SM Ubers Rate My Team - Balanced One Uber + OU/Other Non-Legendaries

Hi all! First time posting, here, but I've read all the rules and I hope that I've been diligent about my post. I'm trying to take on my FB Group's Pokemon League and they have a few tweaked rules. First off, they largely follow Smogon OU rules for challengers and gyms alike, with two major exceptions:

1) All trainers (gym leaders and challengers alike) are allowed one Uber on their team when battling. The rest must be OU and/or non-legendary.
2) All non-legendaries are permitted on the team even if they normally fall in the Uber category and even if you already have a legendary Uber on the team. E.g. Mega Salamence, Mega Metagross, Pheromosa, Mega Lucario, Mega Blaziken etc. are all allowed as part of OU play even if, say, you had an Uber like Mewtwo or Xerneas already on the team.

Some other caveats:
1) All trainers are allowed one mega evolution on their team
2) Primal Reversion does NOT count towards the mega evolution slot and may be used in conjunction with mega evolution

Now that you're familiar with my group's league rules, this is my team:

Groudon
@ Red Orb
Adamant
Desolate Land
252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 SPE
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
Description: I've generally loved Bulky Sweeper SR Groudon as my lead. It's pretty self-explanatory that Primal Groudon punches holes in a lot of things, even Z-Geomancy Xerneas and other defensive Primal Groudon variants. My moveset covers a lot of threats, though I don't seem to have a lot of use for Stone Edge in Ubers. I dunno. I might switch that move out with something else, but I might need it to deal with OU threats. Still unsure about that. But what I do know for right now is that I do struggle immensely with teams that carry Primal Kyogre though. Like...ugh. I hate it since more often than not on Showdown, Primal Kyogre's rain comes after Desolate Land and then I'm left with trying to tank whatever it launches at me. Not so terrible considering Toxapex and even Celesteela can tank, but it's still not fun having to waste Turn 1 with a switch. The rest of my team isn't really built to have answers to anti-leads or to have any other 'mon flex as a lead, so anything that Primal Groudon can't punch a hole in tends to be problematic. Teams that carry both Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre especially force me into choosing Primal Groudon as my lead because I don't have many ways of dealing with enemy Primal Groudon other than with my own and I'm reluctant to use Celesteela to tank in Turn 1 because fire coverage wll wreck her if they have it. I've done ok against other Primal Groudon leads using my own Primal Groudon, but some other definite threats I've faced for Primal Groudon are bulky Arceus variants and Arceus-Ground in particular. Choice Specs Latios, I learned recently, can also chunk Primal Groudon for a sizeable amount with Draco Meteor, massively reducing my early game sweeping potential. I'm not 100% sure if my EV's could be optimized better, but so far this build has served me well. I just need a way to answer these threats better than just using passive tanks.

Celesteela
@ Leftovers
Impish
Beast Boost
252 HP, 252 SPD, 4ATK
- Heavy Slam
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
Description: Specially Defensive Celesteela is a godsend for my team. I'm pretty happy with her and she's surpassed my wildest expectations when it comes to handling Uber-tier threats. I've worn down Mega Mewtwos, Xerneases, Extreme Killer Arceus, and even a few Kyurem Whites and Arceus Ground if I play it smart, despite not having super effective moves against them. Heavy Slam chunks most things pretty hard, Protect allows me to dodge some moves and gives me a turn to heal (especially when Leech Seed is up), and anything that's a steel type is also generally handled pretty well with Flamethrower. Most expect a Physically Defensive Celesteela and will go ham with their Special Sweepers, but I've been able to tank a lot of things effectively with her. With proper prediction and use of Protect, I can stall and heal up with Leftovers and Leech Seed. It does get annoying when I can't take out a 'mon that I've leech seeded because the opponents' switch does massively reduce my healing potential. (I can predict a good number of switches and I can opt to use one of my offensive moves, but there are times where I can't predict and I end up using Protect uselessly. But enh. What can you do, right?) I can wear down most things with Celesteela and she's been incredibly useful and great in wearing down a lot of threats. Beast Boost is especially useful when I knock out a 'mon and all I have left are Special Attackers to deal with, seeing as Beast Boost increases its Special Defense. It does get problematic though when the opponent's switch game is strong and/or has offensive coverage like Thunder or Fire Blast, even with a Beast Boost or two. Latios and Primal Kyogre are, once again, some of my prime threats for her when they carry Thunder. Primal Kyogre also still chunks her pretty well with an Ice Beam even if it isn't carrying Thunder. Xerneas after Geomancy can potentially be also problematic if Celesteela's low enough at around 67% HP. A +2 Moonblast will still rip into her pretty badly, if not outright KO her. Same goes for a +2 Stone Edge from Swords Dance Primal Groudon, even if it isn't carrying some fire type coverage. And other threats that carry fire type coverage are still problematic and I'm wary of switching into. It's not absolutely terrible if I have Leech Seed up or if it's fire type coverage from another wall, but it's still painful and requires smartly using Protect and getting Leech Seed on in the first place is still risky. I haven't faced Bulky Arceus Water, but I expect it's going to wall me pretty hard. Recently, a Bulky Arceus Dark that ran Recover gave me an extremely hard time and it took a lot of outplaying for me to poison it with Toxic from Toxapex, and I still had to wear it down with Celesteela. Overall, Celesteela's an amazing pick for my team, but she runs into some serious problems with electric and fire type coverage.

