Tournaments RBYPL IV - Format Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quarante8

RoAPL Champion
RBY randoms is a very very strong community and I think it would enhance the tournament. I would not mind x3 OU x1 Ubers-PU x1 Bo3 or Bo5 rands. It's unusual for a PL but the community is there - gen1rands is both bigger than most other oldgen rands, and bigger than most if not all RBY lowtiers.
If rands isn't in, 4th OU and call it a day. tradebacks/stadium are pretty unserious/nonexistent communities

8 slots seems like an easy call. 6 teams also seems like an easy call.
Proposal C from this thread I just made? Pretty please? There's no reason for 6-team PLs to suck as much as they do, just put in a bit of effort to fix the format.

edit: oh and consider making one of the OU slots Bo5? i think it'd be fun
I agree w pretty much everything said here, 3 ou/rands/ubers/uu/nu/pu seems like a really perfect format, esp if one of the OU is bo5.

If you want to make it 10 slots, 4 regular OU, one bo5 OU and all of the above seems real fine to me.

Please make this happen, would be lovely :D

IMO would like to see 6 teams x 8 slots:
OU
OU
OU
Triple Threat OU or whatever it is called (TradeBacks + Stadium + Traditional OU BO3)
Ubers
UU
NU
PU
So all Lower Tiers will get showing (btw Rands belongs to Other Tiers in this forums)
Truely Stadium and Tradebacks don't have serious enough communities but a little bit showing in RBYPL will help development for those 2 tiers and it will not affect much. Additionally 3 OUs is pretty standard for Generation Centric team tours and with a Triple Threat OU (RBY unique feature) it sounds like a fresh idea here.
For Triple OU BO3 just force playing TradeBacks and Stadium for first 2 games, if tie then Handheld OU. In this way TB and Stad will get enough showing.
If we go 10 Slots then plus Rands. Replace 1 OU with Triple OU could be considered still.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With manager signups going up this Sunday I want to reiterate that I think the ideal format here is

5x OU
1x Ubers
1x UU
1x NU
1x PU
1x RandBats (bo5)

I don't think this causes "artificial bloat." RBYWC proved we can get plenty of OU signups, and the lower tier playerbase, while having a bunch of overlap, is stronger than ever. Adding Randbats to round it out for an even number of slots is great and will bring a lot of talented players in. The only thing that I can think of that I would change is to possibly make one of the OU slots Bo5 OU. There'd only be 6 weekly players and it's a lot to ask to prep for that many games, but I think if we send out an informal poll during manager/player signups we should be able to get an idea of whether it's doable or not.

This is all assuming 6 slots is locked in with the Amaranth/Belgian Proposal C.

My only concern is 5x OU seems like a lot to handle for a manager. That's a lot of teams and opponents to provide advice for.
As a player, it doesn't matter and more slots is great.
So I think it makes sense to poll the managers to decide 3xOU or 5xOU (each scenario plus one slot each Ubers/UU/NU/PU/rands).

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My only concern is 5x OU seems like a lot to handle for a manager. That's a lot of teams and opponents to provide advice for.
As a player, it doesn't matter and more slots is great.
So I think it makes sense to poll the managers to decide 3xOU or 5xOU (each scenario plus one slot each Ubers/UU/NU/PU/rands).
seems fine to me to select managers and then hold a vote once player signups are in and we have an idea of how many OU players will be there

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
  • 6 teams using the Proposal C: Belgian Pro League Format idea from the linked thread.
  • 8 or 10 slots. OU/OU/OU/OU/Ubers/UU/NU are guaranteed. The remaining 2-4 slots will be either OU/PU/Random Battles. One OU slot may be Bo5. All variables depend on player signups and manager/host discussion.
  • Teams may either self-buy one manager for 15k or both managers for 20k each. Teams will be allowed three total manager self-buys or retains. With such a vast change in format, retains will not be tier locked to tiers they signed up for in the previous edition. Starting in next edition (assuming a very similar format), retains will be tier locked to tiers they signed up for in the previous edition.
Thank you for your discussion. Manager signups are coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)