Return'd

Alright, Doublade has been moved to S after no dissenting voices. A note to Zephyr Dragon Lord- knock off does not mean that zangoose beats doublade, as max attac doublade OHKOs even without toxic damage and only occasionally 2hkoed, while the defensive sets can easily take 2 Koffs. It doesn't like eating a Koff, though.
Doublade is a very nice Pivot, SD user, and Priority user. However its weak special bulk is a liability, and it is Pursuit trappable, so long as Krookodile/Tyranitar gets in safely. S Rank seems ok for it for now because of its powerful Shadow Sneak/Sacred Sword, but maybe consider moving it back down to A+.

On second thought, I really think Volcanion deserves A or A+. It realiably checks Mega-Metagross, Doublade, Azumarill. It also beats most of the specially defensive weak mons, especially the abundant steels. The #1 reason for A/A+ though is the Azumarill check, because it forces the opponent to think twice about spamming Aqua Jet.

And I guess with that, I might as well also say that if Doublade goes to S, Azumarill should follow as well. That is because Azumarill can literally spam Aqua Jet to victory...absolutely nothing is safe from Banded Aqua Jet except Volcanion (and the other sub-par water absorbers).

Last edited:
Doublade is a very nice Pivot, SD user, and Priority user. However its weak special bulk is a liability, and it is Pursuit trappable, so long as Krookodile/Tyranitar gets in safely. S Rank seems ok for it for now because of its powerful Shadow Sneak/Sacred Sword, but maybe consider moving it back down to A+.

On second thought, I really think Volcanion deserves A or A+. It realiably checks Mega-Metagross, Doublade, Azumarill. It also beats most of the specially defensive weak mons, especially the abundant steels. The #1 reason for A/A+ though is the Azumarill check, because it forces the opponent to think twice about spamming Aqua Jet.

And I guess with that, I might as well also say that if Doublade goes to S, Azumarill should follow as well. That is because Azumarill can literally spam Aqua Jet to victory...absolutely nothing is safe from Banded Aqua Jet except Volcanion (and the other sub-par water absorbers).

Umm no. Azumarill is not worth of S rank. Volcanion hard counters the Belly Jet set and beyond that, faster priority can actually kill him after a Belly drum because of the HP reduction.

Volcanion only reliably counters Azumarill really, unless your talking about the bulkier set.

Umm no. Azumarill is not worth of S rank. Volcanion hard counters the Belly Jet set and beyond that, faster priority can actually kill him after a Belly drum because of the HP reduction.

Volcanion only reliably counters Azumarill really, unless your talking about the bulkier set.
First of all, I literally said the Banded set??? Second of all, Belly Drum Azu is bad, and no priority can one shot it as long the Azumarill is at full health and has 252hp evs...

Good now where is chesnaught's ranking? Not a rank anywhere and he's on my team and I'm rank one on my Orangmutan4 Alt right now.
Also, the reason Chesnaught isn't ranked is because we don't know what it runs. If you could please elaborate instead of saying ooh, I'm number one using it then that would be helpful thanks.

Please don't use two different posts when you could merge them into one. Thanks.

First of all, I literally said the Banded set??? Second of all, Belly Drum Azu is bad, and no priority can one shot it as long the Azumarill is at full health and has 252hp evs...

Also, the reason Chesnaught isn't ranked is because we don't know what it runs. If you could please elaborate instead of saying ooh, I'm number one using it then that would be helpful thanks.

Please don't use two different posts when you could merge them into one. Thanks.
I already posted a Chesnaught set here already. Just check the page before. And he's easily the best feint user in the tier.

He can actually Belly Drum and defend from priority like fake out. Obviously struggles with Ghost types but it's no big deal.

As for the banded set, I guess I'm just accustomed to countering Azumarill but he basically guarantees a free kill for Volcanion.

Alright, Doublade has been moved to S after no dissenting voices. A note to Zephyr Dragon Lord- knock off does not mean that zangoose beats doublade, as max attack doublade OHKOs even without toxic damage and only occasionally 2hkoed, while the defensive sets can easily take 2 Koffs. It doesn't like eating a Koff, though.
Yeah, I'm not surprised in the slightest; Zangoose, while it packs a punch, isn't extremely strong like some of the other sweepers in the tier.It helps that Doublade has a ton of defense on top of Eviolite. Though merely having the ability to attack Doublade effectively with a Normal type is a threat in itself; it forces an effective 50/50. Do you Sacred Sword, expecting the Zangoose to stay in, or Shadow Sneak, and bop the switch-in? Getting a Doublade down to early nothing is great, as it blocks quite a few sweepers cold.

On another note, I'd like to ask a question to you all: is using Natural Gift on Talonflame more of a liability or an asset? On one hand, you need to actually use the move to get the Acrobatic effect. On the other.... you can beat some of Talonflame's common counters with a powerful 100 BP SE attack. (Sadly, it does not beat Heatran, even with an itemless Acrobatics. But it DOES take out Tyranitar with Fighting coverage)

When I first read about this meta I thought "oh no, here's another OM that's going to be full of priority spam". I would've loved to have been proven wrong, as there is a lot of room for creativity here. But no, for every player I faced who was being creative, there were 3 more just using generic priority spam teams. I can't help thinking this meta would've been so much better if priority moves didn't get the Return'd treatment. Just my 2 cents.