Toxapex
@ Black Sludge
Bold
Regenerator
252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 SPD
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic
- Recover
Description: Despite heavy physical defense investment, Toxapex also does just fine with tanking special attacks, especially against resisted Moonblasts, Ice Beams, and special fire-type coverage. Toxapex, in conjunction with Celesteela, form my defensive core. They've got amazing synergy and almost anything that Celesteela can't deal with, Toxapex can. The same applies vice versa, with Celesteela being immune to ground-type moves and resistant to psychic type moves that are used to dispose of Toxapex. Electric attacks from Xerneas, Primal Kyogre, Latios, and other Ubers still do pose a threat, but if I still have Primal Groudon, it's really not so bad. Most of the OU tier can't deal with it effectively, but it's definitely a lot harder to use it against Ubers because of their sheer power. It really can't handle boosted moves very well and while I do run Haze on it for OU threats, I don't have much opportunity to use it against Ubers. Oftentimes, Toxapex will have to come in on a boosted move and, while it can surive, Ubers are still strong enough to KO Toxapex even after I've reset their stats with Haze. Even if it miraculously survives the 2nd unboosted hit, Recover + Leftovers isn't always enough to save it. It stands a way better chance against Ubers if Leech Seed from Celesteela is up, but that's also not always the case. I definitely love having it around because it spreads toxic like crazy (which is pretty key in wearing down teams that run all Ubers) and, if I have to switch to a stall strategy, it's pretty essential to keep alive along with Celesteela. Still, its slow speed doesn't always guarantee getting a Recover off in time and I face problems with Latios and Primal Kyogre and pretty much anything that runs Earthquake/Earth Power, Psychic, or Thunder/Thunderbolt.

Kartana
@ Expert Belt
Jolly
Beast Boost
252 ATK, 4 DEF, 252 SPE
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Night Slash
Description: Kartana is my fast physical sweeper. Even though it's got a frail HP stat and an even frailer Special Defense stat that make it extremely vulnerable to getting KO'ed by pretty much any kind of special move, it's got a monstrous Attack stat and a very nice Defense stat + good typing that lets it switch into unboosted physical hits pretty well. Despite running Jolly, its Attack stat is what gets boosted by Beast Boost when it knocks out a 'mon, making it really easy for it to snowball out of control because of its amazing coverage and stellar speed. Because of its special frailty and it's poor HP stat, I'm a little more careful bringing it out and it tends to come out once its threats have been taken care of. Besides the obvious problem of having a 4x fire type weakness, in OU, Intimidate users can be annoying and anything that gets STAB with Earthquake or carries fighting type moves as coverage can still be problematic despite Kartana's great defense, chunking it significantly. Likewise, Ubers that can hit it for neutral on the physical side also have the potential to chunk it for more than half its HP. Celesteela's Leech Seed helps a ton with prolonging it on the field, but that only goes so far. If not boosted by Beast Boost, physical walls can also be somewhat of a hindrance, though I'll often switch to Toxapex to wear them down with Toxic and then switch back to either Celesteela or Kartana to net them a boost if that is the case. Despite all these potential threats, Kartana is amazing for the fact that its typing and great defense offer it a lot of opportunities to come onto the field and clean up weakened foes. And what it can't kill, it chunks very significantly before it dies, allowing Celesteela or Groudon to clean up the mess. It's also a stellar switch into things that threaten Toxapex, allowing Toxapex to spread its toxic and burns around much more easily. Smart Strike threatens unboosted Xerneas and between Leaf Blade and Sacred Sword, there are few things that can switch safely into Kartana outside of Ferrothorn and Dragon-type threats.

Before I go on, I'd like to say that I struggle with my last few choices. While I've found more success with MegaMence as my 5th choice, I've found it puts a lot of pressure on my 6th slot to have Electric coverage as well as needing coverage/resistances to Fighting and Dragon types. Either way, Ghost types like the likes of Mega Gengar and Giratina are still threats because I have no solid answer to them. Without Megamence, I've found that I'm somewhat vulnerable to Ground types as well.

