RBY Cup VI - Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

1522641836503.png

Logo by MiniArchitect

RBY Cup Round 7

Tournament Rules:
  • General tournament rules and regulations can be found here.
  • Smogon Classic rules can be read here
  • Standard RBY OU
  • Best of three, single elimination.
  • Battles should take place on Pokemon Showdown!
  • Do not make baseless activity posts -- get in contact with your opponent and report missed times / scheduling issues only.
This is just a small snippet of the full rules, which one can find here!

Identity

About playing on alts: It is entirely allowed to play on an alt other than your own main forum name, though if your opponent wishes to confirm your identity, you must log on to your main alt to show them you are who you claim to be. This is to prevent people from pretending to be who they're not.

About playing on different servers: Tournament matches must be played on the Smogtours server. The Main PS! server is also acceptable if both parties agree to that. Other servers are not sanctioned by the TD team and playing in them might result in your game not counting. Protect yourself from that by playing in Smogtours, where we also have the power to recreate games that end due to DC's.

Scouting

On scouting opponents: Going through your opponents replays of tournament and ladder games is entirely allowed, as long as a game is public there is nothing preventing you from watching it. An exception to this is abusing powers granted to you by being staff on Smogon or PS! to gain access to information a normal user wouldn't have access to, which is strictly forbidden.

On leaking teams: Divulging private information about someone's planned team to their opponent is never allowed, and will be heavily sanctioned. Requesting that such information be divulged is also grounds for punishment. Keep your scouting to publicly available information and you'll be fine.

Timer Clause / Disconnections

On the Timer: The timer must stay on throughout the whole battle..

On Timeout losses: A player that loses by having all his time run out loses the game. This is only not the case if the player that received the timeout loss can be verified to have suffered a True Disconnection. Rematches are only allowed if there was a True Disconnection.

On True Disconnection: The TD team has a secret threshold of seconds that your timer must be at or above, from the moment you disconnect, for a timeout loss to be considered a True disconnection. If your game is determined to be a true disconnection if you played on Smogtours and contacted a TD before the room expired your game will be recreated up to the point the disconnect happened. It is the responsibility of the player that disconnected to get a TD into the room before it expires.

Battle Clauses:
  • Evasion Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Timed Battle
  • Freeze Clause
  • Dig/Fly Glitch Prevention Clause

Pairings:
ABR  vs  Nails
Hipmonlee  vs  Ortheore
SMB  vs  BIHI

Good luck to everyone participating. Please contact your opponents and schedule in a timely fashion.
Feel free to contact me here on smogon or on discord as FriendOfMrGolem120#4448 if you have any questions or concerns.
Apologies for not getting the round up sooner.

Deadline for round 7 will be May 31st at 11:59pm GMT-4.

Last edited:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
ABR (55) vs (45) Nails

Perhaps a controversial prediction, but I've been told ABR picked up Troller's teachings during last CPL, and if Troller's teachings can turn me into a viable player, they've probably turned ABR into the second best RBYer on the planet. That said, even if that was the case Nails would comfortably be the third best, so this should be a very close set. Assuming ABR will be working with the master to prepare this game, I give him a small edge. Should be a fantastic set.

Hipmonlee (60) vs (40) Ortheore

I've been very happy to see these two players go deep because they've been around for a while and gotten called all sorts of things by non-mainers who don't understand jack shit about this tier, while they've actually been alright all along. Hipmonlee has been a clear step ahead of Ortheore over the last year or two but the latter's form has improved dramatically throughout this tournament and we should see a reasonably close set here. I hope to see the good show that I know these two can put up.

SMB (75) vs (25) BIHI

SMB is easily SPL quality in RBY in my eyes and BIHI is not quite there. I think BIHI is good, but at this stage of the competition you need to be better than good. I do think there's an off chance of an upset because I feel like SMB's meta reads aren't as complete as they could be (Vic Don in 2020???), but I don't know if BIHI knows how to exploit that sort of weakness.

Last edited:
5/6 last week, guess I shouldve tried to help lasse harder n_n

ABR  vs  Nails - ABR is really super good in RBY already, he easily dispatched PDC despite my halfassed attempt to help him prep. I hyped up SMB in my last predictions post but he looked a lot more shaky, while I honestly haven't yet caught a single big mistake in any of the ABR games I've watched live. But it's Nails. I think his more 'fuck it imma fish' RBY mentality leans towards better results than Troller's or mine approach due to playing the odds more in a straight bo3 every single week in RBY Cup. The fact he backs this mentality up with almost flawless playing and a more varied playstyle in the builder and in the games itself makes it hard to prep and to make hard reads. McMeghan came admittedly very close even though he got frozen early in g3, so don't be surprised if ABR does it. My money's still on Nails though.

Hipmonlee  vs  Ortheore - alright I took a look at Ortheore's run so far. Activity r1, win vs kit10 r2 (unspecified amount of games), win vs Pohjis r3 (3 games), activity r4, win vs ilesaurel r5 (2 games), win vs We Three Kings r6 (3 games). No clue how the games vs kit10 and ilesaurel were, but Ortheore got 3 freezes in the 4 games he won vs Pohjis and We Three Kings. The freezes were respectively 1st try, 2nd try and 1st try again LOL. I guess he's good enough to win games while having a mon advantage, but nothing about Ortheore's run has been remotely impressive. The most notable thing about is the fact he ran Flash Chansey vs Pohjis. Yes, you read that correctly: Flash, the move with 75% accuracy to drop your accuracy. That's about the 11th best move possible on Chansey, below Blizzard AND Thunder. At least he retired the set. Hipmonlee meanwhile has played some great RBY and delivered again in a great set last round and has never brought dogshit at the level of Flash Chansey. Huge edge, as they say.