I already posted a Chesnaught set here already. Just check the page before. And he's easily the best feint user in the tier.

He can actually Belly Drum and defend from priority like fake out. Obviously struggles with Ghost types but it's no big deal.

As for the banded set, I guess I'm just accustomed to countering Azumarill but he basically guarantees a free kill for Volcanion.
Very interesting pokemon, we will have to get more opinions on Chesnaught and where to rank it. I actually think it is quite decent, but really requires to set up before it can do anything. B- would be a good starting place imo.

Yeah, I'm not surprised in the slightest; Zangoose, while it packs a punch, isn't extremely strong like some of the other sweepers in the tier.It helps that Doublade has a ton of defense on top of Eviolite. Though merely having the ability to attack Doublade effectively with a Normal type is a threat in itself; it forces an effective 50/50. Do you Sacred Sword, expecting the Zangoose to stay in, or Shadow Sneak, and bop the switch-in? Getting a Doublade down to early nothing is great, as it blocks quite a few sweepers cold.

On another note, I'd like to ask a question to you all: is using Natural Gift on Talonflame more of a liability or an asset? On one hand, you need to actually use the move to get the Acrobatic effect. On the other.... you can beat some of Talonflame's common counters with a powerful 100 BP SE attack. (Sadly, it does not beat Heatran, even with an itemless Acrobatics. But it DOES take out Tyranitar with Fighting coverage)
Fighting Natural Gift seems very interesting, but seems unreliable as usually you will be spamming Acrobatics, and Natural Gift is only a one time thing unfortunately. Also:

252 Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 292-348 (85.6 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

The only thing I see Talonflame using it for it T-Tar, and even that is a bit weak. In other words, its situational but can be used wisely (especially since Salac is also a decent berry).

When I first read about this meta I thought "oh no, here's another OM that's going to be full of priority spam". I would've loved to have been proven wrong, as there is a lot of room for creativity here. But no, for every player I faced who was being creative, there were 3 more just using generic priority spam teams. I can't help thinking this meta would've been so much better if priority moves didn't get the Return'd treatment. Just my 2 cents.
Actually, your wrong. If you ban priority in Return'd, your practically changing the whole concept of it. Chill out because every priority user has a counter and many checks.

Priority spam may be an issue, and we could ban certain mons who abuse it, but there is no way priority is gonna get banned.

For the 100th time, stop posting mechanic change requests. Do you go into OU and request that Stealth Rock be nerfed? Maybe [insert mechanic here] should work differently? No, you don't. This is its own format. Play it, or don't.

If you want to suspect something for being broken, that's fine. But you should not be requesting mechanic changes in this or any other OM, unless the host invites it off course.

For the 100th time, stop posting mechanic change requests. Do you go into OU and request that Stealth Rock be nerfed? Maybe [insert mechanic here] should work differently? No, you don't. This is its own format. Play it, or don't.

If you want to suspect something for being broken, that's fine. But you should not be requesting mechanic changes in this or any other OM, unless the host invites it off course.
You might want to put that on the first page, because it is clear that no one understands that.

EDIT: are there going to be sample teams here?

Last edited:
If Technician mechanics work on Return'd moves, then Scizor has a pretty tough Bullet Punch. At 150 Happiness, BP's power would be 60, which is then doubled by Technician. And voila! You now have a 120 bp Bullet Punch, which can be devastating with Choice Band or Life Orb.

Today, I will share with you my Bulky Offense team that I created, and how exactly I created it. I have gotten top 20 with this team, and also have used this team to get Mega Pinsir reqs.

Final Team:

Now, into how a built this team!

===================================================================================================

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Knock Off

I built this team off Azumarill. In my opinion, Azumarill is the best pokemon in Return'd because of how hard it is to counter. Anything that doesn't have Water Absorb will get 4HKOed (trust me, calc anything), and most of those pokemon will die from Play Rough or one of the other moves.

Usage Tips: Spam Aqua Jet unless your opponent has a Water Absorb user. If they have something with Water Absorb, consider Play Rough or one of the coverage moves. And also remember, Azumarill can get easily worn down and it's best if you can refrain from it taking Toxic or Stealth Rock damage.

Counters: None
Checks: Doublade, Metagross-Mega, Rotom-Wash, Volcanion

===================================================================================================
I decided that I needed something that could beat some of the aformentioned threats, and still have somewhat decent synergy with Azumarill.

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power/Sludge Bomb

Volcanion has decent synergy with Azumarill. It can check/counter (depending on opposing sets) many steel types, notably Doublade and Metagross-Mega. Also, I wanted something that can make opposing banded Azumarills think twice about spamming Aqua Jet. Sludge Bomb can be used over Earth Power for Fairies, but it is recommended you use Earth Power for opposing Volcanions.

