ORAS LC Reminiscence

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place

Introduction

**Hello! This is a team that I based off of The Avalanches Elekid team, and it has served me very well throughout my LC career. In my opinion, Elekid is an extremely underused threat in the LC metagame, and this team showcases how powerful of a threat it is. When I first started using this team, I had just came back from a 6 month break from Smogon and was really really rusty. This is the team that I used to relearn LC, and has stayed surprisingly consistent throughout most of ORAS. This is probably the team that I have used the most throughout this generation, and I will remember it with fondness moving on to Sun and Moon. Hope you all enjoy this RMT! (also listen to the music while reading this) **

Teambuilding Process

**Elekid is a underused threat and super fun =)**

**Most teams need a Pawniard check and Mienfoo is just super good. Regenerator is a useful ability that allows you to live for a long time, and Knock Off spam helps Elekid.**

**Pawniard is also super good, and adds more Knock Off spam to the team. Pawniard also brings hazards to this team which is always useful. **

**Snubbull is a great fighting check, and is also super cute! Intimidate is also an insanely useful ability that allows you to stop some sweeps. **

**Staryu brings hazard removal that also brings Scald spam which is annoying to everyone. Staryu itself helps beat fire types such as Ponyta which can be really annoying. **

**Foongus is a secondary fighting check, and also forms a Regencore with Mienfoo. Also acts a water spam check which can be quite annoying to this team. **

The Team

Elekid @ Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 9 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Grass]
**Elekid is an amazing cleaner that was never really used too much this generation. Its high speed allows it to outspeed pretty much everything else and dish out a lot of damage. Vital Spirit may seem like an odd choice at first, but it allows you to usually get a free switch in on Foongus which typically Spores whenever it can. Psychic 2HKO's Foongus, so if it is weakened you can get rid of a dangerous threat or gain momentum by Volt Switching out on what your opponent switches in. Thunderbolt is just used as a STAB move that hits super hard and nearly OHKO's even some resists. Hidden Power Grass is used to hit Chinchou which can be very irritating to Elekid and this team in general. Hidden Power Grass 2HKO's most variants of Chinchou, and worst case scenario is that you pop Chinchou's Berry Juice and they are back to full health. Overall this is my favorite Elekid set because it does so much damage, and some people don't really expect it. **

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Taunt
**Mienfoo is used on a lot of teams for good reason. Mienfoo is here in particular to check Pawniard and to provide Knock Off support for the Elekid clean up. Drain Punch is just a useful STAB move that allows you to heal back more health along with Regenerator, and U turn is a good way to gain momentum and do some chip damage. I prefer Taunt on Mienfoo over moves such as Stone Edge and High Jump Kick because it allows me to stop my opponent from getting Hazards up and from setting up on me. The amount of Shell Smashes I have stopped thanks to Taunt has probably saved so many of my games. Mienfoo is really needed to beat Pawniard, so be careful with it and make sure that it does not get too low. **

Pawniard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Brick Break
- Stealth Rock
**Pawniard is run here because STAB Knock Off is really good and does a lot of damage, and also allows for Elekid to clean up teams easier. When I built this team I was running Scarf Pawniard on every team because I didn't like the fact that Pawniard only had 16 speed(lol). I have since passed that phase of running only Scarf Pawniard, but it still fits nicely on this team and I have decided to keep it. Iron Head is just good STAB that is run on every Pawniard set, and it also 2HKO's Mienfoo after a knock off which means that Mienfoo has to be careful when switching in on this. Brick Break is just used to surprise opponents because Pursuit is usually run over this. I personally find that you almost never need to use Pursuit, so I just use Brick Break which can at least hit other Pawniards. Stealth Rock may seem like an odd choice, but you find that there will be a lot of turns where attacking won't really do anything. Once you play with Scarf Pawniard a bit, you find opportunities to get free Stealth Rocks up. Make sure that you keep this healthy if they have a Shellder because usually this will be your only check for it. **

