Other Tiers RBY Random Battles Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I encountered the same issue in a tournament game the other day.

(recap)
Zam uses TWave vs. Jynx
Jynx is fully paralyzed

Zam uses SToss vs. Jynx
Jynx uses Lovely Kiss which connects

Zam switches out to Chansey
Jynx uses Counter which fails

Counter should have succeeded here.

- Counter misses if the opponent's last selected move's Base Power is 0. (Seismic Toss' BP != 0)
- Counter misses if the opponent's last selected move's type is not Normal or Fighting, or if the move is Counter (Seismic Toss type = Fighting)
- Counter misses if the last move used in the battle did no damage to its target. (Softboiled did no damage)

Isa

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
- Counter misses if the opponent's last selected move's Base Power is 0. (Seismic Toss' BP != 0)
- Counter misses if the opponent's last selected move's type is not Normal or Fighting, or if the move is Counter (Seismic Toss type = Fighting)
- Counter misses if the last move used in the battle did no damage to its target. (Softboiled did no damage)
Wait, does this mean that Sleep-countering is not a thing at all?

Actually, after cleaning things up a bit in the disassembly, I've found out that not every move clears the address where the damage is being kept track. In particular, any move that doesn't call GetDamageVarsForPlayerAttack won't touch that address. Any move whose effect is on this list will not reset the damage address:

Code:
ResidualEffects1: ; 3c000 (f:4000)
    db CONVERSION_EFFECT
    db HAZE_EFFECT
    db SWITCH_AND_TELEPORT_EFFECT
    db MIST_EFFECT
    db FOCUS_ENERGY_EFFECT
    db CONFUSION_EFFECT
    db HEAL_EFFECT
    db TRANSFORM_EFFECT
    db LIGHT_SCREEN_EFFECT
    db REFLECT_EFFECT
    db POISON_EFFECT
    db PARALYZE_EFFECT
    db SUBSTITUTE_EFFECT
    db MIMIC_EFFECT
    db LEECH_SEED_EFFECT
    db SPLASH_EFFECT
    db -1
https://github.com/iimarckus/pokered/blob/master/engine/battle/core.asm#L3163

So Counter misses if the last move used in the battle did no damage to its target would have to be redefined to Counter misses if the last move not in the ResidualEffects1 array used in the battle did no damage to its target

So, actually, Counter should've hit for 200 damage rather than missed. Any sleep move resets the damage though.

Isa Joim

Isa

So Sleepcountering is dead, got it. This will impact the way we play the game as Jynx now has very limited reason to run Counter.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Not necessarily; it's more to discourage Bslams in the inevitable para'd Jynx vs. Snorlax scenario. If anything, the lack of Bslam para for Normals does more to limit Counter's usage than Sleep Countering, which has always been a gimmick (albeit one of the most well-known and well-regarded ones).

At least Hyper Beam recharge wasn't actually resetting the damage address all along; that could have been scary :x

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Done. Also added a bunch of movesets. Tell me if there's tradeback illegalities, I've been using Smogon to get moves and it doesn't care about that I think.

Okay, I'm going to keep updating suggests about moveset problems:
-Victreebel needs Razor leaf as a stape
-Raichu needs Surf as a staple
-Exeggcute needs Psychic as a staple
-Tangela once received Growth with no special attack
-Magneton needs Thunderbolt as a staple
-Someone reported that Hypno only had Counter for a damaging move. Hypno should always have Psychic.
-edit: I just got a Charmeleon with Swords Dance and Slash

Also with the possible exceptions of Kadabra, Graveler, and Haunter all Not Fully Evolved Pokemon need to be higher than level 86.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm going to keep updating suggests about moveset problems:
-Victreebel needs Razor leaf as a stape
-Raichu needs Surf as a staple
-Exeggcute needs Psychic as a staple
-Tangela once received Growth with no special attack
-Magneton needs Thunderbolt as a staple
-Someone reported that Hypno only had Counter for a damaging move. Hypno should always have Psychic.

Also with the possible exceptions of Kadabra, Graveler, and Haunter all Not Fully Evolved Pokemon need to be higher than level 86.
Is it possible to have more than one mandatory/essential move? Just wondering (though eg psychic/recover/amnesia as mandatory moves on mewtwo might be a bit too much

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
There's still non-Dragon NFEs running around with Hyper Beam. I recently saw a Meowth running it.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
According to the analysis, submission since having a potential 2hko on Chansey is amazing (its a roll). Its kinda useless against the other normals though.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
mewtwo's biggest issue is usually other mewtwo and slowbro, I mean ye chansey too but idk. Noone runs submission in ubers nowadays

Also I kinda disagree with Dragon Rage on Magikarp.. that's a gen 2 event move; are we allowing Tradeback event moves in gen 1 randbats?
No, that's a Gen 1 move. It was distributed along the elusive University Magikarp card in June 1998 in Osaka.
It is, but since that event is exclusive to the Japanese games, which are incompatible with non-Japanese games (as are Gen II Japanese games), technically non-tradeback Dragon Rage Magikarp can only exist in the Japanese format. The Japanese format also has Blizzard with a 30% chance of freeze (except in Stadium, and the novelty battles in Yellow's Colosseum 2), Pay Day Fearow and Rapidash, and Fly Pikachu.

While most wrap/wrap-like moves have been removed, tangela can still get bind, and moltres fire spin. I'm not sure if this is accidental or intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)