Usage Tips: If you come in on a steel type, use Steam Eruption. Steam Eruption is the most spammable move you have, because of a powerful STAB + burn chance. Hidden Power Grass is for opposing Azumarills and other bulky waters that can beat my Azumarill like Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Seismitoad.

Counters: With the burn chance, there really aren't any counters.
Checks: Rotom-Wash, and many other things...however most of them do not like to be burned.

I decided that I needed a pokemon that could handle Rotom-Wash, beat steels, and had reliable recovery.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe (Alternative Spread: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe + Timid)
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Charge Beam/Volt Switch
- Heat Wave/Hidden Power Ice
- Substitute/Defog/Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

Zapdos does all the things I wanted, and can actually sweep some teams with the combination of Charge Beam + Substitute. I decided to use Substitute because I wanted Zapdos to be a early to mid game sweeper, and I didn't want to risk the chances of losing to a toxic. Plus, I can predict a little less with it. If you do not like Substitute, Defog is a great substitution as I don't have any other pokemon that could hazard remove; however the only pokemon that are weak to rocks for me are Zapdos and Volcanion. Hidden Power Ice can also be used to beat Gliscor and Garchomp, but overall those pokemon are not a huge problem. Volt Switch can be used over Charge Beam, but I highly recommend not doing that. If so, then you most likely want to run Defog so pivoting is easier.

Usage Tips: Assess the opponent's team. If you know they are very weak to Zapdos, then go early to mid game and sweep them. If you see they aren't very weak to Zapdos, then come in on Metagross, Rotom-W, and others to force a switch and get heavy damage off. The alternative spread can be used for a easier time sweeping, but is not recommended because you lose alot of physical bulk for the many physical attackers out there (Metagross, Doublade).

Counters: Gliscor, Garchomp (without HP Ice), Quagsire, Swampert, Seismitoad, Gastrodon
Checks: Tyranitar, Diggersby, Hippowdon

==================================================================================================
I liked how my team was looking, but needed a bulky and powerful pokemon with a nice typing to complement the three pokemon I had.
==================================================================================================

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch/Ice Punch/Pursuit
- Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch/Pursuit

I decided to use Mega Metagross for this role. It's nuking ability is really helpful for this team, as the team can force many switches. I use Power-Up Punch for possible sweeps, but if you would like, Ice Punch is a totally fine replacement for it (to help with Garchomp and Gliscor). Pursuit can also be used, but is really not recommended as what are you going to do with a weak pursuit?

Usage Tips: Come in mid to late game and sweep with Metagross. If that is not possible, just find opportune times to switch-in and do some damage. Metagross' best usage, however, is taking a hit and then dishing out an even more powerful hit. If your opponent does not have a steel type, Rotom-Wash, or other bulky water types, try keeping Metagross so it can nuke their team. If they have three or more steels or bulky waters, then Metagross may be used a a death-fodder, or a good pivot.

Counters: Rotom-Wash, Quagsire, Seismitoad, Gastrodon, Swampert, Skarmory
Checks: Doublade, Azumarill, Magneton, Volcanion, Landorus-Therian, Krookodile

Now I wanted a Pursuit trapper that could trap Doublade, and was somewhat bulky.

Krookodile (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

I know what you guys may be thinking...KROOKODILE??! Well, it does have some niches over Tyranitar, and pretty noticeable too. It doesn't die to a Doublade Sacred Sword, which Tyranitar does. It also is a ground type. That means that it has a really good STAB in Earthquake, argubly better than Rock and Stone Edge because EQ hits steel types. Also, ground type makes you immune to Volt-Switch, and therefore you can pursuit trap those sneaky little electric types.

Usage Tips: Come in on a Doublade right when it comes out, as taking out Doublade is a neccesity. Keep in mind if your opponent has a Doublade, never sac off or allow Krookodile to be below 50% HP, as then it will become a worse Doublade check. You may want to trap other steel and water types like Metagross and Rotom-Wash, but keep in mind they may do alot of damage to you (Metagross two-shots/Rotom one-shots).

Counters: None?
Checks: Azumarill, Skarmory

Finally, I think my team was pretty good, but I wanted one more pokemon with powerful priority and that was semi-bulky.

Doublade (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head/Sleep Talk

Doublade has a good powerful priority and is a semi-bulky pokemon. The set is pretty standard, except for maybe Sleep Talk. You can run Sleep Talk over Iron Head to have a better advantage over Breloom, which Doublade hard-counters except for Spore.

Usage Tips: Come in on pokemon that Doublade can easily counter or check. Beware of Pursuit trappers, as they will hurt. If your opponent has a noticeable pursuit trapper, assess the situation and go accordingly on whether or not Sacred Sword or Shadow Sneak is the right play.