Snubbull @ Berry Juice
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thief
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
**Snubbull is the first fighting check on this team that also slows down scarfers and other faster mons to allow Elekid to outspeed them. Intimidate is an insanely useful ability that has saved my ass on more than one occasion, and its ability to stop certain sweeps is really useful. Thief is a move that allows you to nab another Berry Juice or an Eviolite after you have popped your own Berry Juice which allows for it to survive longer. Play Rough is just physical STAB that hits most fighting types such as Mienfoo and Timburr, and dark types such as Vullaby and Carvahna (or both like Scraggy). Earthquake is nice to attempt to lure in pokemon such as Chinchou, Magnemite, and Skrelp which all are quite annoying to this team. Thunder Wave is to attempt to cripple or slow down mons that enjoy switching into Snubull such as Pawniard. Make sure that you don't sack this if Foongus is dead. **

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Psychic
- Recover
**Staryu acts as a defensive spinner that hopes to get lucky burns. Hazards can get rather annoying, and they are deadly for Elekid which is already quite frail and doesn't want to take any extra damage. Staryu can reliably get in often and spin away any hazards that are there. Natural Cure is nice because you can switch into Scalds without much trouble, and you can also Recover any damage that you take. Psychic is run to deal with poison types and Timburr which enjoys switching in on its Scalds. Scald is just a useful move that can cripple mons and should really be banned =p. One thing to note while playing with this is that it is not the bulkiest of "defensive" mons out there, so be careful. **

Foongus @ Eviolite
EVs: 124 HP / 160 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
**Foongus acts as a secondary fight check and a Chinchou/water spam check. Spore is just a super useful move that you usually just spam if they have Vullaby. Giga Drain is a STAB move that helps you recover more health and live longer. Sludge Bomb is used to hit birds such as Vullaby that resist Giga Drain and to hopefully poison something. Hidden Power Fire is run over Hidden Power Fight because Ferrothorn is more annoying to this team than Pawniard is, and Hidden Power Fire still hits Pawniard super effectively. If Snubbull is dead, be careful and make sure to not sack this mon. **

Threats to this team
+

**Abra and Gastly are both rather large threats to this team because whenever they come in, they can pretty much nab a kill or do large amounts of damage. Usually I just try to play around them and get them with Pawniard or Elekid, but a good player will be able to take advantage of this teams weakness to Abra and Gastly. **

+
+

**Shell Smashers in general can trouble this team greatly because there is no priority which allows them to sweep my entire team once they set up. Pawniard can counter Shellder in particular, and if you play aggressively enough they will never get the chance to set up, but they are still quite irritating to deal with. However, a lot of players have a tendency of trying to Shell Smash on Mienfoo, so you can just Taunt them.**

Alternative Sets and Mons
==>

**This change is if you feel that two fighting checks is overkill and you want to counter Foongus better. It also brings even more Knock Off spam to this team which is always nice. However, this change makes your team weaker to enemy Vullaby which I personally did not like. Shoutouts to Fiend Hound for the idea. **

==>

**Changing the Scarf Pawniard set to a standard Eviolite Pawniard set allows you to deal with Shell Smashers easier and also lets you choose between moves which can be really nice sometimes. I have tested out both on this team and it is really hard to decide between which is better because they both have their upsides. I prefer Scarf Pawn because no one really expects it and can nab some surprise kills, but the choice is up to you for this one.**

Conclusion

**Overall, I am extremely happy with this team. I have used it for the majority of my LC career and have done pretty well with it. If I had more time to actually complete tours, I probably could have further than Round 4 of Open where I had to unfortunately activity out. A quick shoutout to LFC and the rest of the LC community for being pretty great, and also the Doubles community for being pretty cool. I hope that you all enjoyed this RMT!**

Elekid @ Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 9 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Pawniard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Brick Break
- Stealth Rock​

Snubbull @ Berry Juice
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thief
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Psychic
- Recover

Foongus @ Eviolite
EVs: 124 HP / 160 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

edits: some wording and fixed importable

Last edited:

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
quick fix to abra/gastly is pursuit over brick break on scarf pawn. Scarf pawn without pursuit is a waste of a slot anyway and brick break literally only hits one thing so you might as well use it to trap abra/gastly/goth (also a huge threat) instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)