Red Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wont like this item if it is multi use. Otherwise something bulky or hard would enjoy using it coupled with entry hazards...

"If something is too good to be true then it probably is." I think this is the case with Red Card, as well as Aiming Mark (or Bull's Eye or whatever it's called). I just can't see these items as being multi-use. It would be way too game breaking. I think (or hope) that Gamefreak has the sense not to make items that good.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
use it to force rotom or whatever to switch against tyranitar so a full-powered pursuit is guaranteed

If this is a multi-use item, perhaps Skarmory could throw in a usable Swords Dance set while holding it. Maybe something like this...

Skarmory
Adamamant/Impish
-Swords Dance
-Drill Peck/Brave Bird
-Spikes/Night Slash/Pursuit
-Roost

Or if Swampert had it, a Curse set...

Swampert
Careful
-Curse
-Earthquake
-Waterfall/Ice Punch/Stone Edge
-Rest

Azure Demon

This shit seems like it will be overly broken if it is multiuse and placed on a pokemon that's bulky and has reliable recovery like milotic. This also opens up huge chances for tanks to set up and start wrecking things

baton pass team is so gonna like it if it can activate when substitute receives damage.

just a silly thought, i wonder will someone bring 2 fake-out users to annoy the enemy holding red card lol

baton pass team is so gonna like it if it can activate when substitute receives damage.

just a silly thought, i wonder will someone bring 2 fake-out users to annoy the enemy holding red card lol
Even then stealth *ocks will damage the two pokemon.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Part of me thinks one of the overlooked nerfs this item might be receiving is that the opponent will be able to select what they can switch in, just like you can when you receive a red card while playing a sport. Your coach substitutes another player from the bench specifically, they aren't chosen at random. If that's the case, it'll be slightly easier for your opponent to adapt to your strategy, and not really like Roar or Whirlwind at all.

If this was already known then my apologies, it was just a thought I had after reading a few of the replies in this thread.

Part of me thinks one of the overlooked nerfs this item might be receiving is that the opponent will be able to select what they can switch in, just like you can when you receive a red card while playing a sport. Your coach substitutes another player from the bench specifically, they aren't chosen at random. If that's the case, it'll be slightly easier for your opponent to adapt to your strategy, and not really like Roar or Whirlwind at all.

If this was already known then my apologies, it was just a thought I had after reading a few of the replies in this thread.
while this makes things somewhat less annoying, it doesn't really help if you already had out your best counter to the pokemon

...recycle? :D Perhaps stick this item on Spiritomb, and recycle away! Pressure will eat at their PP, you'll be stalling and pain splitting perfectly healthy pokemon, and their pokemon can only hit you at least once and your in no danger of being OHKOed cuz u lack a weakness. Entry hazards will also be chipping away at them as well.

You don't replace someone who receives a red card. You remain down a player for the rest of the match. :P EDIT: (Except in volleyball, apparently.)

I can't see this feasibly being multi-use. It would be way overpowered. Put it on something bulky with a recovery move and you can rack up intense entry hazard damage. Even if you can select the Pokémon that comes in it will be like an nasty form of Torment. You can only bring in the best counter to the Red Card mon every other turn. You better make sure you keep your Taunt user alive until you kill the Red Card mon. I also don't see how it would be a bad idea to have multiple Red Card users on the same team. Pair it with Shandera (whatever that Shadow Tag spinblocker is called.) and hazards are guaranteed to be down.

Do we know if this is an immediate switch (like U-turn), or if it simply locks you in to "switch" for the next turn, similar to a Taunt or Choice Item effect? If it's the latter, the item is much more powerful because it gives you free turns. Pokemon that need a single turn of setup but have a hard time getting it could become much better. For example, Infernape's non-boosting sets are more popular than the ones with Nasty Plot or Swords Dance, largely because Infernape is so frail and doesn't have many resistances. If Infernape could switch in to a predicted non-OHKOing move and have a built-in free turn to set up, it could be worth running even a one-time-use Red Card in place of Life Orb.

I think the obvious is being missed: It's called a Red Card, right? The most common reason in sports for receiving a Red Card is through illegal contact. Most likely that's what this item will do - force a switch if the opponent uses a contact move.

Pity.

Do we know if this is an immediate switch (like U-turn), or if it simply locks you in to "switch" for the next turn, similar to a Taunt or Choice Item effect? If it's the latter, the item is much more powerful because it gives you free turns. Pokemon that need a single turn of setup but have a hard time getting it could become much better. For example, Infernape's non-boosting sets are more popular than the ones with Nasty Plot or Swords Dance, largely because Infernape is so frail and doesn't have many resistances. If Infernape could switch in to a predicted non-OHKOing move and have a built-in free turn to set up, it could be worth running even a one-time-use Red Card in place of Life Orb.
This. I think this item could be amazingly useful and versatile offensively and defensively, one-time use or not, if it works in the second manner mentioned. Hell it might even even have some use with Trick, as it could potentially save you from Shadow Tag pokes, while simultaneously taking their item (assuming that said ST poke can't OHKO you and you outspeed it, or of course). (Bad) Example: Trick Red Card onto Shandera, Shandera loses useful item. Next turn, attack Shandera, you're "forced" out, letting you bring in a counter without losing a pokemon of your own, albeit probably heavily damaged. I know that example is a stretch as we still have no idea how these things interact, but I see great potential.

You could use this so easily on something that can only take one hit from a counter especially a set up guy so he's ready when they come back in.

If they don't get to choose what they send in stall will have a party. If they do.... not so much, but its still good. If its 1 use no matter what it is pretty awful. (except for the sturdy poke as a last ditch stopper.)

I can see Shuckle using this along with hazards to spread Poison around and just be a general annoyance finally one of my favorites might have more uses....and just hoping nothing hits it too hard.......and maybe acupressure the possibilities are endless with this item

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)