Counters: None...
Checks: Tyranitar, Krookodile, Azumarill, Rotom-W, Volcanion, Zapdos

So that's the team! Some quick announcements:

1. Keep in mind that the usage tips are just there for ideas, and not to base your whole gameplan off of.
  2. There may be more or less counters/checks for each pokemon, the ones I listed are just a general basis.
  3. I actually had Mamoswine before I put in Doublade, due to my dragon weakness. However, it was later decided that there really aren't any dragons in this current meta, and so I decided to ditch Mamoswine because it was really just acting as death fodder and had little impact.
Of course, you are free to remove Doublade and put in something with Stealth Rocks, or even tweak the team. If you want the team copy this:

Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Charge Beam
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Doublade (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head

I really hope you guys enjoyed the team! Feel free to comment if you have questions :pirate:

edit: you can make this into a sample team if you want imas

Last edited:
Today, I will share with you my Bulky Offense team that I created, and how exactly I created it. I have gotten top 20 with this team, and also have used this team to get Mega Pinsir reqs.

Final Team:

Now, into how a built this team!

Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Knock Off

I built this team off Azumarill. In my opinion, Azumarill is the best pokemon in Return'd because of how hard it is to counter. Anything that doesn't have Water Absorb will get 4HKOed (trust me, calc anything), and most of those pokemon will die from Play Rough or one of the other moves.

Usage Tips: Spam Aqua Jet unless your opponent has a Water Absorb user. If they have something with Water Absorb, consider Play Rough or one of the coverage moves. And also remember, Azumarill can get easily worn down and it's best if you can refrain from it taking Toxic or Stealth Rock damage.

Counters: None
Checks: Doublade, Metagross-Mega, Rotom-Wash, Volcanion

I decided that I needed something that could beat some of the aformentioned threats, and still have somewhat decent synergy with Azumarill.

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power/Sludge Bomb

Volcanion has decent synergy with Azumarill. It can check/counter (depending on opposing sets) many steel types, notably Doublade and Metagross-Mega. Also, I wanted something that can make opposing banded Azumarills think twice about spamming Aqua Jet. Sludge Bomb can be used over Earth Power for Fairies, but it is recommended you use Earth Power for opposing Volcanions.

Usage Tips: If you come in on a steel type, use Steam Eruption. Steam Eruption is the most spammable move you have, because of a powerful STAB + burn chance. Hidden Power Grass is for opposing Azumarills and other bulky waters that can beat my Azumarill like Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Seismitoad.

Counters: With the burn chance, there really aren't any counters.
Checks: Rotom-Wash, and many other things...however most of them do not like to be burned.

I decided that I needed a pokemon that could handle Rotom-Wash, beat steels, and had reliable recovery.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe (Alternative Spread: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe + Timid)
Bold Nature
- Charge Beam/Volt Switch
- Heat Wave/Hidden Power Ice
- Substitute/Defog/Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

Zapdos does all the things I wanted, and can actually sweep some teams with the combination of Charge Beam + Substitute. I decided to use Substitute because I wanted Zapdos to be a early to mid game sweeper, and I didn't want to risk the chances of losing to a toxic. Plus, I can predict a little less with it. If you do not like Substitute, Defog is a great substitution as I don't have any other pokemon that could hazard remove; however the only pokemon that are weak to rocks for me are Zapdos and Volcanion. Hidden Power Ice can also be used to beat Gliscor and Garchomp, but overall those pokemon are not a huge problem. Volt Switch can be used over Charge Beam, but I highly recommend not doing that. If so, then you most likely want to run Defog so pivoting is easier.

Usage Tips: Assess the opponent's team. If you know they are very weak to Zapdos, then go early to mid game and sweep them. If you see they aren't very weak to Zapdos, then come in on Metagross, Rotom-W, and others to force a switch and get heavy damage off. The alternative spread can be used for a easier time sweeping, but is not recommended because you lose alot of physical bulk for the many physical attackers out there (Metagross, Doublade).

Counters: Gliscor, Garchomp (without HP Ice), Quagsire, Swampert, Seismitoad, Gastrodon
Checks: Tyranitar, Diggersby, Hippowdon

I liked how my team was looking, but needed a bulky and powerful pokemon with a nice typing to complement the three pokemon I had.

Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch/Ice Punch/Pursuit
- Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch/Pursuit

I decided to use Mega Metagross for this role. It's nuking ability is really helpful for this team, as the team can force many switches. I use Power-Up Punch for possible sweeps, but if you would like, Ice Punch is a totally fine replacement for it (to help with Garchomp and Gliscor). Pursuit can also be used, but is really not recommended as what are you going to do with a weak pursuit?

Usage Tips: Come in mid to late game and sweep with Metagross. If that is not possible, just find opportune times to switch-in and do some damage. Metagross' best usage, however, is taking a hit and then dishing out an even more powerful hit. If your opponent does not have a steel type, Rotom-Wash, or other bulky water types, try keeping Metagross so it can nuke their team. If they have three or more steels or bulky waters, then Metagross may be used a a death-fodder, or a good pivot.

