rb analyses need help

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, I agree that some of them are lacking in content, and since RBY is my fav gen (and I want to contribute) I will work on some of the ones that need work.

makiri

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Alright, I think if we can get some coordination going we can get this done rather quickly.

I tweaked Arbok a little! I will hold off doing anything else for now, but I can help with pokemon like Electabuzz, Tangela, Omastar, etc. that other people may not be familiar or eager to help with.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Vineon improved Ninetales a bit, I further improved by correcting some grammatical issues, tone, and separating stuff into paragraphs. Feel free to tell me if you feel anything needs improvement

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm taking a grammatical view. I'd prefer to work on those that have been completed and are totally up to date by the writers so that the grammar nitpicking isn't wasted in a random update. Or are the RB analyses all pretty sound from a tactical standpoint?

meeeeeeeeeeee

but i won't be able to help til tuesday cause i work 12 hour shifts over the weekend

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
The RB analyses are sound from a tactical viewpoint as far as I know. The focus is to fix them up so they read well.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
completely redid starmie and have been caching/minorly changing others' edits. I will be redoing other major pokemon with subpar analysis' when I find time, school is being bothersome.

chaos

Owner
so yeah, im trying out people with editing the venusaur analysis. can you all tell me what you think of this i just got in pm?

Here is my attempt at Venusaur:

Venusaur

Sleeper Leader
~ Razor Leaf
~ Sleep Powder
~ Swords Dance
~ Body Slam

As he is faster than the bog-standard Exeggutor lead, he can get a Sleep Powder in straight away and then, when they switch in (and with a bit of luck), paralyze the next Pokemon with Body Slam.

Razor Leaf can almost OHKO Starmie - with Razor Leaf's high critical chance a proper OHKO is not that unlikely. After a Swords Dance, he becomes quite a formidable attacking force with Body Slam - he can 2HKO Chansey and deal lots of damage to most lesser pokemon with Body Slam.

If the opponent allows their Exeggutor to sleep and they don't have a Gengar then this set has the potential to destroy entire teams - most of his counters are still scared of Body Slam with multiple Swords Dances.

Other Options

Hyper Beam can always work with Swords Dance, put it over Sleep Powder if you've got plenty of other sleepers, or over Razor Leaf if you think you can wear down Golem and Rhydon with something else and finish them with a Hyper Beam - although, of course, this leaves him vulnerable to the opponent's Sleep Powders. Growth could work in conjunction with Mega Drain, but it's not really recommended as Venusaur has much better things to do.

Opinion

Venusaur is fast enough (80 base speed) to outspeed Exeggutor and put it, and a lot of other slowish standards, to sleep. He can then do decent amounts of damage with either Razor Leaf or Body Slam. With one or two Swords Dances he can pose a threat to most pokemon and his defences aren't bad either - although his typing is not brilliant (four 2x weaknesses and one 4x weakness). Overall a pretty good Pokemon.

Counters

Gengar is immune to his boosted Body Slams and can switch in on a Hyper Beam and Hypnosis away - forcing you to switch out.

Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno are also good counters; they have super effective attacks (Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Drill Peck), are faster, and are resistant to Razor Leaf, although, like everything they need to be wary of boosted Hyper Beams.

Alakazam, Jynx and even Rhydon can counter to a lesser extent but he takes a good amount of damage from Earthquake, so try not to switch him into it too often.

Thanks.
Tim

Jackal

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the first sentence is pretty awkward but other than that its acceptable, not perfect but decent.

After a Swords Dance, he becomes quite a formidable attacking force with Body Slam - he can 2HKO Chansey and deal lots of damage to most lesser pokemon with Body Slam.
This is quite annoying to read.

with Razor Leaf's high critical chance a proper OHKO is not that unlikely
If my calculations below are correct, Venusaur can never OHKO Starmie with Razor Leaf.

298 attack vs 298 defense, 55 power(* 1.5 * 2 * 2), 323 max HP: 75.54% - 89.16%

Then again this is with DP's RN range, assuming a critical does exactly 2x damage (then again iirc it is even less) and assuming Razor Leaf is really 55 BP which I didn't bother checking.

Hyper Beam can always work with Swords Dance, put it over Sleep Powder if you've got plenty of other sleepers, or over Razor Leaf if you think you can wear down Golem and Rhydon with something else and finish them with a Hyper Beam
I'd put it over Body Slam sooner than any of these.

Alakazam, Jynx and even Rhydon can counter to a lesser extent but he takes a good amount of damage from Earthquake, so try not to switch him into it too often.
This sounds like Venusaur is using Earthquake on them, or these are using Earthquake on Venusaur which is only true in the case of Rhydon. I think that needs rewording.

Otherwise it's not that bad, but tbh not a very big improvement either.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Razor Leaf is 70 BP in RBY iirc...

It was in the old RBY archives...

Someone like Hip might know.

Have a nice day.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Razor Leaf is 70 BP in RBY iirc...

It was in the old RBY archives...
no its not.

It was 55 in rby as well, with the difference being it would almost always score a CH.

Also, it probably should mention somewhere that venusaur is easily the best pokemon to use against tobybro.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I don't really know what should be done, unless I'm just supposed to look through the list for unedited works that look generally sub-par.

One thing I'd like to see is sets that contain a filler slot with multiple move choices to always have it as the last "move" listed.

i.e.
[SET]
name: Lead Sleeper
move 1: Sleep Powder
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Mega Drain / Double-Edge / Stun Spore
move 4: Explosion

Mega/D-E/SS should be listed last, since the other three moves are basically set, rather than listing them third and Explosion being tucked under them kinda hidden. I dunno if you guys feel the same way, but it irritates me.

also zero told me not to mess with [SET COMMENTS] >:o

double-edit I did some work on Sandslash

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
no its not.

It was 55 in rby as well, with the difference being it would almost always score a CH.

Also, it probably should mention somewhere that venusaur is easily the best pokemon to use against tobybro.
Now I remember. That 70 BP thing was a NB glitch. Thanks Vinny.

I tried to fix up Charizard, as the opening paragraph was just atrocious. I do not know that I made it significantly better, but I tried to work with what was already there, since I have no real experience using it; if someone with experience using it would like to give it a go, please do.

Jackal

on a weeknight there is a very low chance that I will have enough time to really rehaul a poorly done one (I see several that need justice), but I will do my best to keep up with other peoples edits, and make sure they did a good job and cache them.

EDIT: fixed up zerowings golem edit for tonight

makiri

Did Golem, Victreebel, and Zapdos in the past 2 days, anyone is free to correct any spelling issues or anything they have problems with in general. I'd like to get 2 more done tonight, specifically Raichu and Jolteon.

EDIT got sidetracked but managed a good portion of both, didn't submit it to the scms though (have it saved on my computer)

EDIT EDIT: finished up raichu, im not satisfied with the set comments so anyone free can take a look at it

EDIT x3: Jolteon is done

I changed Jynx's analysis a whole lot, but I was not sure how to approach the opinion part...I mean, I feel that it is undervalued, and that the opinion really understates what can be done with Jynx. However, I also already greatly stated what it can effectively do in updating the Set Comments and Other Options...

makiri

Gonna do a bit of work on Hypno later on today, don't know if it will get done tonight since I'm gonna hit the sack early in anticipation of E 4 All.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)