SMB  vs  BIHI - I am very aware I hyped up SMB a ton in my last predictions post, but I can't do it. I can't bold someone who brings Substitute/Blizzard/Tbolt/Confuse Ray Lapras. Dear god, did he have a stroke in the teambuilder? Did he forget Sub mechanics completely? Does he have a mental breakdown from playing too much RBY? Apart from that, he made so many questionable plays during the series as well. Not clicking Recover with Zam at the end in g1 and going for a roll that was definitely not in his favor was exceptionally strange. He got super lucky game 3 to even reach this round. In his credit, he found a way to win the series and immediately won for RBY Seasonal afterwards which qualifies him for finals, so the consistency is definitely there. BIHI is still more of an unknown factor mostly because I keep missing his series. Scrolling through last round's replays vs bro fist, he looked impatient and got very lucky with freezes, but at least his plays made a little more sense.

Last edited:
Gotta post this now since ABR and Nails playing some no johns shit so here we go

ABR (45) vs (55) Nails

ABR is an extremely powerful Pokemon player in almost every regard, however I have been extremely impressed in Nails ability to produce wins in this past year and a half. I think that if what TiN said is true, ABR has had some top tier training in RBY, but I've seen him play RBY before CPL was a thing, and he's been solid in classic before this year. I do think this matchup could come down to some "OmG ThIS iS WHy I doNt plAY RBY" shit but honestly there will be a fair share of nice doubles to Tauros/Lax on the weak mons or something of the like. I think both will even bring unique teams and be representative of their personal opinions on the metagame. With all this being said, I still want to favor Nails on the basis that he has been one of the top RBY players in recent times, but I don't want to discredit ABR who is a top player in general. And I am a little biased, since I do want Nails to make it to finals, but I've been saying this for the past two rounds.

Hipmonlee (53) vs (47) Ortheore

First I want to say something similar to TiN. Seeing these two mates this deep into RBY Cup makes me extremely happy. Hipmonlee came back after I joined the RBY scene, but I'm very fond of him as a person, and I'm very glad to see him proving wrong those who deemed him crust in SPL. This man's individual performances since have been nothing but impressive and I must give him credit when he doesn't bring Poliwrath or the likes. Ortheore was one of the main guys when I joined the scene and I still remember some shit that happened, so it's amazing that he's back and doing well. I have to favor Hip, having played him more and seen more from him. However, I think the matchup is honestly generally close. Although Orth was given some lucky breaks in his set vs. Lasse, I think he's playing some clinical RBY that Hipmonlee can also play. This is 100% an awesome OG matchup that makes me a little sad because I wanted them in finals together. Hoping for a great series, and maybe if both bring shitty tech in the same game I won't be as dissapointed.

SMB (60) vs (40) BIHI

I remember the first time I ever played SMB in RBY, I believe it was for either New Origin Premier League or Mix League, and the game was super intense and came down to freezes on both sides a timely Lax crit from my end if I'm not mistaken. I think since then, SMB has done nothing but fucking level up to absurdly dominant levels in an array of tiers, not just doubles. I've played him quite a bit recently in non-RBY tiers and I have to say his ability to read the opponent and bring solid teams is at a very high level right now (or maybe I'm just bad but trust me). He is playing like he fucking means it and he's probably the one I'd be most afraid of playing at the moment. BIHI on the other end is your classic, well, classic contender and I think he himself plays some robotic and clinical RBY and generally makes the standard proven plays. The one thing I would like to point out--and I've been saying this forever--is that Victreebel is a liability. Stop bringing Vic guys, please, stop it. But like I said, BIHI plays some 2018 RBY if you know what I mean. Additionally, he's fighting for a classic playoff spot so I expect him to bring his A game. SMB though, this man is hot, and I expect a powerful showing from him, so he should be ready for BIHI to fight back. I don't expect either of these guys to bring some Nails-esque teams, but they will certainly be solid picks. I don't think it's as one sided as TiN believes but I think it's surely in SMB's favor.

Last edited:
wtf Flash Chansey is legit lol

For real though, it didn't fulfill the role I had in mind for it, but it's actually not bad in stallwars where both sides are playing passively and basically waiting for the opponent to do something exploitable... which is a situation Chansey finds itself in fairly often. It becomes even more effective lategame where there's less room to manoeuvre and switches become more costly. The issue is that its payoff is low compared to its shitty accuracy, so if you're in a situation where the opponent can seriously threaten you (or freeze you, as happened in my match vs Pohjis), it's not worth it, but even with that steep drawback there's a reasonable amount of use for it. Definitely better than Blizz/Thunder.

edit: to elaborate further, it's not good by any means, but it's a usable gimmick. One of the perks to the move is that it is never useless (assuming it hits). By contrast, all of its status and attacking moves frequently find themselves ineffectual against whatever is switching in. That's one thing that's refreshing about the move

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)