Counters: Rotom-Wash, Quagsire, Seismitoad, Gastrodon, Swampert, Skarmory
Checks: Doublade, Azumarill, Magneton, Volcanion, Landorus-Therian, Krookodile

Now I wanted a Pursuit trapper that could trap Doublade, and was somewhat bulky.

Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

I know what you guys may be thinking...KROOKODILE??! Well, it does have some niches over Tyranitar, and pretty noticeable too. It doesn't die to a Doublade Sacred Sword, which Tyranitar does. It also is a ground type. That means that it has a really good STAB in Earthquake, argubly better than Rock and Stone Edge because EQ hits steel types. Also, ground type makes you immune to Volt-Switch, and therefore you can pursuit trap those sneaky little electric types.

Usage Tips: Come in on a Doublade right when it comes out, as taking out Doublade is a neccesity. Keep in mind if your opponent has a Doublade, never sac off or allow Krookodile to be below 50% HP, as then it will become a worse Doublade check. You may want to trap other steel and water types like Metagross and Rotom-Wash, but keep in mind they may do alot of damage to you (Metagross two-shots/Rotom one-shots).

Counters: None?
Checks: Azumarill, Skarmory

Finally, I think my team was pretty good, but I wanted one more pokemon with powerful priority and that was semi-bulky.

Doublade (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head/Sleep Talk

Doublade has a good powerful priority and is a semi-bulky pokemon. The set is pretty standard, except for maybe Sleep Talk. You can run Sleep Talk over Iron Head to have a better advantage over Breloom, which Doublade hard-counters except for Spore.

Usage Tips: Come in on pokemon that Doublade can easily counter or check. Beware of Pursuit trappers, as they will hurt. If your opponent has a noticeable pursuit trapper, assess the situation and go accordingly on whether or not Sacred Sword or Shadow Sneak is the right play.

Counters: None...
Checks: Tyranitar, Krookodile, Azumarill, Rotom-W, Volcanion, Zapdos

So that's the team! Some quick announcements:

1. Keep in mind that the usage tips are just there for ideas, and not to base your whole gameplan off of.
  2. There may be more or less counters/checks for each pokemon, the ones I listed are just a general basis.
  3. I actually had Mamoswine before I put in Doublade, due to my dragon weakness. However, it was later decided that there really aren't any dragons in this current meta, and so I decided to ditch Mamoswine because it was really just acting as death fodder and had little impact.
Of course, you are free to remove Doublade and put in something with Stealth Rocks, or even tweak the team. If you want the team copy this:

Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Charge Beam
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Doublade (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head

I really hope you guys enjoyed the team! Feel free to comment if you have questions :pirate:

edit: you can make this into a sample team if you want imas
Great team, Ironictrash. It's always fun to face this one because of free wins the challenge it poses. I would also once again like to suggest CB Ttar over Krook- sure, the immunity to Volt Switch is nice, but trapping Zapdos, Talonflame, Rotom-W and Amoongus is far more important. Tyranitar also isn't walled by quagsire, which is nice, and while doublade can KO You 252+ Atk Doublade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 356-420 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO, you can also KO doublade 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 264-312 (82.7 - 97.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock.

Additionally, Krook isn't beating MMeta anyway, so there's that.

Great team, Ironictrash. It's always fun to face this one because of free wins the challenge it poses. I would also once again like to suggest CB Ttar over Krook- sure, the immunity to Volt Switch is nice, but trapping Zapdos, Talonflame, Rotom-W and Amoongus is far more important. Tyranitar also isn't walled by quagsire, which is nice, and while doublade can KO You 252+ Atk Doublade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 356-420 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO, you can also KO doublade 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 264-312 (82.7 - 97.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock.

Additionally, Krook isn't beating MMeta anyway, so there's that.
I understand why people would use Tyranitar over Krookodile. However, personally I like Krookodile more because of Intimidate and its powerful EQ. EQ can beat many of the steel types and is a decently spammable move. Also, Zapdos can't do anything to Krookodile, Talonflame only two shots (and either way Talonflame isn't a problem at all), Rotom-W also beats Tyranitar (so its a lost cause), and maybe Amoonguss, but its not that big of a threat to me.

How is Tyranitar not walled by Quagsire? What does Tyranitar have over Krookodile that allows it not to be walled...?

Also, not sure how Krookodile doesn't beat MMeta...
252 Atk Choice Band Krookodile Pursuit (102BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 324-384 (107.6 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch (102BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Krookodile: 187-222 (56.4 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'd love to try out Tyranitar if I had more time, but I personally like Krookodile for my team. Thanks for the comment!

Gonna toss my team on here because I like it, and you might find it interesting.

This team topped me #5 on the ladder and a friend breached top 20 with it. It also won me a tournament where I earned an extra vote to ban pinsir. It uses interesting sets that counter the metagame very well, while bringing enough offensive pressure to punish teams that don't comply with metagame trends.

If you want to skip the boring parts read about Will-O-Wisp Talonflame, Seismitoad, and Salamence.

