down; to its own dismay ). Specially because there's nothing Pyukumuku can punish them with other than maybe Toxic, or Counter if the sweeper in question is physical? But even then it's not uncommon for sweepers to run Substitute which straight up ruins the one and only gimmicky this pokemon has

Innards Out is a bad ability because the pokemon it is exclusive to sucks and by proxy so does the ability. Like I said, on anything else that didn't suck this bad it would've been good. But as it stands, it's not.
I think you missed my point. I said it was a deterrent, as any Pokemon who can OHKO Pyukumuku will think twice about doing so. That's what makes the Ability good; the fact that it will stop sweepers in their tracks. Also, if someone tries to whittle you down with weaker hits, Counter is there for them (if they're Physical, which I'll admit, is a big "if").

I'm not saying that Pyukumuku is instant OU or anything, just that Innards Out does exactly what it needs to for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)