SM LC Rate My Team with Treecko

Pokeland dancing to this RMT

Hey Smogon and welcome to my first RMT ! It's a team I builded with my friend PyProd around Treecko, to see what it's able to accomplish in the tier. We hope you'll love it.

Teambuilding

As you know if you've read the first lines, I decided to build around Treecko. Treecko's array of moves, composed of a multi-hit Bullet Seed to break past Sashed and Sturdy mons, Drain Punch that offers coverage by touching the Steel-types, a boosting move in Swords Dance, in conjunction with the Unburden Ability indeed seemed very appealing to me, as it can turn Treecko into a fearable sweeper when well-supported.

So I decided to begin with some hazard setters to get along with my Treecko. Double grass may seem odd, but Ferroseed is the true switchin to Foongus' Spores, and the main tanking grass type, as Treecko is kinda frail for that role, weak to Sludge Bomb, and you kinda don't want to mess up your only chance to sweep or weaken the opponent's team. Ferroseed also brings in hazard control in form of Spikes, and speed control in form of Thunder Wave, that are greatly appreciated by Treecko for their ability to make harder the whole sweep-stopping thing. Mareanie is brought in as the fightcheck and Pony check, as I otherwise don't have any resist to Fighters' strong High Jump Kicks or Drain Punches, and Pony is hated by double grass. Mareanie also supports Treecko with Toxic Spikes or Knock Off. I opted for Knock Off as item removals are key to a sweep success, and Toxic Spikes are absorbed by common Foonguses / Mareanies / Hazard Removers. Hippopotas is the rocker of the team, bringing in an immunity to Volt Switches, as well as being a very bulky member too.

Then I added the greatest VoltTurn core in the world in form of Vullaby and Mienfoo. The former can, in conjunction with Hippo's Volt Switch-blocking ability, really annoy VoltTurn, as well as removing opponent's annoying hazards, and give Knock support to the lizard. It also can fire off strong Brave Birds that may be difficult to handle for a weakened team, or to weaken a team. Mienfoo also gives us Knock support, and, thanks to its Ability Regenerator and its pivot abilities, it allows us to bring mons to the terrain, like our Treecko, as well as letting it be the "overall tank-and-run mon".

[Now is the time that me, PyProd, am coming into your lives. As usual, DarkAlex asked me to take a look at the team, and, as you surely did, I noticed some flaws. I also noticed that while these flaws are present, the structure of the team seemed pretty nice. So here are the changes I asked DarkAlex to do :]

[To me, Hippopotas really wasn't the way to go as a SR Setter for this team. I first proposed Alex to run Onix, but I noticed that the team really wanted priorities. I also told to myself that another knocker would totally be fine, so one mon came to my mind : Tirtouga. Tirtouga's addition to the team was totally something, as it compresses both Hippo's role as a SR Setter, Mareanie's role as a Knocker, as well as bringing us some priorities and a Flying Check for our double grass to better handle threats. This nice addition also allowed us to free Mareanie's slot for a mon that's more useful.]

[The God Trapinch itself ! Trapinch, in conjuction with Tirtouga, allows us to handle Ponyta pretty well. On its own, it also traps Magnemite for Tirtouga, as well as Alolan-Grimer for Treecko. It can come in with Vullaby and Mienfoo's U-Turns, straight up benefits from all this Knock support, brings in priority. It just synergises so well with the whole team, that a word to describe said synergy doesn't even exist. It would just be something like "Supercoolofthedeathandstuffbutishouldntbethathypedbyjustasynergythoandbtwyoujustaregonnareadthenextline". Well, if that's the case, thank you for staying because I can be so annoying sometimes...]