Golden Boy (Azumarill) (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Play Rough
This is the standard Azumarill set. I started this team when M-Pin was suspected and decided to just build around the two next most imposing threats, Azumarill and Talonflame. I figured it put huge pressure on any team to be able to counter both of the pair, so these two pokemon are my two main win-cons.

If the other team has an opposing talonflame or metagross, asumarill is used very sparingly, as it takes a full-health azumarill to be able to win 1v1 against either of them. Azumarill also has few counters on the meta, with the most notable ones being rotom-wash and volcanion. Golden Boy has to play careful around volcanions, as it's really not great when they get water absorbs.

Big Pecks (Talonflame)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

The biggest pecks on the meta now with M-Pin gone. Acrobatics' 204 base power requires very dedicated counters to play around. Rotom-W, zapdos, Tyranitar, magnemite's evos, and other bulky steels are the pokemon that can handle an acrobatics.

I run protect for fake out mons. Swords dance is a crazy win-con, as almost no pokemon can handle a +2 acrobatics. Will-O-Wisp makes this set infinitely more interesting, however. With Will-O-Wisp I can show talonflame early, and predict either a doublade or a tyranitar switch-in and get them with the wisp. If a tyranitar switches into a burn, a pursuit is not going to KO if I don't switch. This is very significant, because I can protect once and let the burn damage accumulate, live a pursuit and swords dance, protect again, and then KO the tyranitar, leaving them with a +2 talonflame to deal with. Will-o-wisp can turn Tyranitar from the best TFlame check in the tier to just set-up fodder.

Anyway, all other checks are dealed with adequately as you'll soon see.

Manic Dick (Manectric-Mega) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat

Cool Pivot I just mostly wanted to play with. Typing + ability annoys talonflame and somewhat azumarill. Intimidate in general is a great ability in this tier considering how saturated with physical attackers it is. I played around a lot with the specific moveset, as sadly manectric can't have its cake and eat it too in this case. Hidden Power Ice as the return slot OHkOs garchomp, which is very nice for this team, since rough skin damage builds up and nothing much else wants a piece of garchomp. I ran HP Fighting for a minute to deal better with Tyranitar, but really TTar wasn't such an issue once I learned how to play him with Talonflame. I also ran volt switch as the return slot for a long time since it appreciates the extra damage output of its main STAB. Overall the Pokemon is just a check all and a great pivot and revenge killer.

Fat Greninja (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

This Pokemon is the Heart, Soul, and glue of this team. If you get anything out of this team look at this pokemon. It's my rock-setter and it says fuck you to most pokemon in the tier, and most pokemon that give this team trouble. Seismitoad is the perfect complement to talonflame, counter-countering almost all of talonflame's counters.

Rotom-wash, who gives tflame and azumarill trouble, can't even begin to touch seismitoad. Rotom can Burn me, which I don't like, but seismitoad can rest off the status and come back in whenever rotom comes back in to use up sleep turns.

Zapdos, who otherwise would be a huge problem for this team, is simply stalled out by seismitoad's toxic. Zapdos can't do near enough damage to overcome seismitoad's resting, and stealth rock forces zapdos to switch into 25% hp loss.

Magneton/zone are just straight up fucked.

No physical attacker appreciates a burn, so 102 bp scald is super spammable and hard to switch into. This keeps bulky steels like doublade and m-metagross at bay. Obviously, Tyranitar doesn't wanna be switching into a scald or anything. I even had Vitimtim running grass knot metagross on his team just to deal with this seismitoad.

All these pokemon are pokemon that would otherwise be hard to deal with, but seismitoad just makes me look forward to seeing them on the ladder.

Also, not to mention, seismitoad also keeps opposing azumarill's from spamming any sorta aqua jet.

Ur (Salamence) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost

Salamence completes a defensive core with seismitoad incredibly well. Able to defog shit, that's cool. Hp Flying 102 base power is the main stab, while flamethrower deals with common steel types on the meta.

In his own right, he can switch into common physical attacks like they're nothing. Any mach punches or aqua jets salamence takes them with ease, stacking up a resistance with intimidate. M-lopunnys that don't carry ice punch are kept completely at check by salamence. Volcanions have to choose between hp grass and hp ice to deal with Salamence/seismitoad together, but one of them will always check it.

Salamence sports a 4x resistance to grass, convenient since seismitoad sports a 4x weakness to grass. Salamence is therefore my check to bulky grasses, most notable tangrowth that sees so much light on the meta. Hp flying ohkos that.

Salamence can also live a +2 shadow sneak from a doublade, and 2hko back with flamethrower. This means that a high-hp salamence can switch into a doublade's SD, leave him at +1, and usually end up KOing him. At the very least, leave him within range for TFlame or azumarill to ko him.