Salamence
@ Salamencite
Jolly
252 ATK, 4 SPD, 4 SPE
- Dragon Dance/Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Facade/Double Edge
Description: When up against threats that I know are likely to poison or burn me, I run my Dragon Dance-Facade variant. Otherwise, I tend to prefer my Double Edge-Roost variant. Salamence, along with Toxapex and Kartana, form a REALLY solid core that I've used in Battle Spot Singles and in the Battle Tree. They answer a lot of each other's threats and with Celesteela in the mix, it's a pretty overwhelming core. MegaMence hits like a truck and between it and Kartana, can kill most things that threaten Toxapex. Toxapex, in turn, eats up ice and fire type moves for Kartana and MegaMence. I know that Dragon Dance-Double Edge is what's common, but Salamence takes a lot of recoil from it with no way to recover and I don't like not having recovery on such a high-recoil move. There is the option to run just plain old Facade, but I find it loses way too much power unless he's burned or poisoned, which is why I tend to run it with Dragon Dance if I have to do so. Megamence tends to run into problems with Primal Kyogre because it's not strong enough to OHKO it even after Stealth Rocks, while Primal Kyogre almost always carries Thunder or Ice Beam. Other threats are Xerneas (all builds) and Arceus Fairy, I find, as well as other bulky Arceus variants if I'm running the Roost set. There's not much else to say other than that MegaMence cleans house pretty well mid- to late-game.

Tapu Lele
@ Choice Specs
Timid
Psychic Surge
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Calm Mind/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball
Description: This is what I've been trying to run as my 6th slot, but honestly, she doesn't seem to do too well. Even with a Timid nature, she often fails to outspeed a lot of her threats from the Uber tier. I rarely ever play her until her threats are well and truly taken care of, and if I'm forced to play her earlier than that, it's pretty much GG anyway. I do sometimes play her to use Nature's Madness on a particularly bulky Uber, but that's about all the reason I have playing her early. I have problems checking Ghost types unless I run Shadow Ball, and even then, Mega Gengar still notably outspeeds her, so it's all for nought. T-Bolt is great for trying to check water types, but Primal Kyogre still manages to kill her before I can put a significant dent in it, so I have to play her carefully around it, making sure I can get the sweep if I choose to sacrifice her for it. If I don't run Calm Mind though, walls will pretty much...well, wall me. Ferrothorn and Scizor (and its Mega) are also things that can threaten her despite Psychic Terrain being up. I dunno. Not quite sure what to do here.

Some other options I've considered.
Kyurem-Black (instead of MegaMence)
@ Icium Z
- Fusion Bolt
- Freeze Shock
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
252 SPA, 252 SPE, 4 DEF
Description: While running Kyurem-B is possible alongside Ubers is possible due to the format of my group's league, I kinda hate using it. It eases up a lot of pressure on my 6th slot in terms of coverage, but it is so darned fragile with 5 notable weaknesses to common offensive types. Playing it mid-game safely is next to impossible, and I have to be willing to sacrifice it to get an edge, and I absolutely must take out something or it's not worth it. Thankfully, it does have great coverage and it's super useful facing OU threats but Ubers? Man, it is way tough. The number of Dragon type and Fairy type moves that litter the tier, as well as Steel and Fighting types make it almost not worth it. I've been playing it with Mega Gardevoir, but she's just as bad as Tapu Lele if she can't land her hits.

Gardevoir (instead of Tapu Lele)
@ Gardevoirite
Timid
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Hypervoice
- Shadow Ball
Description: Pretty much a similar moveset to Tapu Lele, but she gets to absorb special hits better. She's pretty garbage trying to take out Ubers though, which is the one thing Tapu Lele has over her thanks to Nature's Madness. But, she's arguably better for facing OU threats thanks to her sky-high special defense. Still, a lot of pressure is put on her to sweep late game and she's just too fragile on the physical side and way too slow for that. I absolutely need something to deal with Kyogres and bulky Dragons that have survived up to that point, but I don't know what.

Cresselia (instead of Tapu Lele)
@ Life Orb
Modest
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
252 HP, 252 SPA, 4 DEF
Description: Ugh. Don't even get me started on how awful this choice is. I know. But it's the only bulky thing I can think of that can run the coverage I need. I still get chewed up by Ghost types, I know. And I can answer a lot of Dragons pretty well with her, with Moonlight prolonging her longevity. But man, Arceus-Dark variants and anything that runs Shadow Claw pretty much rips her to shreds, even with Moonlight. And Primal Kyogre cuts down on Moonlight's healing too. So I'm still stumped.

So yeah. That's pretty much my team. Overall, the first four choices are solid. And if I run MegaMence, I've got ways to play around Ground types, but I don't have a particularly solid answer to them, especially Arceus-Ground and other Primal Groudon once my own has gone down. Ghost types are even worse, and I have to play around their secondary typings' weaknesses to land kills on them. Primal Kyogre is still my main threat to the team and while I have managed to kill it a few times, it's not without significant losses. I honestly don't know how to answer it without having another Uber or making sure Groudon comes in after it. Latios, as mentioned, is also kinda threatening to the team. So....any ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)