Reviving the Smogon Frontier

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Many of you will remember the ladder days of NetBattle where several of the most active and talented moderators were designated "Frontier Brains" in a fashion after the Battle Frontier of emerald. Smogon Users had the opportunity to challenge the Frontier where the task was to defeat each and every brain with a maximum of one loss.

We are thinking of bringing something like this back! Please use this thread to ask questions, suggest the format/logistics, and volunteer to be a frontier brain!

Well, this is a tough choice since I wanted to battle but er, I want to particpate as a Frontier Brain.

Anyway, I have a question, will it be 7 brains like before or will it be like Platinum which only has 5 brains?

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The number of brains is something I want people to talk about here. I was considering having 12... one to represent each brain from both platinum and emerald. In such a set-up, obviously not all 12 would need to be defeated.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would absolutely love to see the revival of such an event that was widely popular with the Smogon community.

I fully support the revival of the Battle Frontier.

Apart from the excitement and fun factor the Frontier brought, is there any other motive behind this whole revival?

Edit: I may as well let you know my interest in participating in this competition as a Brain is high.

12 brains seems like a cool idea, like I said on irc i like 9/12 but that might be too many. It definitely has to be at least over 50% (6/12).

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I've never heard of this, but it sounds like real fun, and I also agree that 12 is the magic number here, and I guess i want to be a brain as well!

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
ill be a brain again but only if i get to do CC/random this time, fuck ou

which, i suggest, should be a part of the smogon frontier, just like last time

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm being completely serious in saying that I should be the final brain. If anyone even gets to me, they'll have a very enjoyable final battle, plus I want to take part, it looks fun.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn you've got to be kidding, I was seriously thinking about posting this soon haha.

Anyway, full support. We should definately use all 12 Frontiers from Emerald / Platinum, so less people miss out on a chance to be a Brain.

I'd love the oppertunity, but there's too many more popular / well respected higher authority members who will get first dibs. Really excited for this though, hope it works out.

Definately volunteering to be a Brain if that wasn't clear.

Just thinkin' about some of the challenges we could have
NOTE: This is me just thinking out loud.

:Random
:Each Team is all of 1 type
:DP (no platinum) OU
:Pt OU
:Little Cup
:CAP
:In pokemon XD, there was a 1 on 1 Battle Bingo where each pokemon had only one attack, perhaps a 6 on 6 battle where each poke has only one or two attacks?
:Battle Tower
:UU (when it gets sorted out, WHEN IS THIS HAPPENING?)
:Uber
:
Bologo said:
I would add Pt Tier Mix. The way I like to visualize tier mix teams is that they should be 1 OU/2 BL/3 UU. The OU slot can be taken up by a BL or UU as well, the BL spot can be taken up by an UU as well, but you may not swap lower tier spots for a higher tier spot. Eg. you can't switch Seaking with a Kingdra, but you can switch Kingdra with a Seaking.
:Something where each pokemon isn't allowed to have any of the moves from a common moveset (sort of like the exclusion tournament)
(will think of more to fill in and edit in when they come to mind)

I'm not gonna lie, i know next to nothing about the frontier. I, just thought these could make it more then just "I have to beat these people in ordinary OU matches"

Also, getting your losses at random doesn't seem to be, i dunno, right. Would it be possible to restrict how many times you could challenge random rather then counting it as a loss?

Also, 12 would be interesting, but not having to beat all of them. What would the prise be and would the frontier brains have special badges?

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, there are obviously two Battle Factories, so there should probably be two Brains who will only play Random Battles. Which will definately be run on a best 2/3 or 3/5 basis. However, we could probably have slightly different rule sets for each one to make them different.

This would be awesome! :D This could be very fun!

12 is great, and I too would love to participate as a brain, if possible.

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I know he already volunteered but god damn i was going to volunteer IPL.

Also saying that if we had 12 brains, as long as we kept it at onlly having to win 6-8 times, losing once isn't so steep an accomplishment.

also, why not 7 wins, Battle Tower style?

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just thinkin' about some of the challenges we could have
NOTE: This is me just thinking out loud.

:Random
:Each Team is all of 1 type
:DP (no platinum) OU
:Pt OU
:Little Cup
:CAP
:In pokemon XD, there was a 1 on 1 Battle Bingo where each pokemon had only one attack, perhaps a 6 on 6 battle where each poke has only one attacK?
:Battle Tower
:Maybe a battle where each person uses 6 of the same pokemon (i.e a team of Starmie vs. a team of Lucario)
:
:
:
(will think of more to fill in and edit in when they come to mind)
I would add Pt Tier Mix. The way I like to visualize tier mix teams is that they should be 1 OU/2 BL/3 UU. The OU slot can be taken up by a BL or UU as well, the BL spot can be taken up by an UU as well, but you may not swap lower tier spots for a higher tier spot. Eg. you can't switch Seaking with a Kingdra, but you can switch Kingdra with a Seaking.

Another way to do Tier Mix, is that you have 1 Uber/1 OU/1 BL/1 UU/1 NU/1 NFE. That way your entire team is a complete mix. This isn't really recommended because the Uber would probably just destroy everything.

I suppose that I could volunteer if you guys put in the tier mix challenge, since that's my speciality here, but I'd be too easy to beat for the other ones. :P

EDIT: On second thought, I think I'll stick to being a challenger. I probably shouldn't get into another committment at smogon right when I just retired from one. Hell, I could win this shit. :P

Havak

There should probably be UU, Ubers and potentially NU if sorted as well. If we really have to make every challenge a bit different.

I'll have a proper look at the Frontiers in Plat. though and come up with some suggestions.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll go and volunteer against Jump's position for Randbat action because Jump actually discusses in Stark Mountain where as I do not. Best argument I can go for to get randbat position. : (

I can do BL for a stretch because most people don't remember that BL is a format too.

Aeolus

Bag
I don't like the idea of UU/BL/Uber for some reason... I kinda feel like the Smogon Tour fills that roll and this might dilute it somewhat. Another option is that perhaps each brain could choose the sort of battle they are offering at any given time...

The one randbat was an interesting and fun part of the old system... so I'm not opposed to including that again.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i remember this being really fun to participate in last time (does anyone have the old frontier page, i want to see how many of you brainiacs i ended up beating)

not volunteering to be a brain, im sure there are 12 better battlers than I

Aeolus

Bag
I also really want to see the old page. I'm sure chaos has it somewhere... it seems to be temporarily unavailable for viewing though.

I don't like the idea of UU/BL/Uber for some reason... I kinda feel like the Smogon Tour fills that roll and this might dilute it somewhat. Another option is that perhaps each brain could choose the sort of battle they are offering at any given time...

The one randbat was an interesting and fun part of the old system... so I'm not opposed to including that again.
I think that if it should be a frontier, that each battle should be a littler different, Rather than just a regular OU battle against our best players. Each Frontier battle has a gimmick that makes it different. It would be interesting if we could impliment that, imo.

But i can understand your wanting to not have UU/Uber. I was just throwing out suggestions.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
People who definitely need to be brains: imperfectluck, JabbaTheGriffin, Earthworm, Gouki, Maniaclyrasist, goofball, Taylor. I would volunteer but there is no way I could devote the time to it at the moment (or the patience for when I would get luckfucked for that matter).

These guys are the best of the best that smogon has to offer at d/p, this needs to be a challenge! There should be some kind of tryout imo.

Also, we included UU and Ubers in the Smogon Tour for some variety. I think that would be a very good idea to actually keep people entertained this time around. Having the brains themselves choosing it seems like the best option.

Goofball is back? I was under the impression that quit, came back a few days to see platinum changes, and quit again :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)