Looming (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Protect
- Spore
- Seed Bomb

The Unexpected: Non-Priority Return’d moves

While Return'd is undeniably more priority reliant than OU, it's far from the only strategy. Many viable Pokémon do not Return priority moves, either because they do not have them or because they have better uses. What, then, are these, and what do they do?
Likely the most common ordinary Return'd move, and perhaps the most common period, Volt Switch is an obvious pick for most Electric-types. On them, it acts as a 45% increase in power, and the secondary effect of Volt Switch is just too good to pass up. While it does allow Ground-types to freely pivot in, they could largely do so anyway, and the power boost is crucial- Magneton, for instance, can now use a Choice Scarf and Volt Switch to force out Talonflame and injure the switchin. In particular, it means that versus foes such as Talonflame you don’t have to choose between KOing them and keeping momentum.

Manectric @ Manectricite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
-Volt Switch
-Flamethrower / Overheat
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [ice]

Manectric is a hit a hit and run pivot that loves to come in and use Intimidate. Unlike other Volt Switch users, it has coverage to defeat all of the common ground types, from Excadrill to Landorus-T. Thanks to its high speed it rarely takes hits, and it’s Special Attack stat means that its pivoting hurts. While it does take up a Mega Slot, it’s far from deadweight- with just 40 HP evs it can 1v1 everything A-S not named Tyranitar or Mega Metagross, the latter of which it can defeat after only a little chip damage.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Rest / Thunderbolt

As a Water and Electric-type with Levitate, Rotom-W is able to take on many powerful threats, from Talonflame to Metagross. Volt Switch, then, is exceedingly helpful, as it both forces out Pokemon such as Azumarill and regains momentum for Rotom-W’s team. Thanks to Levitate and its water typing, the Ground-types that would ordinarily love to come in on volt switch find themselves forced to be cautious. While the lack of reliable recovery can be a burden throughout the match, Rotom can mitigate this to an extent by using Pain Split or Rest.

Magneton / Magnezone @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ground]

While they are different pokemon, this evolutionary pair is played similarly enough that they are listed together here for convenience. They both possess the excellent ability Magnet Pull, allowing them to revenge KO the likes of Scizor, Metagross, and Klefki. Of the two, Magneton is usually superior thanks to its greater Speed allowing it to outspeed Talonflame and Weavile while tying Choice Scarf Volcanion, but Magnezone can take advantage of its greater power and bulk to more effectively take on threats such as Mega Metagross and Scizor. Magneton is almost entirely restricted to Choice scarf, but Magnezone has to make a trade between OHKOing Mega Scizor and dealing heaver damage against the excellent speed tier and use against Metagross.

Zapdos @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

While the disappearance of Pinsir has made it far less popular, Zapdos is still a completely credible threat, capable of checking many popular pokemon such as Mega Metagross, Azumarill, and Talonflame. A boosted Volt Switch is very helpful in this role, as it keeps it from being a complete momentum sink. Much like Rotom-W, this set gains its popularity from its ground immunity, dissuading many would-be Volt Switch absorbers. It also has the ability to remove hazards, which Talonflame greatly appreciates, and can threaten Steel-types with it’s uncommon Fire coverage.

Available on almost every pokemon, Hidden Power now offers 102 BP coverage in a wide variety of types. While not all pokemon can effectively use it, it's difficult to expect, particularly given how overlapping most coverage is, to the point that even seeing it hit isn’t always enough to identify it.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power / Sludge Bomb

With a powerful Hidden Power Grass, Volcanion can bypass it’s usual switchins of bulky water types, particularly Rotom-W, with ease. Because of this, Sludge Bomb is often unneeded, but it does have good neutral coverage against some teams. Choice Specs tend to do better against the common bulky balance, but Scarf Sets do better against the sometimes-troublesome offensive teams.

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

With a buffed Hidden Power Fire, Magneton can more reliable trap Mega Scizor. Since it OHKO’s even the bulky Mega Scizor sets without rocks, there is no real reason to run Magnezone over it. Unlike the Volt Switch sets which focus on gaining momentum, this set exchanges momentum for removing counters to a sweeper, particularly Mega Metagross. While Volt Switch does not OHKO Talonflame, however, Thunderbolt still does, allowing it to remain a reliable revenge killer.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
-Hidden Power [Flying] / Hidden Power [Electric]
-Scale
-Hydro Pump
-Focus Blast / Secret Sword

While rare in the current metagame, Keldeo is far from a bad pick thanks to it’s excellent resistances to common Dark-, Water, and Steel-type priority. The buff to Hidden Power and the decline of the Lati@s twins is everything it ever wanted, and while Talonflame can revenge KO it it was fully capable of such in OU. Perhaps the only downside is the increase of the bulky Grass and Water types, but the buff to it’s coverage allows it to handle those as well. Hidden Power Flying defeats Tangrowth and any Amoonguss, as well as the occasional Venusaur, while Electric deals with Azumarill, Slowbro and Starmie. Bug is a decent option to hit Tangrowth and any Lati@s that do show up, but is less reliable.