In-Depth Analysis

Ok so, sorry PyProd, I'm taking back the mic for that part. [That's fine actually..]​

e. (Treecko) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
Level: 5
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Atk / 156 Def / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide​

Treecko is the core of the team revolving around it, the sun of the Treecko system.. Sort of. Treecko's combination of Berry Juice, Unburden and Swords Dance allows Treecko to have a one time setup by following this process : setup with Swords Dance, as enemy damages you. Then, since you got damaged, drink that pineapple-flavored Berry Juice. Without the burden of having an item, you can double your speed with Unburden, resulting in the lizard having both its Attack and its Speed doubled. Bullet Seed is the STAB, and is prefered as, unlike other Grass-type STABs, it's a multi-hit attack, which can break through Sashed and Sturdy mons, can have an easier time breaking through Weak Armor'd mons (not named Vullaby), and benefits from LC weird rolls that even the greatest scientist could have trouble to understand. Drain Punch is the coverage that'll let you take care of those pesky Steel-types, while healing you. Rock Slide can bop Vullaby, as we've found ourselves to prefer bopping Vullaby, but this slot can be replaced with Acrobatics, with its amazing offensive type and base power once you've drinked the juice.

Spikes Layers (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes​

[Ok, now I may not be a fan of double Grass archetypes, but I have to say that it fits this team pretty well. Ferroseed is our Foongus switchin, our speed controller that can cripple Vullaby in a pinch, sets Spikes which are greatly appreciated by Treecko to ease sweeps. Knock Off also is cool, as removing Eviolites from bulky mons is very helpful for Treecko to just break through bulkier mons. Bullet Seed becomes a strong attack when knocked mons decide to switch in. Ferroseed checks Foongus, Gasbra (if not HP Fire but since it's Evio it can live a hit, and btw we have Trapinch to beat Abra and the rest of the team to beat Gas), serves as a secondary emergency Flying check as Tirtouga is very easily worn down by the bird it's supposed to check. Ferroseed is like the big brother that helps you defeating those bullies that steal your lunch, and this spiky seed fits pretty well into that team.]

La Chancla (Tirtouga) @ Eviolite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 164 HP / 52 Atk / 92 Def / 156 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet​

Next mon comes from ancient times, when it was all god for our favourite turtle because it didn't have any bird to check. But now, on recent times, its help is sollicited as a Flying check that is sturdy, brings Knock support, Stealth Rocks and a priority into one mon ! This bulky boi can check Vullaby many times throughout a match, and setup his rocks pretty easily, helping to wear down foes. Stone Edge won't be that used, but it serves as a strong STAB option that can be used once Tirt's job is done. Knock Off is the best move in the metagame, having consequent utility, and as both Tirtouga and Ferro are Fighting type baits, they just scream for knocking. Aqua Jet is our priority, picking off weakened mons as well as softening an opposing sweep stop.

Trap boi (Trapinch) @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 156 HP / 36 Atk / 236 Def / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Feint
- Toxic​

[Next is my favourite trapper in LC, and another turtle (this team should be named TurtleSpam, don't you think Alex ?) This boi can take care of two of Treecko's nightmares in Alolan-Grimer and Ponyta (even if the latter can be hit by Rock Slide anyways). It also helps us check the strong GasBra core. Strong Earthquakes are the key to beat Treecko's checks, even to the point that Trapinch's presence should make them think twice about switching in to try to perform something. Rock Slide helps us wearing down Vullaby, which is another good foe Treecko has to account for. Feint is a super nice priority, going through Protects, and in some scenarios, it's more than needed. Not sure about why we run Toxic in the last slot though, but with Toxic Spikes not being on the team anymore and Vullaby being the ultimate threat for Treecko, I think Toxic is used as a good vibe and mean to wear Vullaby down throughout the match. Trapinch + Tirtouga is also a very nice mean to check Pony as even if one's lured or dies, the other can still handle the fire pony.]

mommy is a gr8 (Vullaby) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Def / 156 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog​

Now, fighting types High Jump Kicks just makes the whole team scream for a switchin. Gastly running rampant could be somewhat of a problem too, so there we just decided to run bulky Vullaby. One of the best mons in the tier will indeed be our answer to all of these problems. Now I see you coming "yeah Vullaby isn't a durable fighting answer !!" and you're totally right ! But, as the team is pretty offensively oriented, we don't need mons such as Spritzee on the team to our minds. Now, Vullaby brings us Speed control thanks to Weak Armor, has the ability to fir of strong Knock Offs and Brave Birds, weakening an opposing team before or after Treecko's sweep. Defog is a nice move, as we can't just allow hazards to be stacked on OUR side (remember Tirtouga being easily worn down). U-Turn is a very nice move : Vullaby's forced Flychecks bring-in stuff can allow us to take advantage of such switches, with either Ferroseed or Tirtouga setupping hazards, or Treecko proceeding to setup.

thx grxatxst (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Fake Out​

[Then, as another Knock Offer is welcomed, as well as a general glue, an additional priority user, another pivot, with the best typing of the metagame, why not give our last slot to LC's Superstar, as iconic as Bowser from Mario games, Santa to Winter, or even you as our favorite audience, Mienfoo !! This boy also can severly weaken teams, thanks to Knock Off, and a strong STAB in High Jump Kick, demolishing teams which don't have any resists. I really like 17 Speed Mienfoo, as it will only get the first Fake Out, allowing me to guess my opponent's set (you should really go back to 17 speed Foo guys, this is propaganda, or else I will RMT another crappy team lol just joking xd). U-Turn coupled with Regenerator makes Mienfoo a dream pivot to go along with our dream team, and is what makes Mienfoo the glue it is, and generally, the nice mon it's always been.]

Terminus ! Everyone goes down !

We wanted to thank you to have stayed in until the end, while enduring PyProd's absolute annoyingness, as well as his crappy English, since he's writing all the RMT. By the way, we hope you liked the RMT, and, if you have some advice, it will be as a pleasure that we will take it ! See you for another RMT, DarkAlex and PyProd out !

e. (Treecko) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Atk / 156 Def / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide

Trap boi (Trapinch) @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 156 HP / 36 Atk / 236 Def / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Feint
- Toxic

La Chancla (Tirtouga) @ Eviolite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 164 HP / 52 Atk / 92 Def / 156 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

mommy is a gr8 (Vullaby) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Def / 156 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Spikes Layers (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

thx grxatxst (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Fake Out

I used this music along with the creation of this RMT with PyProd:​

Last edited:

sister

Banned deucer.
Hey! Always wanted to give Treecko a try, seems like a really cool Pokemon.
I think I would consider switching Rock Slide back to Acrobatics. Rock Slide is pretty cool considering it kills Ponyta and has a 50/50 chance of killing Vullaby, but honestly you have Trapinch to trap Pony anyway. I feel like muscling passed Foongus and getting the OHKO on Gastly are much better for Treecko- as they are a bit harder to wear down imo. It would also improve your match up vs. opposing Mienfoos but a lot, since you are very Fighting weak. I played a few matches with this team on ladder and found myself wishing it had Acrobatics way more than I ever used Rock Slide.

And... yeah. Your team is very Fighting weak. I know you brush that aside because your team is 'offensive' but, it really isn't. It's pretty balanced and actually on the slower side. I think you could get a lot more mileage out of Spritzee over Ferroseed. You already have a rocker in Tirtouga. Losing another Knock Off source sucks but you already have 3 so it's not a huge deal and I think subbing Spikes for a Fight is a fair trade-off in this scenario. Spritzee is also (arguably) better at dealing with Vullaby. A set with Wish/Protect/Moon Blast/Psychic would probably be best, and can be a good lure for Gastly and hits Foongus relatively hard.

Also, I'd put Superpower over Toxic on Trapinch. Even at +2 Treecko can't OHKO Ferroesed, so being able to trap it and deal some damage is pretty useful.

Otherwise, I think your team does an alright job at supporting Treecko and I (hope) the changes I suggested make the team a little bit more consistent. Make sure you get those important Knock Offs on common bulky things like Mienfoo and Foongus. Treecko is a lot of fun and can set up on a surprisingly large amount of the metagame, even if it needs a lot of support to actually sweep. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your comment sister, I think we're surely gonna try these changes, as they seem very consistent. Spritzee still is a secondary flycheck and the fightcheck we all want on this team, Acrobatics to muscle through weakened Foongus seems appealing, and Superpower on Trapinch seems pretty great, yeah. So I think we're totally gonna discuss these changes with Alex.

Thanks for rating !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)