With its doubled power on switch outs and an improved 102 Base Power, Pursuit turns from a prediction game to a straight up nuke. Bringing in a trapper on anything that can’t take a hit or outspeed and KO back removes that pokemon from the match, be they offensive pokemon like Talonflame or bulky walls such as Rotom-W.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band / Babiri Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Earthquake
While it is a dangerous opponent to stall in OU, in Return’d Tyranitar is an entirely different manner of beast. 102 BP Pursuit can KO even neutral walls on the switch, most notably Quagsire and Skarmory. It can trap many prominent metagame targets, from Doublade to Talonflame, and reliably eliminate them for your team. The water and steel weakness is rather unfortunate, but it can easily pave the way for teammates to sweep, particularly Excadrill with the sand it gives. Babiri Berry may seem like a niche choice, but with it Tyranitar can live a bullet punch from Mega Metagross, giving it a 60% chance to KO after stealth rock, and still can trap many of its former targets.

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Superpower

While less splashable than Tyranitar, Krookodile benefits from its excellent ground typing and its ability, Intimidate. With it, Krookodile can more reliably trap Doublade and has a chance to defeat Metagross without giving up its choice band. While it doesn’t trap Talonflame and is still weak to Water, the combination of Knock Off and Earthquake can all but force many pokemon to switch, Pursuit or no. It also has a far better speed tier, letting it attack pokemon such as Rotom-W before getting burnt.

Bisharp @ Life Orb / Black Glasses / Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch / Knock Off
- Iron Head / Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Perhaps the rarest viable Pursuit trapper, Bisharp lacks the bulk to effectively trap common offensive mons. Instead, it uses the threat of a powerful Knock Off to force out stall pokemon, and then hits them with a Pursuit to KO them as they attempt to leave. It’s far from useless versus offense, however, as it forces Metagross into 50-50’s between Earthquake/Hammer arm and Bullet Punch and deals heavy damage to even the likes of Azumarill and Crawdaunt.

Of course, these aren’t the only options for Returning; there are far too many moves with unique effects for that to be the case. While some are more viable than others, many of these are just as viable as those listed above, simply with a limited distribution of good users.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Swords Dance / Superpower

Despite the sheer power of Bullet Punch, on many occasions it is beneficial to deal larger damage to switchins. Rotom-W, a common switchin, is now solidly 3HKOed, meaning that it can only safely come in on mega Scizor once unless it gets a chance to recover. It also makes predictions far easier,as you don’t have to debate between gaining momentum and KOing the opposing pokemon.

Bisharp @ Life Orb / Black Glasses / Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Defense
- Swords Dance

After a single swords dance, Bisharp is impossible to switch into. Even Mega Gyarados, the bulkiest legal resist, cannot manage it without significant defensive investment. With its great typing and the threat of pursuit, it has no shortage of opportunities to set up- especially since switching on defog counts. Unlike every other pokemon that Returns a non-priority move, its damage output isn’t crippled- sucker punch still has an excellent 80 BP.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spe / 8 Spd
Timid Nature
- Charge Beam
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

While Zapdos isn’t the first pick for an offensive pokemon, its great typing, bulk, and ability to bluff defensive sets allows it to shine as a surprise sweeper. It’s extremely difficult to revenge Ko, as most of the metagame’s bulk is physical and it has enough bulk to take common priority. While It’s in most cases less effective than -and definitely less common than- Volt Switch, don’t be taken by surprise when it starts tearing holes.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Magnet Rise / Toxic

Draining kiss is everything Klefki always wanted- recovery, the a move to stop it from being setup bait, and a move to damage everything that wants to come in on Thunder Wave. Klefki’s utility isn’t mainly, there, though- as the best Spikes Stacker in the metagame, it’s a top choice for negating the effects of Regenerator from the likes of Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Slowbro. Magnet Rise even allows it to take on Ground types, so it can bypass the usual bane of Thunder Wave spam with ease. If more stallbreaking is required, though, toxic is an excellent choice, as Klefki is both immune to it should it be reflected and can take on the bouncer, usually Mega Sableye, fairly easily

Skarmory @ Shed Shell / Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Payback
- Curse
- Roost
- Whirlwind / Defog / Stealth Rock

While Payback may seem to be an odd choice, it almost always doubles in power versus foes that Skarmory needs to hit. It also allows Skarmory to defeat Doublade, who otherwise sets up and uses Sacred Sword to bypass the defense boosts and KO. Curse allows Skarmory to defeat the likes of Azumarill and Metagross while providing a wincon against the physically offensive metagame. It doesn’t have any shortage of options, though, between Whirlwind to stop others from setting up, Defog to support teammates like Talonflame, and Stealth Rock to cripple opposing Fire types that seek to force it out.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet / Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Smack Down
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

While it seems like some absurd combination of offensive sweeper and bulky wall, the actual goal of this set is simple. It's a setup sweeper, but one that acknowledges the role of priority and thus settles for living hits rather than avoiding them. Stealth Rock allows it to bluff a standard support set, while Smack Down deals with ground immunities such as Skarmory, Rotom-W, and Zapdos. Rocky Helmet is there to get a bit of chip damage versus the likes of Azumarill, but if you have those covered Lum Berry is an option for easier setup.

Get out there! There's only one day left to ladder, but Return'd will still be playable on Rom, and there are doubtless many unexplored options even this close to Sun and Moon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)